Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TvTropes Mafia Fallout Thread; Your Mileage May Vary
Topic Started: Dec 4 2015, 03:32 AM (616 Views)
VysePresident
Member Avatar
Long-winded, meticulous, & thoughtful. Mostly long-winded though.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, that's a wrap, guys. As per norm, here's the game design, actions, & QTs.

One of the things I tried to make unique about this game was to attempt giving each player a unique, small plotline to follow during the course of the game. This rapidly proved to be too ambitious, given that my original notes were lost, which included my bulletpoints, and so I mostly dropped the idea. (I am not a very good writer when I wing it from scratch.)

However, there were a few I sort of kept on track, and I will post their extra flavor shortly, connected to their Role PMs, along with the individual death flavor of everyone who was NK'd, once I finish with them. When I finish with this, I'll post to update.

In the meantime, enjoy!

PART 1: ROLES & ACTIONS

Town Role PMs

Darth Mafia Role PMs

Sugar Mafia Role PMs

Night Actions

PART 2: Game Design & Thoughts.

TvTropes has always intrigued me as a concept. I'm not an avid troper by any stretch of the imagination, but for all the site's flaws, I've always enjoyed understanding what makes a story work, and the idea of categorizing and analyzing tropes in a relatively informal setting is an idea that appeals to me. Tropes can't really make a story on their own, but when used well, they can form the foundation of a strong story.

This was something I tried to convey through the flavor, based around the idea of the tropes all being Town, while various problem cases were used to form the Mafia. To be honest, I feel it was rather lacking in practice. I was hoping for a coherent, large picture to build to with the flavorr, supported by each of the individuals flavors. As it was, I feel that it was okay, but I could have done so much more with it. Again, I highly regret losing my notes.

This view of TvTropes also influenced my choice to make this game a Role Madness game. Each role had the ability to influence the game, but it required at least some degree of strategy.

Town was geared towards limited roles that required some degree of strategy and timing to pull off, such as Flare's 1-shot Redirect. (Which, if used appropriately, had the potential to redirect a scum kill to murder scum) Likewise, Town was given a few 'core', reliable roles to balance the game out. Initially, I wasn't going to give Town a Cop - it was very nearly a Darth Mafia role, in fact. In the end, I decided that Town needed the handicap, much as I enjoy the idea of screwing over people trusting claims over play.

The CPR Doctor was a fun one to watch. Frogue made a great call on murdering Doc early, and the play behind it did a lot to make up for my favorite role of the game exiting so early. Imehal was sending her actions in using full in-character flavor, which was a really nice touch. Penguin & Turtle used the QT very much to their advantage, which kept the game interesting, and they were so very close to solving the game before both were murdered in quick succession.

Likewise, scum were given a great deal of power, and a few handicaps to force them to use it carefully, the most obvious being the fact that kills canceled each other out. The other was my tiebreaker rules, which were supposed to force scum to hunt each other, to keep them from immediately wrecking Town.

Darth Mafia was probably my favorite to design, and was based heavily around the idea of encouraging strong Day play. The combination of the Bookie and the Encryptor was an obvious strong point, while the 2xBP Ascetic was given to balance out the fact that Darth Mafia was short one member from Sugar. This player could only be killed via a lynch, or, as it turned out, incredible stubborness on the part of Sugar Mafia.

I was particularly excited to see MurderWeasel finally draw full daychat after a few conversations we had, and am rather disappointed that the topic was so inactive that Sugar Mafia had more posts until shortly before Decoy died.

Meanwhile, Sugar was given more players, and somewhat weaker roles. The JK was quite possibly the strongest role they were given, and it would necessarily force a member to choose between using their PR, RBing a player, or keeping a member safe. The Neighborizor was limited to prevent them from achieving Daychat, although I should probably have informed Slam directly that his limitation would be revealed upon a flip, because that could have hurt Sugar hard. It's a role that, while weak in and of itself, offered Slam the opportunity to influence the game, which fit very much in line with my goals for the game.

In terms of the technical stuff, I allowed two prods on the theory that prodding a player would hopefully scare them into being active without requiring something as drastic as a modkill. (And to be honest, I did not expect any replacements in a game this large.) This failed in practice, and while it technically helped balance the game out, I was more than a little frustrated at needing to modkill two players for inactivity. In the future, I'm going to trend towards being very much stricter, because I feel like letting people off the hook as much as I did served to screw over all the players involved, and was a major factor in Decoy escaping the first lynch wagon on him.

I would also nerf the Town, because, to be honest, for all that our Towns suffer due to players signing up, and giving up midgame, if Town had played moderately optimally, outside of a few highlights, I feel that it would have been extremely Townsided. There's a very good chance that the game would have been unwinnable for scum, if Town hadn't received those two modkills near the end.

As much as it may make some wince, I feel that Darth Mafia ought to have had access to a one-shot Vanillize - perhaps connected to Murder's role.

I'm fine with how Sugar turned out, and all the players involved did fairly well too. It was more a standard, night-action based Mafia, with a few twists to keep things exciting. I enjoyed Slam using the Neighborhood QT, even if it was always a little dead, while Ricky played his usual game to it's full effect. RC was very much a learning experience for me, because there's a very good chance I'd have skipped over him had I been playing.

All in all, despite a number of down points & minor mistakes, I'm fairly happy with how this game played out, and I hope you all had fun. To be honest, I was half-sure that Espi would take his results to mean Goose was Darth Mafia, and was mildly excited to see it play out as it should.

My next game will likely run towards being somewhat smaller, and hopefully do more to encourage activity. (I'm also going to enjoy the opportunity to snark in the flavor in the friendliest way possible. :P )

PART 3: QTs

Mod Thread
Mason QT
Darth Mafia QT
Sugar Mafia QT
Neighborhood QT
DeadChat
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!

Character #1: Boy #37 Ian Williams - Now with 55% less self-insert.
Designated Weapon: Polaroid Instant Camera With Film (Enough for 8 photographs)

Past - | 1 | 2 | (Current thread - Birds of a Feather)
Pregame - None
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (Final Thread - Glass
)
Character #2: Boy #66 Chase Rodriguez - Adopted from Pippin.
Designated Weapon: Silver Pill Box Containing Three Cyanide Capsules

Past - None
Pregame - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (Last seen in - Diversions)
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (Final Thread - Drawing to an End)

(Relationships Planning Thread #Pi)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VysePresident
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I also want to add that Decoy's PM was both extremely amusing and painful to write, in equal measure.
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!

Pregame - None
)

Past - None

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well at the very least my strategy of being purposely middle of the road got me to the F3 phase.

More thoughts to come later.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image

VysePresident
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I see Goose looking through the thread, and am suddenly nervous that I missed a typo.

Pregame - None
)

Past - None

General Goose
Member Avatar
Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How did I make it to the end, my play sucked
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Also you forgot my actions ;)
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image

VysePresident
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Your crying did not move me very much, Yugi. :P

Also, I just want to say, part of me really wants to seem some of the roles here get a bit more play than they got this game, such as the Bookie.

The Ascetic is also a fun alternative to Godfather, in my opinion.

Pregame - None
)

Past - None

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I would stick with a Godfather over an Ascetic, personally. Tobe was essentially invincible in the night phase, especially with the double bulletproof, and we all know you can't lynch Toben.
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

Primrosette
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually thought you were town, Slam. Well played, sir. Well played. :D
Their Time Is gone

Spoiler: click to toggle

V7

In The Future
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the game, Vyse! Selfishly glad town pulled through of course.

Phone posting, so just some initial thoughts right now after reading through the QTs I didn't have during the game. And I already posted a lot of thoughts in the dead QT.

First, amused as hell that both sides thought I was scum at least part of the game and no one thought that Maddie and I were town linked at all. Everyone just believed that we were that sloppy as scum? :amused: I was petrified we were being super obvious, but I guess not.

We were definitely killed at the right time though; I was getting suspicious of MW for being the only non-known-town vote off the Lore wagon, and Maddie had Slam in her sights after the mailman gambit. (Also, I addressed this in the dead thread, but a repeating argument that dominates the game for more than a page without changing hurts town, hence not engaging with Slam after answering his questions as much as we could)

Scum played well this game, they just botched things near the end. Town did all right, and seeing some things in actions/QTs explains a lot more. Which leads me to...

...a place where I'll try not to be a complete hypocrite, having had some of the worst neighbor play in Mafia history a couple years ago (that ultimately landed me my almost-fiancé, but still). Slam played that neighborhood. He had both his recruits spilling their role PMs, letting him massively unfluence their night actions, and even their day play. It explains things like why Espi spilled his tracker info at the worst possible time, but still. Well done, Slam.

Town had a lot of power here, and I think it's fairly balanced; I think Toben put it best in the dead QT when he said he had the lion's share of his team's power. And the BP part was the real issue in multiball. If that role hadn't gone to such a high priority target, he likely never would have been killable. Sugar was reasonably evenly distributed. I disagree with posting role cop results in the scum QT before their recipient is alive at the next communication opportunity, but that's minor.

Interested to hear other's thoughts.

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think this mafia is the testament to the good old "everyone on SOTF is bad at mafia" bit of wisdom.

Town was inactive and no lynched multiple times when we totally shouldn't have, sugar mafia hard bussed when they could have avoided doing so, darth mafia really messed up at the end there when you guys got greedy over a Flare lynch...

In all honesty I think the best outcome would have been a three way draw and everyone dead, but that's just me. :p

Other than that, Penguin pretty much nailed any other things I had to say.
Turtle's Signature

penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Forgot to say I had a blast masoning with Maddie! Her reads were far better than mine, and it was fun having a conftown to scheme with in all the chaos.

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
penguin_alien
Dec 4 2015, 08:40 AM
Forgot to say I had a blast masoning with Maddie! Her reads were far better than mine, and it was fun having a conftown to scheme with in all the chaos.
Same to you too! :3
Turtle's Signature

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
It was fun playing there, though I get frustrated easily with these types of games. And Slam had me completely tricked in the game, I was convinced that he was town, well played good sir!

Apologies for the forced modkill towards the end, stuff was getting busy over here and I figured I had enough to last the round to get stuff finished, but I fucked up. Sorry about that ^_^;. Also do those who get modkilled not get sent deadchat?

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
aaaaaaa I did the thing where I didn't suck at mafiaaaaaa

In all seriousness though, great game everyone! SLAM I WILL HAVE REVENGE FOR THIS DECEPTION
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply