Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chilling
Topic Started: Aug 1 2016, 02:05 PM (484 Views)
Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was hot. That was Kimiko's main assessment of the day. She was out shopping for DVD's and other general things. So far though she had only managed to pick up the DVD's. Instead she had been distracted by the intense heat which was hot even by Arizona standards. Thankfully Kimiko had just put a tank top and some running shorts on anything else and she would have been melting.

Which was a good segue-way to the ice cream parlour. Kimiko had decided almost as soon as she had stepped outside that a visit to Diamondback would be needed. Not the best thing for her diet in anyway but she was happy enough that a small tub wouldn't set her back too much. If it did, then she would just go for a run in the evening to burn off the calories. In fact, she made a mental note to do that anyway, would be a nice change of pace from her morning runs.

Gently pushing a door open Kimiko stepped inside. The refreshing air-conditioned air greeted her. She had never really experienced proper air-conditioning like America had before moving but she had grown to love it. In a place like Kingman it was a gift.

The tall person standing at the counter was someone she knew. Someone she was good friends with actually. Caleb was someone who while he could be described as a grouchy old man sometimes was also a good friend of hers. Normally they hung out and talked comics but Caleb had earned her affection when he learned sign language. That was something not everyone did.

The awkwardness of being a mute though was that there was no polite way to greet someone who didn't know you were there. Instead Kimiko typed a message on her phone and sent it to him.

You chilling in here as well. ;P

Good thing terrible puns existed.
Kimiko Kao - - - - - - - The Lagniappe
Travis "Trav" Lynch - - They Stumbled Into Faith and Thought
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Shock Me

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Caleb spoke broken sign language. It was kind of endearing. The thought was there though and that was what counted. That was another benefit of being mute, no one would ever hear her try to speak English while her Taiwanese accent destroyed certain words. She signed back purposefully imitating the way he had signed but adding in an exaggerated pause.

"Hey Big-y"

She had known Caleb since the start of high school. They'd met during an induction activity where you had to partner up and tell each other about yourself. It would have been a perfectly fine activity had the teachers remembered she couldn't speak. They still worked it out after some initial awkwardness and they found out they both liked comics which helped them bond.

Following Caleb's gaze to the ice cream selection that were practically sparkling. There were more flavors on offer than Kimiko knew what to do with and at least three of them were dedicated to various Oreo mixtures. She didn't know why so many flavors were needed but it was a good thing. She enjoyed the freedom of choice that existed in America, the feeling of walking into a place and being overwhelmed by the amount of stuff. It was a weird feeling but an exciting one.

"I'm thinking something like melon so I can pretend I'm being healthy." She grinned up at him as she did so. The height difference between the two of them was ridiculous.

"What about you?"

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"You're on."

When the bell at the entrance to the store rang Kimiko turned a second after Caleb did to see who it was who had entered. She didn't really know Maria very well at all. She knew that the other girl had also moved to America from another country, England, but aside from that they hadn't interacted much.

After politely waving in greeting to the new arrival Kimiko turned back to Caleb.

"Ready to buy me ice cream?" She signed with a grin before setting her hands ready for Rock, Paper, Scissors.

She and Caleb both did the three bounces before shooting.

He had paper, she had scissors.

One to nothing for her. She looked up at Caleb with an eyebrow raised and a grin.

Round two, it was a tense moment. Free ice cream was on the line.

She had rock, he had scissors.

"Aw yeah. Free ice cream for me!"

Kimiko raised her arms slightly in victory and did a small pirouette.

"Still want to me to go all the way? I could always go for another scoop."

Resting her index finger on her chin Kimiko pantomimed thinking the idea over as she waited for Caleb's response.

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sticking out her tongue Kimiko turned around and starting looking through the flavours. It didn't take her long to decide as she had already made up her mind when she walked in. It was strawberry and melon. That was her choice. When she turned back around Maria starting was asking them a question.

Oh, she was asking if they had a change for a fifty. That wasn't something Kimiko carried around. When Caleb looked at her she blinked a bit and then checked her purse. She didn't have much in there, about enough for a single serving. The other thing was why did Maria have a fifty? There was no reason to have a note that big. It wasn't practical unless she planned to buy either jewelry or furniture and Kimiko was guessing that Maria wasn't buying furniture. How much money did you have to have to leave the house with a fifty like it was no big deal?

She shook her head at Caleb and quickly signed a response.

"Got enough for a small."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If there was one thing Kimiko hadn't been expecting it was the appearance of Irene. It was more than a little out of nowhere. Although it wasn't unwelcome, Kimiko had known Irene since middle school. Irene had forced her way into being Kimiko's friend. It hadn't been an elegant process in any sense but Kimiko could appreciate the effort. She was like Caleb in that she had learned sign language to be able to communicate easier with Kimiko. So like with Caleb that had earned Kimiko's affection. She was however standing way too close and Kimiko subtly moved back a pace to get some breathing room.

Like a lot of the others Irene's sign language was passable but could be stilted. She missed out the specific actions used to differentiate words a lot but Kimiko was able to work around it. She did however feel her cheeks go slightly red when Irene referred to Caleb as her boyfriend. That was an awkward mishap.

"This is Caleb. He's my friend." Kimiko quickly signed a response while choosing at the same time to make a deliberate effort to ignore what had just happened. She had never thought about Caleb, or anyone for that matter, like that. It was a weird feeling to consider. What it wasn't was something she needed to dwell on in public...in front of said person. She was sure the redness of her face was totally noticeable now and it wasn't due to the heat outside.

"I'm fine, pretending to try and be healthy. But thanks!" It was a rushed sentence she wanted to move on. As luck would have it Caleb was already moving to the counter to purchase their ice cream. Kimiko quickly trotted over and pointed out the two flavors she wanted when the cashier pointed at her expectantly. Strawberry and Melon. Kimiko was sure he rolled his eyes at the fact she didn't actually say anything but she ignored it and turned to Caleb.

"Thanks, next time I'll pay."

V5
Unknowns

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Diamondback Ice Cream Parlor · Next Topic »
Add Reply