Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Super Dangan Ronpa 2 Mafia Fallout Thread; thank god
Topic Started: Jul 28 2015, 04:57 AM (775 Views)
Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is more a placeholder than anything else, but feel free to talk about the game here. Role PMs + my fuckups will be here later.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
After how this game went I'm not sure I ever want to play Mafia again.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Give a normal game a shot.

I've already given Yugi input about where I thought the game went awry, which was... lots of places. I'd kinda like to see exactly what happened each night. Could salvage this mess for me, could confirm all my worst suspicions and fears.

I would have been happier if I stayed alive for another day or so, maybe pressed the advantage against Unpy, but Vyse made it all work out in the end. Either way, our performances fooled everybody else so...

Yay. Chalk up another win for me under an exceedingly difficult win condition.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, this game went pretty much as I expected there at the end. I feel like we would have been looking at a very different game if one of two things had happened: 1) Less inactivity. Scum shaved a whole day off their win condition just through inactive kills. 2) Forcing Vyse's full claim. I have a pretty good feeling that if Vyse claimed JOAT, as planned to, that would have been near instant death. Ime already claimed JOAT during her lynch push and TBH never counter-claimed, so that claim coming from his spot would look suspicious as all hell.

The ending really highlights the concerns I've expressed in deadchat about Cops. Once a Cop is revealed, the game basically becomes "Follow the Cop," and the town either protects the cop and receives correct results and wins, or the cop becomes roleblocked/killed/etc. or starts providing false results for one reason or another, and then the town loses or at the very least is put at a significant disadvantage through one or more mislynches.

The use of the Traitor role was also really problematic from a game design perspective. From what Kilmarnock has described of his role conditions, it has no idea who the Mafia is, it has no kill, it is instantly outed in both alignment and role to the cop, and it actually counts for the town rather than the Mafia in numbers win conditions despite winning with the Mafia. That is the least fun role I have ever heard of. Counting it among scum for game balance is even questionable, there's just so much that can wrong there with no benefit to the scum. I'm assuming this is meant to counterbalance the fact that scum have two power roles in their three known member set-up, but the problem for me is that the scum power is all somewhat repetitive, at least from the way I understand it. It's mostly wrapped up in alignment screwiness, which makes the options for the scum-team somewhat one-note without a lot of diversity of strategy. One thing worth noting is that this is the kind of game where scum pulling a cop gambit would have been entirely possible, due to Ime's role functioning as a Role Cop of sorts. Once you've sorted out within reasonable doubt that there's no cop(which, given how many townies we had claim, would not have been difficult by that stage in the game: 6 people claim townie, only one of which claims out outlier in having flavor, confirming the rest, plus four people who haven't claimed dead, plus three known scum members, plus three nights of power usage, equals 15 members of the game completely sorted and one extra who has claimed but does not fit into the other claims. At that point, you're fairly close to guaranteeing there's no cop as well as holding pretty much the entire game in your hand), a cop gambit for the win would be fairly easy.

I don't mean to imply that scum was in anyway underpowered, as the above example shows. Just that the balance of the game was very strange. I think it might have actually been decidedly in scum favor, but with two roles that have never been seen in SotF before being given to two players who have never played scum before, one of whom to my knowledge has never played mafia before at all, it was just too bizarre to use effectively. This game was "weird" without being overtly weird: The town roles were actually pretty standard, if underpowered since it at least seems like the only town power roles at all were Cop, Medium, and Bodyguard. That's...well below even standard levels of power, not even taking into account that scum have two power roles of their own.

Weird game. Wasn't really feeling it either time I stepped in. Shit happens though.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well that wasn't fun.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
WHY DIDN'T YOU KILL VYSE
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flavour was obnoxious, roles were confusing and arbitrary, I think week long phases are way too long, and seriously, why bring dead people back instead of getting players from outside the game?

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Aura
Member Avatar
Has seen that which cannot be unseen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flare
Jul 28 2015, 11:44 AM
WHY DIDN'T YOU KILL VYSE
Because I'm an idiot.
Posted Image

Characters

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd quite like to see dead chat. That's always fun.
Kimiko Kao - - - - - - - The Lagniappe
Travis "Trav" Lynch - - They Stumbled Into Faith and Thought
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Shock Me

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DuckyB
Jul 28 2015, 11:16 AM
The use of the Traitor role was also really problematic from a game design perspective. From what Kilmarnock has described of his role conditions, it has no idea who the Mafia is, it has no kill, it is instantly outed in both alignment and role to the cop, and it actually counts for the town rather than the Mafia in numbers win conditions despite winning with the Mafia.
I'm 95% sure that the role was either incorrectly explained, oddly implemented, or a misdirection by Ricky. Typical traitor is just a scum member who's detached from the normal crew, which is a bit of a power damper but has pretty clear play and win conditions.

