Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pizza Rats; PM for entry
Topic Started: Jul 17 2016, 02:49 AM (453 Views)
frogue
Member Avatar
just a picture of a cloud
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Fuck me, ya actually showed!"

Johnny raised his voice a little as he walked up, so as to be heard over whatever shit it was his friend was listening to. If anyone looked askance at the language, it went unnoticed by him. People'd think he was trash no matter how nice he spoke, so fuck it, right?

He gave Caleb a grin, baring yellowing teeth that seemed to be at every angle but vertical. Caleb pulled one earbud out of his ear and nodded in greeting.

"An' here I was thinkin' you'd grown all cold on me. When I saw ya yesterday, you wouldn't even answer to your name, when I called out to ya! Actin' real weird, too. Dressed all funny, an' sayin' the strangest shit! Ya know, I mentioned our plan to get higher than God this Friday night, and you were all "I'm Andrew you idiot"! What kinda way is that to talk to ya dearest friend, I ask ya?"
Links

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The art of small talk, Johnny reflected, was a dying one.

He waited a moment, then followed Caleb into the "restaurant". As the other boy made his way towards the counter, Johnny turned to a couple sitting down at a table, near the door.

"Hey y'all, don't worry, I got that."

He flashed a smile and took the tray from their table, laden with empty paper plates and crumpled napkins, and made his way to the bins. He held it open with his left hand and pantomimed pushing the trash in, snapping a brief glance over his shoulder at Caleb. His friend was engaged in conversation with the cashier and had her attention. Ideal.

Turning back to the garbage, Johnny rolled up a sleeve and stuck in his hand, feeling around until he found the rim of a cup, and pulling it out with two fingers. He placed it on top of the bin, shook the rest of the garbage off the tray, and then with cup in hand made his way to the drink machines. He placed it under a tap and then turned his back and pretended to be absorbed in one of the giant, neon menus as he listened to the sound of Sprite pouring.

Johnny Ray McKay had made a promise to his brother some years back not to steal, or as Johnny understood it to at least steal less. This though, he would have argued, could hardly be called stealing. If he'd paid for the cup, he could stand at the machine with his finger on the button and watch two, three gallons of soda just drain away, and they wouldn't call that stealing. Some diabetoid could chain these things, just sit here all day drinking them end on end until their veins ran with the shit and nobody'd so much as blink, but two healthy boys, two growing boys want so much as a single cup and fuck me, suddenly it's a felony.

How was that fair?

Johnny took a lid and a straw, and had the latter through the former right as the cup began to overflow. He turned, and capped the drink in a single, practiced motion. It wasn't exactly their first time doing this, and if Johnny said so himself, he was getting mighty good at it.

Caleb definitely made things easier. Johnny hadn't an idea of what the boy said to the people up there, but they always seemed to like him fine. People didn't like Johnny, not so much. Girls smiled at Caleb. Strangers didn't smile at Johnny when they talked to him. They narrowed their eyes, and they watched his hands to make sure he wasn't taking anything.

He took a sip of the Sprite.
Links

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Johnny kept his eyes on the ground, as Caleb walked past, but he couldn't keep a smirk off of his face. If this were really so wrong, surely the good lord wouldn't have made it half as fun.

He waited a few moments, then turned and followed his friend out, keeping the soda close in against his body, insurance against eyes on him from the counter.

The eyes of the couple whose tray he bused were on him as he walked by, and with his free hand he gave them a little wave as he walked by.

"Y'all have a nice day now."

He joined Caleb outside.
Links

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah?" Johnny pulled the collar of his t shirt up toward his nose and sniffed. "Eh, I ain't exactly in a position to be castin' aspersions, y'know?"

He passed the soda to Caleb, and pulled his own cigarettes from the back right-hand pocket of his jeans. They were battered and flattened, from being sat on. He put one in his mouth, then patted at his pockets for a lighter. Not finding one, and seeing Caleb preoccupied, he plucked the cigarette from his friends mouth with two grubby fingers and lit his own from the end of that, then replaced it.

