Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
There's No Time Here in Space; Open
Topic Started: Jul 24 2015, 09:45 PM (1,293 Views)
Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Ben Fields, continued from Night Shift))

He had done the shopping for today. The bank balances were in order, he had a bag full of mild things in his right hand, such as textbooks for himself and his sister, a book for his mother, and some flowers for his father's vase. Today happened to be discount day at some of the stores that he normally went to, and he had a considerable amount of money left over from the trip. At first, he figured that he'd just keep it wherever he put it and save up for something useful. He wasn't sure what he'd buy with it, though. He didn't really have a lot of things that he bought for leisure. Maybe he'd save up until he had $20 and he'd buy a movie for the family to watch; it had been a while since they had last done that.

But then he walked past the Diamondback Ice Cream Parlor and saw two of his underclassmen inside and he figured that fuck it, he was going to reward himself.

The Diamondback had been a place that he had visited regularly before his dad died; every Friday after school they'd both come here (sometimes with Lana) and they'd have a big bowl between each the two of them. That was one of the nice things back then. Sure, it wouldn't have lasted that long if things were different, but it was a thing to think about, something nostalgic that placed itself on his mind as he went up to the counter, ordering cookies and cream ice cream. That was a new flavour, that hadn't been there last time he was here. The place hadn't changed much, it looked a little bit cleaner, the tables were in different places, but it was still the place that he remembered. He wasn't sure how grateful he was for that, though. Sure, it brought back good memories, but it brought back bad ones, as well. Memories that he'd rather not think about at the moment.

So when he got his cone of cookies and cream ice cream (ooh, he could call that cookies and ice cream, would be much easier on him) he went to the table in which the two other students were sitting. He could recognise them, kinda. The boy was Henry; apparently he was a bit of an oddball. He hadn't had to be with him before so he had only heard the stories secondhand, but according to some of his friends who had classes with him he acted really weirdly and could have Aspergers, not something that Ben really liked but could deal with. The girl was Audrey Reyes. She was from the Philippines, didn't look half bad. She was also in the drama club, and was like an amateur filmmaker or something. They hadn't talked much but they were probably on good terms, so he decided to place his shopping bag besides a chair between the two.

"You mind if I sit here?"
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The two allowed him to sit down, so he did. Audrey had a bit of trouble remembering his name, but she got it right in the end, so that was okay. He was surprised at how many times it took for to remember his name, though. Sure, he wasn't one of the popular kids, but considering that they were both in the Drama club, he figured that she'd at least get his name right on the first try. "Yeah, baseball." She seemed a little bit awkward with his presence, but that didn't bother him too much. Henry did seem to be as eccentric as people were saying, so far. He didn't seem to be too bad though. This company seemed okay, so he relaxed his muscles a little bit. He bent down a little, and pulled the bag a little closer to him.

Henry's comment made him notice that he and Audrey both had cookies and ice cream. Huh, that was a coincidence.

Audrey asked him a further question, about why he was here. He didn't want to unload everything from the start, but he decided to tell the truth, even if it wasn't the whole of it. He grabbed the bag and held it up. "I was shopping for a couple extra things, textbooks, flowers. When I was walking back home I saw this place and you guys and I figured that I'd come in as well. I used to come here with my dad and my sister so I figured that a trip down memory lane wouldn't hurt that much."

He shrugged. "How about you?"
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The reactions of the other two were more of the same, for the most part. Henry was acting a little bit airy and quirky, and got brain freeze from eating his ice cream too fast. Ouch, that was annoying; when he came here with his dad he rarely got brain freeze, probably because he was trying to savour the taste of it and ate it slowly. "...You okay there?" It had been a while since he had last had ice cream and he didn't know what the feeling of brain freeze was like, so he may as well ask him about it.

Audrey mentioned that she was filming stuff, which wasn't a surprise. She was interested in being a director, right? Well, even if he didn't have much of an idea about that that seemed right to him. She also nudged him with her elbow, in a friendly way, asking about the ice cream. He didn't quite understand what she was doing. Was she flirting with him? Still, it was rude not to reapond so...

"Yeah, cookies and cream, I guess."
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, so yeah, it was official. Ben Fields was eating ice cream with two crazy people. Henry recovered from his brain freeze, but it seemed clear that he got brain damage or something from it since he was suddenly babbling random scientific shit at them. The rumors seemed to be correct, he was super weird and could have something potentially wrong with his head. Whatever, he had dealt with worse and at least he could elicit a legitimate chuckle from Henry’s antics.

