Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bad Days, Bad Moods, Bad Burgers; Open to all! ^-^
Topic Started: Jan 8 2016, 08:05 AM (1,221 Views)
Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Lily Caldwell continued from Every day is great at your Junes.))

Lily had been sick for the last week due to a cold. But first off, there was only so long that knitting could amuse her for (and now she had a green scarf as long as she was tall, which she was currently wearing along with a particularly large yellow sweater and a yellow beanie because it had rained on her on the way there and she'd gotten too chilly) and, two, her parents had said 'Lily, you can't do that' so her immediate (internal) response had been 'screw you, I can definitely do that.' Externally, she'd said 'okay' and then snuck out of the house the moment her parents had left for work.

So currently she was still cold, still stuffed up and thinking that maybe her parents had been right, because she did not feel good at all. Not that she was going to admit it to anyone but herself. At least she hadn't sneezed on anyone yet. On the positive side, she probably wouldn't be able to taste the food today.

She would have sat by herself or with friends, but she didn't immediately see any friends and the place was getting steadily more packed. So once she'd gotten her burger and thanked the serving lady she settled for heading towards one of the emptier tables. Only girl currently sitting there was a girl called Juniper, who Lily mostly remembered in passing because it was an odd name.

“Excuse me? May I sit here?” It came out both croaky—the cough had gone, but it had left her with a very sore throat—and stuffed. Combined with looking generally on her deathbed—Lily swore that it looked and sounded less bad than it actually was—she wouldn't be surprised if the girl said no or called a priest to give the last rites.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The pause went long enough that Lily had been on the verge of backing away when Juniper finally gave her answer. Lily managed a small smile as she sat down.

“Thank you.”

As Lily put her tray in front of her, she noticed that Alvaro had appeared. She smiled a little more at him. She noticed that Juniper sounded a little more enthusiastic about Alvaro sitting down. That was fair. Maybe they knew each other. Or Alvaro was just less dead-looking.

“Hello.” She nodded at Alvaro before turning back to Juniper. “Sorry, no, we haven't met. I'm Lily. Lily Caldwell. I'd shake your hand but I don't want you to catch anything. And, uh… yes. Things are… chill?”

She fiddled around with the end of her scarf for a moment before looking between Alvaro and Juniper.

“Do you two know each other?”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lily shifted a little at the mention of the cafe. She'd been avoiding the place since last time, after realising that Caedyn worked there. She wasn't sure how she hadn't noticed before, but she preferred to minimize the risk of running into the physical embodiment of a headache. But that was hardly the sort of thing she should bring up. Insulting one of Alvaro's co-workers would just be rude. As would drawing attention to the fact that he hadn't been visiting the cafe as often lately. Pity. She really did like that cafe.

“Oh. Yeah. It's a nice cafe.” When not infested with Caedyn and her dreadlocks.

Juniper put the little container of moisturizer in front of her. Lily didn't immediately process that it was being offered to her. She stared blankly at the cellophane-wrapped package for a moment before it clicked.

“...Oh! Um, uh...” She was caught off-guard by the kindness of that gesture. Lily fiddled with the end of her scarf again for a moment, going a little bit pink in the face, before smiling. “Thank you, that's… that's very nice of you. You said a tester pot, right? I'll make sure and tell you how it works.” She reached out to pick up the little pot, turning it over to try and look at the ingredients.

Lily couldn't very well let the thoughtfulness of that pass without making some sort of return gesture. Okay, she could, but she'd prefer not to. And she had some watermelon straws in her bag. She usually had a couple of packets on her, and that went double for days when she had colds because the chili powder in them was one of the few things she could usually taste. As she checked her bag, she responded to Juniper's question.

“Catching up on schoolwork, primarily. I need to find notes for… everything.” Then copy them out quickly, then look up any places where there were holes in the knowledge, then write them out again in a clearer and easy to reference manner. That would likely take up her entire evening, if not tomorrow as well.

She found an unopened packet of watermelon straws (there was an opened one, too, but she was afraid she might have diseased the contents of that one and it was nearly empty anyway), pulling it out and placing the packet neatly on the table.

“Would you like some watermelon straws? They have chili powder in them, though, just in case you aren't a fan of that.” Lily looked between Juniper and Alvaro. “If either of you are interested, just… uh, yeah. Go for it.”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Always good to hear,” Lily said, in response to the note about it being organic. Whether something was organic or not didn't really concern her, but it couldn't hurt. “And it's alright, I know who I can go to to get notes for—“

She cut off upon hearing Alvaro's reaction to eating the watermelon straw.

“Oh, uh… sorry,” she said sheepishly. “I didn't… didn't think the chili was that intense.” She'd have to make a note to not offer the straws to Alvaro in the future. She didn't want to burn his tongue off. Or waste more perfectly good salsagheti.

She'd been fiddling with the scarf again when Juniper asked about it, and let go of the end of the scarf like it had burned her.

“Thank you. I made it while I was sick.”

She picked up her burger and took a bite, pausing after she did so to look at her food suspiciously. She couldn't taste it, but that was… not a good texture for a burger to have. After a moment of consideration, however, she shrugged and kept eating.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lily made a brief face at Juniper to communicate her agreement with the mouthed 'brave.' She was hungry—she hadn't eaten properly over the last week—so she'd still probably eat it. What could she really do? Waste food? No. She didn't envy whatever Juniper had in her burger, though.

“Yes. I've had practice. My grandmother taught me pretty well.”

Lily eyed Alvaro with mild concern. He hadn't realised there was chili powder in it? That… could be a problem. Had she ever seen Alvaro eating spicy foods? Had he not been listening when she told them what was in it?

“Chili powder, yes. Um… not a fan, then? Sorry.” Lily tugged the packet of watermelon straws back sheepishly, moving them away from Alvaro. She left them still in reach of Juniper, just in case. “Are you alright?”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“...Okay?”

Well. That was weird. Lily watched Alvaro run off with a look of mild puzzlement. He left his things, so she supposed he was coming back. She hoped he hadn't upset him, somehow. Could she have phrased the warning better?

Lily could not recall ever being called 'amazeballs' before. Or being flattered so heavily, especially based on what had so far mostly been 'giving out candy and being able to knit.' While she was well on her way to forming a set of very grandmotherly skills and interactions, that wasn't typically the sort of thing that earned flattery. But Juniper seemed pretty earnest about it. How nice of her.

“You're not tiring.” Although Lily suspected Juniper would be over long stretches of time, but as long as personal boundaries were respected and Lily had time to recharge it would be fine. She fidgeted with her scarf again, smiling sheepishly. “But you're welcome. And thank you for not doing this—“ She crossed her fingers over in a 'begone, foul demon' gesture. “—at me. Or anything like that. I mean, thank you for letting me sit here.”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lily looked up as Alessio plopped into Alvaro's recently vacated chair. She liked Alessio. He was part of the robotics club, and he was fairly easy to be around.

"Hello. I'm good."

Of course, being sick meant she wasn't good. But it just felt rude to go 'oh, well, I've sneezed most of my lungs up but otherwise doing fine.'

She took another bite of her burger, swallowing it with some struggle, while wondering if she should point out that he'd sat in someone else's chair. She decided it could wait, instead opting to mostly listen for now.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lily nodded silently in response to the talk about coffee. She sure should go for some, after getting caught in that rain. Normally if she was out and about she'd get coffee from Vacanti's, but… still not ready to risk running into the Dreadlocks Monster.

“I can't really tell,” she said, concerning the burgers. For all she knew it could have tasted amazing, even if the texture was off.

Lily glanced at Alvaro's chair, then at Alessio.

“It might be best if you pulled up a different chair. That one was Alvaro's. He'll be back. And moving is less complicated than shuffling everyone around.”
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“It's alright.”

Lily took another bite of burger before Alvaro returned. Her mouth full and thus speaking not being an option, she greeted him by waving.

Juniper was probably right about it being the chilli. She really had to stop offering people watermelon straws. Find a different, safer candy. Like peppermints or toffees or something. ...Then she'd have to carry around like a whole different bag of candy, though, because she wasn't giving up her chilli powder candies.

“Sorry about the ch—aah.” Lily scrunched up her nose before covering it, holding out her other hand briefly as a sneeze tickled her nose. Last thing she wanted to do was sneeze all over Alvaro to top off the 'apparently nearly killing him with sweets' thing.

It was one of those awkward sneezes that took a few seconds to actually happen, during which she made a series of awkward faces before finally sneezing.

“Guh. Sorry.” Lily searched her pockets for a tissue with her free hand, other hand still in front of her nose, while keeping her ears out for the conversation.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alvaro breaks out in hives when exposed to chili? How did he even live like that? Spicy food was the best.

“Sorry, I'll—“ Lily sneezed again, although this time she'd located tissues in time. “I'll keep that in mind—“ Sneeze. “For the futu—“

Another sneeze. Alright, this was just getting annoying. And this couldn't be helping her odds of spreading germs.

“Excuse me—“ Two sneezes that time around. Ugh, she hoped she wasn't going for a record. Her record was seventeen over the space of three minutes. She kept the tissue clamped firmly over her nose before choking out, “I need to go, I'm sorry.”

This burger wasn't doing much for her hunger anyway. Lily picked up her tray with one hand and, nodding at both Alvaro and Alessio, hurried away. Still letting out periodic sneezes. Perhaps her parents had been right about the fact that she shouldn't have shown up. Not that she'd admit it to them.

((Lily Caldwell continued in I can't think of any cutesy love songs that'd fit as a thread title, consider this a placeholder.))
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Cafeteria · Next Topic »
Add Reply