Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
In C.; Open
Topic Started: Jul 20 2016, 10:06 AM (643 Views)
Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Amanda Tan continued from Morning Dew))

Amanda loved days like today. She likened herself to a plant sometimes, needing warmth and sunlight to sustain herself and it was days which were bright and sunny like it was right now that really got her mood up. Other people might like the cold but feeling numbness in all her extremities was not something that Amanda really enjoyed. And just putting on an additional coat didn't help, her face would still be cold and she'd now have the additional benefit of looking like that marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. Besides, Kingman weather was hot and dry which was perhaps a million times better than hot, humid and sweaty. This was about as hot as spring got around here, and even with a light jacket on, Amanda felt more than comfortable.

And she'd finished her errands too, sending her poor old laptop in for repairs at the local shop. The device itself was ancient but it had served her well so far and it had turned out to be just the RAM coming loose. Maybe she would upgrade one day, but for now she was more than willing to continue on with it until it became slightly more unusable. No point replacing what wasn't broken after all. Not that she was poor or anything, but she had an attachment to her belongings, useful or not.

She turned into the park on a whim, it wasn't exactly a shortcut back home, but it a nice enough route, and she might as well make the best use of her day given that she was out anyway. Michelle had been busy lately, the 'A' levels had just released their results back home a week back or so and it was now co- university application time for those back home and Michelle was scrambling to get all her things in order. That meant that the usual weekly gaming session had been cancelled today, and Amanda knew better than to disturb her in any case. So she had a time to spare, and the park was far nicer than most other routes anyway.

The streak of colour had caught her attention even from a distance, she had seen some truly majestic ones before, snakes, dragons and chains that seemed to go on forever and ever but this kite was different, flashy in a graceful way, stunning in the blue midday sky. It dipped down steeply as she approached, like a bird of prey finding a new victim, before tumbling to a horrid stop against a smallish looking girl.

Kite Girl began talking to a girl sitting nearby, and Amanda recognised them both as Cochise students. Amanda knew Lili somewhat, if only because there were so few Chinese students in the school, though she knew little apart her beyond her name. Cass was someone she knew a little better, having had a few classes with her before, but she wasn't someone she was very well acquainted with either. But even though she didn't really know either of them, the kite was cool enough for her to feel like she should at least take a closer look.

"Hi guys. That's a pretty sweet kite you have there," she said to the pair. Hopefully she would manage to not scare the two of them off with that one sentence.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The kite lay on the ground, looking somewhat half dead, its coloured frame twitching lightly along with the wind. The kite seemed a little sad to be trapped here on the ground, a sentiment that Amanda could fully get behind.

Intruding? So the two of them weren't close friends, making Amanda feel a little better about interrupting whatever they were talking about. Cass seemed to be far more afraid than expected and Amanda was somewhat certain that had she been standing up, it would have just been her and Lili there alone now. But Cass was seated with a sketchbook and pencil in her lap, making it obvious what she had been here for. Art people . Amanda drew sometimes, but what she drew were semblances of caricatures of things. People who could actually draw well were a little like magic to her. Not that she would ever say that, but yeah, magic.

A distant sight took her interest for a second, the running figure was more than a little familiar to her. Georgia Lee was also in the park that day. Had she passed by earlier without her noticing? Georgia Lee was pretty cool. Sure, some people said that she was stuck up, but to Amanda, she was someone who actually managed to get things done. Anyone who could actually help her actually finish school projects were a big plus in her book. But, Georgia was running in the other direction, too far too call out. It was a real shame. She might have liked the kite. But Amanda wasn't about to miss the kite returning to its rightful place in the sky and could only watch as Georgia Lee made her way out of sight.

"Hmn? Yeah, Lily, right?" Amanda said, the mention of her own name bringing her back to the kite. "I'd love to see the kite up close. I did kiting a couple times, back in Singapore. It was pretty amazing, because it was up on this huge grass roof thing where you can see the entire city skyline from, and since it was right by the coast the wind was really nice." Okay, so that was a half lie. The Marina Barrage was really a great place for kites, but she had only been there for family picnics, and even then, that was just the once. Still, the hundreds of kites there testified its quality as a kiting location. Besides, it sounded way better that she knew a couple things about kiting, right?

"Oh, she's Cassandra," Amanda said, answering Lili without thinking.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Okay, sorry." Amanda almost took a step back instinctively. She hadn't exlpected "I got it. Cass."

Cassand- No, she was Cass. Cass. Cass. Ugh.

Amanda hated making people upset and she wasn't even completely certain what she had done. Did other people call her Cass too? It seemed to be the case, and that would mean that Amanda had just made dumb assumptions this whole time. The mistake had been so avoidable as well, she could have just said Cass and the problem wouldn't have been there at all. The teachers called her Cassandra, right? Did Cass not like her name? It sounded nice enough to Amanda but perhaps there was some history to that. Now wasn't the time to pry though, the girl seemed somewhat upset and Amanda decided that she might as well try to be more careful around her a for a moment, but the questions continued to nag behind her at the back of her mind.

Lili had brought the kite towards them, the wind bringing a weird acrid smell along as she did. Amanda was keen to let the problem over Cass's name drop and turned her attention over to the kite instead. "It looks way cooler up close. How much did it cost?" she asked, joining Lili and Cass on the ground.

She desperately wanted to see the kite go back in the air, but Amanda had never actually flown a kite before. How did kites even work, really? She'd love to actually help get it of the ground too. Maybe she shouldn't said that she knew stuff about kites. Right now she would have to wait for Lili to actually fly the kite. That would probably happen soon, right?
Edited by Randomness, Aug 13 2016, 10:39 AM.

Those no longer with us

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Liberty Park · Next Topic »
Add Reply