Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Black River
Topic Started: Jul 3 2015, 06:40 PM (1,368 Views)
Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Cameron Herrig continued from Rays on Pinion))

Seven sisters sobbing by the shore
Longing for their lost loves whose ships sail no more
Waiting as the hours pass them by
Growing weak and weary until one by one they die

Cameron twirled her pencil around in one hand, sipping on her coffee with the other. She was doodling as she waited for Enzo to show up. They had decided to meet up for a coffee at Cheryl's after school and Cameron had arrived a little early. So to pass the time she had started drawing up ideas for potential body art for shows. Some of them were a bit more out there and she found she was spending more time actually thinking about what each one would actually look like than actually drawing them out but the end result for some of them had potential to look fairly interesting and cool. That was what made it rewarding.

Still it beat going home by a large margin. She actually preferred going to a place like Cheryl's because it let her put her headphones in and do her work in blissful ignorance. Plus she could hang out with friends at a cafe. She twirled a strand of copper hair around in her finger as she looked at the sketch in front of her. It was a basic outline of person (her) with no defining features, and lightning lancing down its face and body. It was a basic idea but lightning by itself was boring to her. It would need something else but she was stuck for what.

With a sigh Cameron flipped to a clean page in her sketchbook and went to work on a new outline. The lightning idea could join the other works in progress. Maybe she'd revisit it, maybe not. She never really knew with an idea that would be used at gigs. It had to be a certain standard but sometimes she said she'd put more work into one and she never did. Normally though when an idea grabbed her she finished it in on sitting. If that was the case things weren't looking good for the lightning idea and the others.
Kimiko Kao - - - - - - - The Lagniappe
Travis "Trav" Lynch - - They Stumbled Into Faith and Thought
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Shock Me

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Hey Human." Cameron said without looking up. She was busy scribbling an idea down on the paper. She knew it was Enzo though because of the voice and nickname. No one else called her Sardine, most people stuck with Cameron, Cammy or Cam. "Not much is up right now, just brainstorming paint ideas and ordering without waiting for you." She pointed at her coffee with her pencil to emphasize her point.

Setting the pencil down Cameron looked up at Enzo...correction Enza. It was a girl day. She knew that already, she had seen Vincenza earlier in the day. Sometimes she found it hard to remember though and she was also sure that it wasn't just her who had the issue. Regardless they were her friend so she had to put the effort in...most of the time.

"So, Mr Mrs Person. What's up with you?" Cameron asked as she took a sip from her coffee, watching as another student from their school walked in after Enza. She recognized them as Coleen Reagan, she was always noticable because of the bad case of melty face she had. Not that she could do anything about it, but her face did look like a waxwork figure with a candle on its left side. Returning her focus to Enza she spoke again. "Since I mean, you look like you want to get something off your chest."

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron nodded as she took a sip from her coffee. It was slightly bitter but she could deal with that. The more important thing was that someone had put Enza through a loop, purely because she was different, she hated that. Cameron had always been slightly protective on Enza in a weird way. Not that it was noticeable from watching them interact but deep down she cared a lot. She spun the pencil through her fingers with her free hand, thinking of what to say to make her friend feel better.

As she opened her mouth to tell Vinny that the people who spoke were just scared of her being different she heard someone giggle. Her vision shot around the cafe, eyes narrowed and sharp. If they were laughing at her friend there was going to be trouble, Cameron had never had a problem with that. She wasn't physically aggressive but verbally...well she'd picked up some tricks from hearing her parents.

Happily enough the culprit made themselves known Coleen turned round and greeted the two of them. That made Cameron relax, from what she'd seen of Coleen she didn't seem like the malicious type. Plus she was greeting them and not immediately saying she agreed with the people who had made fun of Enza and she didn't know Vinny's name. The melty face was also a reason to believe she wouldn't laugh at someone getting mocked.

"I am her." Cameron said in reply to Coleen's question. "And they are," She pointed at Enza. "Vincenzo 'Vinny' 'Enzo' 'Enza' Gatti the Third, Living Ruler of Gender and Sexuality. Represented here today in the temple known as Cheryl's." She made sure to finish with a flourish, making a little bow motion. "All praise them as human." She looked back at Coleen. "So! What's up?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Goomba. Cameron shrugged, she wasn't one to question Enza's nickname technique. They ahd their own way of doing things, just like she did. It worked well for both of them. Now the real question was could Coleen sit with them? Cameron had been thinking and had been prepared for a simple one on one with Enza. It wasn't that Cameron didn't welcome new company, she was just super bad at first meetings, since she always found a way to mess it up.

"Yeah you can sit with us! We're cool people, which looks like it's something you'd appreciate." She opened her arms dramatically to cover the whole table. "Currently we are discussing how some people are judgy fucks who dislike people being different. I think we all have experience with that." She slid her stuff along the table then moved down the seat, nestling herself in the corner, resting one foot under her other leg.

