Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(For a Film); Kingman's Movies 8 or the equivalent
Topic Started: Jul 14 2015, 04:22 PM (960 Views)
Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jane Madison continued from The Tyranny of Grocery Bags))

Jane didn't mind working the theater too much. Yeah, it could suck, but hey! She wasn't working at MacDonald's, so there was that. Pay was better and the work was usually less disgusting, unless she was cleaning the bathrooms. That was a nightmarish task she avoided like the plague. Especially given she'd probably get the plague by being in there too much. Seriously, the amount of bodily fluids she'd had to clean from the ceiling was both impressive and depressing.

Luckily, today was a Saturday shift, and today Jane was working tickets, which was pretty simple. Take money/card, insert into register, smile at people and don't flip out. Much better than bathroom duty. Ugh.

As she approached the theater, a foul smell hit her. Jane had always hated smoking; it was horrible for your health, and what's more the smell made her gag. It was just an unpleasant habit. As Jane arrived, she recognized the other student working the shift today, Jae. Despite their similar names, Jae and Jane were not close. He was one of those surly goth kids that not only smoked, but was just...unpleasant to be around for Jane.

Still, at least a semblance of friendliness was expected. Could be worse; could be Caedyn.

"What's up?" Jane said in a not-terribly-enthusiastic voice. "You heading in?" After all, the shift was starting in a few minutes. Jane was running a little late, but she'd been sleeping in after a night out. Not a great excuse but hey, she was on time and not hungover, so what's the big deal?
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Looks like." Jane said in a neutral tone.

She and Jae didn't often interact outside of work, but when they did, it usually ended poorly. Luckily, at work they'd established a sort of peace treaty. No fighting, no bickering, no yelling. They both needed the work, and it wasn't worth risking their jobs for something as silly as a conflict of personalities.

"Almost time, huh." She said, not to Jae in particular. Brushing her hair out of her face, Jane walked past Jae towards the theater entrance. After a moment, she stopped at the door and turned around.

"So are you going inside, or...?"

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jane nodded, and entered the theater without a word. Walking to her spot by the ticket register (not jumping over the counter like a buffoon) Jane took her spot silently and started working at setting up shop, so to speak.

The minutes passed slowly and painfully.

Eventually, Jae piped up, almost to Jane's relief. Small talk, even awkward small talk with someone you didn't really like, was better than nothing, and Jane actually appreciated him starting something. Not that she'd ever tell him, of course.

"I'm going to Mansfield. It's in Pennsylvania." Jane paused, then added, "I just kinda wanna get out of Kingman, and it's one of the only places I got accepted to. But hey, at least I got accepted." Jane smiled a little.

"What about you?"

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jane found herself trying to avoid staring in surprise. They didn't always get along, but he'd hit something right on the money with that. It was just...how many times had she heard people bring that up in the last few months? It was nuts. "Oh my god, I know! It's so bullshit!" She exclaimed. "Like, that's so true."

Jane looked at Jae with surprising sympathy. "It's totally fine if you don't go to college if it's not for you." She said slowly, trying not to trip over her words. College had always been sort of expected for her; from grandpa telling her she was so bright that it'd be a shame to not go, to her parents telling her how proud they'd been when she got accepted.

And she wanted to go. She did. But now she realized she didn't have to if she didn't want to. But poor Jae, who knew what kind of expectations were heaped on him? Not to be racist, but it wouldn't surprise Jane if he had a lot of familial responsibilities piled on him, if he had a traditional family from the East or something.

"If you decide not to go, what do you want to do instead? Any ideas yet?"

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This was weird.

Of all the people to suddenly have a heart-to-heart with about college and the future, Jae seemed like...the exact opposite of the kind of person she'd want to do so with. Still, she couldn't help but side with him on this.

"Sounds like a plan. Maybe do some backpacking across Europe or whatever people do?" Jane said flippantly, and shrugged. It wasn't that she hadn't considered such an idea herself. But with finances the way they were, she'd dismissed those ideas as fantasy, delusional even. She wasn't going to Europe, she was going to college and getting a job like a responsible adult.

But maybe that wasn't the right way to think about it. Maybe it wasn't about self-assigned responsibilities, but doing what you needed to do. Taking the opportunity to do what she dreamed of while she was young and fit and ready for it, not some old lady on her bucket list. She could see the world first, then settle down. Could she do it...?

Jane shook her head. Not the time to get all distracted.

Still, she should really think about this some more later on...

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jane, lost in thought, took a moment to register what Jae said. When she did though, her thoughts snapped back from "philosophical/life goals" to "god this is weird" because once again she and Jae were almost in sync.

"Mhm, I get you there." Jane said quietly. "We've been in school out whole lives, and now we're moving on and it feels like we ran out too fast." Jane smiled bitterly.

"This whole thing is, is hard, y'know? Change is scary and hard and you can't stop the future from arriving right on schedule. We've gotta be adults soon, and we can't stop it."

Jane chuckled softly, and added, "I mean, that's getting kinda existential, but you know what I mean?"

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jane nodded in sympathy.

"Yeah, it sucks. I don't even know what we could do differently. Spend more time with people we don't have anymore, I guess?" Jane was thinking of her grandpa, naturally, but did Jae have anyone like that? Maybe. God, it was weird to imagine him having a touching moment with his great-aunt or something, given how they usually got on.

"I'm just overwhelmed sometimes with how much harder it's going to be. Like, working 9 to 5, and doing bills and all that crap we don't have to do normally. Like, it's one thing to do chores and work part-time and go to school, but..." Where was Jane going here? It was hard for her to decide how she felt.

"A break sounds pretty nice. Just get away from it all, travel and see the world. Or, y'know, go on a road trip." Jane smiled a little.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As a number of small children invaded, the conversation died off. Jane was oddly disappointed; it was nice to talk to someone so...honest about things. Jane appreciated that about Jae, even if he could be problematic in any other situation. Plus, kids were annoying to deal with, so that wasn't fun.

Handing out tickets to the worn-looking parents with a sympathetic smile, Jane idly wondered if this was her future. Being a parent was something she might experience some day, but hopefully not anytime soon. She wasn't even sure she wanted kids, like, ever. Still, if she met the right person...

Jane's thoughts drifted like that, and she went about working quietly for the rest of her shift.

((Jane Madison continued in Yard Sard))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Events/Other · Next Topic »
Add Reply