Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Black River
Topic Started: Jul 3 2015, 06:40 PM (1,449 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Vincenzo Gatti continue from Puddles))

Today was A Girl Day (capitals necessary). There were girl days and guy days and sometimes neither, less often both. Today, however, was Girl with the large G.

Enzo couldn't really explain how the moods came and went. She suspected that if she could tell, then she would have published some kind of doctorate paper, or something. Doctor Gatti. Vincenza Gatti PHD. Vinny, master of ceremonies.

...In any case it had been stressful the entire time she'd been at school, for all the wrong reasons. Someone had seen fit to drop a little remark Enzo's way, and even though she didn't usually let that kind of thing get to her, the way that the guy had said it - the fact that it wasn't even someone that Enzo knew... well, she hadn't come as far as she had by being thin-skinned, but sometimes, you just got worn down.

She'd felt a little wobbly for the rest of the afternoon, at one point had almost felt on the verge of crying until she'd pushed it away with a surge of frustration and anger. Enza had been keeping ahead of the haters and the bigots for far too long to let just one idiot freshman upset her, right?

Still, Vinny had felt the need to vent, and that's why she'd arranged to meet up with Cameron after school. Cameron got it, in a kind of shit-talking way, though in this case, that was actually what she was after. She needed to just be with someone where neither of them needed to care about being offensive.

Enza tugged idly at the hem of her skirt as she stepped into Cheryl's, catching sight of Cameron straight away, but stopping a moment to adjust as her glasses' sun filter dropped off. That done, she headed on over, flopping down opposite.

"Sup, Sardine?"
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hearing the nickname was enough to make Vincenza crack a smile. Cameron was one of very few who actually turned the whole nickname thing back around on her; most of the time folks just seemed to accept it as one of the weird and wonderful things that she did. Enza reckoned that more people should try it. Much more fun than just using all the same labels as everyone else.

"Like a dagger to my heart," Enza gasped melodramatically, gazing at the coffee cup like it was the most tragic thing that she'd ever seen in her life. She did, of course, have that flair for theatrics. If she didn't have such a full extra-cirricular dancecard, then Vinny would have seriously considered adding drama to the list. But nah. Spreading herself too thin would just mean not getting enough done on any one thing, like scraping too little butter across too much bread.

"Me?" Vincenza let out a long sigh. "Been better. People are being shitty mcshits. They are in fact being so shitty, it is as if they are having a competition to see who can shit up the bowl the most," she looked down at her hands, taking a second to just rattle her fingernails on the table. "It's just the usual, you know? Stupid bullshit from stupid people who can't take two seconds to get it in their heads that not everything is this or that or..." Vinny forced herself to breathe, knowing that she was getting worked up and developing into a full on rant. "I'm just tired of it. Sorry that I don't fit in your fucking boxes, I guess."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Someone laughed from behind her. Enza's eyebrows went up, and then furrowed. Swear to god, if someone was taking the piss out of her, she was gonna start punting people down staircases.

Vincenza tried - and mostly succeeded - to withhold a glare as she twisted around to see exactly who was there. A brief second of confusion later, and then the long hair swept across the face clicked. Right, Coleen, right. She was pretty quiet, not really someone that Vinny brushed shoulders with too often. There was, of course, the obvious distinguishing feature... but to be frank Enza was the last person that was going to take issue with appearances. Hell, in some ways, the gnarly scarring across Coleen's face was pretty damn cool... though it was probably cooler to look at than, well, y'know... have it.

...She probably hadn't thought that through very well, come to think of it.

Vincenza opened her mouth for an introduction, and then Cameron did it for her. In the best possible way. Enza couldn't keep a broad grin from spreading across her face. This, this was why she'd needed to meet up with Cameron today.

Tipping an imaginary hat to Coleen, Vinny bowed her head, flashing a smile. "'allo, Goomba."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron agreed to letting Coleen sit there, and Vinny nodded along, giving a slight gesture towards the open spot on the table. It... okay it wasn't entirely ideal, but she could deal with it. Coleen clearly wasn't an asshat, although Enza would have rather just, y'know, been able to fixate all of her ranting at Cameron and not have to worry about offending someone else's delicate sensibilities.

While Coleen moved over and Cameron got to conversation, Enza hailed a waitress and ordered a coke. Something sugary and caffeinated to perk her up sounded good right about now. Looking back to the others, Enza gave a little shrug.

"Sorry, Goomba, you've walked in on my special snowflake hour," she smiled wryly. "Usually I'm more cheerful and less cussy. But people have been shit today. Very shit."

A vague gesture to the dress. "Guess we have some fashion criminals around school."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'd like to think maybe one day, folks could just wear what they want without needing to worry about what other people think. 'Course, I could say the same thing for all that fun pronoun stuff and-" Enza cut herself off, blinking, and then let out an abrupt laugh.

"Sorry, I'm ranting, aren't I?" she leaned back, tucking both hands behind her head. "Kingman probably isn't ready for these post-gender ideas. I'll stick to the internet."

Vinny's smile turned melancholy for an instant. While it was true she had a lot of friends amongst her own age group, sometimes it struck her as, well, sad that her on-camera persona could expect more favourable reactions than being herself where she actually lived. Sure, interacting with people online was great, especially if they were fans of her stuff, but that was never quite the same as face to face.