She looked over Coleen in more detail as she took a sip from her coffee. If Cameron was honest yes she did find Coleen attractive. Had that influenced her decision to let her sit at their table? Maybe. It wasn't exactly an important detail, just her objectifying someone, no biggie. That head tilt was cute enough as things were. Cameron shook her head to get her train of thought back on the tracks.

"But yeah we're just chillin'."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"People are always shit." Cameron muttered from where she was sitting. She absentmindedly doodled on a clean page of her sketchbook; it wasn't that she was drawing anything in particular it was just so that her hands were doing something. Her eyes remained focused on the other two girls, taking in their conversation. It seemed pleasant and genuine. The second item being of utmost importance to Cameron, she could spot someone being fake a mile away.

When was the last time she had worn a proper dress anyway? Cameron honestly couldn't remember. She was sure she had worn one a few times but whether or not she still had it was another question. If she did she wanted to turn it into a costume for a show. That was if she did though. It would have allow her to go full crazy if she had a cut up dress as well as her wolf headpiece thing she had found in the charity shop. She loved that wolf head.

"Between the two of you we could go back to the sixties." Cameron said as she took a sip of her coffee. She pulled a face as she looked in the cup. It was almost empty. Cameron turned and looked around the diner from where she was sitting. Trying to catch the eye of one of the waitresses. "But anyway Human, I think their tiny monkey brains are just scared of you and your freedom. Probably can't deal with-hey." She managed to grab one of the waitresses’ attention as they walked past. "More coffee please and..." She turned and pointed at the other two. "You don't actually...have anything. And these guys will tell you what they want."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron had to smile when Enza mentioned people being able to wear what they wanted without worry. In a way it was what she did everyday. It was much more noticeable when she was performing though. That was when Cameron felt the most at home and natural. On stage she would be painted up and essentially wearing costumes to accentuate her look, one thing was consistent was her wolf headdress. She had found it in an antique shop and managed to barter the price of it down to a cool seventy-five dollars. It had been birthday money well spent. It did however get hot as shit when she was wearing it on stage, so it only lasted a song or two before she had to take it off. It made for an amazing image though.

Enza mentioned turning 'Tiny Monkey Brains' into a song. Cameron nodded and jotted it down on her notepad. "Yeah something about evolution maybe." She mumbled to herself as she did so. The ideas were starting to swirl around in her head and a tune was starting to take form when Cameron realised what Enza had said. She couldn't help but laugh. "Can you imagine? Man I don't think swingers would be ready for us."

Then Coleen decided to broach one of Cameron's favorite topics, that of the band. She always loved explaining it to new people. Cameron turned to her with a grin. There was just something fun about broading musical horizons and opening peoples minds to new and exciting things they never knew about. Plus she would have been lying if she said she didn't enjoy the attention a little. It was more about the music and performance aspect for her but everyone who was in a band wanted attention one way or the other. Otherwise why would they get up on stage and perform? "You've probably seen a picture of us at some stage without realising buuuuttt I'm in a band called Peyote Coyote." She pulled her phone out and with a few taps was on their Facebook page. "Here, take a look."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah we're playing at Phoenix Stadium this weekend. Mastodon are opening for us." Cameron muttered to herself, she could dream. One day she planned on playing in a sold out stadium that had all come to see her. One day. As for right now, she needed to make sure her playing was awesome and her songs were well-structured and enjoyable. She had a long way to go before stadium shows. Cameron couldn't help but smile and laugh at Coleen's enthusiasm. You would almost think she had never seen a band before. "We look awesome because we are awesome, bar like one major flaw."

Despite Coleen having sat down at the table with it, Cameron hadn't noticed the screenplay of 'Fiddler on The Roof' until she was watching Coleen drink her shake. She tapped the screenplay with her pencil to get Coleen's attention. "So do you do theater stuff then, all that acting and Shakespeare shit?" She span the pencil around in her hand as she leaned back and genuine smile on her face. "I mean, you don't seem very outgoing what with the hiding your burny face."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If Cameron hadn't realised what she had said at first, the reaction of Enza and Coleen tipped her off. Cursing inwardly at yet another instance of her amazing ability to speak without thinking, Cameron started work on making things right. "Shit, no, no. I didn't mean like that." She shot a guilty look at Enza. "I just...fuck." She dropped her head onto the table and put her notebook over the top of it. "I hope the ground opens and the apocalypse begins. That way you'll both forget this." Cameron was ninety-percent sure her face was as red as her hair. The only words going around in her head were 'Blown it' on a perpetual loop. It had been going so well too.

"Look," She began rising back up from the table. "I didn't mean to like y'know. Say that." Someone get a shovel. "But that's cool. I dig all types of performance. So do you do it at school or?"

