Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Looking for a Mind at Work; Open
Topic Started: Jul 27 2016, 11:26 PM (796 Views)
Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Jordan Green pregame start))

Jordan rewrote the line for a third time, an exact copy of what he had written the two times before. Nope, of course that wasn't working at all. It had barely been five minutes and he was already stuck. Each additional sentence seemed to be making less and less sense, slowly turning the entire page into an incoherent mess, and not even in a good absurdist kind of way either. More like a particularly bad comment on some political blog or forum which somehow made grammatical sense, but had leaps of logic so large that even the most daring of stunt drivers would be worried about jumping the gap.

Perhaps it wasn't the best of ideas to be writing in the grounds during lunch time, the noise certainly wasn't exactly helping him concentrate at all. The day was just a little overcast, and the cooling weather had enticed him out here to do some work over lunch, but it seemed that half the school had also thought the same way. Maybe he should have gone to the library after all, even if he wasn't supposed to eat there, it might have been quiet enough there to actually get something done. Sometimes a little too quiet, he reflected, there was a point where quietness drifted into eerie silence and the library was sometimes like that on its most quiet days, and given the number of people out here, that might actually have been the case.

But he was already out in the grounds, at a picnic table that he was rather sure wasn't even made of real wood, with half-finished sandwiches and scripts and thoughts and no real appetite to finish any of them. A check of his phone and the grand total of zero notifications there confirmed the absolute lack of anything going on, and the battery was just low enough for him to nix the idea of surfing the web to pass the time. Wonderful, he thought to himself, surveying the lawn for familiar faces. For once, actually talking to people looked like a big step up from sheer boredom, especially since it didn't feel like he'd be getting any work done over lunch anyway.
Edited by Randomness, Jul 28 2016, 01:28 AM.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Huh?" The question surprised Jordan, having seemingly come out of nowhere.

He turned to be greeted by bright pink, surprise enough when Jordan was at his most aware but it seemed that he was really completely out of it today, letting Jasmine sneak up on him like that without being noticed. Perhaps that had been her goal too, and the thought alone set off an alarm bell or two off within his head. Even if she seemed half as shocked at her own words as he was, her reaction was something that his brain could only register as cute, and Jordan found himself a little unnerved at the unexpected interruption.

"Um, hi Jazz...mine," Jordan said, mildly uncertain whether he was exactly familiar enough with her to call her Jazz. It wasn't as if they didn't talk at all, but then again it wasn't as if they were all that close either. He knew most of the anime club people somewhat, but he wasn't exactly on great terms with many of them. Very few people even knew about his interest in anime at all; he hardly went around parading his love for anime or anything like some people did. But Jasmine did, and he respected her for that as much as he judged her for being a complete embarrassment at times.

"No need to apologise, I guess?" Jordan replied, wondering if she was just apologising for disturbing him. He did give off the impression that he'd like to be left alone sometimes, but that wasn't exactly something to apologise over, was it? "There's still a bit left I guess, but not really enough for anything useful."

Jordan was a little unsure of what to do next. It wasn't as if he actually had much he wanted to say. Definitely there were things he could talk about, but it seemed he'd probably end up whining about how much trouble it was actually getting any writing done, which didn't exactly make for riveting conversation.

"It's a pretty nice day to be out though, isn't it?" he asked, though he felt a mild sense of frustration after doing so. Talk about cliches. Obviously his default choice for small talk just had to be the weather. "I mean, it's not every day you see the grounds this crowded."
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jazz made an emphatic statement over the state of his phone, to which he could only respond with a mild shrug. Shitty smartphones with shitty batteries were the shitty standard and Jordan had learnt to deal with it somewhat and while it would be nice to get a bit of charge, it wasn't exactly necessary.

All the more so given how much trouble she had gone to untangle the mess of wires that she had pulled out of her pocket, only to find that there was no place to charge it anywhere nearby. Jordan himself was used to placing his wires in different compartments of his bag, somewhat neatly folded, so he rarely had to deal with tangled wires so much himself. "It would be nice if they'd put power sockets in the benches round here, though I guess it might be a bit of a disaster infrastructure-wise, " Jordan said, half wondering if that would make the crowds here even worse. He'd likely wouldn't have gotten a bench if kids with dying laptops and smartphones were too desperate to get power.

"It's okay, anyway," he said finally, "I can wait until we get back to class." She was looking around a little, nodding her agreement to his judgement on the weather. At least the weather was an inoffensive enough subject. The only reason why it was a perennial mainstay of small talk, really.

Jazz was halfway through her reply when she just stopped, the end of her sentence left hanging as she noticed something nearby. Sandy Bricks was crouching in the grass not too far away, a camera in his hand and it was pointed in their direction. Oh hell, no. The picture had better not end up in the school paper or the yearbook. It was pictures like this that started rumours and he already had enough to deal with already. Also, why was today sneak up on Jordan Green day? They should have gazetted that as a national holiday way sooner if they were gonna do it at all.

"Sandy!" he called out, hoping that the mix of emotions in his voice didn't sound too much like anger. "Is that a new camera?" Okay, not exactly what he was planning to say but what was he supposed to do? Tell Sandy to delete it? At least this way, he'd likely see the photo first before he actually judged it any more.
Edited by Randomness, Aug 4 2016, 05:43 AM.

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah sure, I'll take a look too," Jordan replied. Jazz could have the first look. Not because he was chivalrous or anything like that, even if he did think of himself as having good manners, but simply because she was already tromping straight up towards Sandy. There was no way Jordan would have the energy to compete with that. He followed after her gingerly, peering over her shoulder to look over at the small image that Sandy was holding out towards them.

"That's... actually pretty nice," Jordan said. He could already see why Sandy had taken that shot. It was a quiet, serene shot that really fit the atmosphere of that spring day. There were probably other subtler things that he was missing, not knowing much about photography himself, but a good photo looked good for a reason and he didn't need to know much more than that. Honestly, now that the initial surprise of Sandy taking the photo had worn down, Jordan decided that he would have quite liked that photo if not for his own nervous face on the screen.

Yeah, there was no point being mad at Sandy for taking the photo anyway. It wasn't as if Jordan himself wasn't occasionally prone with using creative licence with the personalities of people he knew anyway. It did come off as a little creepy, even to himself, but the end result was (probably) people who sounded a little more like real people.

Not that it would making staring at his own face any better though. Jordan looked between Sandy and Jazz, standing there somewhat awkwardly, wondering exactly how much longer they were going to spend looking at that picture.

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The few seconds it took Sandy and Jazz to gauge the photo felt like forever. Jordan had already made his comment on the photo and now he felt extraneous, with nothing more to add to the conversation at hand. He didn't want to stare at the picture too long either, feeling like it was rude. He himself knew how if felt to have others see your work, even if it wasn't bad. Especially if it wasn't bad.

Sandy didn't seem too happy with Jazz's off-hand comment about his camera, but Jordan wasn't keen to take a side. Jordan didn't know much about cameras beyond the one on his phone and had only noticed it was new since it looked different from his previous camera, after all. It certainly didn't look superficially fancy like a DSLR though, so he could kind of see where Jazz was coming from. But Sandy was the one who knew about cameras and photos, so Jordan was just going to take his word for it.

He looked back to the park bench for a second, the open page of his notebook flapping lightly in the wind. The sandwiches were still there too. He couldn't see his pencil either. Perhaps it had rolled off somewhere? If it wasn't for the fact it would be awkward for him to leave suddenly, he might have gone back to rectify that. And stuff the notebook in his bag, too.

"What?" Jordan suddenly realised that Jasmine was addressing him. "Yeah. It's real nice," he said, not quite sure whether he was supposed to be complimenting the photo or the camera. The camera, he decided. The picture was nice enough after all. The camera however was a bit of a mystery to him too.

"What kind of a camera is it? Doesn't look like the usual kind all the professionals seem to like."
Edited by Randomness, Aug 12 2016, 09:51 AM.

Those no longer with us

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Grounds · Next Topic »
Add Reply