"Tiny monkey brains," Enza repeated, and laughed again. "I like that. You guys should turn that into a song," a slight glint in the eyes. "Pff. Like I'd go back to the sixties. They didn't even have cameraphones. I'd say you'd fit in, what with music going back in years... but Peyote would probably give folks back then a freaking heart attack and..." her eyes fixed at a point at the wall, both distracted and focused all at once. "...That totally gives me an idea for a vine."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, she'd need to enlist some help for that particular idea. Enza needed a few people to play the part of swooning sixties puritans, for it to work. Maybe tomorrow at school? Lunch break, or free period, possibly. There'd be enough people that she knew and could sell on it around, she was sure. Vinny was pretty good at being persuasive when she needed to be. Wheedling, anyway. And there was always the incentive of being in a little video that might get looped thousands of times, right?

Fame and - not really fortune. Not really fame, actually, come to think of it.

Attention and kudos?

Needed work.

Another smile played across Enza's face. She could appreciate Peyote's music, and it helped that she had a vested interest in the band. The actual singing-songwriting part, though, Enza left to the professionals. She could jam a bit and that was more or less good enough for her. She didn't really have the patience to hammer at words with a crowbar into they assembled themselves into a song. Performance was more for Vinny.

The waitress swung back around with the drinks. Enza got ahold of her coke, raised it in a mock toast.

"Oh, yeah," Vinny intoned seriously. "They're kind of a big deal. Sell out stadiums."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Enza caught Cameron's slightly low-key muttering, and favoured her with a wink, scooting over slightly so that she could glance at the pictures over Coleen's shoulder. Wasn't anything that Vinny hadn't seen before - in person, even, but it brought a fond smile to her face nonetheless. Was nice to see the band rocking out - good memories of good gigs, right?

She looked where Coleen was pointing, half smiled, half bit her lip. "That's Brady, he's the babe," Enza stopped in her tracks, grimaced, pinched her nose. "And please don't say that around any Korean-looking folks. He has some family that would... maybe have issues with him and me. Well, not maybe. They really, really would. Like 'kick you out of the family' levels of issues," a rueful grin. "And on that cheerful note - yeah, they're great."

Cameron didn't so much proceed to lighten the mood as obliterate it from orbit.

Enza spluttered out laughing. "Sardine! The hell kind of thing is that to say to someone?"
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron - quite rightfully so - melted down in utmost embarrassment.

Good.

Like, not to be vindictive or anything, but after saying something like that, realising the foul should give anyone at least a little bit of pause. And, honestly, if Cameron was the kind of person not to feel bad about the faux pas, then she probably wouldn't be the kind of person that Enza liked hanging around in the first place.

Still, she clearly did feel bad about it, so no need to ride Cameron too badly. Vinny tried to keep her friends in line, pointed out when they were overstepping the mark... but she also liked to think that she wasn't the type to go on and on about it. Enza had enough problems of her own without stirring up more amongst people who were usually well meaning.

"Nope," said Enza, straight-face. "Committed to the humiliation box for all time. Will be used for blackmail material when you become rich and famous."

At that point, Vinny's attention flipped back to Coleen, modestly curious herself about the answer to Cameron's question.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Enza sipped slowly from her coke and sat back, allowing the conversation to flow around her. At Coleen's mention of musical theatre, Vinny hummed a few bars of 'Fame' under her breath, before smirking. That was, actually, one of few stage shows she was familiar with. Burning out in the pursuit of fame and fortune? Sign her the hell up.

"Theatre's cool," a shrug. "I like being in front of the camera, but that's just goofing off for me. Takes dedication to be in a play."

Leaning forward again, Enza propped up her chin on her hands, eyeing Cameron. She'd warmed up to Coleen right quick... Enza had to wonder whether her friend had something in mind.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was good to see Coleen looking excited - a pleasant surprise, actually. Cameron cramming her foot lengthways into her mouth was, it seemed, forgiven. Vinny, as a rule, didn't tend to allow themselves to dwell on things, but Enza did allow herself a brief moment to reflect, ruefully, that she knew very well how much a careless word could hurt. At least Cameron just hadn't thought before she spoke, rather than being intentionally malicious.

Enza hadn't expected an invitation to be the result of this little excursion. After a moment, though, she noted that she did actually feel better. She wasn't fuming any more, at least. What did they say about good company lifting the spirits? Actually, Enza wasn't sure they did say anything like that. She might have just made it up. In which case, they did say something about -

Vinny hid a laugh in another sip of coke. Explaining inside-head humour was usually more trouble than it was worth, in Enza's experience. Instead she just nodded. There was definitely something to be said for a finished product. There was a hell of a feeling of satisfaction to it. Well, if it was good.

A rub of the chin, a shrug.

"Well I usually stream in the evenings, but I can probably squeeze in an hour of that Pokémon romhack after school, then free up the rest of the night," she flashed Coleen a wink. "Maybe me and Sardine should get PAs, eh, Goomba? Organise our busy celebrity lifestyles."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Enza laughed out loud.

"Don't worry, I get that a lot-" Cameron cut in with confirmation. Enza mimed shooting her with two outstretched fingers.

She didn't tend to mind; being buried somewhere in the internet for most of her hobbies could alienate folks now and then, and Vinny was pretty used to being polarising. Take her or leave her, she supposed.

Enza leaned in with interest as Cameron presented the design.

"Slick. Just don't get paint on your headgear, Sardine. Would ruin the horror show effect."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen extricated herself, Enza gave a little wave. Well, it hadn't been exactly what she'd intended, but she was feeling better now, so she could call it a net win.

Another half hour or so passed talking about all manner of inane chatter, the subject never so important as the company.

"Hey, Sardine?" she said, as she was about to leave. "I'm gonna get all sappy on you. Thanks, I needed today."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cheryl's · Next Topic »
Add Reply