Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tiny Vessels
Topic Started: Mar 3 2016, 11:53 AM (1,367 Views)
Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clarice liked dances in theory. They were romantic settings by default, or at least meant to be. There were people, nice music, lots of space stuff. And space was romantic as fuck. That's why couples in films and stories were always looking at the moon.

She just always felt a little out of place. Everyone else looked so nice. Conrad looked great, in his fancy tuxedo and all that. And she was seeing a bunch of people looking all stylish and like they were actually comfortable in dresses.

Clarice's clothes weren't bad—plain sleeveless black dress that went to her knees (black worked with anything, right?) black flats, only other decoration being a naja necklace her mother had given her a couple of years ago—but she felt out of her element. She didn't really do fancy. Even 'high school dance surrounded by fake stars and spaceships' fancy.

Oh well. At least she wasn't here alone.

Clarice smiled as Conrad, being all gentlemanly and all that, offered his hand. She took it.

“Of course. Uh...” She tried to think of a word like 'eminence' but the hip-hop was throwing her off. Instead, she lapsed into giggling. “You know, when I think of tuxedos and bowing and the word 'eminence' I never really imagined it with a hip-hop soundtrack in the back. Maybe I've been reading the wrong books.”

She really had no reason to be embarrassed or awkward. The plus side of dating someone she'd known basically forever was that Conrad probably knew all of the embarrassing things she'd ever done. Nowhere to go but up.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, the whole 'embarrassing things meant nothing because there was nowhere to go but up' thing? That went both ways.

“Conrad. Please. Never do that again.” She said it with a grin, however. “Stick with the, uh, eminence stuff. I'm good with that. I mean, never been called that before. Sounds like I'm some badass queen that's going to crush people with my shoe. ...Although I'm not really big on stomping on people. Didn't bring the right shoes for it.”

She bounced a little along with the music. After Conrad bumped into the first person, Clarice moved forward a little and turned Conrad around, at the same time wrapping one of her arms around his. Conrad stuck securely to her, she moved forward more, dragging him along with her until they were on the dance floor properly, before loosening her grip and returning to just holding his hand.

“Just so you know, I can't dance. It's my deepest, darkest secret.” As if to show her point, Clarice kept bobbing awkwardly to the music.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“I mean, dancing is easy. It's good dancing that's hard. Regular dancing is just moving while music happens in the background, right?”

As nice as this awkward-in-movement-but-not-in-atmosphere dance was, Clarice was happy to see Kiziah when she interrupted for help with getting stuff off her dress.

“Kiziii! It's all good, you're not exactly interrupting a stunning display of skill.” Clarice beamed at Kiziah. Kizi was cool. Very sweet. Relaxed. Clarice wished she could take things that well, sometimes. Arguing and yelling at things could get exhausting.

She let go of Conrad's hands and checked Kizi's back for the piece of velcro. She removed it carefully, looking down at it with mild puzzlement.

“That is weird. Maybe it… fell from somewhere? If it was from a bag, it was probably falling apart anyway.” Clarice didn't really know what to do with the velcro, so she handed it back to Kizi. “And if velcro's not called velcro, what is it called?”

At the compliment, Clarice beamed wider and curled her arm back around Conrad's. “Thanks!” Always nice to hear that. Clarice always kinda worried in the back of her head about it. No romance novel she ever read mentioned the girl having thirty pounds of muscle on the guy, and she got enough mockery from assholes like Bradley on it when she was by herself.

“You look adorable, by the way! Cute dress, looks great! You bring anyone or you just rocking it solo?” As she said that, Clarice realised that Kizi was mostly likely on her own if she had to ask Clarice with help about the velcro thing. Oh well, if she didn't have a date it was probably because she didn't want one. Who wouldn't go with Kizi?
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Why would they insist on everyone using a much less catchy name? That's bad advertising.”

Clarice gave a similar grin to the one Kizi gave them while explaining about her dress. “Hey, no judgement, I grabbed my dress second-hand. At least you know the chances are low that someone died in yours. Granted, probably the same with my dress, too, but you never know.”

Clarice considered initiating a high-five for being a part of the second-hand club, but Kizi stumbled before she could do so. Probably best she hadn't. She might have knocked her over.

“You alright? Maybe the dance floor's not the best place to be chatting. We could all move over there. They got drinks and all that.”

Dancing was the best when it was just her and Conrad, but maybe just relaxing for a bit would work well. She didn't want to accidentally third-wheel Kizi or anything by dancing around with Conrad while Kizi joined in the conversation. Being the third wheel could suck, sometimes. (She knew the feeling. Two of her best friends were dating, and she really liked both Ty and Bernadette but, man, sometimes hanging with those two got super lonely.)
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Conrad caught Kizi just fine, which was good. Last thing that needed to happen was a domino line of people falling on the dance floor or something.

Clarice didn't quite know why, but she felt kind of uncomfortable for a moment. Something off about the whole scene. But she wasn't really the sort to linger on weird unexplainable feelings, so it quickly passed.

“You sure, Kizi? I actually could totally go for some snacks.” Clarice looked between Conrad and Kizi. “I mean, if you've got things to do it's fine, but… I mean, I don't know? Whichever works?”

She did want to keep dancing, although she wasn't lying about being kind of peckish. Really, either way would be fine with her. But she wasn't sure if Conrad wanted to go over there, and she also didn't know if Kizi was just bowing out to be polite.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Yeah, good times for everyone! Let's go get those snacks. I could eat a horse. Well, not really. What does horse even taste like?”

She started to head towards the table, tugging Conrad along by his arm. Nice, they had cake. Who didn't love cake? Fucking idiots, that's who.

She frowned a little when Kizi said who she'd come with.

“You came here with Beaks? He's kind of a dick, though.” Clarice had never been one to hold back on opinions. “I mean, I guess whatever works for you.” She supposed there were worse people. She could have turned up with Bradley. Kizi could totally do better, though.

She let go of Conrad's arm to grab one of the little cupcakes.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clarice just shrugged at Kizi's reply about how it sucked that Clarice thought badly of him. Partially because her mouth was full of cake, partially just to convey 'whatever floats your boat.' Probably best that she didn't say it outloud, since Beaks turned up right after.

She wouldn't normally have an issue with saying it outloud, but this was a dance. And it was going to be fun and there weren't going to be any arguments. It wasn't going to be the fucking bowling alley again.

"Beaks," she said stiffly, after swallowing her mouthful of cake. She nodded at him awkwardly before taking a bigger bite of cake than she might normally have done.

Maybe dancing and leaving Kizi behind was a better idea, now that she knew Kizi wasn't here alone. Her eyes briefly drifted back towards the dance floor, as she watched the various couples dancing.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“S'good,” Clarice responded, taking another bite of cupcake right after to prevent her initial urge to be kind of rude.

She ended up chewing on cupcake through most of Beaks' chatter. She supposed he wasn't really being a dick right now, though something about him was rubbing her the wrong way. She tried not to scowl or frown at him. Granted, she wasn't managing to smile at him, but hey. Small steps.

She still thought Kizi could do way better, though.

At the question as to whether they were there together, she flatly said, “Sure. I'm Mr. President's bodyguard.”

She didn't really want to get into any relationship talk with him. He seemed like the type who'd go way too easily into making fun of it, given that he'd already managed to bring up her size. What better way to head it off than by joking about it herself and hoping that got it over with?

Glancing at Conrad, she nodded her head slightly towards the dance floor, as if to say 'want to go back there?'
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
God, Conrad, don't ask how they met, that'll only prolong having to talk to him.

At least the explanation was short. Clarice nodded absently during the explanation before sticking the remaining bit of cake she was holding inside her mouth and clamping her arm around Conrad's.

“Yeah, we're gonna, uh—“ Clarice waved her hand at the dance floor. “That way. Have fun.”

She gave a little wave to Kizi, then steered Conrad back towards the dance floor. Once her face was turned away from Kizi and Beaks, she made a face at Conrad as if to say 'at least that's over with.'
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clarice started bouncing a little the moment that they were back on the floor. Music was good. Dancing was even better, even if she couldn't dance well.

She took Conrad's hand the moment it was offered, giving him a shrug at the same time.

“Not really. Like I said. He's kind of a dick. I suppose there's bigger dicks. No pun intended. I think Kizi could do better, but… well, I'll wait until a time that isn't a dance to say that. There are better times to argue, right?”

Clarice tilted her head as she bopped along to the music. She'd thought she was on a similar wavelength about Beaks—Conrad hadn't seemed exactly enthusiastic about the Bond comments—but maybe she'd been off with it. Weirder things had happened.

“I mean, if you want to go back we can. Though maybe after a dance or two. Be a bit weird to just 180 immediately.”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Sure, snacks sound good! Be right back, though. Gotta bathroom."

Clarice squeezed Conrad's hand a little before hurrying off. Later she came back, and the night continued.

All in all, it was a pretty damn good night.

((Clarice Halwood continued elsewhere.))
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · At the Dance · Next Topic »
Add Reply