My thoughts to follow when I'm not in a rush! There were some pieces of game design that were really good IMO, some that had issues, and some that I'll need the role setup to know for sure.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MurderWeasel
Jul 28 2015, 12:53 PM
DuckyB
Jul 28 2015, 11:16 AM
The use of the Traitor role was also really problematic from a game design perspective. From what Kilmarnock has described of his role conditions, it has no idea who the Mafia is, it has no kill, it is instantly outed in both alignment and role to the cop, and it actually counts for the town rather than the Mafia in numbers win conditions despite winning with the Mafia.
I'm 95% sure that the role was either incorrectly explained, oddly implemented, or a misdirection by Ricky. Typical traitor is just a scum member who's detached from the normal crew, which is a bit of a power damper but has pretty clear play and win conditions.

My thoughts to follow when I'm not in a rush! There were some pieces of game design that were really good IMO, some that had issues, and some that I'll need the role setup to know for sure.
I'm aware of how it's typically played, I'm just going off of how he described it in Deadchat.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

VysePresident
Member Avatar
Long-winded, meticulous, & thoughtful. Mostly long-winded though.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, first off, here's the Scumchat & the Deadthread

Thoughts to follow shortly. There were definitely some awkward moments & major balance issues, but there was some good stuff in here too, I feel.
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!

Character #1: Boy #37 Ian Williams - Now with 55% less self-insert.
Designated Weapon: Polaroid Instant Camera With Film (Enough for 8 photographs)

Past - | 1 | 2 | (Current thread - Birds of a Feather)
Pregame - None
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (Final Thread - Glass
)
Character #2: Boy #66 Chase Rodriguez - Adopted from Pippin.
Designated Weapon: Silver Pill Box Containing Three Cyanide Capsules

Past - None
Pregame - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (Last seen in - Diversions)
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (Final Thread - Drawing to an End)

(Relationships Planning Thread #Pi)

VysePresident
Member Avatar
Long-winded, meticulous, & thoughtful. Mostly long-winded though.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
Jul 28 2015, 05:08 AM
After how this game went I'm not sure I ever want to play Mafia again.
This was an awkward game in many respects, pal. While there was some interesting stuff, ultimately, there wasn't a lot of synergy between roles, leading to a massive imbalance in favor of scum, and general confusion. (Though I think Town could have easily avoided some of the worse effects by not sitting around chatting about the Green-scum flavored kill for three days when all we could do was shrug our shoulders & put a pin in it.)

I recommend trying again. The reason I was on you so hard was because you were doing some things I've seen scum do before, when trying to appear super Townie - I think, with a bit of practice, you could get the hang of the game & be really, really good at it. Give it a simpler, more balanced game, and I think you'll do well.
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!

Character #1: Boy #37 Ian Williams - Now with 55% less self-insert.
Designated Weapon: Polaroid Instant Camera With Film (Enough for 8 photographs)

Past - | 1 | 2 | (Current thread - Birds of a Feather)
Pregame - None
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (Final Thread - Glass
)
Character #2: Boy #66 Chase Rodriguez - Adopted from Pippin.
Designated Weapon: Silver Pill Box Containing Three Cyanide Capsules

Past - None
Pregame - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (Last seen in - Diversions)
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (Final Thread - Drawing to an End)

(Relationships Planning Thread #Pi)

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That has nothing to do with my lack of desire to ever play again. That's due to a combination of the sheer incompetence of this game, and a bunch of bad shit happening IRL at the same time. Quite honestly the impression I've been left with is Mafia simply isn't fun.
Edited by The Burned Handler, Jul 28 2015, 02:13 PM.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

TwelveFourtyFive
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I feel bad for going inactive and my inactive kill being responsible for the town loss :C

I liked the fluff announcements, as they were entertaining, although I've never played Dangan Ronpa. Though some stuff was confusing and the dead player replacing active player thing seems a bit weird for me, because it made it harder to read. But in the end it turned out well.

Also, next time I should post more >.<

I told myself "I'm gonna post tomorrow" and then a lynch was decided. Sorry :c

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply