Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
He's So Tall and Handsome as Hell; Enter Mr. and Mrs. Harte-Reyes
Topic Started: Mar 2 2016, 04:37 PM (1,271 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba's mouth slowly opened as she walked into the dance hall. What was once the gym was now what Alba imagined was the kind of party that would be held in a high school on Mars in the year 3000. Well, at least if they didn't have much money, that is. Regardless, Alba was still really excited to be here. It was her first major dance in high school, and she was ready to have a fun evening.

The preparations for the dance were handled somewhat smoothly. Alba found an inexpensive and cute burgundy colored dress that reached her knees, allowing her to really move along with the rhythm if she wanted. Plus, it was really fun to twirl in. Tonight was one of the rare times she wore her hair down, and her mom helped curl the ends and pinned a barrette in her hair. Her jewelry was also fairly cheap, but tasteful, with small earrings and a simple silver necklace that used to belong to her grandmother. She couldn't afford anything super expensive for tonight, but this was a good look for her based on how economical she managed to be.

Dinner was also cheap. She and Brendan went out to a local Mexican restaurant, one that wouldn't cost too much for the both of them. It had been a nice dinner out. She made sure to be careful as she ate, knowing it'd be death if she got any refried beans on her dress. Alba also wanted the dinner to be the start of a good talk with Brendan. She remembered how he asked if they were going as boyfriend and girlfriend tonight, and while it was too soon to say whether she wanted to date him or not, she wanted to at least see if tonight was the kind of time they'd have if they dated after the dance.

So, Alba walked in as the music changed to some dance song she didn't recognize. She let out a slight chuckle.

"Wow, I can't believe we're here," Alba said to Brendan. "Are you ready to have fun?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba continued to look around the dance hall. Brendan made some comment about this whole thing feeling like a dream. Alba nodded and giggled to herself.

"I hope it's the good kind of dream," she mentioned. "I mean, lately I've had weird dreams involving my teeth. Like, they'll be so brittle they fall out easily, or they break apart when I close my mouth. The weirdest one was me discovering that Chinese jewel smugglers embedded jewels in my teeth in order to sneak them over international borders. I still don't get why I'm having those kinds of dreams, but they make for interesting discussion."

Brendan then asked what they should do. Alba took a quick look around. They didn't really need a table, and it was too soon after dinner to run to the refreshment table. That left the open dance floor, with a Pharrell song playing in the background. Alba pointed over to the dance floor.

"I think we should dance for a bit, if that's okay with you," Alba said. "I'm not the best dancer, but I think I can keep in rhythm with the song."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba smiled and took Brendan's hand.

"Don't worry. If you're embarrassing yourself, I'll make a fool out of myself so we can be dorks together."

Alba pulled Brendan towards the dance floor, letting out a small cheer as they ran into the area. She let go of Brendan's hand and started to dance to the best of her abilities. This mostly meant keeping her feet planted in one spot, and awkwardly moving her hips side to side. Her arms were kept to her side, slightly bent at the elbows and moving in a somewhat circular motion. From what she could approximate, she was probably blending in with the dance crowd and wouldn't look like a total idiot dancing like this.

"Woo!" she shouted towards Brendan, trying to talk over the music. "I think I'm getting into it!"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba continued to dance in the same awkward manner she had before. Brendan had joined in and, like her, was committed to dancing without caring.

"Aw yeah!" she shouted once Brendan started going along with her. "Work it!"

Alba moved slightly closer to where Brendan was and continued to dance. She continued to sway along, letting her dress move and flow with her movement. She turned around and started dancing with Brendan to her back. It was the kind of dancing she thought was similar to those dance movies her mom liked. It was pretty fun, and she hoped it stayed like that for the rest of the evening.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I am too!" Alba shouted. "Let's keep it up all night!"

Alba continued to dance with her back to Brendan. She moved her hands up to the side of her head, bending her elbows forward. She continued to dance the same as before, moving slightly closer to Brendan. She was starting to lose herself in the moment. Maybe it was the music, or maybe it was the impetus to dance like an idiot, but she really having fun.

"Let me know if you want to take a break anytime," Alba shouted to Brendan. "I can keep going for a while, but let me know when you want to sit down or whatever."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Timeskip approved))

After a few rounds of dancing, Alba had led Brendan to a nearby table for a short break. Alba wasn't used to wearing heels, and it was starting to wear her out. If she had worn sneakers or roller blades, she probably would be handling this a lot better, but this was a new feeling. As the thought of roller skating around the dance floor entertained her, she slipped her feet out of her shoes and started rubbing her feet together under the table.

"Man, I'm beat," Alba said.

Alba took a sip of punch from the cup ahead of her. She made sure she and Brendan got some punch before they sat down.

"Hey, do you think this punch is powdered, or homemade?" she asked Brendan. "I usually only drink the powdered stuff, but I wonder if they shelled out extra bucks for real fruit and shit."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Well, I guess I can't tell what kind of fruit punch is powdered and which is fresh," Alba said. "It doesn't matter. It's sweet, it's cold, and it's gonna make my tongue red, so it's all good with me."

Alba took another sip of punch.

"But man, I didn't think I'd be able to dance as much as I did tonight. I've got good stamina from roller derby, but I didn't think I could dance so long. It's kind of fun."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, doing more fun things would be awesome," Alba told Brendan. "I mean, dances are great, but it'd be fun to go play golf or go shopping or whatever."

"And please, don't worry about your dancing," Alba said. "I mean, I saw some kids really working it, but this isn't a competition, so I don't think anyone needs to really try hard here. You'll be fine."

Alba then noticed that Brendan was waving over at someone. She followed his gaze and saw someone standing against the wall. Alba didn't know who he was, but Brendan seemed to know, and the guy was now coming over.

"Hey, who's this?" she asked Brendan.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba nodded along as Brendan explained who his friend was. Alba didn't have any classes with Maxim, probably because he was a senior like Brendan.

"Oh, he can join, it's fine with me," Alba explained.

Once Maxim arrived, Alba gave him a smile. Brendan introduced her to him, and she gave him a nod in acknowledgement. Brendan had trouble figuring out how to identify Alba. He settled on "friend date," which Alba had never heard of.

"Yeah, 'friend date' sounds right," Alba said in agreement with Brendan's comment.

Maxim then asked if he could sit. Alba nodded and gestured to an empty seat at the table.

"Yeah, definitely. Take a break with us."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba smiled as Maxim took a seat at their table. It was a fun evening so far, but maybe it would be better with other people around. If this was Brendan's friend, Alba was sure she'd enjoy his company.

The guys were talking about punch and who would get some. Alba quickly finished her cup.

"Actually, I can get punch for the table," Alba said.

Alba stood up from her seat.

"I got to use the bathroom, so I can get some on my way back."

Alba didn't wait for their response. Partially because she really had to go to the bathroom, but also because she figured it'd be easier if she jumped on this grenade.

"I'll be back in a moment. Max, don't steal my date."

Alba chuckled and quickly walked away from the table. She didn't want to keep the guys waiting, so she needed to be as quick as she could be in these shoes.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba dance-walked over to the refreshment table. She made her bathroom trip as quick as possible so she wouldn't miss anything, and so she wouldn't leave the guys waiting too long for punch. She reached the table and hummed to herself.

Alba grabbed three cups and laid them out in a row on the table. One by one she started to fill them with the ladle. Once she had them filled, she tried to push the three cups together so she could carry them with both hands.

"Okay, the next part is crucial," she muttered to herself.

Alba walked around the dance hall, past all the other students and towards the table where Brendan and Maxim were seated. She approached them from behind, trying to step carefully without spilling any punch. She couldn't hear what they were talking about over the music, so she spoke loudly as she got close.

"Hey, muchachos," she shouted, placing the cups on the table. "Who's thirsty?"

Alba began to pass the cups down the table to Maxim and Brendan. She then took her seat.

"So, did I miss anything?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba took a sip from her cup of punch as the guys spoke. According to Maxim, they were talking about a book series while she was gone. She remembered that Brendan liked books from their previous conversations. Maxim did look like the guy who would read a lot, so she was sure that conversations about literature were common for them. Maxim also thanked her for the punch, asking if she was okay letting the women do the men's work.

"Eh, it doesn't matter," Alba said. "I offered to do it."

"But anyways, what kind of book series?" she asked. "I haven't read anything in a while and I'd be up for recommendations."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba listened closely as the guys talked about Skulduggery Pleasant. She had never heard of the series, but from how Brendan and Maxim spoke about it, it sounded like something that had been around for a while and that had a strange sense of humor. Alba suddenly felt really embarrassed to not know as much about literature as they did. It sounded like they had some really strong opinions on the books.

"Sorry, never heard of it," Alba said. "But I'd probably like it if it's funny. I like funny stuff."

Maxim asked her about the books she read. Alba had to pause and think about it. What was the last time she read for pleasure and not for a grade? She had to think for a moment.

"I don't really have any favorite genres," she finally said. "I mean, I've liked some of the stuff I've read for school, but it's probably been years since I read anything for fun. Well, I guess I've read a few things for my brother and sister when they were smaller. I don't know if things like Dr. Seuss or Captain Underpants are in the same league as what you guys read, but I've enjoyed those quite a bit. Especially Captain Underpants."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba nodded when Brendan asked if Captain Underpants was a comedy series. He mentioned liking Goosebumps when he was younger. Alba was sure she had read some of those books when she was younger, but couldn't recall any of them off the top of her head. She was sure they were scary at the time and would probably be charming if she read them now.

Then, Brendan said he had to go to the bathroom, and asked Maxim to go with him. Alba wasn't sure why Brendan would need a guy to go with him to the bathroom, but it was probably the same as when Alba and one of her girlfriends would go. Besides, she already went to the bathroom and it probably made Brendan realize he hadn't gone in a while.

"Okay then," Alba said. "I'll just sit here and wait. See you in a bit!"

Alba took a sip from her punch and looked out into the dance floor. She could entertain herself by watching her peers and listening to the music until the guys came back. They didn't need to rush.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba tapped her fingers on the table and began to sway in her seat as the song changed to "Counting Stars." It had been a few minutes since the guys had left, and she had enjoyed her time waiting for them. Sure, it would have been more fun to go out and dance with Brendan and Maxim, but she knew guys needed to go to the bathroom in groups just as much as girls did. She could let them have their moment and then get back to dancing once they came in.

Alba quickly pulled her cellphone out of her bag. It wasn't the best phone in the world, but it was the best flip phone her parents could afford. She pulled it out and quickly texted a message to her mom.

"SH is so fun! I'll tell you more when I get home."

Alba sent the message and put the phone away. She had slightly hoped that the guys would have returned while she was distracted, but she still didn't see them. For now, she continued to sit in her seat and bobbed along to the music and the energy from the dance crowd.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · At the Dance · Next Topic »
Add Reply