Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bohemian Purgatory; you're required to have the song stuck in your head to join
Topic Started: Feb 29 2016, 04:20 PM (495 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wasn't it a little early in the evening to be pulling Queen out already?

Cristo didn't dislike Queen or "Bohemian Rhapsody", not at all. But it had always struck him as more of a finale song than something you just played in the middle of an event like this. From where he was loitering by the refreshment table, he could see some people singing along though, so he supposed it wasn't that big a deal as long as someone was enjoying themselves. He was also relieved that the playlist wasn't just going to be twenty Taylor Swift songs on a loop or something equally safe and silly like that. Not that he hated Taylor Swift either, but his preferences tended to fall outside of pop and love songs.

He hadn't even planned on going to the dance until Abby half-begged, half-bullied him into tagging along with her and Jasper (as if anything she ever did could genuinely be considered bullying). Crowds were absolutely not his thing, but he always had a good time with Abby and Jasper was nice, and nobody was forcing him to mingle. Maybe if someone asked, he'd go and dance for a few songs. For now, he was going to hang out in his corner with the UFO decals and sip his lemonade.

He wouldn't say he was bored, or anxious, but he wasn't particularly having fun yet. The gym was too dimly lit to afford a real view of the so-called dance floor, and there was little else to hold his attention so far without him hovering around Abby and Jasper.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"...Hey, Alessio." Cristóbal wasn't sure what other response he was supposed to have given, since Alessio immediately started stuffing his face as soon as he greeted him. He was smiling, but didn't seem particularly happy. Cristo had to wonder if his date situation or lack thereof had turned out badly before the dance.

His little corner was quickly getting more crowded, as a senior girl strolled up to them soon after. She didn't seem too enthusiastic about the dance either, judging by her tone. Cristo couldn't claim at all that he had been super excited to go, but at least he was trying to enjoy himself while he was here. Why would you show up to an event that you had no investment in at all? He was here with friends, after all, even if he didn't have a date.

"It's not bad," he said, taking another sip of lemonade. "I'm not so sure about the theme, though..."
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cristo relaxed a bit when it became clear that Rene wasn't insistent on being too negative. He never knew how to react to people who just wanted to complain. "The snacks are pretty good, yeah." He plucked a cheese cube off of the plate to punctuate his point. Al was still lost in metaphorical space to go along with the dance's theme, it seemed. Definitely looking like a bad pre-dance encounter there.

"Were you, um... what about you?" He fumbled a question in Rene's direction. "I mean, besides enjoying the snacks and decor."

...Should he say something to Al? The faraway look in his eyes was sort of worrying.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Well, I-" Cristóbal cut himself off when sudden movement on the dance floor caught his eye. It looked like someone had fallen down, and he made a brief move away from the snack table as if to go lend a hand before the guy stood back up. Oh. Well. He seemed okay? Irene was over there, dancing around and clinging to the guy now, so it seemed she'd found a fitting date.

Hopefully they wouldn't hurt themselves, each other, or anybody around them. The possibility wasn't at all out of the question with Irene.

"Sorry," He sent one last glance at the scene on the dance floor before turning back to Rene. "I'm here with friends, but they went to dance."

Cristo glanced over at Alessio. He'd chimed back in but still seemed out of it. He could try to include Al in the conversation more, but maybe he just didn't really want to be bothered. It was difficult to gauge his mood with the dim lighting and Al mostly stuffing his face instead of talking. If Cristo's guess was right and Al had had a swing and miss with a date before the dance, he wasn't sure he wanted to dredge that up.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Actually, maybe he should say something.

"Are, uh... are you doing alright, Alessio? You seem distracted." Distracted was a good way to put it, safer than "upset" or "bothered". It gave Al enough of an opportunity to dodge the real underlying question, if he really didn't want to talk about it.

Cristo speared another cheese cube with a toothpick while he waited for a reply. Not bad, really. He supposed more of the budget had gone to the DJ and the food than the decorations.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cristo turned his attention back to Rene when she nudged him. "Hm... I don't think they'd stop you from taking a sandwich, at least. What would they do, make you put it back after you've already been carrying it around?"

It wasn't out of the question, he supposed. He didn't always understand the logic behind the various school policies and decisions made by the teachers. Still, surely it was much better to just let someone escape with an already-manhandled sandwich than put it back in with the others with whatever germs it might now be carrying.

"Are the sandwiches good, by the way? I haven't tried one yet."
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · At the Dance · Next Topic »
Add Reply