Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ceremony; Private
Topic Started: Aug 3 2016, 07:59 AM (625 Views)
The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Another party, another room full of Kingmanites who wanted to hear about how he pinned 195 pounds of pissed off white kid to do what hardly any Kingman wrestler - and none outside good old Cochise High - had ever done before. What was there to tell that hadn't been told, hadn't been on the video that hit youtube or the footage the myriad news cameras caught? The Miner and the Navajo Times and other papers he hadn't bothered to memorise had already scribbled down every interesting thing he could think to say about the biggest wrestling match of his life. What did these kids want? Just to be near a champion?

Hm. That word. "Champion" had lightened his heart and made him feel like he could fly until it was all he goddamn heard from anybody but his parents. And here he was, the masses he usually tried to ignore penning him at this little table he'd sat down by, the teammate who'd dragged him here nowhere to be seen. White faces, a couple brown, gawking at him and barking questions or suggestions or requests or shoving drinks at him when he was pretty sure if he had to say "no, I don't drink, no not even Coke" one more time he would lateral drop somebody through the floor. The air conditioner was on and yet the hum of voices and press of bodies negated it, turned this living room into the middle of the Mojave at high noon. Someone noticed the tightening of his lip, the furrow of his brow, even as some girl's hand brushed down his arm, and there was a small ripple when he came to his feet and they gave him space.

Maybe it being common knowledge he could toss around anybody in this room with ease wasn't so bad. There were a couple concerned queries, maybe genuine, but he just shook his head and tried a smile.

"Guys, I'm fine. I appreciate all this, really, but I need a little air. Make way, yeah?"

They did, a little escape corridor opening up to his right. He mustered the dignity to walk through it instead of run, heading off to the furthest corner from those gawkers and not letting himself release his breath until his back was to the wall.

Parties were fun, usually, but tonight seemed made to test his patience.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A tiny trickle of sweat at his hairline served as answer, but the voice caught his attention anyway and the speaker kept it. A little bit of healthy irreverence, in this miserable dust bowl of a "city" that decided he might as well have descended from Mount Olympus, was almost as refreshing as a tall glass of water. One of those would come in handy soon, as dry as his throat was it might as well have been stuffed with sand - especially once he got a good look at the girl who'd spoken to him.

And a second look for good measure, he was only human. At least the quick sweep up and down his gaze took was quick enough not to be disrespectful, as tempting as it was to linger. Besides, the more pressing matter was the fact he simply had no idea who she was. He certainly wouldn't mind finding out, even as the music thrummed away in the background and the droning buzz of partygoers continued around him.

That was an awful lot of black to be wearing out here in the desert, even in the evening.

"Enough I figured I'd get away from the flames a bit," he offered the mystery girl, slow-built tension in his muscles easing away as he let himself relax properly. He even managed to smile a little.

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"No."

Well, that was a little blunt, but he couldn't resist not answering honestly when someone actually seemed interested in what he thought.

"I like parties, not being gawked at like an exhibit."

Yes, winning a championship was impressive. Anyone could have done it if they'd put in the work, but they hadn't, he had. How many days had he been killing himself on the practise mats while some deep-buried part of him wished he could just laze around in front of a video game, Netflix or the internet like most of those punks did? How many appointments, dates and hangouts had he had to reschedule or outright skip because there was a match, tournament or extra practise? Did they think he ran to school every morning instead of taking the bus for the hell of it?

Work. That was a four letter word here, and not just in the literal sense. Be impressed, respect the accomplishment, sure, but don't treat him like some wrestling machine sent from on high. Mystery girl seemed to get it at least.

"What about you? You don't seem too impressed by this little gathering."

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'm no party expert, but this really isn't a good example of one. Unless your thing is getting drunk and listening to bad music, which it doesn't seem to be."

Parties weren't all the roaring inferno of excess and hedonism the silver screen made them out to be, especially since when those did happen there was the risk of a KPD visit. What was a good example of a party, then? It was hard to say what a party is when all you could come up with was what one wasn't.

"Depends on what you're hoping to get out of it, I guess. What's fun for you?"

