Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Black River
Topic Started: Jul 3 2015, 06:40 PM (1,374 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Coleen Reagan, continued from Joke's on you I don't link pregame threads))

Normally, a girl had to be careful to watch her figure. Plenty of exercise and eating healthy worked together in tandem to keep Coleen in shape for the stage, and she enjoyed looking reasonably attractive. Anything could be done in the name of beauty to compensate for the one blemish she could do nothing about, the cruel joke fate had played on her. All of these efforts were fine and good, but sometimes you just had to have a damn milkshake.

There wasn't a rehearsal after school today, so Coleen decided to fill the gap by heading into town and enjoying something cold at her favorite restaurant. She never liked heading home straight away; lately, her parents and her siblings had been driving her mad. Her room didn't quite feel like the ironclad sanctuary anymore. Instead, it felt like some sort of drive-by tourist attraction with everybody knocking to bother her. Sometimes Mom didn't even knock; she just barged right on in and started picking up laundry, no matter what Coleen was in the middle of. She nearly jabbed herself in the eye doing her makeup thanks to surprise interruptions, alongside other mishaps or embarrassments.

With a copy of the screenplay for Fiddler on the Roof tucked under her arm and her backpack loosely slung over the opposite shoulder, Coleen made her way into Cheryl's and dropped off her things at a booth near another occupied table. Tunnel-visioned on her own matters, she sat down and began idly flicking through a menu. She knew what she wanted. A single strawberry malt would be enough to get her through most of what she needed to memorize this afternoon. She set it down at the edge of the table and turned the screenplay around, tugging her hair away from her left eye so both of them could do their fair share of the work reading. She just needed to remember to throw it back when somebody came over to take her order.

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match...
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen giggled.

She had really tried not to, as doing so would reveal that she was listening in on the conversation, but the string of swearing was too much. She supposed after the fact that some people trying to eat or about to eat might have been grossed out, but having little siblings and having to care for them hardened up the stomach a fair bit to toilet humor. For that, she guessed she could consider herself grateful.

Turning to the right in order to peer behind her (she always turned to the right - it was her good side), Coleen could see Cameron Herrig out of the corner of her eye. She always envied Cameron... well, not Cameron specifically, but people like her. People who could be so 'out there' and bold when it took every fiber of her being to get on stage and not collapse in a puddle of her own tears from fright. Next to her was... Vincenzo, she thought, but Coleen was always nervous around... them? Try as she might to be sensitive, she struggled to wrap her head around how somebody could be neither a boy nor a girl. Her general policy was to just follow the lead of others. This did nothing to assuage the awkwardness when she had nothing to go off of, however.

Given that there were two kids from school right behind her, Coleen figured she should at least say hello (though if you asked her feelings on the subject, she would much rather sit there, wait for her food and read her screenplay). She set her knees over the side of the seat and turned further to the right, looking at the both of them. "Hey!" Coleen offered her best smile and prayed it wouldn't break. "Cameron and... shoot... help me out here?" She lied, pretending not to know Vincenzo's name. It would give her something to go off of.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, so 'they' was what they were all going with. Okay, that answered one question. Coleen also felt an intense urge to sigh in relief that she hadn't fucked up the greeting. Everybody was all smiles. Terrific! Now this social situation was only half-awkward. She thought for a moment, with how they were looking back at her at first, that things had gone sour. Apparently not the case. Neat!

"Aaaaa-haha, hello!" Coleen smiled sweetly. She only had one eye to work with, which was the case most of the time, but she was fairly confident she had correctly applied the charm needed. "You mind if, um, I move my stuff to sit with you guys?" The words came out before she knew it. Sitting with the other girls wasn't actually ideal regarding her goals; reading a screenplay and engaging in conversation were two mutually exclusive things. The damage had been done and the line was cast, so she might as well commit.

Besides, she supposed she spent enough time by herself anyhow. Talking to somebody else would be nice. Fiddler could come later. Coleen gave in to her tic and brushed the hair out of the good side of her face, tilting her face ever so slightly so it would fall just a bit further over the bad part. She heard the head-tilt made her look cuter anyway.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen got herself situated, setting her bag under the table and between her feet. The Fiddler screenplay was absentmindedly set down on the table between her hands where she could play with it idly, waiting for the ability to flawlessly interact with other human being to spontaneously generate. Such was her attempts to take in Cameron's comments that Coleen wasn't fast enough to catch the waitress. The server was already headed away from the table by the time she figured out what was happening, which meant she would have to wait just a little bit longer to get that strawberry malt.

"Sorry. About the people, I mean," Coleen said. Her fingers had come up to stroke down her hair, constantly playing with it and straightening it. "I... do, um, know what that's like I guess," she agreed with Cameron. It was Cameron's comment that had driven Coleen to be self-conscious at the moment. It only made sense that the girls would know about her face. It wasn't some big secret, especially since there were times that Coleen was forced to tie her hair back, and though she trained it to cover her face it didn't always do its job without fail. Still, knowing it was there was one thing, bringing it up was another. Just because it wasn't a secret didn't mean Coleen wanted to leave it uncovered all the time.

She let herself be pulled away by Enza's comment and gesture, since anything was more comfortable to talk about. "Oh, your dress? I like it!" Coleen protested with a smile, tugging a little at her blouse. "But I mean, I like dresses too, so... call me old-fashioned, I guess."
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Jul 25 2015, 02:41 PM.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"You guys? Peyote?" Coleen sat back in her seat, painfully aware of how dumbfounded she must have looked. With nothing to occupy her hands, they found comfort in each other and folded in front of her, wriggling nervously. A lot of this so-called 'post-gender' stuff was, indeed, lost on her but Enza was a very energetic person, at least in her own way. Both girls were energetic, both Enza and Cameron. However, they were both also very confusing.

It seemed she had found something of an opening in the conversation however, something she could ask about. Music was a topic that could universally pull people together as long as one's horizons were broadened enough. It was a safe, non-political avenue, and Coleen desperately sought for something to refresh her.

Speaking of which-

"H-Hey, wait!" She stammered, whipping around in her seat to catch the nearly-leaving waitress. "I mean, sorry," she apologized for calling so abruptly. "But I was hoping to get a strawberry malt?"

After getting a confirmation from the waitress, Coleen sighed in relief and re-adjusted her hair, facing the other two again.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen nursed her freshly-made strawberry malt while listening to the two. She smiled through the straw at Enza's jokes... if they were jokes, anyway. She had such a deadpan delivery and a strangely alluring confidence about her, as if she could easily and literally sell somebody a bridge in New York. Were they really such a big deal then, Peyote Coyote? Obviously they weren't selling out stadiums, but maybe they were a well-known band across the school. If that were the case, then Coleen was embarrassed to admit she had never before heard of them.

"Ooooh, okay," she hummed as she traced her finger across Cameron's phone to flick through the pictures. Her eyes lit up at the recognition of some of her classmates, each varying in familiarity. "That's BB! And Vanessa, and... who is that in the back?" she asked, pointing towards the drummer. "Little fuzzy. But you guys look so awesome!" Coleen beamed and sat back, struggling between smiling more and really wanting to drink more of her delicious shake. She decided on both, sipping at the frothy dessert while the corners of her mouth remained upturned, her fingers idly playing with the corners of 'Fiddler on the Roof'.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Her burny...?

Her face!!

Coleen jolted, a motion so abrupt that her throat concocted a sound not unlike a squeak crossed with a hiccup. Her hand had found her face, instinctively cradling the large blemish that had plagued her for all but the first couple years of her life. Her hair was pinned over her face to help hide it, but it was just a comfort thing. Cameron had already seen it. Coleen understood that it wasn't exactly a secret across the school as all the evidence was, quite literally, right there on her face. Of course everybody knew about it, but that didn't mean she wanted to show it off, or that she liked to remember it. That's when she felt the most comfortable, when she forgot all about the burn.

"Oh." It came out as a whimper, Coleen's uncovered eye staring intently back at the flier. "Um... yeah. Yeah I do... I do the stuff..."
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron had wasted no time in showing immediate regret for saying what she did. She showed it so well with such a dramatic flair, in fact, that Coleen couldn't help thinking that Cameron would have made a great fit for the Cochise theatre program.

Coleen giggled. It was a nervous giggle, an unsure one, and she hesitantly removed her fingers from her hair and let it fall back into place, swishing it just once to make sure that the bangs hanging down were very close to the bridge of her nose. "It's... it's fine, really," she said tentatively, managing a smile with a fair bit of redness to her own face. "I'm sorry, I just wasn't expecting it to be... w-whatever, it's nothing!" Her smile grew a little bolder. Enza helped get things back on track, making a quick joke and then leaving it there, while Cameron took the lead in moving the conversation along. Cameron had been eager to show her artistic flair, and despite her anxiety, Coleen would do her best to reciprocate.

"Yes, I do it at school," Coleen started, finding her voice again. Eventually both her hands folded in front of her over the theatre program, poise returning to her shoulders. "I've done, um, acting for community theatre too. It's... it's a lot of fun, not sure if you'd really be into musical plays." Sure, Cameron said that all sorts of performance was cool, but lots of people said that and the stage still wasn't necessarily for them. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It was more than possible to gain a couple of friends today.

"If you want, Fiddler on the Roof is going on next week... you could, I dunno... come and uh, check it out? I'll owe you a Coyote Peyote concert," Coleen said, proud of herself that she had remembered the name of the band Cameron was in. She hoped.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen still wasn't absolutely positive about taking Cameron seriously or being able to discern whether she was joking or not. She opted to just roll with it and smiled at the 'agent' comment. She initially hadn't struck her as a girl interested in the theatre, but it seemed Cameron, as well as Enza, were both full of pleasant surprises.

"Would you?" Coleen exclaimed, beaming brightly. "It's Thursday night, seven to ten. We also run Friday through Sunday with matinee performances on the weekends but, um, I figure you have other stuff you're doing, so I was just picking what I thought might, uh yeah, be the most convenient for you!"

Coleen turned her gaze to Enza. "It's a lot of time, but all the hard work is... is SO worth it when you nail that part and you get off the stage and you're like... 'Yes! I did it!'... yeah?" Coleen noted her rising enthusiasm and motioned to curb it, sweeping the right side of her hair back behind her ear.

"Um, so that's settled. You should both come if you're not busy." Coleen tucked her arms back on the book and sipped at her malt. Gosh, this place was so good.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen smiled and looked down at the table.

"I didn't really get anything you just said," she responded to Enza's activities, "but um, yeah! See you there, then."

Coleen fell quiet and nursed on her drink, wanting her own activities to fall by the wayside. Truth be told, she wouldn't be able to stay much longer since she only intended to have the drink and then she'd have to be on her way home to finish studying the last couple of scenes of Fiddler that needed polishing. She had to do well, especially since Cameron and Enza would be there to watch her. It wasn't especially motivating more than she was already driven, realistically. After all, she was intent on putting on a show for the hundreds of people who attended these things, including her parents and other close friends. Still, that was two more on the pile, so it had to count for something.

Having set herself down to her business of finishing her drink, Coleen was looking for the casual way out. She'd have a few more minutes to listen to whatever, finish the malt, and then she'd have to high-tail it, but she wanted it to appear as natural and smooth as possible so it didn't look like she was bailing or anything.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen half-smiled apologetically towards Enza. Just because she didn't understand anything about this internet stuff Enza was into didn't mean that she wasn't interested in what they had to say. Cameron was so excited about the designs she had concocted that it was hard... practically impossible, even, to say no to her. Coleen gave it a once over, sure to expect the avante-garde or wild, but even with her high expectations was a little astounded by how off the wall Cameron's work actually was.

She figured that it must have been for the stage. If the earlier conversation and the pictures were any indication, Cameron liked to get a little wild. That was fine. If anything, it meant she'd be more likely to be appreciative of all the arts in all their forms, so their little date on Thursday was already looking pretty good.

"Oh, shoot, I should finish this up," Coleen said as planned, eagerly sucking down the last few drops of her malt. "I need to finish up some memorization. Um... see you guys then, uh, then!" Offering a friendly wave, Coleen scooped up her backpack and her screenplay, heading for the door.

((Coleen Reagan, continued elsewhere))
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Cheryl's · Next Topic »
Add Reply