Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
There's No Time Here in Space; Open
Topic Started: Jul 24 2015, 09:45 PM (1,297 Views)
Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Henry Spencer continued from Having Fun Isn't Hard))

Aliens probably existed.

Maybe not like, ET Phone Home aliens, or War of the World aliens, or any other pop culture aliens. They'd probably be crazy-weird, since even if they evolved in earthlike conditions they'd likely have totally different structures than Earthlings. After all, if you give two people a problem, they'd likely solve it in different ways. Thus, two different planets, two different ways of surviving. And that wasn't even factoring in different extinction events and other uncontrolled changes!

That's how one of his conspiracy theorist friends explained it, anyway. Henry could get behind that. Though, to be honest he wasn't as behind the whole, "government covering up alien arrivals for XYZ reasons" thing that said friend usually segued into. Like, those were fun to hear about? But Henry figured the government would tell them, hopefully.

That was sort of the point, though, was that they didn't. Hmm, Henry figured the politicians were better than that. And if not, they probably would've slipped up at some point. So if aliens somehow got to Earth, Henry liked to think they'd have found out already. Plus, aliens probably existed, but they probably weren't capable of faster than light travel yet. So they'd be too far away to get here anytime soon.

So long story short, government=good, aliens=real, theories=fun but kind of cynical. Now, where was he? Oh, right, ordering ice cream. Which reminded him, didn't people once claim an alien captured by the government enjoy strawberry ice cream according to that one broadcast in the 1980s? That was kind of neat. Maybe strawberries came from outer space! Then again-

"Hey kid, are you going to order?" Oh, right. Ice cream line, impatient service person. Poor guy, selling ice cream but not being allowed to eat any. Henry should probably be nice to him. "Sorry, I'll have a...let's make it a strawberry cone, medium." After paying, Henry sat down at a nearby table out of the bright sun. It was still a touch brisk out, but it was warming up fast, and Henry was a little warm under his jacket. So ice cream was a welcome treat.
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yes, I am!"

Henry was pleasantly surprised to find a companion to eat ice cream with. Audrey was someone he sort of recognized too! She was in one of his classes, or had been at some point. Yeah, he definitely knew her from something. She seemed nice, he'd never had a problem with her, so a conversation seemed like a fun time. After all, it was fun to make friends with new people!

"Nice to meet'cha Audrey!" Henry said, grinning. He extended his left hand, the one not holding an ice cream cone because it'd be awkward to shake hands while holding an ice cream.

Still smiling, Henry asked, "What kind of ice cream do you have there? Oh, and what's your opinion on aliens?"

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Henry liked this girl; she seemed nice, and she was willing to talk to him with enthusiasm about things, which Henry loved. If you weren't enthusiastic about stuff, what were you doing with your time? That seemed like an awfully boring way to go about your life, not having enthusiasm. Enthusiasm! It was a fun word to think enthusiastically.

"No big deal, easy mistake. I liked that movie, but the first one was scarier, which was cool. I like scary things, you know? They get the blood pumping!" Henry laughed. "Oh, but if you don't that's totally cool, I get it. It was still a good movie." He smiled. "But yeah, when we find the real aliens that'll be really cool. That wasn't a pun, by the way."

Suddenly, a new person arrived! "Oh, sure! More the merrier!" Henry said to the new person. He'd seen this person before, at school probably. A senior? Mayhaps. Curious, yet lest thou art...where was he going with that again? Whatever, old-timey speech was cool buuut now was a bad time for it.

"Nice to meet ya! I take it you two are ice cream buddies?" Henry said in jest, since they were both eating cookies 'n cream. Also because he wanted to jest. Jest was a good word, like jester. Jesters were cool, unless they were crazy ax-killer jesters.

Then they were awesome.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This was good, nice people, good ice cream, a relatively sunny day, a distinct lack of horrible monster attacks...Well, maybe that last one wasn't so bad? If they didn't eat him, he might get to be in the news and stuff for surviving a horrible monster attack. Then again, a lot of people might die, and that'd be less good. So maybe horrible monster attacks, but like, people fight them off and become an elite squad of monster hunters with Henry as the comic relief mission command? That sounded like a plan!

Oh. Should probably pay more attention.

"...I just wanted ice cream." Henry said before taking a big bite of delicious strawberry ice cream. The rush of sweet, fruity frozen dairy products and ice was too much for him, and suddenly Henry was enveloped in a bout of...what was it called? Spereopalate Ganglionervia? Whatever, a long word also known as brain freeze!

"Ow, crud." Henry winced, blinking and wincing as his treat took vengeance on him and his mouth. Furiously licking the roof of his mouth (discretely, of course), Henry looked back up at the other two. "Oh, sorry, brain freeze." He gave a grin. All better!

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And then Henry's head exploded.

Not really, but that'd be an interesting cold open, right? Normal chatting, ice cream, then BOOM! Suddenly gorn. In reality, Henry was fine a moment later. "Yeah, just brain freeze. Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia, actually, which is the scientific name. It basically means the cold is messing up the nerves in your palate."

Henry paused, and took another mouthful of ice cream. "The most interesting part," He mumbled through the cherry yumminess, "Is the referral of pain from the constriction of blood vessels in your mouth to the cranium." Henry swallowed. "Oh, but enough crazy science-babble."

Henry smiled. Unfortunately, not everyone was as fascinated with unusual medical trivia as he was. "Cookies and cream is okay. I don't like the really sweet ice creams, personally. Like, I like dark chocolate better than milk chocolate. Oh, did you know white chocolate's not real chocolate? Strictly speaking, it has no cocoa solids, which are the things that make chocolate chocolate."

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Audrey liked Henry's trivia, which made him grin with pride. Ben was a little quiet, but he seemed nice and also looked like he thought positively of Henry's factoid. That was nice, it was nice to have people like it when you shared. Sharing is caring and such, especially given that etymologically speaking both were Germanic in origin and as such were quite close. Language!

"Ooh, you two should make a baseball movie! Like Sandlot or something." Henry exclaimed as Audrey and Ben started sharing hobbies. "I could help out...but it might end with a bat murder spree or like, possession. Just saying." Henry held his hands up in...something. Why did he do that again? He lowered them.

"Sorry, I like horror movies. Creepy stuff is fun!" He grinned sheepishly. "A horror/sports film would be pretty neat though. Definitely unique. Oh, hey, you guys seen Unfriended? That's a killer movie. Literally and metaphorically!" Unfriended had just come out not too long ago, and Henry had loved it. 2014/15 had been good for horror movies, actually.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah!" Henry exclaimed. "Uh, well...like, metaphorically because it's a great movie, you know? Like, 'this is a killer ice cream cone!'. And literally 'cause you know, people get killed. Make sense?" Henry didn't know why killer referred to good things sometimes. He ought to look that up. The etymology was interesting.

"But yeah, it's about these teens who are hanging out on Skype and then this girl who killed herself logs on. And she starts making them kill themselves because they bullied her. It's awesome." Henry paused for a moment, reminiscing about the film. It was a really neat modern take on horror/haunting movies, and he'd really enjoyed it.

"Oh, you know what else is good? Babadook. Excellent supernatural horror."

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"That would be. So. Cool."

Henry's jubilation at this proclamation was palpable. He was almost bouncing in his chair. Him? In a movie? And a horror movie at that? His excitement was like a neutrino; it was uncontainable. Then again, neutrinos were really small, and his enthusiasm for Audrey's suggestion was very large. So that simile was somewhat innacurate.

Regardless. Movie. "I'm so in for that you have no idea. Indie horror is one of my favorite subgenres." Downing the last of his ice cream cone with a gulp, Henry wiped his mouth and grinned even wider. "What if we did like, a crazy psychological thriller-type thing, with creepy noises and minimal on-screen monster stuff, like Jaws?"

Ideas for possible monsters, settings and plotlines were rushing through Henry's head so fast he could barely focus. "Ooh, or what about a demonic possession thing? Oh, oh, or-" A memory triggered in Henry's head. Uh-oh.

"Crap, I forgot I have some homework from my English class. Hey, Audrey, here." Henry grabbed a nearby napkin, plucked a pen from his jacket pocket (he always kept a few on hand just in case) and scrawled something on it. Tossing it onto the table, Henry hurried off, calling back, "Call me later and we can discuss this!"

'Henry Spencer
Ace Protagonist
(928)-222-1381
Call me =)'

((Henry Spencer continued in Hecate on Roman Halloween))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Diamondback Ice Cream Parlor · Next Topic »
Add Reply