Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I Know What My Fortune Is; It's partying. (Junko's Anti-SH Party)
Topic Started: Mar 5 2016, 12:53 AM (2,934 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Raina Rose continued from Hyperventilation Dance))

Making arrangements so that Raina would be able to go to Junko's party had taken some finagling. She didn't often stay out late because doing so meant she'd have to delay or forgo her sleep meds, which was one thing that did always manage to get her parents concerned and thus required a bit of convincing. Fortunately, the party fell on a date where her parents would actually be home, so she didn't have to worry about leaving Leila all on her own for the night. One problem thus knocked out and a bit of outlining all the reasons why she should be allowed to go (she didn't usually party, she had no interest in the Sadie Hawkins, space theme notwithstanding, and more of her friends would probably be at the party than the dance anyway) and she was good to go. She'd been disappointed that Penelope wanted to go to the dance with her boyfriend instead of hitting up the party, but she'd been doing her best not to begrudge Penny the fact that she actually had a date.

So here she was, all pumped to go to one of the rare parties she'd be allowed during her high school career, and of course who decided to show himself but Darius Van Dyke. Gag. From what he was telling Junko it sounded like he'd been pregaming for a while now, so not only did she have to deal with Darius, she had to deal with drunk Darius. Lovely.

But you know what? Raina had already gone through enough to even get to this party, and she wasn't going to have Darius harshing her vibe. That senior guy, Wayne, was sort of cute; if Darius got any ideas, she might just have to chat Wayne up for the deterrence factor.

Contingency plans firmly in mind, Raina made her way to the campfire with more confidence, waving at Junko as she approached. "Hey, Junko! I see s'mores over there, so I think we can go ahead and say this party is off to a good start." She made sure to keep Junko between herself and Darius for the moment. "It's pretty warm out here. What've we got to drink?"

Of course, she'd neglected to mention to her parents that she might be partaking in some more adult drinks than would be offered at the dance, but she didn't intend to get wasted so it shouldn't be a problem.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ugh.

"A word of advice, Darius: if it was barely funny the first time you said it, you don't need to call me names twice." Raina stepped deliberately past Junko and Darius to pick up the can that he'd dropped on the ground. "And you could at least pretend to have some basic decency before you're totally drunk." With that, she turned her back on him and walked to the trash can to toss the empty Monster can. This guy hosted parties regularly? If everyone who showed up was as bad as he was, Raina was amazed that the Van Dyke house was still standing and that none of the guests were in jail.

Well, actually, she couldn't discount the possibility of a number of Darius's friend group doing time. Seemed likely, the more she thought about it.

Case in point, here came Michael Crowe, bad fake accent and all. What a douche. Raina couldn't understand why Jonathan hung out with Michael; sure, Jonathan was kind of a slacker, but it was a bit of a jump from slacking off in class to strutting around like some greaser from The Outsiders and picking a fight with everyone who looked at you funny.

No harshing the vibe, though. Rule of the night. Keeping that in mind, she sent a wave in Jonathan and Michael's direction. They hadn't actually done anything to offend her yet, so she could be civil. "I dunno about drinking games. My parents are going to be home when I get back, so I'm trying not to overdo it."

She kept an eye on Contingency Plan #1, also known as Wayne. She could go for a hot dog and a drink in addition to fending off Darius, so lending Wayne a hand might serve her in more ways than one. "Hey Wayne, toss me a beer while you're over there?" She put on her most sugary smile.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina took the beer that Wayne offered her with another, somewhat more genuine, smile. "Thanks." She cracked it open and and took a swig. Tasted cheap, but not terrible. Not that she'd been expecting expensive booze or anything; it was a bonfire hosted by high school students, not a wedding. "I can give you a hand with the hot dogs, if you want. The sooner they get cooked, the sooner we can eat, and I've got nothing better to do."

She made sure to say the last part loud and clear for everyone. For Wayne's benefit, she jerked her head in Darius's direction and rolled her eyes. Fiyori had the right idea. Ignore him and make it clear you're not interested, and maybe he'll go shrivel up in a corner somewhere and leave everyone in peace.

Speaking of which. "Hi, Fiyori." Raina didn't actually know Fiyori all that well or what kind of things she was into, but she was pretty sure she'd heard something about her pulling one over on Darius sometime, so props for that. Maybe she could be relegated to the Darius Wrangling Team tonight if nobody else was willing or able.

But anyway, back to the task at hand. Raina held her hands out to Wayne for some of the hot dog skewers. "Hand 'em over, we'll be less likely to drop them if they're divided up."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina followed Wayne's example in rotating her hot dog periodically; she always had trouble with getting distracted and burning her food at cookouts. "This is more my scene than school dances, yeah. They never seem to want to go for anything real exciting, you know? I was actually sort of down with the theme for this one, but it probably wouldn't live up to expectations, and I didn't feel like going stag."

Or trying to wrangle Crisanto into getting his butt in gear, but it wasn't like he'd want to stick around long even if she did manage that. Besides, they seemed to currently be in the "off-again" stage of the whole on-again, off-again thing.

She tossed a casual wave to Fiyori when the latter strode past before turning her attention back to Wayne. "What about you? Get tragically dumped just before the dance and turn up here to drown your sorrows with us, or were you planning to come all along?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This was fine. Yep. No problems here. Raina could deal with this. Totally.

She plastered her smile back on, though it was obviously fake this time around, and very deliberately kept her focus on Wayne without turning to acknowledge Darius. "Well, that makes two of us, doesn't it?"

Yep. Handling this like a pro.

Raina couldn't stop herself from cringing when Darius attempted a particularly high note. Maybe Fiyori could be motivated to steal something else of his, so he'd leave her the hell alone. "Ignore him, his family usually only lets him out of his cage to go to school, so he doesn't know how to act around normal people." She emphasized normal with just the right amount of derision and annoyance, so that everyone, maybe even Darius himself, would be able to see just how fed up with his nonsense she was getting.

"And yeah, space. If they actually had a budget that was slightly bigger than my weekly allowance, they might be able to- crap!"

With her attention divided, Raina had lost track of her hot dog until it had gotten good and charred and tried to actually catch fire. She yanked it out of the campfire and blew the small flames out before holding the skewer up to try and judge if it was still edible. Damn it all, Darius ruined everything he touched.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thanks." Raina accepted the skewer that Fiyori offered to her and snorted at the suggestion of what she should do with the burnt one. It was true that if anyone here deserved to be slapped in the face with a weenie, it was Darius, but she wasn't sure about, ah... "sodomizing his larynx", as Fiyori so elegantly put it. Mostly because that would require Darius to open his mouth again.

She was just about to say as much, and then...

And then. Well. And then everything went tits-up in the span of about five seconds.

It took the first of those five seconds for Raina's brain to process what was happening, and the rest for her to cringe at the alcohol on Darius's breath.

It only took one more for her to get pissed.

"Get off me, you fucking creep!"

It didn't take a lot of effort to wrench herself out of Darius's grasp and she overdid it somewhat and ended stumbling back and losing her balance, landing on her butt in the dirt. As one might imagine, this did nothing for her sudden blind rage at the fucking nerve of this asshole. She was back on her feet as quickly as possible, grabbing the first thing she laid eyes on - her open beer can, in this case - and flinging it right in Darius's face.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And then all eyes were on her, everybody else was crowding around her and Darius, and Raina was beginning to seriously wonder if maybe she shouldn't have just gone to the stupid dance and played third wheel to Penny and Sam. At least if she'd done that, she wouldn't be standing here angry and humiliated and half a second away from kicking Darius in the balls so hard he'd never walk again, much less have any hope of ever having kids. She'd be doing the rest of the world a favor with that, at least.

Michael managed to make himself actually useful for once and then Junko stepped in, though, and instead of going for the fight, Darius just fired off a lame comeback and wandered off to go do whatever it was he felt he needed to do out of everyone's sight. Good. Stay gone, asshole. If Cris was here...

Well. But he wasn't, was he?

Raina let out an irritated sigh and turned to Wayne. "A walk would be good, I think. I'm not really in the mood to drink for a bit, either. I feel like I smell like the stuff now." She dusted herself off properly, trying to determine if Darius really had gotten his booze stink all over her. It was probably her imagination and lingering knee-jerk reaction at the unwanted hug, but just in case, she didn't want to try and explain that to her parents when she got home.

Once she was as cleaned up as she was going to get, she looked back at Wayne. "Lead the way, I guess?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Joy of joys, here came the new arrivals. Maria was her usual party hard-y self, and would probably be lucky to remember anything that transpired in the next few hours by the time she got up in the morning. If only Raina could say the same.

She could have spared some friendly greeting for Johnny, maybe, but honestly Raina wasn't in a Johnny-wrangling mood right now. Truth be told, she kind of wanted to just go home. Bailing now would be admitting defeat though, and if she came home too early her parents were sure to catch on to the fact that something had gone wrong and then they'd want to know all about the party and Raina would have to come up with some excuse for Darius's behavior that didn't involve alcohol and whatever else he'd bothered to shove into his garbage disposal of a body for the night. Raina would sooner dance naked in front of the rest of the partygoers than cover Darius's ass, so that was out of the question.

Instead, she just shook her head and kept walking until she felt a comfortable distance away from the crowd, where she and Wayne could maybe have something resembling a civilized conversation. Or not. She was feeling wound up and annoyed and just reckless enough to do something somebody would regret just now, so who knew.

She glanced back at Wayne and jerked her head towards a park bench, unspoken question hanging between them.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina plopped down onto the bench next to Wayne, heaving a sigh as she did so. Wayne didn't say anything so she didn't either, instead looking out at the park anywhere except back towards the bonfire, kicking her feet idly in the dirt.

The silence between them wasn't exactly comfortable, they didn't know each other well enough for it to be. The circumstances that had sent them trekking out this way away from the party didn't help, of course. She'd decided to come for the drinks and the food and the companionship, and what did she have? None of those things. Booze-stink on her clothes and a lingering crawling feeling on her skin from Darius's unwanted hug. Ever more reason to back up her disbelief whenever someone tried to tell her what a great time she would miss out on because she went home and went to bed early instead of going out to party.

Raina sighed again and leaned back on the bench, craning her neck back to look up at the sky. Not too much to see, honestly, it was kind of a cloudy night and Kingman was bright for a little town. The other park would have been better for stargazing.

Finally, the itch to break the silence grew too strong. "Guess Sadie Hawkins isn't looking so bad now, huh?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I dunno," Raina said in response to Wayne's question. "Fun, I guess. I don't get to do this stuff normally, so I was kind of expecting it to be worth it when I finally got to go out and party." Maybe a different time and place, with a more discerning guest list would have worked out better. Maybe it just wasn't her destiny to have a wild teen party, given that she hated most of the things that went along with those, like people carelessly trashing the place and sloppy drunks and Darius showing up.

She felt kind of bad for being such a downer when Wayne had wanted to just get away from it all just like she had. She wasn't sure how to make it up to him; just telling him to go back and enjoy himself didn't seem likely to work, and she didn't actually want him to leave her sitting on the park bench all by herself. She didn't know how much longer either of them intended to stick around.

Actually...

Raina sat up straight and looked over at Wayne. "Do you have a car? Or like, any transportation?" A motorcycle would be cool, actually. Hell, she'd deal with trying to balance on a bike right now. She had an idea.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"My mom dropped me off near the park entrance." How she'd gotten here wasn't important right now, though. Raina stood and grabbed Wayne by the arm, pulling him back down the path. She thought about veering back towards the bonfire, but she decided against it. She didn't want to draw everyone's attention back to her, right now, and she knew what kind of comments and rumors there would be if people saw them leaving together.

Raina half-dragged Wayne to the parking lot and waited for him to pick out his car. "I just want to get out of here."

She grinned at him in what she hoped was an intriguing, encouraging way. "Let's go on an adventure."

((Raina Rose continued elsewhere))
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · After the Dance · Next Topic »
Add Reply