"You're a real pal, Caleb. I like ya enough I'll even pretend not to notice you're smokin' fucking Newports."
Links

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Raised in the U S of A, baby." Johnny gave Caleb a grin. "Land of takers. Georga Washington never said "oh excuse me, can I borrow some independence for a second" yeah, did he?"

He took back the soda with an extravagant gesture.

"And fuck you, you gotta cover up my smell. This is a man's smell. A workin' man's smell, yeah? Summa us gotta make our own way in the world, we can't all just," Johnny put a hand to his chest, palm up, and bounced it up and down, as if cupping an invisible breast, "suck on the teat of fuckin'... big bank corporate America, can we?"

Johnny didn't wait for an answer.

"Anway, what's that shit?" He waved his hand, indicating Caleb's phone. "Lady troubles?"
Links

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, hey, no you're right Cale. Red man never took anything. Ya head down past Yucca to the Spirit Mountain and they let yoa play the slots for free!"

Johnny took a sip of soda then spat, before proffering the beverage to Caleb.

"An' if you wanna take a run at Tricia McKay I ain't gonna stand in your way. You're prolly her type, too. Tall. Unemployed. Surly. More successful older brother. Probably gonna peak in high school. Shit, you're perfect for her! Shit, maybe I thought so myself? Maybe I called ya down here to see the two of you up?"

He inhaled deeply, then tried to blow a smoke ring for emphasis. It came out a great shapeless cloud. Caleb didn't look particularly impressed, though if that were at the abortive attempt at smoke sculpting, or at his friend in general, Johnny couldn't say. Definitely lady troubles, he concluded.

"Aww, look at the suspicion on that face. So I need a reason to spend a hot minute with my oldest n' dearest friend, now?"
Links

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Ya wounding me here, Caleb!" Johnny clutched at his heart, and pouted.

"It's like ya don't even love me anymore! It's fine, it's fine, I know when I'm not wanted. I'm heading back to the park, wanna come with? Neighbour kid got themselves a tattoo gun. Think I'm gonna get me a big cross, y'know, right on my back. Maybe one of them Jesus fishies." He drew the symbol in the air with the end of his cigarette, then took it into his mouth and inhaled, before stubbing it out against the sole of his shoe and tossing it towards the gutter.

Ya know, I pray so hard every night, but I never seem to hear much reply? So just in case the Lord our God's gone temporarily hard of hearin', I gotta make extra special sure that he knows for definites 'bout admiration an' adoration for him, yeah? You want in on that? Maybe get yourself like a 'My other twin's successful' tramp stamp?"

Johnny didn't think Caleb was likely to come along: most townie kids were too good for the park, and Caleb was in a hornets' nest kinda mood, today. Still, inviting him along was the Christian thing to do.
Links

frogue
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Johnny bumped the fist held out to him, and watched as Caleb walked off.

He remembered not knowing what to make of the tall sullen boy, when first they'd met. It was some bullshit with his twin, Johnny had decided, made Caleb act the way he did. Johnny had never spoken to his friend about it, but he had a theory that the reason Caleb dressed like his dad worked at a truckstop rather than a bank, the reason he smoked his spook cigarettes and hung out with trailer trash, was to be as different as possible from Andrew.

If the boys were similar, people might make comparisons, and if people compared them Caleb just might not measure up. To Johnny's mind it was stupid. Like some ugly clothes and an ugly friend were ever going to stop people comparing you to anyone. It was what people did, it wasn't like you could stop it.

Johnny tried not to judge people. You weren't supposed to cast stones unless you hadn't sinned yourself. Johnny didn't think he was all that bad, but he certainly wasn't perfect.

He kicked at Caleb's cigarette on the pavement, sending it skittering into the gutter. It slipped between the grates of a drain and fell out of sight.

[Johnny Ray McKay continued in People II 2: Still Peoplin']
Links

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Main Street · Next Topic »
Add Reply