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"It's not all posturing."

A half-hearted defence for a party he only had half a heart for. Appropriate. He found himself more interested in the little bit of information she volunteered, a little chuckle even escaping him as she called the assorted attendees "drunk assholes". How very accurate. Wasn't that half of Kingman, except the young souls that still hadn't been crushed enough to lose their dreams of escaping its clutches?

Maybe that was fair, maybe it wasn't, but what they never seemed to realise was he never got on that mat and wrestled for them. His eyes were still on mystery girl, and he remained glad the music had gone down just enough he didn't have to scream across the room to her.

"Pictures, huh? You're a photographer, then?"

Please don't work for the Miner, I'm sick of those guys already.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Vogue, huh?"

A big goal, but then, so was being state champion, or going off to wrestle in the Olympics one day. So many people here had no goal at all, big or small. They were content to just... be. Didn't they understand how limited their time was? Didn't they see there was a whole world beyond the desert? Hell, drive ninety minutes northwest and you hit Las Vegas of all places. A couple hours longer than that and you're in LA. They were so close to the bigger world and yet most here seemed to just accept Kingman. Accept a future of meth and trailer parks and bad teeth and possibly banging their cousins and certainly nobody ever knowing their names. Even some of his team seemed to settle into the idea of their life being baking in the desert heat and never really amounting to anything.

The very thought made his skin crawl. That wasn't a life. He'd sooner drop a neutron bomb on this place than grow old here, and so talking to someone with some kind of actual aspiration? More refreshing than the A/C which was finally starting to do its job on his overheated skin. And she didn't work for the Miner at all, so his silent prayer had gone answered. Clarice would probably like this girl, what with her wanting to direct movies and all.

"How's all that working out for you?"

She certainly looked like she could be a model.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Just keep working at it, I'm sure you'll figure something out. You've at least got a start."

That was what his coach and his parents always said, 'keep working'. Nothing was out of reach if you were willing to just work at it, even if you had to push yourself until your hair fell out. There probably wouldn't be many opportunities in Kingman, there never were, and while that meant he didn't have much in the way of things distracting him from training it wasn't so good for someone aiming to be a model.

Pizza commercial, huh? That might explain why she looked a little familiar, although he was certain he'd remember her if he'd actually seen her. Hrm.

"Sorry, I don't think I got your name?"

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Nadia, huh? Nice name."

He'd definitely remember it, she kind of stood out and he didn't know any other Nadias off the top of his head. The party had long since faded to nothing in his mind, nothing but faint background noise buzzing in the gaps in their conversation. At least she was interesting to talk to, had him wanting to ask more questions. The photography stuff reminded him a bit of Clarice in a way, with her love for film; what was filming but photography in motion?

"It's good to have something to keep going after, too few people in this town do. You have any shoots I could see? I'm curious."

Much like he'd ask an aspiring poet if they'd mind him reading some of their stuff, though he knew a lot more about what made a good poem than a good photograph.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Roderick took the phone in hand as if it would shatter into pieces if he gripped too hard, which maybe it would for all he knew, and had a look at what was on offer. He'd really meant any photography she'd done, but by the time he realised he'd misspoken, whoops, too late. Well, it wasn't all bad at least; she certainly looked impressive in that getup, an opinion that was written clear as day on his face as he continued to scroll.

Sure, Nadia seemed like she'd even make wearing a burlap sack work for her, as looks went, but there was definitely something to be said for photography. He casually took a spot on the wall near where she stood, part so she could see him scrolling and part to see if his proximity was welcome.

"I meant to ask for photos you took," he said, "but this is really good stuff too. You look great."

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Hm."

Even in jest, he didn't appreciate feeling talked down to, telegraphed by a little furrow of his brow and tightening at the corners of his mouth. It was gone as quickly as it appeared though, as he forced down the annoyance, tried to remind himself she almost certainly meant no harm. A moment later, he was calm again, offering her a little smile as if assuring he didn't take anything personally.

"Sorry, I'll admit I don't know the most about this kind of thing. I've got a friend who wants to make movies, but that's different. I think if you keep up work like this, you'll definitely go places."

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'd say."

Roderick actually liked the desert, even if Kingman could burn to the ground for all he cared, but he still chuckled a little at that last part. Pretty, ambitious, and not a bore to talk to, this Nadia was someone he could root for easily enough. Out west probably meant LA, which made sense. Pretty much everything happened either there or NYC these days; he'd probably drift over to California himself at some point. Hell, he'd even been born in LA, though he'd only "lived" there the couple days it took his mother to rest up.

"You've got me rooting for you, at least. It's nice to see someone whose goals go further than working at the gas station on the edge of town."

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"That's the plan. Wrestle in college, try to get on the national team, wrestle in the 2020 Olympics. 2016's too soon, I'd barely be out of high school. From there, who knows; there's only so far you can take amateur wrestling, it's not like baseball or football."

Still, if he got to Tokyo in 2020 and came home with the gold - and his family and coach had encouraged him but made sure he understood just how big an "if" that was - he'd go down in history with Jim Thorpe and Billy Mills. The third Native American gold medallist, the first Navajo. That'd be a hell of a thing. And if it didn't work out, there was always 2024. He could force America to pay attention to his nation's struggles, make things better for his people and for the sport he loved.

Some would say it was a hell of a dream, but a dream was just a goal you didn't work for. Shoot for the moon and never let someone tell you what was impossible, that was what Dad always told him, and look what the older Kanuho had done with his own goals. From Kingman to Stanford and back, then to head of a law firm that stretched from Arizona to California. Not Roderick's own style, really, but it was proof of concept. And besides, not so long ago he'd pinned a guy who'd never lost a single match until he met Roderick on that mat, that had to say something.

"We'll see how it goes, but I'm going to chase it as far as I can."

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"We'll see. I try not to think too much about 'what if it doesn't work out' but I have a few ideas."

Second-guessing himself was the way to failure, and besides, if he didn't get into 2020 or didn't get the gold he'd just try again next time. He'd only be what, 24 when he (hypothetically) headed to Tokyo? Not the youngest wrestler ever but still well into his athletic prime. She was right though, at least insofar as he needed to have some idea of what he wanted to do beyond wrestling. Wrestlers couldn't make it their lives like baseball players or footballers could, the support system just wasn't there. For now, anyway.

By now either the party was starting to fade or he'd just shut it out entirely, because he couldn't hear the music any more over the two of them. Good. He stood there next to her for a moment, just taking in what ambiance remained, before glancing her way again with a little smile of his own.

"I won't give up on my wrestling, so you don't give up on your modelling. Sound like a deal?"

A little joke, but at its core, ambitious people trapped in Kingman needed to cheer each other on.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Same here. You're one of the only interesting people who showed up tonight."

Hopefully the past tense didn't mean she was bored of him. Forget the rest of 'em, even if it wasn't some huge affair the party had picked up just by Nadia showing herself. Let the swirling masses do what they wanted, as much as he liked being around people their idea of fun just didn't really match up with his. How many of them knew anything about a hard day's work, anyway? About chasing down a goal you held so dearly it kept you awake at night and set your nerves afire? At least Nadia here didn't look at him like was crazy for wanting more out of life than he had already.

"Stop me if it sounds silly, but it kind of made coming out here worth it."

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thought you'd never ask. Any ideas?"

Some of the people here were okay, but not okay enough to keep subjecting himself to the tedium. There wasn't much for him here, if he hated the ear-stabbing music and the thought of filling himself to the brim with booze. Frankly, he'd rather be running a few miles or spending a couple hours drilling takedowns, but something about what all work and no play did to Jack came to mind. Nadia was on to something, they both deserved better than whatever anybody currently at this party had to offer them, so why not go find their own fun?

With an exhale that sounded like a little "hup," Roderick pushed off the wall and looked to her, his gaze sweeping down her body for about half a second before he caught it and stopped those thoughts about what "finding their own fun" entailed cold. At least until it wouldn't be disrespectful to think them. As if nothing had happened, he made a sweeping gesture with his hand and gave her a grin, as if to say, "after you".

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Memories from the Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply