Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I wanna be king of the pirates!; Yes. Seriously.
Topic Started: Aug 10 2015, 11:54 PM (2,267 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So I told one of my co-workers that one could easily apply Marvel's Heroic Roleplaying system to One Piece, and now he's been bugging me to make the damn game. So, here we go!

Marvel Heroic RPG is a dice-pool system, not unlike Mage: the Awakening and the like. It's a very free-form roleplay that my college buddies and I used to lovingly refer to as a game about 'bullshitting the DM as much as possible'. I'm fine with running a Marvel (or generic superhero) campaign just as well, but my buddy wanted to see if we could get one going for One Piece.

So, yeah, here's my interest check! I'd be able to take about five players maximum, and one of them is already reserved for my co-worker.

Also post what times you think would work best for you. Right now, Monday is looking really good as I have it off and so does my co-worker. Other times might work just as well but time-zones become an issue rather quickly.

Slots:
1. Yugi
2. Gianni
3. Espi
4. Elena

Possible:

5. Slam
6. Deamon
Possibles games (in order of how likely I am to run them):

One Piece
General superpower
Marvel
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Aug 11 2015, 03:31 PM.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
me

((i'm free whenever i'm awake during the weekend, no preference for time then though I might not join the call at certain times))
Edited by Yugikun, Aug 11 2015, 12:08 AM.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
P.S.

If you haven't actually watched the show, keep in mind it is NOT required viewing to play in the game. It's just that passing familiarity with the world will help you immensely. There'll be more details to come about character creation and such once we've got enough interest.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

General Goose
Member Avatar
Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
okeydokey, I can do Mondays, and should be able to do most other days
Edited by General Goose, Aug 11 2015, 03:13 AM.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd be interested if you're up for dealing with me even more than usual :P
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So is everybody okay with Mondays?

Also how familiar are people with the One Piece world? It'll come in handy when trying to explain a few things.

Here is the system we'd be using (just download the PDF. Don't worry, you won't have to worry about rules too much, but familiarize yourself. We'll all learn as we play. Even me, I have a bit to learn)

So! Some basic things to note:

One Piece is a fantastic world with lots of oceans and, of course, looooots of piracy goin' on. Your character can be:

- From any of the four non-central oceans (North Blue, East Blue, South Blue, West Blue)

- Can look pretty wild. One Piece has some funky-looking dudes like this guy, this guy, and this girl. Some people even look kind of normal!

- Can have a wide array of abilities (which we'll fine-tune in character creation, in which I'll go 1-on-1 with you). Is your character a swordsman? A gunner? Maybe they just fight people with their bare hands. You're also a pirate crew so you'll need a practical skill like cooking, sailing, navigating, etc.

- Can be a devil fruit user. Devil fruits are rare and special treasures that, when somebody takes a bite out of one, grants them special powers until they die. No two people can have the same power, and no person can have more than one fruit power (... usually). I want to note that devil fruits are where I limit people just a little bit...

- Cannot have a logia-type devil fruit power, and cannot have a devil fruit power that appears IN CANON. You're gonna have to do some thinking and come up with something original! If you haven't seen the show, just throw a bunch of ideas at me until I accept one. By the way, logia-type fruits are the ones that turn you into a corresponding element, and would be pretty crazy to have, making the entire first half of the game a complete cinch. That's why I'm banning them (sorry, fire fruit, lightning fruit, ice fruit, etc. etc.)

- Can basically have any background you can imagine! It's a fairly free-form game, and the story effectively sums up to "You're a pirate and want to become king/queen of the pirates!" The whole point of One Piece is you're following a dream. Everybody in the show has a reason they want to reach the end of the grand line (Luffy wants to become pirate king, Zoro wants to be the best swordsman), and so should you.

I think that's about it for now, feel free to post questions and I'll try to answer.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Colour me interested on the off chance room appears.
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

Lucas Brady - Believing in the Heart of the Cards - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm good with Monday, yeah.

I watched the start of the dub when I was like 12, so I'm familiar with some of the stuff, at least in theory. *Goes off for wikia binging*
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jsyk I saw the thing in the Skype chat, ricky.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here is the general template for a character sheet. I'm leaving it here for your convenience, but you guys should note that I really want to sit down with you 1-on-1 (metaphorically, of course) to make your characters with you. Character creation is rather freeform and there's no real direct rules for it, because in Marvel you're supposed to use pre-sets and play as actual superheroes rather than make your own. Obviously, it's more fun to make your own characters.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
By the way, this is a handy resource for you guys to check out when thinking about what should go into your sheets!

Some random Marvel datafiles
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll be an understudy since this sounds awesome.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So my party ended up being... pretty huge.

Here's the much-needed recap for what has happened thus far in the story!

Our, uh... our... random collective of people all enter the town of Roguetown around the same time. Roguetown is a port city in East Blue (often considered the 'weakest sea' in the world for some reason) and it is also the city that is closest to Reverse Mountain, the waterway that allows access to the Grand Line. The Grand Line, of course, is a fantastic sea that encircles the entire globe and is full of grand adventure and ohmigosh mom can I go?

Our lovable cast of rogues:

Camille Villeneuve (played by Namira): A gadgeteer and markswoman, Camille is a genius with a rifle and passable with a boat. She has a fairly witty attitude and a long-standing friendship with Rush, with whom she shares custody of their... 'ship', the Rustbucket.

Rush (played by Deamon): Rush is pretty ambiguous. Boy? Girl? Both or neither? Nobody's really sure except maybe Camille. Rush is the other custodian of the Rustbucket, and also happens to be lazy as all get-out. They're pretty handy with those weird arm/shin-blade things, though.

Payne Lidell (played by Espi): A former marine who defected for still-unknown reasons. Payne ate the Tsuya-Tsuya no mi, which allows her to create and manipulate mirrors. She tends to stay quiet and is more reactive than proactive, which plays to her fruit fairly well.

Neruka aka 'Sandrine Geiger' (played by Gianni): An abrasive woman who was betrayed at some point in her past. Neruka is quick to bite back against any aggression but strangely affectionate towards strangers. She fights with a grappling hook and has a tendency to get grabby with enemies' weapons.

Guido (played by Slam): Aspiring chef and ladies' man, Guido ate the Skunku Skunku no mi which... lets him turn into a skunk. It's not a very appetizing power but he tries to make good use of it, defending the honor of anybody he deems worth his time. Again, usually ladies. Also he makes food, sometimes out of nowhere.

Amon (played by Nick, my co-worker): Seemingly a wayward traveler with the explicit intention of starting his own pirate crew, Amon ate the Ikioi-Ikioi no mi, which seems to grant him some control over the momentum of objects as well as himself. Amon is direct and simple in his actions, preferring to speak his mind, and tends to be the 'leap before you look' sort.

Salazar Stephenson (played by Yugi): A vagrant who was rescued when he washed ashore, Salazar ate the Mushi-Mushi no mi, model: Kumo, which lets him transform into a spider. Not much about him has been revealed to date, other than he has keen senses and is quick to warn others about trouble. Also into bondage, llllllladies.

(Summary to come)
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So everybody arrives in Roguetown, but none of them quite know each other with the notable exception of Rush and Camille. They derp around for a while, get some news about the New World, avoid some marines and they all find their way into a bar.

Unfortunately for them, it's a bar in a tabletop RPG, so something is bound to go horribly wrong. So, naturally, the bar is beset by a gang of thugs calling themselves pirates, and they're led by a man named 'Black Ring Sam', a relative no-name with a 3 million beri bounty on his head (for reference, the first major antagonist in One Piece had a bounty of 15 million, and he was something of a pushover). Naturally, Black Ring Sam picks a fight with Guido, leads him outside...

And... kinda wipes the floor with Guido.

It takes Guido, Rush and Amon all landing shots on the nothing-rookie before he goes down, and then marines start investigating so... yeah, that kinda sucks. Turns out the captain who's been placed in charge of Roguetown is a large, heavy-set man named Captain Toji (yes, he is lovingly named after our cat). Toji seems nice enough but starts asking too many questions, and the members of the party slip away one-by-one (Camille and Rush are out of there before he even gets his fat ass in the bar).

Later, by the docks, Toji chases after Payne, Guido and Amon trying to get answers from them, and they book it to the beach where Camille and Rush are. Toji shows off the fact that he's eaten a devil fruit as well but fortunately, everybody evades his grasp. Neruka was apparently living in a cave on the beach and saw her chance to get off the island, so she took it.

Too bad nobody asked Camille and Rush if they could use the boat, because they aren't keen on having extra passengers.

The ship, full of bickering crew, gets nearer to Reverse Mountain when the marine ship approaches, headed by Captain Toji (seeing as they all resisted arrest). They manage to repel his attacks and escape up Reverse Mountain (literally an upward flow of water like a reverse waterfall), then back down it into the Grand Line.

They met an old fart named Crocus and his pet whale Laboon, and he handed them some washed-up person who he had saved from drowning. This person turned out to be a man named Salazar who... tried to enter the Grand Line via rowboat? That's his story and he's sticking to it. The 'crew' took Salazar and made their way to the first real island in the Grand Line, Cactus Island, and the 'welcome city' of Whiskey Peak.

(to be continued)
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Roleplaying · Next Topic »
Add Reply