Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mad Dewey Dash; Open to all! Plz luv meh
Topic Started: Jan 6 2016, 06:20 AM (1,367 Views)
CoreyImperia
Member Avatar
Chanel #7
[ * ]
The school library was a place Lani Salder frequented heavily. While never a literature appreciator, the solace and the quiet that the library demanded made her feel placid and at ease. It was a chance to break away from the constant tribulations of your everyday teenage girl and to have a moment just to herself: Lani time.

LANI SALDER: PREGAME START
She had just been assigned a new tutor, Joshua Bracewell, another junior she knew through his heavy campaigning for junior vice president. She was glad he won; he certainly had her vote with all the good she thought he’d bring to the student council. They’d worked together well so far, and she’d taking a nervous liking to the boy; he was definitely helping her grades, that’s for sure. Lani’s eyes scurried across the walls and shelves, seeking a particular round countenance: half-past four. She had time to spare before he was expected to arrive.

570: Biology.
Lani and her mother had baked some beautiful citrus balls for to give to her tutor as a thank you for the assistance so far; she carried them in a Tupperware container, and they sat uniformly adorned with yellow and green coatings and orange flower petals. Flannery always insisted that Lani show gratitude to those willing to help her out, and Lani just never wanted to make a poor impression. Her outfit this afternoon reflected this too: a smart midnight blue blazer over her white blouse speckled with floral patterns; a flowing, tangerine skirt of length just below the knee; and pale vanilla penny loafers.

540: Chemistry.
She stopped suddenly, noticing a missing book from a shelf arranged and stacked in an otherwise totalitarian fashion; the book, The Flowers and the Trees: An Introduction to Plant Systems, had fallen to the carpeted floor. Picking it up, Lani smiled. She remembered reading this one; in fact, she even had a copy at home. Flannery had picked it up for her fifteenth birthday, after Lani showed such a love for the subject. Shuffling through the catalogue, Lani returned the textbook into its allocated slot and continued navigating the labyrinth.

510: Mathematics.
Finding a spare seat, Lani sat beside a window; the sunlight reflected off the glossy tabletop, creating streaks of yellow light for them to bask in as they worked. Might as well get ready while I wait, she thought. Lani pulled her textbooks from her bag and layered them across the tabletop meticulously. She didn’t want to give her new tutor the wrong impression. Lani’s gaze darted across the room, scouting for anyone she knew that could keep her company until they had arrived. She relaxed and waited patiently for her session to begin.
Version Six:
Lani Salder
“I’m just like everyone else.”
PREGAME: Past: {1} {2} / Present: {1} / Sadie Hawkins: _
V6: _

Juniper Colton “Hiya! Would you like to try one of our latest massage bars?”
PREGAME: Past: {1} / Present: {1} / Sadie Hawkins: _

Madison Blanche “Well, at least you tried.”
Currently in conception

F is for Friends who do stuff together

A wild recipe appeared!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CoreyImperia
Member Avatar
Chanel #7
[ * ]
“Oh, hiya Nate! I'm doing alright, thanks.” Her response was pleasant. Lani warmly welcomed the company, and it look as though the pair were here for similar reasons. “Of course! Have a seat; I'm just waiting on a tutor, but I'm quite early.” She hadn’t seen Nate since she last attended swim practice. “It's nice to see a friendly face around here!”

She shifted space for him, moving aside her array of textbooks that lay sprawled across the table into a neat, tiered pile beside her. Trigonometric equations and measurement on the top of course. She peered at the heap of nonfiction Nate was carrying in his arms. I guess that upcoming test has others a little nervous too, she contemplated. Lani had started to improve on her mathematics, a testament to Joshua’s ability as a tutor, but she still had some ways to go before her results would please her—let alone her mother.

Lani briefly stole a glance out the window; the sun was still shining fervently, making her a little jealous of anyone not studying at this very moment. Extracting her iPhone from her bag, she lit the screen up to check the time. After placing it on the table, she turned to speak to Nate, making use of the company she’d acquired.

“So, Nate. How're you doing? Studying for the math test?”
Version Six:
Lani Salder

Currently in conception

A wild recipe appeared!

CoreyImperia
Member Avatar
Chanel #7
[ * ]
Lani sat in contemplation, not understanding Nate’s need for self-deprecation. She didn’t think he was stupid at all, and especially not so because sometimes tests try to tell him otherwise. She’d seen this before though, and while she desperately wanted to perk up his mood, she considered her words very carefully as not to make him think she was pitying him. Why would she? She was here, with the same doubts, studying for the very same test.

“Tests are dumb Nate.” She looked up at him with that and just smiled. “Also, maths is just outrageously hard.”

Her own insecurities about her scholastic abilities were starting to show in her words. Lani was, by no means, a poor student; she sat on an A- average, but her performance in mathematics had always worried her, especially how much her mother stressed tertiary education to her. Lani felt compelled to do whatever she could to ensure that she made it into a prestigious institution. She could never get her head around the formulae in maths unfortunately, so she often found herself utterly bombing tests. This is why she’d enlisted the help of Joshua, who was more than happy to lend a hand, and insisted that she not pay for his services. She never liked letting others know she’s tutored however, fearing that others might see it as a chance to ridicule, isolate, and devalue her. Lani didn’t might Nate knowing at all when she thought about; there was a comfortability she felt around him.

“I wouldn’t worry about you being in my way Nate; I always enjoy your company!” She exclaimed. “Besides, if I know Joshua like I think I do, I doubt he’d mind. He’d probably be excited to see another face sitting here!”

Lani felt a little more at peace, a little more at ease speaking with Nate. Her day wasn’t awful by any means, but the upcoming test did have her a bit down. She became nervous when he asked her about her worries about the test, visibly so, but she tried to regain her composure as much as she could, bringing back her positivity-engorged grin.

“Well, it’s nothing major, so there’s something positive about it coming up. But math makes me a little… anxious.”
Version Six:
Lani Salder

Currently in conception

A wild recipe appeared!

CoreyImperia
Member Avatar
Chanel #7
[ * ]
Lani smiled at Nate’s response. She could see that her words had a positive effect on him, which made her feel a lot better in turn. She was glad, in a sense, to run into Nate and have him share the anxiety about the test that she felt, though not so glad that either had to do this test or go through the aforementioned anxiety, especially considering it little-to-no weight on their grades. Her point being mutual dislike births great conversation and company.

She pondered on Nate’s questioning of maths at high school for quite some time, so much so that he had already forwarded a second question. She wanted to make sure she answered this in the best possible way as well. Lani herself didn’t enjoy maths as a subject, and only continues to care about her grades in the subject because of Flannery’s insistence on college. She’d thought about it, and while Lani likes the idea of college and what it could provide, she hadn’t the slightest clue where she’d go or what she’d study.

“I ask myself the same thing sometimes,” she began, “it’s like, if you’re not going to need it for anything, why have it forced on you? I'm keen for college, like it sounds really appealing, but I doubt I'd do anything math related.”

She paused. “Mum’s really pushing the whole ‘go to college’ thing too because she went. And there's more than a bit of pressure to do really well because of it.”

This really wasn’t an exact answer to Nate’s question, but it picked up on the college thing and allowed for some further conversation. “Do you have plans for college or anything?”
Version Six:
Lani Salder

Currently in conception

A wild recipe appeared!

CoreyImperia
Member Avatar
Chanel #7
[ * ]
“It’s totally up to you Nate,” Lani began. “Ultimately, no one can force you to go if you don’t want to or don’t need to.” His mention of student debt made her laugh vivaciously. “Maybe I’ll get lucky and score a scholarship.”

Lani had no idea that Nate intended on becoming a pastor; it was a career choice that had never crossed her mind, most likely through not being religious herself, but she was so impressed with Nate because he already had an idea of his future ambitions and goals. “I think it’s really cool that you’ve got plans, even if they’re not set in stone. Me? Well, I like the idea of college like I said, but like, I’ve no clue what any of it will amount to, if anything I guess.” Her shrug and composure seemed to mimic that of Nate’s when he became self-deprecating, not out of mockery, but now because she was the one feeling insecure.

Before she’d realised it, Joshua had arrived. Lani had been enjoying her conversation with Nate deeply, as she always did. “Joshua! Thank you for meeting me here. Don’t mention it at all. I’ve had excellent company, and was here a lot earlier than necessary!” She nearly completely forgot about her baking until she glanced over to the window. “By the way, mum and I made these for you. They’re made from citrus—and no lactose or nuts involved whatsoever.”

Suddenly, a seemingly strange senior approached the group, stating her name before retreating to a nearby table. Strange in this sense because Lani saw the approach as strange. She was all for meeting new people and improving her relations with other members of the student body, but felt awkward that Jane didn’t ask for her name back, or say anything else for that matter really. Conclusively, Lani shrugged the interaction off, guessing that Jane would return if she needed something or wanted to speak to any of them.

Another brief interaction closely followed; it was a wave from Lani’s friend and fellow avid gardener Ty! She returned a smile and waved excitably as she began to remember the last time she visited the store: to buy the zinnia she was currently wearing in her hair.

Lani could feel Nate’s worries about intrusion returning with his closing comment, despite Lani’s initial assurance. “I’m totally okay with you staying Nate! I mean… if that’d be okay with Joshua, of course?” She was trying not show it too much, but she probably wanted Nate to stay as much as he was hoping to stay.
Version Six:
Lani Salder

Currently in conception

A wild recipe appeared!

CoreyImperia
Member Avatar
Chanel #7
[ * ]
“Please, Joshua!” Lani began. “I’m sure you won by a landslide!”

She admired the kind of person that Joshua was. He came across as so calm and well put together; he was another strong role model for the student body. Kind was probably a fantastic descriptor. All these attributes made spending time with him in this kind of environment all the more enjoyable.

Lani was pleased that Joshua had let Nate stay. She enjoyed his company too; he seemed so much more earthed than half the school, and had comparability to her as well. She knew the studying would help Nate feel much more confident about the test, and he looked like he could do with a morale boost of some sort.

“I’m glad they taste good!” Lani mentioned as a giggle protruded from her lips. Her prayers had clearly been answered: she’d burnt far too many lemons than she would care to admit trying to get the batch as perfect as she possibly could. Without Flannery’s help, her persistence might well have been futile. Joshua had even offered her a taste of the creation, however she decided to decline, moving her hand in a dismissive wave. “So sweet of you Joshua, but I’m fine for the time being. You go ahead!”

Nate’s increased volume on his call out to Jane gave Lani a little bit of a jump. She wasn’t expecting it, that’s for sure, and hoped simply that a librarian wouldn’t heed the resounding voice. “Um. I’m fine; again, up to Joshua; he’s the tutor after all.” Trying to sound sensible, non-deflective, and of course, actually fine. The girl approached them, with a reintroduction Lani thought largely unnecessary. Maybe she had just felt the need to mention it twice? Lani smiled, coercing her wandering mind back into uniform.

“Hello Jane,” Lani started; she really didn’t know much about Jane, and from the initial interaction, she felt quite awkward—being around new and unfamiliar faces did that to her—but she hid it as best she could, to not make Jane well out of place. That would be worse. “My name is Lani.” She stated, continuing on. “It looks as though you know Nate already, and this is Joshua, my junior math tutor.”

Could she get one? Lani was taken a back briefly—it wasn’t the way she would go around asking for food that looks as though it were made out of special occasion. Again, Lani was being wrongfully judgmental; fair trial and all that? She shook it off. She wouldn’t hand Jane one herself, as there were of course not hers to give.

“My mum and I made them for Joshua; he’s really been helping me and my grades. They’ve actually jumped nearly a full letter grade!” The uneasiness returned. She didn’t really want to continue speaking, and while forcing the decision on or address of her question onto Joshua wasn’t a choice she wanted to make, she told herself it made more sense for him to be the one to respond.
Version Six:
Lani Salder

Currently in conception

A wild recipe appeared!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Beale Library · Next Topic »
Add Reply