Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tiny Vessels
Topic Started: Mar 3 2016, 11:53 AM (1,368 Views)
General Goose
Member Avatar
Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kizi really hated to interrupt such a graceful and meaningful dance. Truly, she did. They were an adorable company, having a fun little moment of joy and tranquility, and Kizi had been using the brief respite in conversation to chew on a couple of complementary chocolates and take some gurning Snapchats.

But there was a mystery that needed to be solved, and a practical issue that needed to be fixed, and Kizi was not exactly confident in her abilities to address either on her own, let alone balance them. "Hey, Clarice?" she asked, her tone soft, her expression one of ever slight worry.

"I hate to break you out of your dance - truly, I do," she explained, before pointing to the issue in question. "But for some really weird reason a bit of Velcro ended up stuck to the back of my dress. Well, hook and loop fastener. According to the company Velcro you can't actually call the product Velcro, Velcro's the company." She giggled slightly nervously, not sure why she had shared that bit of silly trivia she had encountered on an absentminded Wikipedia stroll while on the way to the prom.

"And I don't know how it got there. I haven't seen anyone wearing Velcro shoes - not that there's anything wrong with that - and definitely no-one's kicked me with a Velcro shoe that's fallen apart..." She paused in thought, unaware she was rambling in her speculation. "At least, not that I can remember, but I'm not really one to forget things like that. I would imagine."

"Oh! Maybe I leaned on a bag. Oh dear. I accidentally took the Velcro off someone's bag."

"Sorry to interrupt your dance by the way!" she added hastily. "Conrad, Clarice, you guys make a great couple."
Edited by General Goose, Mar 6 2016, 06:53 AM.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thanks," Kizi replied, taking back the piece of Velcro, before realising she did not have a pocket to put it in. Looking around for somewhere to put it, just in case the occupant of the bag or shoe wanted it back at any point, she decided to stick it on her side. She could take it off when she needed to, and it'd just rustle up a few strands of the fabric. No biggie. "Yeah, apparently it's called hook and loop fastener. That's the technical name. Which is stupid, but the Velcro company doesn't want it to become a generic term, so we should probably, y'know, do what they want? To be nice?"

She patted the hook-and-loop fastener now hanging from her side.

"And thanks! It's a hand-me-down, not gonna lie," she said grinning, as if confiding a saucy secret. "Lisha wore it to her prom. Luckily we're roughly the same size. To be honest, when Olabode's prom comes around, we'll probably hand it down to him, so gotta take care of it."

Oh wait no. Olabode didn't wear dresses. Probably wouldn't wear one to his prom.

She hoped they wouldn't notice her gaffe, and tried to cover her gaffe by smiling at the compliments, which were probably quite unwarranted. "But really, thanks!" She twirled around, pretending to egotistically bask in their praise, but almost stumbled to the ground on her way back round.

"Whoops!" she stumbled forward, barely recovering her balance.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kizi steadied her balance, repeatedly reciting synonyms of 'thank you' to Conrad, throwing him a few grateful smiles, even adding in a few esoteric multilingual translations of the expression of gratitude, just to drive home the point. Truth be told she would have found her footing without Conrad's intervention, but she decided not to mention that.

She felt a bit of a fool. She was not clumsy, but moments like that created an unwelcome perception that she was. She had avoided heels that were too high, as she always did, but still felt slightly out of her comfort zone in these stupid shoes. That discomfort manifested itself in an uncharacteristic level of clumsiness.

"You guys can dance if you want," she continued, now back on her feet again, her chorus of 'thank yous' exhausted. "I can leave you guys to your dancing if you want, I just needed help with the Velcro situation."

She hastily added "the Velcro on my dress, not the fact that it's legally not called Velcro."
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"We could go for some snacks, sure!" Kizi secretly hated this position, of feeling she put someone out but not wanting to turn down their kindness for fear of being ungrateful - maybe they both genuinely did want a quick break, after all and she did not want to be a wrench in the works for that desire. This difficult position, caught between offers of kindness and a moral obligation not to be permanently demanding, seemed to happen quite often to her, she had noticed. Or at the very least, she struggled to handle it with deftness and grace.

