Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Just Wants A Distraction; ((OPEN to anyone))
Topic Started: Jul 20 2015, 12:05 AM (2,269 Views)
MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
(Frederick Brea continued from The First Mistake)

The library. A place that Rick had a confusing relationship with. Sometimes it was a prison he was forced into by teachers and coaches to awaiting peer tutors who tried to help him keep some knowledge from leaking out of his ears. Though if his tutors were wardens, at least they were nice for the most part and tried to help him. But that was not his reason for coming in today.

His hands twirled a pair of earphones like nunchucks as Rick meandered around the nearly deserted library. There was enough time to get in a quick episode of the anime he was following this season. And, prepared with his earphones, he wouldn't, no, couldn't, bother any one and escape the librarian's wrath.

The plan took a detour however when he heard familiar laughing from a nearby table. A bigger smile of content lifted his lips as he saw Fiyori. Among his much brighter friends who put up with his dimmer moments. He walked over to stand beside the table where Fiyori and another kid that despite his height looked smaller compared to the girl's... vibrancy? Yeah, that was probably the best way to describe it. He might've seen the latter around the water at sometime or another. Not on the water polo team, but maybe when his team practiced at the school pool?

"Hey, Fiyori." Rick waved to the girl. "Didn't think I would find you in here, how's it going?"

He also turned to boy with a wave. He would wait until Fiyori responded to see if this was a quick hi/bye or he could join in the conversation.
Edited by MrMissMrs Random, Aug 6 2015, 06:05 PM.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A
V6 Pregame: 1-2
Image Song: TV on the Radio- Wolf Like Me

Frederick "Rick" Brea- N/A
Image Song: SOHN- Artifice

Version 5
(G006) Rosemary Michaels- Butterfly Knife: "H-h-heh..."- DECEASED
V5 Game:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-6 (Return)-9-10-11-12-FINAL

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Awesome." Rick sat down at the seat next to Fiyori. He felt like he would scare the kid off if he got to close, even on accident. Once he sat down their were a few moments where he did not speak, only to realize he had not introduced himself.

"Oh, uh, I'm Rick. Rick Brea. One of Fiyori's friends," he replied to the boy, trying not to sound as awkward as he felt. "Who're you? I mean, what's your name?"

He did not look, but knew Fiyori would be judging Rick for his stammering. He sucked with introductions. It was a good thing that his family lived in such a small town where everyone knew everyone, or at least knew of them. He was surprised how there was still people around he had not talked to yet.

"I overheard you talking about swimming, and that sounds awesome. I'm in water polo myself."
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Brendan seemed nice, but kind of shy the more he talked. Maybe that's why he and Rick had never talked before.

"Nice to meet you, too. And Bernadette and Ty?" he replied, before placing them in his head. "Ahh, yeah. I know them. Not that well, though."

The two were an interesting couple, to say the least. Bern had been a dedicated bully hunter earlier on in high school, and Ty always seemed like a ticking time bomb through their interactions at school. You'd think mixing them together would've been trouble, but recently they had proved everyone wrong. At least, if someone as nervous as Brendan called them friends, there was probably even more he did not know about them. Fiyori was better friends with Ty, though, wasn't she? He forgot.

Rick couldn't help but grin at Brendan's obvious enthusiasm about swimming, and how excited the boy looked even when he tried to contain his feelings. Then he asked him if he enjoyed water polo. A surprisingly difficult answer. His eyebrows scrunched up in thought.

"Yeah, I like it well enough. But probably going to stop once I graduate." Rick replied, rubbing the back of his hair. If he graduated, that is. "Not good enough to get into any schools with it."

He was disappointed with himself that his response was so lackluster compared to Brendan's joy in swimming, fiddling with his earphones, before he had an idea.

Rick leaned in further towards Brendan, his hand partially covering his mouth in case the librarian overheard, with a conspiring air in his actions. "But, I do have a special skill."

He turned to grin over at Fiyori. "Do you mind if I give one of my famous performances and risk us getting kicked out?"

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
"If you had planned to study, I didn't want to interrupt your concentration." Rick grinned even more at Fiyori. he put one of his earphones in and began to scroll through his playlist. He had been working on the Tokyo Ghoul opening for his channel, but he had not gotten all the words memorized yet. And the yelling bits were not something he was comfortable doing in the library. He did a quick look over at Brendan. Then again, maybe he should pick a song that wasn't in Japanese. Like, he didn't want to offend him on accident or anything.

Looking back down at his screen, he landed on Claire Littley's cover of "Fly me to The Moon."

A simple classic, and maybe something Fiyori would know. She liked to play the piano in her free time, right? "Fly me to the moon" was pretty much a classic, and this version had been stuck in his head so much that he had to download it after binge watching Neon Genesis Evangelion. That was a bad series to binge watch, in retrospect, and in the later episodes the cut to credits was jarring, but in Rick's opinion a desperately needed break.

And the song was quiet enough that he might be able to get away with singing it without getting kicked out of the library.

He set his phone on the table and tapped play on screen, then he started to sing.

"Flyyy me to the Moon, and let me play among the stars..."

He tried to concentrate on keeping his voice soft. It wasn't the kind of song he usually belt out in the studio closet. It needed to be sung with the same emotion but carefulness that he thought Littley always put into it.

When he finished, he focused back on Fiyori and Brendan, hoping they enjoyed it. "It's not much, and it would've been better with actual music, but it's all I got, heh."

It would've been better if Isaac was around with his guitar. Singing always sounded better with musical instruments, at least in Rick's mind. Maybe he should've picked a song he was more comfortable with.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick smile grew even bigger at Brendan's praise, and his cheeks flushed with pride. It wasn't much, but he was happy that Brendan enjoyed it. "Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

He had to roll his eyes at Fiyori's comment. "Yeah. And I'm not "obsessed" with it..."

Though, the song had been stuck in his head a bit. And he had never attempted to memorize the lyrics before, and he didn't look up the lyrics while he was singing. "...Not much, at least." he offered back in defeat. "But, don't think I didn't see your hands moving. Itching to play the tune on your piano ivories?"

Rick leaned back in his chair, looking up at the ceiling. "Maybe we could collaborate on something... hey, Brendan, do you play any instruments?"

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fiyori didn't seem too into the idea of them working together. Rick could understand that, and he probably should've made his response more joking. now Brendan looked really into the idea. But they couldn't have a band if the pianist wasn't interested.

"Ah. I might not have the time," Rick admitted. It was true, sort of. With sports, school, and his work schedule for the Infinicks channel it might be too much to attempt a collaboration with two real life people. And this would leave Fiyori with an out. However, he didn't want to crush Brendan's hopes and dreams, either.

"But I'm still interested in seeing whatever you come up with." he replied to Brendan. "Sorry if that sounds kinda selfish."

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick looked over at Fiyori, guessing what she had just mumbled, or something similar. He rubbed the side of his face in embarrassment. He was used to her innuendos, but he hoped that they flew over Brendan's head. The kid seemed too innocent to handle it.

"Uhhhhh, hm," was his excellent response to Brendan's question. What kind of song would he want to sing? He had done covers of happy, sad, even downright creepy songs before. He usually went with whatever new video or opening song piqued his interest or what his viewers asked for the most. This would be the first he would make an active decision on what song he wanted to choose, in a way. There was suddenly a lot of pressure on his shoulders, and Rick never did well with pressure.

"I don't know... I guess something simple, maybe a happy song or a love song." he offered. Those were usually the easiest to do. He could always bring up the emotion for those kinds of songs. They made him feel good when singing them.

"But don't worry too much about it. Go with whatever makes you feel good." Rick concluded. "And seeya when you go."
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Brendan seemed really into the idea of a collab. That was good, at least. He looked much happier then before. And the stuttering seemed to be out of excitement instead of nervousness. The easy air around the table was broken as soon as Fiyori broke into a fit of laughter. Rick out a light chuckle too, though he was more nervous than happy.

"Uh, sure. I guess you're-"

Rick was about to say that Fiyori was "into" Brendan when she replied with nearly the exact statement, only referring to him.

His mouth parted in shock. "Huh? No way!"

That couldn't be it, she must be jumping to conclusions. "Its just we have some things in common. Like swimming, and-and he's just obviously interested in writing music lyrics!"

It did not sound like the best excuse when it came out of his mouth, but it made more sense to Rick than the kid developing a crush on him in little then, like, ten minutes since they were formally introduced to each other. Could crushes even develop that fast?

Besides that, he was going out with Abby. Well, sort of going out. They were casual about it, but still. He couldn't believe it took him that long to think of Abby when this was brought up. It should've been the first subject in his brain. Did that make him a terrible boyfriend? Or, date... friend?
Edited by MrMissMrs Random, Aug 18 2015, 09:52 PM.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick hated how hot his face felt, resting his head on the table and using his arms to cover his face. He should have been used to her teasing by this point. And he was, when he was not the object of the teasing. He hardly ever got second hand embarrassment anymore from it. "You're awful sometimes, you know that?"

His mind started to wander at the suggestion though. Abby was beautiful, obviously. And warm and... soft- figuratively! Personality wise, she was wonderful. However, from an objective standpoint, Brendan was not bad looking either. He was tall, and in good shape from all that swimming. Even in the sweatshirt he could make out how broad the kid's shoulders were.

He had to stop. Had to stop thinking this. This was terrible. Damn Fiyori.

"Awful, awful..." his groaned muffled by his arms.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick pulled his face up from his makeshift arm bunker.

"Yes, I do want it, please." he replied, feeling more defeated. But free food was free food, and Fiyori made really good shit. The food kind, not actual, well, shit. That was such a gross thing to think about when he was about to eat. His mind betrayed him on every occasion. But the food would help him clear his head. Probably.

"What do you have?"
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
One of Rick's arms quickly shot out from underneath his head to grab the offered baked good. It looked a lot like a snake to him. Maybe if he ate it he would get special powers. Either way, it was Fiyori's food. Which meant it would be delicious.

Taking his first bite, he squeezed his eyes in pleasure as the puff pastry and some kind of nut spread hit his taste buds. It was a little hard to get a full bite out of it, due to the two items being stacked together, but he made an effort to open his mouth wide enough to fit it all in. It tasted wonderful.

Swallowing after his second bite, he looked over at Fiyori with a smile. "Thank you, and all is forgiven."
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick had taken another bite of the pastry as Fiyori talked, chewing carefully as he looked at the books and other study tools he had been ignoring since he first saw Fiyori and Brendan. It was true that the library's true purpose was for reading. Accumulating knowledge in an active way. Not like active as in talking or singing, but to quietly read textbooks filled with small print and confusing diagrams and examples that were supposed to relate to real life but never did. Real life was talking to people, singing despite the fear of getting caught, and great pastries.

"It's too bad the world thinks textbooks teach you what you need to know about life." Rick replied once her finished. It took him a moment to realize what he said. Woah, backtrack. That probably made no sense to Fiyori.

"I mean, well, I wasn't even coming in here to study in the first place." Rick admitted. "But if you want to actually, you know, do that. I'll try to do the same. Promise."
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
"It wouldn't be suffering... much." Rick replied. Yeah, studying was never his thing. Fiyori didn't seem to care much about it either. He was close to finishing the pastry, so he decided the best course of action would be to stuff the rest in his mouth. He could feel his cheeks expand as he tried to chew the food to a something easier to swallow. Thinking about studying made him think about other things as well. What did Fiyori plan on doing after they graduated? He didn't think they ever talked about it before. e

"Hey, what are you planning to do after we graduate?" Rick asked. He was curious. "With your baking skills I'm sure you could set up shop somewhere."
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick smiled at Fiyori's answer. It seemed like she thought a lot about it so far, with how calmly she replied. Unlike him. There was no panic, no fear of the unknown in her response. "That sounds cool. I'm sure you'll be great helping people."

Fiyori was great at a lot things, and she was smart. It was obvious she would have things planned out. They were both seniors and had to start thinking about those things. Most people were like Fiyori, having some goal to strive for.

"I'm... not sure yet." he replied. If he ask Fiyori about the future it was fair enough to tell her his lack of it. "Isaac is planning on working with our dad, but I've always been terrible with carpentry."

At least he knew for sure that he would never be a carpenter. One of the times his dad let him into his work shop, Rick nearly sawed off his pinky when trying to cut a piece of wood. he still had a scar on the upper half of his finger from that. Rick looked down at his hand, flexing his fingers back and forth. Maybe to check that they were all still there.

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rick watched for a moment as Fiyori walked away, before looking back down at his phone. What she said was right. If he wasn't going to do any studying, it would be best to leave.

His hand moved across the screen, back to the episode he had been planning to watch. He tapped the "play" icon.

It would be best, but Rick preferred to stay in the comfortable space of the library for a little while longer.

(Rick Brea continued Elsewhere...)
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Beale Library · Next Topic »
Add Reply