Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Romeo And Juliet; 'I forget, I forget, the movie song' - Scarlett McAfee's home
Topic Started: May 2 2016, 10:19 PM (721 Views)
Rorick Skyve
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
((Aiden Slattery continued from Spotted Peckers: Black Ocean

Aiden was standing directly in front of the McAfee's bathroom mirror, a strained expression on his face, his hands gripping each side of the sink like he was about to try and rip it off the wall. He grimaced at himself. Handsome fella right there, staring right back at him. Problem was that the guy was in the same predicament as he was.

His glance wandered down, towards the tin pillbox he had placed next to the faucet. Tiny thing like that surely couldn't even harm a fly. Aiden knew better though. Thing was an evil little fucker, or rather, its contents. Ritalin, man. Helped him once, sure, was his personal Robin over many years. Beaksman and Robin, heh. No idea why he hadn't thought of that one before.

Aiden saw the subtle smile on the features of his reflection. Maybe that'd do the trick. Think of funny shit, distract himself from the - nah, he knew damn fucking well that wouldn't work. Not with the work he had to do. Ugh, Mac-frickin-Beth, dullest thing he'd read since the manual for his mom's hair dryer. Didn't even remember why he read that one, truth be told. But he did and now he was kinda wishing he could be reading that instead of that snoozefest of a tale about some douche who got bossed around by his old lady.

There was no escape though. Couldn't risk being a sloppy sloppster with this one. His sis had been right, he had been slacking off too much lately. English grade was looking a-bizzedi-bysmal. One more goof, he was done for, straight up toast. Couldn't have that, no fucking way. Sharon being disappointed alone would be enough reason for him to fucking shoot himself to the moon, outta existence. Only one way around it. Had to stay focused with this one, pull his sorry ass through, somehow. Goddamn Shakespeare, man. Should have stuck with shaking his own spear, that limey bastard.

Whoa, whoa, he had to calm himself. Shit was way too negative, ruining his mojo and stuff. He had to get to a happy place again, no matter what. Get happy, get focused, then profit. Easy cheesy.

Aiden sighed, rubbing his eyes with two fingers. No way around it. Had to take his 'medication.' Only way for him to stay concentrated, actually do and think stuff that was worth a damn. Other two peeps were prolly thinking he was jacking off or something, been in the bathroom for what - ten minutes now?

So he did the deed. Short moment, opened the pillbox, swallowed pill - not feeling better. But he would, soon enough. He had promised himself he'd get off the stuff, he didn't need it no more, damn Ritalin had outlived his usefulness. Only today wasn't the day to stop. Maybe tomorrow. Shit, prolly not even that. But one day, one frickin' day.

Aiden gave himself a light slap on the cheek. Had to stop being such a whiny weenie, shit was embarrassing. Think of something positive, all he had to do. Last weekend with Jerry the Ferg, that had been some good classic load of fun. Yeah, that was an image to have stuck in his head. Could totally roll with that. His lips slowly curled up, formed that shit-eating grin again. Time to get busy.

Starting to whistle some random tune, he opened the bathroom door, ready to join his peers who were eagerly anticipating the return of the Beaks, sure as shit. First step he took was slightly insecure, but his stroll grew more confident with every consecutive one. Heard their voices around some corners, kinda muffled. Ben talking 'bout something, prolly important. Everything that guy said sounded important, maybe cuz he didn't talk much in the first place. Not when Aiden was around, at least.

"I might too, if I were in your shoes." All he caught. Didn't really sound like it had anything to do with the project, maybe the two had waited for him with that. Aw, how sweet. Almost wanted to shed a tear, so he did. As if.

Looking as smug as if nothing had happened, he finally entered the other two's field of view again, immediately raising a hand defensively. "Sorry bout the delay, folks. Technical difficulties."
Edited by Rorick Skyve, Jul 17 2016, 07:23 PM.
Peoples and Sheeples for V6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rorick Skyve
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
There they were, Ben all down to earth, while Scarlett was sitting on her couch like it was a plushy throne or something. Curly and the Grump, sure made for a functional duo. Throw in a little Beaks and you have - something less functional, to be sure. Just like they said, two's company, three's a crowd. He wasn't deluding himself, those two were prolly even a whole lot smarter than he was. But that was fine. He was mostly there to add some spice anyway. Other two could use some of that, sure as shit.

He eyed the empty spot on the coach, then glanced at the ground.Tempting, yeah. Buuut then again, maybe not. Woulda been kinda weird, with him next to Scarley Scarls and Ben going solo on the ground. Besides, couch didn't look that comfortable anyway. Bit more space to himself sounded a whole frickin lot better, yup. Floor it was, then, fitting, seeing how he needed to get to the bottom of things. Better keep that pun to himself though - not his best work.

"Ground's fine by me. Looks comfy enough." Without as much as another word, he practically leaped to the spot next to the couch, then let himself drop and get into a cross-legged position. He was now staring up at the other two like some kiddie expecting gifts or something like that. Knew he wouldn't get any, but what the hell.

In any case, it was time to get serious. That assignment sure wasn't no walk in the fucking park, more like a rooftop parkour. He had to give it his goddamn all, owed that much to his sis. Well, to those two as well, even though he didn't really like Ben all that much, dude seemed like he could use a shot of vitality straight in the veins. Scarlett was nice enough. Seemed a bit bothered by something, but that was prolly just her thinking really hard. He'd try and do the same, even though he prolly wasn't going to be much of a help.

"So, what do we have so far? I didn't exactly think about our task and stuff during my little break, so like...anything you wanna share?"
Edited by Rorick Skyve, May 17 2016, 10:36 AM.

Rorick Skyve
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Well, fuck. Took all but a few sentences from Ben for Aiden to have to cover his own mouth with his hand, to avoid bursting out in a fit of laughter.

"Got his ass knifed....Fuck, man, that's a damn riot!" His words came through muffled and snorting, and he felt his palm getting all wet with his spit. Guh-ross.

His giggling lasted a few, in retrospect awfully painful seconds, before he caught his breath and removed his hand from his pie-hole. Not going well, nope. Getting distracted too easily, so he was. If only his dumb ass had remembered to take the meds sooner, all would be hunkily-donkey-dory by now, focusing and stuff. They had to come into effect sooner or later though, sure as shit. Rocky-ass start aside.

"Sorry, just, you saying a thing like that all serious looking and sounding and stuff...funny to me, you with me? Over now, I'm good, won't happen again, scout's honor!" He ended the sentence by pounding his chest just above his heart and giving a quick salute. Prolly looked goofy as hell, but screw it.

Aiden looked from Ben to Scarlett, then back at Ben. They'd show some understanding, right? Not like they were some bitter, crusty ol' fogeys. Dude maybe, but not Scarley Scarls, no way. Grump and not so grump. Yeah, that worked. Except his head was wanderin' up Trash fucking Alley again. Had to fucking pull himself together, for real this time.

"So, anyway, divine order, yup. No, natural order, yeah. Sounds like it'll work, sure does." He rubbed his forehead slightly, as if to look like he was actually using his savvy. Prolly saw right through him, so they did. Or maybe not. Normally, he'd have just admitted that he was in way over his beak. Head. But not now. Could just pretend like he was followin', so he could. Maybe he'd actually get it after a while. Eventually. Yeah, he would, for sugary sure. Crank up the optimism.

"Like, wanna split it all up? Everyone gets one act or two or so to go through, scan, take notes and shit, you follow me? Wait, there's five acts, right? Won't really work." Aiden looked around the room while tapping the tip of his nose. "Maybe just go through it together? Three Musketeers style?"

Rorick Skyve
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
(Minor GMing approved)
Dang. Getting showered in praise over a simple suggestion like that? Sure, he'd take it, especially with Scarley giving him that sweet smile. No reason to be all humbly bumbly. Though he had hoped that the other two would go for his latter suggestion, going through the whole thing together. Would have been tons easier for him to follow. Still, good thing Ben was being a bro for once, take one for the team and leave Aiden with only one act to go through instead of two. Either that, or it was some sorta backhanded insult. Like saying "Yeah, I know you're too dense to take on two, so try to at least handle a single one." Well, result was the same either way, so no complainies from him.

"Yeah, sure. First one's prolly not a tough act to follow." He waved his digits around as if operating invisible drums. Badumm tsss indeed. "Hey c'mon, gotta give me that one, was just too tempting." He grinned, only for a split second, before immediately picking up and opening his issue of Macbeth, while mumbling a barely audible "Sorry." Guilty on the charge of bad puns. Was about time he pulled himself together, for real this time. 'least he was starting to get self-conscious.

Minutes passed in total silence, everyone busy starin' at dusty old pages filled with even dustier old words. And with every minute that passed, Aiden's frustration grew. Total fucking train wreck. Other two were prolly making progress like crazy, flyin' through that gibberish like it was nothing. But he? He couldn't even get past the first frickin' sentences, read them over and over, like they were suddenly gonna make sense or something. Only they didn't. He tried the next ones and the ones after those, looking for something, anything that looked worth noting down, something that made him sound all smart when he'd quote it later on. Some more minutes later, same result. Nada, big fucking plug corking up his brain. What'd he take that goddamn ritalin for anyway? Wasn't doing jack and shit for him.

Couldn't focus, not one itty shitty bit. Felt like he was getting a frickin' headache to top it all off. Part of him wanted to just chuck that stupid book away and hightail the fuck outta there, go for a jog or some shit. Anything better than having to deal with MacDense and MacDunce and whatever anymore. Only that was no option. He was getting cranky, not good. Reminded him of all those times in the past, him sitting down and despairing over some home work until big sis or mommy or anyone came along and made him feel all cheery again. Work was suddenly a lot easier after that. None of them were around though, shit outta luck. Had to find some other way to pull this off.

Couldn't be that tough, not any more than putting together a frickin'...

Puzzle?

Grand magic cure, tested and proven to work by The Beaks. Had always worked back in those therapy sessions, made him all calm and focused and stuff. Shit sounded dumb as a bag of hammers, sure, but why not? Only had to ask the lady of the house for one.

Aiden lifted his head, still seeing letters float around everywhere. Prolly wasn't healthy starin' at that stuff for frickin' ever. "Hey Scarlett? Know it sounds weird as heck, but do you have a puzzle lying around here somewhere? Y'know, put-some-happy-looking-pieces-together, that kinda stuff."

Rorick Skyve
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Huh. Had expected a different reaction from Scarls, like some gaze that said 'You nuts?' or 'Forgot to take your pill, boy?' - which like, wasn't even that wrong - but nope, not even close. Girl was actin' like he had asked her for a tissue or something, stuff as basic as cable. Had he like, missed a new trend, some sort of puzzle hype going on or something? Chick didn't even seem like she was 'puzzled' in the least. Yeah, he went there.

Still though, kinda odd. Kinda hilarious really, him being all weirded out by her not being all weirded out. Was enough to make him chuckle out loud, severe case of the giggles diagnosed. Like, best frickin' case scenario right there, Scarlett gave less fucks than a nun with herpes, wasn't even gonna make him feel all awkward. Was startin' to like her more and more by the minute. Past and all aside.

Aiden answered her proposition with a beaming smile and a hasty nod. Same reaction as though his sis had just asked him if he wanted himself some banana split. Hell fucking yes, now they were talking business. Woulda been even more perfect if the prosecution hadn't just raised an objection.

Yeah, already figured Ben McSourpuss over there would say something. Couldn't just chill and let them do their thing, like a good boy. Then again, couldn't really blame him, nope. Dude had probably just said the only rational thing that came out of anyone's pie-hole in the last few minutes. Deserved to get an answer to that question, so he did.

On the one hand, he had kinda wanted to avoid stuff like this, like, really wanted to avoid it, sure as shizzle. Having to explain himself, admit he was kinda slow with all that schooly stuff cause his brain was spewing crazy shit 24/7. But like, was kinda easier this way, wasn't it? Better than keeping his mouth all locked up like Fort frickin' Knox and letting them think he was two morons and a half. Yeah, opening up a bit couldn't hurt. Cut the tension a bit.

"First thing, gotta thank you Scarls, being willing to take your time 'n help me out with this, sweet as heck. Being a straight up lifesaver, so you are." He gave her a thumbs up, put the cherry on the cake that was his appreciation. Then he turned to Ben.

"So yeah, 'bout why I need those 'happy pieces' - sorry I call them that, old habit: Like, kinda hard sayin' this, puttin' it right'n all, but y'all have already noticed I'm not as fast with this kinda stuff, right? Shakin' spears and all, literature, that sort of stuff." He took a very short break, wiped his nose, was startin' to get all itchy, his ol' beak. "Got problems with keeping my eyes on the ball, you follow me? Stayin' focused, concentrate on something, I mean. I'll spare ya the details, not like this is a sleepover or something." Little grin, then he continued.

"To put it straight, puzzles help me with that, alright? Help me get on top of my game, get those gears in my head spinning. Sounds like I've cracked the crackpot, I know, but it's how it is. So, if you two could just be like 'No problemo here, all cool' , I'd really, really appreciate that." He ruffled his hair again, looking from one to the other, wearing a somewhat softer smile than usual. 'All rise, the verdict will now be announced.'

Edited by Rorick Skyve, Jul 15 2016, 06:23 AM.

Rorick Skyve
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
'Let's get going, Aiden.'

Y'know how cats go apeshit over laserpointers like some fangirl in heat seeing her hunky hunk of a crush waltz around in underwear? He could really sort of very much totally relate all of a sudden, outta the baby blue. Brain went overdrive mode for a flash second, puzzle hype taking over, neural revolution, baby!

All of that basically only amounted to Aiden jumping up and out of the room faster than he could even realize what the everloving frick he was doing himself, though his proper senses returned to him soon as he was standing directly in front of Scarlett. Whoa, had to tame that bronco taking control of his brain console. Hadn't managed to sort of pull himself together and pour out his heart all over those two only to fuck it up like a kid taking a golden shot of sugar. For goddamn real.

He turned around almost immediately, looking back into the living room and at Ben. Poor dude was prolly takin' him for even more of a whackity nutjob than before now, like, couldn't even blame the dude, not one itty bitty bit. Though his own mind was apparently back in relax-mode now, back to ten percent reasonable. Had to at least acknowledge Ben some, couldn't just up and leave like some asshole. Not even his fucking pal Fergie would have pulled a move like that.

"Sorry for all that, dude. Prolly discombobulated you real good, didn't I?" He scratched his forehead for a short moment. "Whoa, no idea where I pulled that one out of. Didn't even know my vocabulary had that sorta potential, nope. Yeah, anyway, we'll be right back, so we will. Keep at it, tiger."

He ended his little speech with a wink, then swirled right around again, back at Scarlett. Girl was a good one, to be sure. Lotta heart, sure seemed like it. Patient too. Really was lucky he ended up with her on his team, so he did. Had to repay the favor somehow, some day. Unless he'd forget or some shit.

"Yeah, thanks a freakin' bunch again. I could kiss you, so I could!" He immediately raised his arms, going full on defense mode. "Didn't mean it like that, honest injun! Just gettin' all excited and stuff, been a while since I last had a good puzzle. I swear, gonna work hard as I can after that, hard as I ever worked. Won't regret having me with you, guys. Well, maybe a little bit."

With that, he gave Scarls a little pat on the shoulder and performed a kind of exaggerated gesture, meaning for her to lead the way. He meant what he had said, he'd give it his all. Just had to kick-start his mind a little, puzzle should do the trick. Wasn't going to disappoint those two, especially not the lass, was too much of a sweetheart for that. Was gonna be fine, sure. No way he'd let the day take a turn for the worse now. He had this, was on top of his game. Beaks fired up and ready for ignition. Sharon woulda been proud.

((Aiden Slattery continued in What Are Little Boys Made Of?))
Edited by Rorick Skyve, Aug 6 2016, 04:32 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · The Neighborhood · Next Topic »
Add Reply