Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
There's No Time Here in Space; Open
Topic Started: Jul 24 2015, 09:45 PM (1,292 Views)
kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
(Audrey Reyes Pregame START)

"So, we're here at the Diamondback Ice Cream Parlor with, uh... the guy who sells ice cream at the counter. How's your day so far?"

"...no? Okay, uh, what's a regular day like working here at this fine establishment?"

"Come on, man! I need footage! It's for a school project! Well, more like an extracurricular thing, but still. It's kind of a 'Life around Kingman!' sorta deal. You get what I'm saying?"

"Wow, you know, I've never noticed how many flavors of ice cream there are here. Do you get, like, an employee discount on these or something like that?"

"...I'll have the cookies and cream."

Audrey Reyes shut off her camcorder. Looks like "Life Around Kingman" was going to be a bust after all. Stupid, stupid, stupid! What was she thinking, going around filming strangers anyway? Sooner or later, someone was going to call the police or something and Audrey couldn't see how that could possibly end well. Looks like it was back to the drawing board after yet another failed expedition into the realm of "genres she knew nothing about." She'd have to cross out "documentary" from her list, placing it next to the likes of "comedy" and "drama." She sighed.

At least she still had her ice cream.

As she began to munch on her delicious, delicious cookies and cream, she pondered what her next move would be. Clearly, there had to be something worthwhile to film around Kingman... right? She looked around. It was such a dilapidated and small town, and she began to wonder whether any reasonable filming material could be had in a place like this. She missed New York. There were tons of places and stuff to film there.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted one Henry... Spencer? Spencer, right? Whatever. She'd never talked to him much (or at all, actually), but from what she'd heard of the goth-looking boy, he wasn't particularly well-liked; there were constant rumblings of "weirdo" or "so-and-so is a retard" whenever people were around him. She felt for the kid, really. She knew what it was like to be in his position, an awkward loner in a sea of trite, immature children. And if there was something that Audrey knew that awkward loners needed, it was certainly company! Friendly company, that is! And if Audrey really wanted to be a director when she graduated from college, she knew that she'd have to improve her people skills. Might as well start now!

She sat down across from him. "Hi!" she chirped up. "I've seen you around school before but I don't think I've had the chance to say hi until now! I'm Audrey. Audrey Reyes! You're Henry, right?"
Virtua-SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - The Broken Bird - "Until we find out, you're going to need me."
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks
Virtua-SOTF - M16: Patrick Reynolds - The Ingenuine - "Um, I think we're lost."
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling
SOTF V5 - Bradley Edwards - The Spare - "Call me a cynic..."
Pregame Threads: Debates and Discourse
Meanwhile Threads: Above it All
SOTF V6 - Audrey Reyes - The Dedicated - "Get the camera!"
Pregame Threads: There's No Time Here in Space
Threads: Hideaway
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
He seemed cheery! That was a good thing, probably. Unless this was like that one horror movie where the really nice, cheerful guy who was always smiling turned out to be a psychotic serial killer. And, you know, there was a lot to be said for psychological horror, but that movie turned even Aurdrey off of movies for weeks. She shuddered just thinking about it.

She was a little taken aback when he offered his left hand. Right, duh. It was his only free hand. She swapped her ice cream bowl to her right hand, clumsily holding both it and the spoon in one hand. She reached forward with her left hand and shook it, smiling brightly at the dark-haired boy. "It's nice meeting you, too, Henry!"

"Oh, uh, this is cookies and cream. It's been my favorite since, like, forever. And, uh, Aliens? I really like that movie! I think it's better than the original. James Cameron turning it from straight horror to action-horror was one of the best... and I think you were talking about actual aliens, weren't you?" Audrey did a little mental facepalm. "I think they're pretty cool. Well, they probably are - we don't really know. We haven't met any yet. They're all probably really far away, though. We're probably not going to meet any in our lifetime. Or maybe ever. Probably."

Audrey paused, her motor-mouth getting a bit ahead of her.

"So, uh, you like aliens? And space stuff?"
Virtua-SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - The Broken Bird - "Until we find out, you're going to need me."
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
"Oh no, yeah, Alien is still a classic. Ridley Scott got that one down. You know just thematically and everything, I think Aliens is..."

Audrey looked up and saw someone new approaching. He had spiky hair and black eyes, oh yeah. She knew who this was. This was, uh. Oh, that was um, what was his name?

"Hey, I know you!" she decided to say. "Sure, sure! You can sit here if Henry thinks it's fine." She paused a bit, looking at the new person for a moment. "You're... Bill? No, wait. Ben! You're Ben Fields, right? The senior? I've seen you around. You do some sorta sport. Basketball? Or was it baseball? Baseball, right?"

Audrey decided that she was acting a little too awkward. This was Mr. Ben Fields from the baseball team, who she knew absolutely nothing about. She'd maybe run into him once or twice over her time at Cochise? It seemed a bit strange to Audrey that he'd decide to hang out with two of his underclassmen who he barely knows, but she supposed that even baseball sporty people got lonely at times, too. Honestly, though, the whole spiky hair thing looked kinda cute so she didn't have much of a problem with this guy hanging out with them.

"So, Ben, what brings you to Diamondback today? Just couldn't get away from this delicious, delicious cookies and cream?" She laughed a bit, placing a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth and making a sound of delight.

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
"Well, that's nice," Audrey said sincerely to Ben. She thought she recognized him from somewhere else, but she couldn't quite place it. Did he... Oh God, he was in the drama club, wasn't he? He was one of the actors! Audrey almost slapped herself in the face in disgust. How could she have forgotten? Right, right. Let's just forget about it, alright? Audrey never paid much attention to the actors and actresses under her stead... at least the ones that didn't approach her and try to be friends. Thankfully, most of them were a friendly bunch but it was a tough time trying to get to know some of the other ones when she was usually too busy to talk - being high up on a scaffold fixing some lights or speakers can do that.

Either way, Audrey was sure to remind herself to not sweat the little things. Don't sweat it, Audrey, don't sweat it. She cleared her throat. "I was doing a sorta film club exercise thing, and so I was kinda filming around here with-" She pointed at her camera bag, which held her camcorder, "-that thing. Didn't really pan out, sadly. Turns out people don't like being filmed without consent. Who knew, right?" She sighed a bit.

Audrey guiltily laughed a bit when Henry suffered from a bit of a brain freeze. "You alright there, Henry? You should be careful when you're eating this stuff!"

She took another spoonful of her cookies and cream, another sound of delight coming from her throat. She elbowed Ben a little bit, gently. "Cookies and cream, am I right?"

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Huh, well that was pretty awesome! Audrey didn't know whether to be shocked or surprised (though, really, aren't they the same thing? The English language is still weird, she decided) at Henry's sudden outburst of scientific know-how. She grinned, leaning forward. "Wow, Henry!" she exclaimed. "Didn't know that you knew so much about brain freeze with all that science-babble!"

Audrey glanced at Ben, who she was guessing was probably thinking of bolting out of here with all the weird shit that they were both spewing out of their mouths. Suddenly, that tiny little ache of self-consciousness began seeping back into Audrey's insides. She hated it when that happened. She cleared her throat a little and adjusted her seating position so she looked as casual as possible.

She turned her attention fully to Ben, who she really knew nothing about. "So, uh, Ben! I've told you about my film aspirations." For a brief moment, Audrey consulted her mental list of "things to ask people when the conversation gets awkward." Consulting that list took a little longer than Audrey was comfortable with. "Uh, what do you do for fun, you know? Maybe we've got some things in common; we could hang out sometime or something. You seem like a pretty cool guy."

Awkward first sentence with meaningless question? Check. Invitation to go hang out later? Check. Similarly meaningless compliment? Check! Bingo! Whatever! Audrey could practically feel her mind slapping itself silly. Audrey swore her cheeks were probably beet red at that moment then.

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Audrey cocked her head.

"Man of the house? What do you mean?"

Come to think of it, it was weird how Ben had called coming to Diamondback "a trip down memory lane." Was there something that had happened in the past that irreversibly changed something? Or was she just over thinking it as usual. Audrey didn't know what to make of the statement; she shook her head. Maybe she really was just overthinking it. Ben seemed awfully tight-lipped, though, and Audrey hadn't gotten that impression from him when he was at drama club. She was pretty bad about reading people, though, and this was likely one of those situations.

Audrey hated those situations.

"Well," Audrey quipped. "Baseball sounds fun, anyway."

Henry was talking a lot about movies again, which Audrey appreciated, smiling and nodding at her newfound friend. There was definitely a shift in the atmosphere, however, though Audrey sensed that maybe she was the only one that could feel it. She shivered involuntarily for a second; that happened sometimes when she got a tingly feeling all over her body - she never really understood why. Maybe it was like a Spider Sense, an omen for what's to come. Or maybe she's just reading into things again.

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Audrey let out another laugh. There was nothing that phased Henry was there? He just went on and on talking about this movie. What a great kid, Audrey thought. Ignorant of the ways of the world and all that. Come to think of it, Henry would be the perfect main character for a movie (or short film/television series)! Or at least a member of the supporting cast! Ideas started zooming through Audrey's head and she gripped her camera bag almost in excitement. Maybe they could even make it a horror movie since Henry liked those so much? Oh, the ideas!

She sat up, energy bounding through her.

"Henry!" she shouted out at him. "I have the best idea! Let's make a movie, you and me! I'll direct and do the technical stuff and write it and do all the hard work, basically, but you'll be the star! You're going to be my big, shining star! Think about it! Henry, uh, Spencer (character name pending) as the protagonist of our own little indie horror movie!" She bounced up and down her seat, spilling a little bit of her ice cream on her shirt but she didn't seem to notice.

She suddenly looked at Ben and her expression immediately turned sullen. Her breath caught in her throat. Oh, God. She'd done it again, hadn't she? Acted weird, done something out of turn? Damn social conventions, she hated them. Suddenly, she felt a rash of self-consciousness attack her and she swallowed as if her throat had become hoarse - beginning to sweat like someone had turned on the heater during a scorching summer day.

"I mean, er, you know..." Audrey mumbled incoherently as she gazed at Henry - though taking quick looks at Ben as if subtly asking him to forgive her for the sudden weird outburst. "...if you're interested."

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
((Audrey Reyes continued elsewhere...))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Diamondback Ice Cream Parlor · Next Topic »
Add Reply