Normally Cameron wouldn't mind if she insulted someone. Caring about stuff like that wasn't her way, if they didn't like the fact she said some serious shit they probably weren't going to cut it as her friend. But despite only knowing Coleen for about eight minutes Cameron found that there was something about her she enjoyed. Whether it was the shyness or the amazing newbie vibe she gave off when talking about music, Cameron found her endearing. So she hoped that she hadn't completely fucked everything up thanks to her mouth having a mind of its own.

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So Coleen did her acting at school and community theatre, it was good information to have. Cameron now had a solid idea of how committed Coleen was to performance art. The answer was pretty damn committed, she would have to be if she was doing it both in and out of school. Cameron could dig that, perseverance and commitment was needed to make it after all. The band had needed to call up venues over and over again to see if there were any gigs available, eventually people had started caving and having them do small sets. Once that happened word of mouth and their fans did the rest. They had been invited back nearly every time.

The offer of attending a show was when an idea that had been slowly growing in Cameron's brain blossomed. She could use the excuse of going to watch Coleen perform as an excuse to scout her singing ability. None of the others had to know. After all if Coleen sucked there would be no harm done and everyone could just move on with their lives blissfully unaware that she had been planning anything at all. If Coleen was good however...well that was when things would get interesting and exciting for her. Plus any excuse to get out of the house.

"Next week huh? I mean I had a meeting with my agent about playing Download Festival but I guess I can push that back. What day and time are we talking?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thursday night, seven to ten." Cameron nodded as she made a mental note to make an actual note on her phone. She grinned as Coleen rambled on, explaining why she had picked Thursday. Not that it made any difference at all to Cameron but it was kind funny and charming. Once Coleen had finished she spoke. "Alright sounds like a date."

Cameron looked down at her notepad, her design sitting half-finished. It was bothering her, she preferred any ideas she scribbled down to be complete. Otherwise she felt as if she only had half a thought down and it wouldn't make sense if she looked back. So to rectify the issue she started quickly scribbling in the rest before it left her mind. She positioned herself with one foot up on the seat and her back up against the wall. From where she was nestled in the corner she could keep eyes on both Enza and Coleen while still being able to work on the sketch.

She shook her head with a smile at Coleen's explanation of the hard work that went into theatre. It almost sounded like when the band performed on stage...in fact it sounded exactly like that. That was another tick in the box of traits Cameron was looking for. Being hard-working was an important skill especially since some nights things just didn't click and you'd have to go back to practice to keep working at it until you got it perfect.

"I'll be there. Got fuck all else to do." She pointed at Enza with her pencil. "Human there may be busy with being internet famous though."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron laughed. "Don't worry. Half of what Enza says is obscure nerd stuff. Sometimes I just nod and laugh." She took a sip from her coffee. She smiled at the idea of having a PA, that poor person wouldn't know what to do half the time. There was also the probability that she would have messed with them in some way, shape or form. It wouldn't have been the best job ever, but it did remind her of her desire to have a roadie, that would be the first sign they had made it. When they had other people set up their instruments for them. It was the dream.

"My PA wouldn't last very long." Cameron said as she continued to finish off her sketch. It was just some final shading and then it would be golden. It was some kind of spirit idea she guessed, pure white skin, large black contacts that covered her whole eyes and the wolf headdress on. The main sticking point was the red paint that would be done to look like blood running down her head. If anything it'd look striking when she walked out. Sadly with only a pencil the colours were just labels, she'd draw up a more accurate design later. For the moment however she threw her notebook down on the table.

"There we go. One new design for a show. What do you guys think?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'd be more worried about ruining the headdress. Love that thing." She wasn't joking either, she loved her headdress. When it wasn't in use it sat on a mannequin head on top of her wardrobe, with a plastic bag over it. She almost took as much care of it as she did her guitar; but that was her one true inanimate love. Nothing else could ever match it. It was her freedom and she'd never get rid of it, even once it got old and broken down she would keep it.

Then Coleen announced her sudden departure. Cameron smiled and shook her head again at the other girls social ability. It was semi-decent but it was obvious she didn't always talk to people about her hobbies much. Not that it mattered, she seemed genuine and nice enough. As long as she was a good singer Cameron didn't see any issue in introducing her to the others.

"Yeah see you then." She gave a small wave as Coleen left, then turned her attention to Enza. "So, kinda got sidetracked there. My bad."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron smiled at Enza's comment. Always felt good to make someone feel better.

"Happy to help Human. Always there to help raise the mood." Cameron checked the time using her phone. It was getting late. "Alright, I actually have work to do so I should probably head off." She rolled her eyes. "The life of a busy artist."

Standing with a flourish Cameron packed up her stuff.

"I'll see you tomorrow." And with that, she was gone.

((Cameron Herrig continued in Smoke On Her Face))

V5
Unknowns

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Cheryl's · Next Topic »
Add Reply