Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sidelines
Topic Started: Mar 5 2016, 09:30 AM (722 Views)
Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Lillian 'Lily' Caldwell continued from I can't think of any cutesy love songs that'd fit as a thread title, consider this a placeholder.))

Dances were alright. About the same as parties. Lily always preferred to view them from the sidelines. It wasn't as if she couldn't join in. But she liked watching, same to how she preferred listening to talking.

Dances had the plus of people being less likely to do something horribly stupid, although on the other hand parties had the bigger chance of someone doing something hilariously stupid. Sometimes 'horribly' and 'hilariously' crossed over.

She didn't know what Alvaro would want to do. Whether he'd be okay with hanging out on the sidelines or not. Would he want to dance? Probably. Not dancing at a dance was like going to a restaurant and only ordering glasses of water.

Lily shifted from foot to foot on occasion, watching the dancers as she fiddled with the fluffy skirt of her mid-length yellow dress. She could dance, she supposed. She'd never danced with someone before. Apart from this one time in elementary school where they made everyone learn one of those dances with the set steps and everyone had to partner up, but that hardly counted.

Maybe she should ask. It was the waiting and uncertainty that was bad. She'd rather just do the dance than think about it all night.

“Have you tried the cookies?”

Or she could continue eating snacks and ignoring the possibility of dancing. Both worked. Lily took a bite of the cookie she had picked up and stared somewhere just over Alvaro's shoulder, hoping he wouldn't notice she wasn't making proper eye contact.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wait, had he been about to say something? Had she interrupted? Great. Now she was being rude, too.

“True. Not much is better than cake.”

She looked around at the people dancing. She could see Alessio around, talking with some others at one of the other food tables. Good plan. She hadn't seen any other friends, yet. Nor had she seen any cousins, which was odd given that she had a veritable legion of them. Haley had mentioned an anti-SH party to her, so they were probably at that. But who knew, where the others were concerned?

She felt anxious. That was ridiculous. She'd feel fine if she was here alone. Or if she and Alvaro had gone as friends. But she didn't feel any better about this date situation than she did when she'd first suggested it like an idiot.

“Uh… sorry, were you going to say something? I didn't mean to interrupt.”

She stuck the remainder of the cookie in her mouth. They really were pretty good.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And, yeah, there it was.

Lily meant to reply right off, but instead she spent several long moments considering the dance floor. With all the people dancing around and having fun and all that. It just always seemed like dancing was one of those things that was better to watch than to do.

But what was she supposed to say? 'No, I don't want to dance. I just want to sit here and eat cookies all night.' It was a dance. She had to dance.

God, why did she invite him to a dance? Why couldn't she have invited him to Junko's party, or literally anywhere else?

Don't be cold. For once.

“...Sure. I'll dance. Now?”

She held out a hand for him to take.

It's just a dance. No big deal.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“It's fine.”

Lily grasped his hand again, and pulled him towards the dance floor. More gently than he had done. She had a look around, to see how everyone else was dancing. She'd seen someone doing a lot of weird moves over before, including that thing where it looked like they died but didn't. Other people doing energetic sorts of dances, then yet others who did the slow dancing or the casual rocking back and forth that wasn't really a dance at all

Did dancing just come instinctively? It should, right?

They were on the floor. She was still holding Alvaro's hand. She looked down at that, looked at Alvaro's face for a moment. Then immediately looked away again.

Nope. This dancing was not coming instinctively. Uh.

“So… yeah,” she said, not really knowing what she even meant. Maybe Alvaro knew how to dance, and then she could just follow along.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“I'm… I'm not really a dancer, to be honest.”

Lily looked around awkwardly before swinging Alvaro's hand slightly. That was a dance. Kind of. It was a move that was a part of a dance. Close enough. She thought that maybe it would get the dancing going, but it didn't seem to.

“Maybe… maybe we should just… go back and… I don't know,” Lily mumbled.

God, this was so awkward. Why had she thought this was a good idea? She couldn't have just said 'I think we should just go as friends?' But no. She had to prove she wasn't cold. Even though that's basically what she was.

“...Sorry,” she muttered. “For, uh… well, you know.”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"There's nothing for you to apologise for," Lily said, as she was led back to the food table.

The sidelines were definitely more comfortable. While, rationally, Lily knew everyone on the dance floor was too busy... well, dancing... to notice what she and Alvaro was doing, she couldn't help but feel uncomfortable and self-conscious out there. Sure, there was that phrase 'dance like nobody's watching,' but Lily generally didn't dance when nobody was watching anyway.

Once they reached the food table, Lily immediately picked up a handful of potato chips and started eating. Ah, food. The ready-made excuse for her not to talk immediately. To give her time to think without seeming too awkward.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lily chewed the food in her mouth slowly before answering.

“It's alright. I like the current song. Don't know what it is, though.”

Well, this was better than dancing. She could probably just pretend this was an 'as friends' thing if they didn't do that again. Maybe she'd explain herself to Alvaro another time. Not right now—that would only make things more awkward—but maybe later. A different day.

For now? Talking was fine.

((Lily Caldwell continued elsewhere.))
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · At the Dance · Next Topic »
Add Reply