Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Said and Done
Topic Started: Jun 23 2016, 03:18 PM (399 Views)
Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Cameron Herrig continued from Smoke On Her Face))

Cameron sat staring out the window.

Vanessa hadn’t said anything since she had begrudgingly agreed to actually go to the tattooists. Cameron had been excited when she’d woken up, today was the day they had booked weeks ago. Today was the day she had sent off sketches for. Finally she was getting her two tattoos. One of a coyote head on her shoulder and the other an eye with a galaxy for the iris on the palm of her hand. They were heading all the way down to Phoenix to get them done, both of them had booked appointments. Cameron was seeing a guy called Earthgrasper, she had seen his art online and fallen in love with it, everything about it appealed to her, the colours, shading and designs.

Vans was getting one as well, although she had either forgotten or just didn’t want to go. Cameron snuck a glance over at Vans driving; she still felt bad about everything and things had been awkward between the two of them ever since she had invited Coleen to join the band. The desert highway was breezing past as California Girls lurched from the radio.

“Can I plug my iPhone in to the aux? Got some new stuff I want to show you.”
Kimiko Kao - - - - - - - The Lagniappe
Travis "Trav" Lynch - - They Stumbled Into Faith and Thought
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Shock Me

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
At least she’d gotten a response, it was better than nothing. Cameron lent over to grab the aux cable, doing it so carefully you would have thought that Vanessa was about to lunge across the jeep and attack her. Once that was done she plugged her iPhone in and set Once More 'Round The Sun by Mastodon to play, she’d got the CD recently and had been wanting to share it with Vans ever since she’d first listening to it. It had a lot of things she thought her friend would like. Tweaking the volume a bit so the detail of the composition was noticeable but wasn’t so loud as to be distracting she settled back into looking out the window.

About halfway through Tread Lightly the silence became so loud it was unbearable. Cameron was on a road trip to go and get tattoos, they couldn’t just sit in silence or exchange one word answers the whole time. She missed talking to her best friend.

“You should come back…Not that you left or anything but…y’know it like wouldn’t be the same without you.”

Cameron Herrig, lyricist.

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Her suggestion was well-received.

She fiddled with a loose strand of hair as Vans went on her rant. Not that she didn't have any right too, Cameron had fucked up, she knew that. She recognised she had made a mistake, but she didn't want or enjoy her best friend throwing all of her venom and bile at her, she had seen Vanessa at her acidic peak before but had never personally been on the receiving end of it.
“Well…” She didn’t know how to continue. “Fuck sake.”

Cameron went back to staring out of the window, quietly thinking about what to say.

“You still have lead and can do backing vocals. I mean I know I fucked you over here. But it won’t be Peyote Coyote without you and I wouldn’t want to do it if you aren’t there. It’s our band and I’m rambling and I know I’m rambling. I fucked up I’m sorry but…fuck.”

Then her phone fell off her leg.

“Fuck.” Cameron hissed as she tried to pick it up, then it slipped out of her hand.

“Shit.”

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"High Road. It's by Mastodon."

Cameron finally managed to retrieve her iPhone from the foot well.

"From their new album Once More 'Round the Sun. It's cool, you'd like it. Loads of killer riffs. You know that song we cover? 'Blood and Thunder'? That's by them too."

Her sentences were fast and clipped, almost like a firecracker, she was trying to get everything she wanted to say out.

"It's not a concept album like their last three though, which was a bit disappointing."

Cameron felt a certain sense of ease come over her as she talked about music with Vanessa. She knew that it was supposed to be distracting her from what from happening, she knew the tricks people used. But she also knew Vans was doing it to save her from herself. She appreciated that. It was part of why she liked Vanessa, sure she could be prickly but she helped anchor Cameron, without her things would just spiral out into eternity and there wouldn't be much left.

Maybe that was too melodramatic or deep. But the point was the same.

She wanted to keep the good times going though and she had something she wanted to unveil anyway. She looked out the window, watching as they kept their steady pace through the desert.

"I've written a concept album for the band you know."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Okay, so..." Cameron stopped momentarily as she tried to think of a way to explain what exactly the concept album was. It wasn't that she didn't know per se, she just wasn't sure how to put the idea into words that made sense.

"It's called Merging and its about someone who's going home for the first time since...I'm not entirely sure, but they're going home because one of their parents has died and it's been so long they're a totally different person than they were when they left." Once she got going it wasn't as hard as she thought. Maybe she knew what she wanted from the album to begin with.

"So it follows their journey home and the idea is as they get closer the songs get heavier and its closer to the middle so everything converges at the point where they arrive home which is the heaviest song on the whole thing, then we spiral out from there and it steadily gets more dreamlike as they comes to terms with everything and the final songs are them letting all their baggage go and moving on."

The last part of the explanation came out as a steady steam of information. Cameron was surprised by how lucid and sensical the whole thing was. Sure it was tied up in the whole American myth and the journey home purposely mirrored that but she had been hoping for something that came across as more personal. Saying it all out loud to Vans was a good way of acknowledging that the idea had some legs, she'd written most the first parts of it after that night her and Vans sat in the desert. It had been steadily added to and refined since then.

Most of the songs were written and she had her first real attempts at lyrics written down.

She had just been delaying showing it to anyone out of fear they wouldn't like it.

"So...what do you think?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"What? No it's not that." She stopped and glanced over at Vanessa. "I mean it doesn't matter...don't worry about it."

Truthfully it might have been that a little and as much as it hurt to admit to herself but Vans hadn't been there for her. She resented the idea that now she was getting over it Vans suddenly cared. Cameron knew her best friend meant well but it was too late; Vanessa had spent her time ignoring and being angry at her.

"It's fine. That's not the point of the album...and I don't want to talk about it."

She stared out the window for a while thinking of what to say next. How to approach a conversation she didn't want to have. She settled on the old reliable standby. Ignore the problem and hope it went away.

"Do you reckon it'd be a good album?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Vanessa's words hit her like a slap to the face. She opened her mouth to say something then closed it. She let out a long sigh and rested her head back on the seat.

"You're right. I should just try and move on. You're wrong about the concept album though." She held up a hand to stop Vans from saying anything in case she felt like butting in. "It's all building up to the end which is a hopeful one."

She turned and looked at Vans, she had stuck with her through everything and in return she had brought a new lead singer into the band. Yeah, not her best move ever.

"Look Vans, I'm sorry. About like everything, you've been there for me through this and that can be exhausting and I kinda screwed you over with the whole Coleen thing. But you're still my best friend and I miss you. Can you promise me you'll give Coleen a chance? A show or two? If she bombs that can be it, she's gone and you take back the vocals. I just don't want to be in a band without you, playing with you is like, the most fun I've had in my life, you let me put all the paint on and go with it. Not many other people would do that. It means a lot to me."

It seemed like a fair deal to Cameron, but then again she had proven to be bad at the whole decisions thing recently.

"I also have some peyote and we have a lot of desert to get back through after this. So how about we start my new positive life off right?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
An honest smile played across Cameron's face. It felt good to have things almost settle back to normality.

"Hell yeah. Tattoos than getting some inspiration. Sounds like an awesome fucking day to me."

Cameron picked her phone up and flipped through the music app until she found her playlists, scrolling down she located one called "Riffasaurus Rex". It was a favorite of hers and Vans, for good reason. She hit shuffle and let the magic happen. Tres Brujas by The Sword kicked in over the speakers in Vans Jeep. She took that as a good sign for the way things were going to go.

"Alright." She murmured to herself, her grin turning into a smile.

It felt good to have Vans back. Cameron couldn't wait for them to all get back together and practice. Sappy as it sounded she felt hope that all of their problems were slowly going to drift away.

It was nice to feel hope again.

((Cameron Herrig and Vanessa Stone continued elsewhere...))

V5
Unknowns

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Beyond the Town Border · Next Topic »
Add Reply