Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Looking for a Mind at Work; Open
Topic Started: Jul 27 2016, 11:26 PM (797 Views)
Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sandy Bricks continued from Picture Perfect))

Sandy turned the Leica M9 in his hands, the sleek camera reflecting the midday sun back at him off its four figure price lens. It still felt a bit unreal to him.

When he’d opened the box with the beast of photography inside back at home, he’d felt giddy. He’d felt amazed. He’d felt more than a little bit guilty about spending so much cash on it. He hadn’t even told Uncle Tom about buying it; he’d just been staring at it for a few days, and lost himself in its hypnotic focus as he made the purchase. What felt even stranger to him was that it hadn’t put anything resembling a dent in his bank account.

Having all the money from the settlement available to him now was alien, and it would take some getting used to. This was his first big splurge, ‘a gift for myself’ he’d said to sweet talk his head into going along with it: something to celebrate school being almost done. He could’ve bought it after he’d actually graduated, but at the end of the day it was all just an excuse, after all.

Maybe it was reckless to spend so much money on a whim, but goddamn did it take good shots.

He looked through the lens again, surveying the Cochise grounds around him. People were hanging out, talking, whilst he stood away from everyone else, like usual. Sometimes it felt like they were in two separate worlds, but he knew he shouldn’t think like that. He had to try and integrate with other people more.

Maybe that’s what had made him bring the camera to school that day. He knew he really shouldn’t have: it was so expensive, and it could have gotten damaged or stolen at school. At the same time, though, he kind of wanted to show it off to the friends he did have who shared his passion for photography.

He hadn’t run into any of them yet though, not that he’d been trying that hard. Instead, he kept looking around, taking in the lunchtime rush.

Damn it, he had to take a picture of something.

He looked around, spying Jasmine and Jordan’s conversation. The way the light fell behind them as a backdrop, combined with a mutual nervousness amidst the dozens of other students around them, spoke to him. Demonstrating that social awkwardness that people loved to throw at high schoolers, It was a very natural image, and that’s what he liked to see.

Without really thinking, he closed in on the scene, crouched on one knee, and took the shot.
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Crap, spotted.

Sandy tensed up as he realised what he had just done: taking pictures of people unsolicited didn’t always go over well, after all, and he was stuck in an awkward position of how to explain himself.

“Hey, Jordan.” He replied in a terse tone, still unmoving. “Y-yeah, I just got it yesterday.”

This was a tricky predicament, and he was painfully aware of it. Animals didn’t normally care if you took shots of them, as long as you kept your distance, but of course people were different. He hadn’t really had to justify his shots much before, maybe one or two times, so he was searching for an explanation that wouldn’t come off as creepy and invasive.

“Sorry, I just wanted to test it and it was a good shot.”

He knew Jordan from class, but the girl next to him was a stranger outside of seeing her around the school, maybe. It was hard to really be sure: there were a lot of faces and after a while they all blended together. Either way, he hoped they’d both be cool with it.

The picture was waiting for his judgement on the preview screen of the camera, which finally caught his attention.

“Do you want to see it?” he asked, already walking over before even properly looking at the picture himself. He was focusing on not looking like a creeper at that moment, after all.
V7 Freunde

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, he wasn’t having any insults shouted at him, so that was a good start. Meeting his two subjects in the middle of the distance between them, he took the time to properly evaluate his own work whilst they took in their photo moment.

How he’d seen it from afar had come out very nicely on his camera: lighting was good, the mood was there, and nobody had walked right in front of his shot. At a quick glance, it was a successful shot.

However, as he dug deeper, all the little flaws came out: some of the shadows in the shot fell awkwardly and made the whole thing look streaky, and whilst he couldn’t be certain, it looked like some girl in the distance had been looking at him, though at the same time it might’ve just been a coincidence. She was far off enough to the side that he could always crop her out, but Sandy still didn’t care for digitally altering his work.

He frowned a little, but not too much. It was still alright for the most part, and if nothing else at least Jordan seemed to like it. He wished he could like it too, but it was what it was.

Jazz, on the other hand, managed to press an entirely different issue. His new camera looked old? What?

“Uh, no, I did just get it out of the box yesterday, like I said.” He replied with more than a hint of irritation. “This is a Leica M9 you know; it’s a pretty high end camera.”

He was rather perplexed, and just a little bit threatened, by the very much unfounded statement regarding his spiffy new toy. Maybe she didn’t know anything about cameras, maybe not, but the thing that cost more than a used car most definitely wasn’t old, as far as he was concerned.
V7 Freunde

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just what exactly was Jasmine babbling about?

How the camera looked was totally irrelevant. Ok, yes, as an artist he appreciated sleek and geometric aesthetics, but it didn't mean a thing to how an actual shot came out. And who in their right mind would use neon on anything that wasn't a glowing beer sign?

If Jordan hadn't provided a suitable distraction, he might very well have started a small fight with the girl. He wouldn't say he was angry with her, but she was saying some frankly stupid things and that probably would've come across in his response, and then she very well could've gotten upset and suddenly the whole conversation turned into a mess. So, yeah, thanks Jordan.

So, Sandy took his eyes off Jasmine to focus on him instead. "Again, Leica M9." he said for the second time, turning it around in his hands to show it off. "Leica's a pretty well respected brand, though it does set you back a bit."

"I'm not sure what you mean by the ones professionals like, though." he continued, sounding less irritated with the suggestion that his camera wasn't professional grade and more interested in talking about what the pros would be using. "You might be thinking of cameras with larger lenses on them, or a particular make. I got this one for street photography, but I am looking to get some lenses to go with it, and I've got three other cameras back at home anyway." That would, of course, set his bank account back even further, but who was he to deny himself all the parts he needed.

He glanced down at the preview screen again, looking at his imperfect shot one more time. "Do you want me to send this to you guys? It's not really any good, but I can forward it on when I get home later."
V7 Freunde

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Grounds · Next Topic »
Add Reply