Anyway, she had established a rule. Ask twice, then take the kindness. That way she was neither too willing to be helped nor too resistant to friendly offers. It had served her well, despite sometimes going against her natural, and counterproductively rather bothersome, inclinations not to be a bother. She had asked twice.

Had she?

Darn, she couldn't remember now. She couldn't add in another. Darn, this was a flaw in the system.

Oh well.

She smiled as they began walking to the snack table.

"So I'm here with Aiden - Slattery," she added for clarification, not mentioning his more infamous traits of sensitivity regarding his sister or a rather beakish nose. She did not like his nickname 'Beaks', as it seemed quite personally derogatory, and while he seemed okay with it, he also was okay with being known by his Christian name, and so that was what she stuck with. For ease. Didn't want to call him Beaks in the wrong situation, after all. "As partners. Not really as dates, more as friends. But yeah, he's off to the toilet for a few minutes."
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kizi shrugged, and chuckled nervously, at Clarice's forthright expression of her opinion on Aiden. She did not feel entitled to challenge Clarice's opinion. It was one she had probably developed with some justification, though she was sure it was fundamentally down to innocuous personality clashes or plain ol' misunderstanding. Kizi believed most personality clashes in school stemmed from such misunderstandings. Mistakes were easy to make. She misunderstood things a lot, so she was kinda hypervigilant about the dangers of miscommunication.

See, it was gossip like this that made her fear the name 'Beaks' might have unacknowledged negative connotations. She saw him coming over now so, while she had no interest in doing so, she could hardly afford to get into a debate about his merits. It was unseemly. Impolite.

"Yeah, it's just I didn't have a partner, he didn't have a partner, and I get on with him. Sucks you think that about him."

She timed it so her sentence finished just as he came into earshot, and chuckled at his joke. She did like this sort of friendly teasing. "I'm good," she replied, "A to the....iden. It doesn't work so well." B to the eaks would also be awful, she thought, but did not voice that opinion out loud. "How are you?"
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well.

Things were awkward.

Kizi saw that now.

She doubted Aiden did, however.

Yeah. She could maybe understand a little bit how he could rub people the wrong way. That WC Republic line was pretty meh. She smiled out of friendliness though. And sadly, every line that followed was perhaps even more cringe-inducing, his blabbermouth moving perhaps a bit too fast for her more conventional methods of ice-breaking and making introductions to prevail.

But hey, on average, Kizi enjoyed his company, so that was the main thing.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kizi distracted herself by nobbling ferociously at the various treats and snacks on display behind her, one ear on the conversation going on so as to be ready to intervene were a personality clash between Aiden and Clarice to materialise in some more tangible form. She had appreciated Clarice being so blunt and forthright, in hindsight. She would not have spotted the signs herself, and may have ended up forcing the two duos into a more direct conversation.

"Yeah, standard school friend stuff," she said, adding a fellow addendum to Aiden's own explanation. A summary, as it were.

And after his line about the uppercut, she clenched her fist and pretended to drive it into his chin. Her motions were too slow, even at its fastest, to be able to deliver anything more than a negligible bump, but she made sure to stop an inch from his chin anyway. "Yeah, he's right about that. Can't dance a bit."
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kizi chuckled, but she didn't quite get the "melodramatic" joke. The whole 'Irish names begin with O and then an apostrophe' thing wasn't really on the forefront of her mind right now. She'd probably get it later, plus a few awesome witty retorts to boot, when she was brushing her teeth or something. But for now, well, the cadence and context suggested it was yet another pun, so she chuckled, as she knew that would alleviate any hurt or suspicion from her not getting it.

Well, she felt bad for lying already. And it'd bug her.

She was too busy ruminating on her options to really quite respond to Aiden's next set of comments in real time. "Yeah, they're great!" Her reply to his 'lovely bunch' comment was devoid of any recognition of even a hint of sarcasm or feigned friendliness in his voice. "Good friends of mine, love 'em both."

"Sure! A drink sounds good! Do you know if they have OJ here?"

And before she forgot...

"Also, I didn't get the melodramatic joke. It was a joke, right?"
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

General Goose
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And nothing of interest happened to Kizi that night. She had a good enough time - a few laughs, all platonic good fun - and then she went home and slept.

((Kizi Saraki continued elsewhere.))
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · At the Dance · Next Topic »
Add Reply