Audrey was saner, but she kept putting her attention on him and it seemed a little weird. She was probably flirting with him. It had happened before but he still didn’t really know how to go about it. He’d say that he was fairly good looking, he kept himself clean and he made sure that his clothes matched and all, but he wouldn’t call himself beautiful, at least in comparison to the people in the baseball court.

So yeah, it wasn’t really something he knew how to deal with, that was a problem. His cheeks were probably starting to turn pink right now. Maybe next time he could see him he’d ask Cris what to do when that happened. He had Irene falling over his feet during practice, maybe he’d know a thing or two.

Still, she asked him a question. What did he do for fun?

“I don’t do a lot of things for fun anymore, being the man of the house. There’s baseball, but that’s it.”

The man of the house, that was a good way to put it. He’d been that since he was nine years old. Hopefully they wouldn’t ask about it though. Not a lot of people really knew about his home life, and he wanted to keep it that way. He didn’t really want people to feel sorry for him.
Edited by Yugikun, Aug 27 2015, 09:38 PM.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Annnnnnd Audrey asked him to go further than what he said. This was going to get awkward. Not many people knew that he had a dead dad, and that was probably for the best. If he said it out loud it’d become a real conversation killer, he knew that from experience. It was normally best that he didn’t talk about it at all until he was specifically questioned about it, so if she asked further he supposed that he’d just say it straight out. It’d probably make the whole thing uncomfortable but it was for the best, maybe.

Luckily for him, Audrey decided to drop the topic and say that baseball was pretty cool. Which it was, but the more important thing was that she decided to drop it. Henry went on about the two making a baseball movie - not the most original idea for a movie and there was so much you could do with an overdone concept - which ended in…

Wait.

What?

Yeah… Ben knew that this had been confirmed multiple times before but there was definately something up with this kid. Probably not a mental condition though, he just seemed to like horror movies a lot. He mentioned Unfriended, something that he had heard of before. When first reading it he thought the concept was gay as fuck but apparently it had gotten good reviews so maybe it was worth watching. He decided that he was going to ask Henry about it.

“A literally killer movie?”

Okay, probably not the best thing to say if he wanted to learn about the movie, but maybe he could make the conversation go where Ben wanted it to go, rather than have him talk about his dad.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
More movie talk happened. Henry went on about the movie. Yep, the premise was still gay as fuck. It was still apparently pretty good, so again, he was probably going to watch it at some point. He also mentioned the Babadook, which he hadn’t heard of. It was probably good though, Henry seemed to actually have good enough taste, or at least taste that the critics agreed with. Maybe he’d figure out what it’s about when he got back home, or something.

And then Audrey just kinda went crazy and decided that she wanted to make a movie with Henry… Okay? That was a little sudden. He knew that she was kinda energetic but not to that extent. He just sat back at this point, having a little bit more of his cookies and ice cream. Yum.

And then she noticed him. Awkwardddddddd. Well, not really. Ben didn’t really care, but Audrey was making a big deal out of it. Probably a good idea for him to speak up.

“Oh no, it’s fine. I’d totally be cool with playing the slasher movie monster, though.” He grinned a little bit, kinda exaggerated, kinda legitimate.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And then Henry left. That was sudden. It was a little weird, too. He kinda just stood up, started talking about an English assessment he had and then left out of nowhere. Not before he gave Audrey his phone number though. He chuckled.

“Hey, he gave you his phone number. He’s a keeper.” Okay, that probably wasn’t the best way to say it, especially to someone he just met, but eh, whatever. Didn’t really matter. He only really met her by chance so he doubted that he’d meet her again unless he seeked her out. Come to think of it, how long had he been in here? It was at least a couple of minutes.

And as much as he wanted to stay in Memory Lane, wow he wasted time in here and he needed to go home.

“And on that note, turns out that I’m going to be late going home.” He picked up the shopping bags, thankfully without anything in there being damaged. “Sorry.”

He stood up. “See you at Drama, I guess.”

He made sure to wave to her on the way out, at least.

((Ben Fields continued in Prize FIghter))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Diamondback Ice Cream Parlor · Next Topic »
Add Reply