Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Survivor: Cambodia Mafia Game Thread; y'gotta DIG DEEP if you wanna win this game
Topic Started: Jul 6 2016, 12:57 AM (9,376 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here, and roll confirmed. A few reminders:

1. Don't vote until near the end of the phase. Once you vote, you are locked in. It'd suck to lock yourself into something that becomes evidently wrong.

2. Do vote. Someone gets lynched every day no matter what. It is in town's best interests that we take an active hand in that. You know all that stuff about how sometimes it's better not to shoot for uselessness? Well, in this game that's a bit different--scum first and foremost, but the inactive or problematic make a great buffer if no scum is apparent and the phase is ending.

3. Watch for blocks! Scum actually has a lot of theoretical power in this game, as they can coordinate lynches and town cannot. On the other hand, a large clique voting the same way a bunch should become evident in a hurry.

Bik

me too I send my vote in already

Speaking of point #2 above...
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ooh, perhaps he meant in the thread. I was nominating him as "useless/actively detrimental" assuming he actually sent an unchangeable vote before half the game even checked in.

Bik, clarify?
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lore
Jul 6 2016, 03:21 PM
MW, isn't a bit too early to go full inquisition mode, isn't obvious that Bik is/was kidding?
the votes are only counted if they sent through pm's so it doesn't matter, really.
Unless Bik already voted which means we got a poopereater on board.
I read Bik as stating that he had, in fact, already sent his vote in. He's clarified that he has not, so we're good again unless he's lying. Also, it is never too early for the inquisition.

Lore gets some townie points from me for basically everything up above, especially asking for the number of votes. That's clever and I can't believe I didn't think of it.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Further thoughts: Frogue gets town points for a very good plan. Not, like, major town points, as there is a case for the plan being decent enough for mafia (especially as it to some extent neutralizes their being easy to single out), but on the whole I think it favors town to reduce chaos. I also like that Frogue did engage with the game in a more serious and considered way.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flare
Jul 8 2016, 03:05 PM
I think people are being rather quick to throw town points at other people, and that's dangerous.
Yes and no. I feel like the game hasn't quite grokked a few things yet. Specifically:

• We have to lynch someone each phase or we see an RNG kill.
  • That includes this phase.
  • This phase ends in four and a half days.

So, right now I can say Frogue and Lore are not on my list of potential sacrificial lambs for the day.

It's also always useful to have reads, even embryonic and cursory ones. Yeah, they may turn out hideously wrong, but they're still better than nothing.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
By my calculations, scum daychat just ended. That makes now a pretty good time for us to get more serious, I think.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm a bit suspicious of RC's post for a couple reasons:

1. it reiterates Frogue's plan without acknowledging that it is in fact Frogue's plan.

2. it says the game will be easy due to following the plan, when in fact scum can simply play along and thus make the game not-easy.

That said, it's a very minor thing and all usual RC caveats apply. This feels a bit different from his standard play to me, though.

At this point, if we're stalled and nothing better presents itself, I think we should trim the most sketch low-activity or no-content (or, ideally, both) person. Prim, Danny, Rorick, Decoy, Flare, and RC are below post limit. Of them, I feel like Prim, Rorick, and Decoy have been at least minimally constructive, RC has been weird, Danny has been non-constructive, and Flare has been potentially obstructive. I'd like to hear from all six more, but the three I didn't point out as constructive are where my attention is turned more. Will look at other folks of not low-activity later.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I mean, you sort of can use votes as a lever. Just post 'em in the thread and that lets people know how you're planning to vote. Then do it. Votes are actually way scarier in this mode than in others, because you need fewer to end up in trouble.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
To clarify on Flare, before I go to work:

Standing in the way of game progress is bad. Shaking a finger at folks for making light town reads discourages others from doing so. It looks worse now than it did before because it's the sum total of Flare's contributions; further engagement, discussion, explanation or acknowledgement could've progressed the game or expanded the discourse, but absent that we have nothing but a negative contribution, one encouraging others to not start steering the game somewhere more useful.

You are correct; I have not reread anyone with a post count above the activity limit.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Basically, we do see the votes--just not until the end of the phase, when they go through. That's what makes announcing them appealing--it allows us to a. see if someone pulls a fast one (though they won't) and b. coordinate so we don't have scum (or even some subsection of scum) pile onto somebody random and get a lynch off, say, a four-man train just because everyone else is split more ways. It effectively forces scum into not using the chaos created by the setup to their advantage to disproportionately dictate lynches.

The counter to this is that if scum do abuse their ability to dictate lynches, it might become super obvious and let us catch them out. I feel that is a poor argument because it centers our strategy around scum misplaying in a super obvious way.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Frogue
Jul 11 2016, 01:08 AM
@MW, thoughts on Rorick's response?
The first bit of the post, expressing hesitation, seems off-topic to me--it's a bit of a dodge of the issue. The whole post tells us little we don't already know, though tempered somewhat by Rorick's unfamiliarity with site meta. I disagree that being logical early is necessarily a way for scum to gain lasting town cred--for the first phase or two, maybe, but all bets are off when we start getting actual stuff to go off of. I'm not totally sure how to read the self-awareness (could be legit townie awareness, could be scum preempting--I'd skew more to the latter with a less reflective player than Rorick, but his nature makes it kinda go either way). He credits others with basically all o the ideas in his post, which is certainly a ducking of responsibility to a large extent, but whether malicious or not I cannot say. But being equally suspicious of everyone is not particularly useful when we have to vote someone out, and I'd really have preferred some preference, no matter how slight. The request for more info from the quiet seems, again, an affectation designed to position Rorick in the group of the active, which is a spot he has quite a dubious claim to.

In short, his post reads to me as a maneuver to fade into the mass and deflect suspicion without progressing the game, though that may be a symptom of the fading. I'm not fond of it on the whole, less so the more I think about it. It seems somewhat in keeping with Rorick's character, but I'd put it as more scummy than townie by a good bit.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
R.C.
Jul 11 2016, 12:54 PM
Well, we could flavour claim day 1.
So, just wanna drop a gentle reminder that last time we messed with early flavor claims in a Yugi game everything went to bits, leading me to assume there is a similar protocol in place to prevent such a course of action this time.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Frogue
Jul 11 2016, 02:14 PM
Prim

I don't think that flavour claiming on the first day would be a good idea. I am not even sure of who I would vote for as it is the first day and we still don't have enough information to go with. Although, I don't want someone to get randomly lynched and they could turn out to be town.

Flavour claims are a pretty useful tool. Even if they don't help catch scum they can be super helpful in generating information and discussion. Plus, this game was originally meant for 20 people, which means it wasn't originally intended to have safeclaims. It's possible Yugi added them in, in the process of adjusting the game size from 20 to 16, so we shouldn't count on it, but I'd say there's definitely an opportunity there.

Another plus is the finite character pool, which means that scum can't claim some lesser known character and hope not to be counterclaimed. They're pretty much stuck with what they have.

The minuses here are that nobody has really distinguished themselves as particularly scummy, yet. Claim order is kinda important in flavour claims - you don't want the scummy people to claim last, because then they can see what everyone else has claimed, and just claim whatever's left.
Generally, I'm all for this sort of thing. Last time around in a Yugi game, though, I used basically this logic in SDR Mafia (which had a similarly quite limited cast) and it totally blew up in town's collective face. As such, I'd be super hesitant to try to exploit claims until we have at least a little more of an idea as to how this game is laid out, as I anticipate some sort of trickery designed to prevent a mass-claim from rolling through and wrecking game balance.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Jul 12 2016, 04:39 PM
Frogue
Jul 12 2016, 04:18 PM

If Toxie is scum it's a smarter play, so he's more of a threat. If Toxie isn't scum, that means he's just genuinely unhelpful, and it's less of a loss. Either way, better vote.
Well if we're talking use, I have a good amount of it, but whether or not you choose to believe me or not on it is a different ball game.
I'm willing to call this bluff. Gonna throw in with Frogue pending a more substantial reason not to. So, Toxie, how about a little more detail such that we have a reason to believe you? Because "Just trust me" is not convincing in a game about mistrust, and the progression here feels really off, swinging wildly from "Lynch me, it's inevitable!" to "Actually, maybe please don't?"

Otherwise, gonna vote Bik because he's advocating policy-lynching me while admitting he hasn't actually bothered to read one of the posts most key to current discussion, which says he's not particularly engaged and is likely to be an obstruction to game progress. Someone's gotta go this phase, and if he's really set on making our presences mutually exclusive, I see no reason to beat around the bush or waste time.

Still looking at Rorick, and less convinced by his last post than Frogue apparently was. Actually don't think Paige is that sketch at the moment--sorta notable for me, so noting it. A question for Rorick: if you had to pick someone to vote for, who would you pick and why?
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So those are votes by Paige, Prim, and presumably Bik, yes?

Reminder that folks should be calling their votes in the thread and we should be looking really hard at anyone who pulls anything funny/non-matching. I'm gonna throw my official vote down a little before deadline; have a timer set and everything to remind me to glance in.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply