Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Tyranny of Grocery Bags; Open!
Topic Started: Jul 3 2015, 02:59 PM (797 Views)
Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jane Madison continued from The Theatrics Formula))

The park was really beautiful; it was calm and tranquil and all those other nice-sounding words. On a nice (and unusually warm) winter day like this, Jane would've loved to come by and read for a bit just to relax and unwind.

Unfortunately for her, today was not one of those days.

Not only had she been made to vacuum the entire house, but she'd also done the dishes from last night (her mother had gone off to bed early citing a migraine, never mind that she'd been fine a few minutes ago), do the laundry, and move around the living room furniture as mom tried to spice up the feng shui or whatever. She'd then been forced by necessity to go grocery shopping, which meant she had to walk half a mile to the store because dad was at work and had the car.

And to top it all off, Jane still had to go to work tonight and finish her homework by the end of tomorrow. So despite the day's lovely springlike weather, she was not in a good mood. She was stressed and frustrated that things kept popping up this close to graduation when she already had a million things going on and she still needed to work on scholarship stuff and homework had been piling up all week and she was-

"Motherfucker!" Jane snarled as one of the four grocery bags she was carrying slipped from her fingers and dropped to the ground. While it was thankfully not the one with the milk or the one with the eggs, the cans and box of pasta spilled everywhere, rolling down the sidewalk and into the grace. "Urgh!" She groaned, resisting the urge to throw the other bags.

Counting to 10 in her head had never been helpful to Jane, but cursing was. So she said another, "Fuck!" and set down the rest of her bags down before dropping to her knees and gathering up the non-perishables she'd bought. From her own money. Because mom had spent the grocery money for the week on new silverware.

Did Jane mention she was in a bad mood? Because this was not her week, it seemed.
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jane's head snapped up upon hearing her name. When she saw the speaker, she had to resist the urge to snarl at him. She recognized him from school, Brendan something. He was one of those shy kids, she didn't know him well. Really, it was odd he spoke up at all. Then again, who was she to judge?

Anyway, him offering to help out was a nice thing to do, so she didn't bite his head off. "Yeah, sure. Thanks." She said, trying to keep her frustration out of her voice. When her temper flared, she tended to lash out for no good reason. God, she needed to fix that. How was she going to get by if she blew up at people?

Jane pushed the thought away. She had enough to worry about besides her potential character flaws.

Scrounging around, Jane picked up a can and put it back in the bag before looking back to the boy. "Well?" She said, raising one eyebrow.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
After Jane, with Brendan's help, sorted out the rest of her dropped groceries and gathered them haphazardly into one of her plastic bags, she stood up and hiked the back over her shoulder. She was feeling a little less freaked out, and a little embarrassed, too. She was getting so freaked out over stupid crap, when really she just needed to let go a little stress.

Brendan's comment on the day's quietness resonated with Jane, but it was also kind of a 'how's the weather' sort of thing. Kinda awkward, you know? And his followup wasn't exactly earning him points. Poor kid, he was definitely one of those shy kids. "Yeah, I guess." She said, humoring him. "I guess you know me, already. I'm Jane." She forced a smile.

"It's fine. Thanks for the help." Jane tilted her head and looked up at the boy. He was super-tall, lanky and kind of awkward physically. He seemed shy. "So what're you doing here? Taking a walk?"

Hopefully that helped. Jane felt bad for shy kids.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Aw, he was so shy it was kind of cute. "No, it's fine, I like walking too. Unfortunately, that's not why I'm here!" Jane chuckled, looking down at her now collected groceries. It was nice that he'd helped her out, after all. She shouldn't give him a hard time for being insecure. Hell, wasn't she just being insecure a moment ago? What with the whole 'I can't handle this!' crap she was going on about? "Yeah, I do the theater. Mostly backstage stuff, but-"

An approaching person caught her eye.

Oh god. It was Caedyn Miller.

Caedyn was one of those people. Jane hated them. They were in your face at all times, jumped to conclusions at the drop of a hat, and caused chaos for kicks. Plus, Jane was pretty sure Caedyn was a furry, which was just creepy. They...did not get along, especially because Caedyn was actually a decent actress. Well, better than Jane.

"Um, excuse me." Jane said coolly, sliding the grocery bag into the crook of her elbow to brush off her blouse. Caedyn was trying to push her buttons, but Jane recognized it from a mile away. She knew full well that she looked fine, so no point letting it get to her. "I picked up groceries because I have responsibilities to attend to."

She turned to Brendan. "His name is Brendan, and he was nice enough to help out when I dropped a bag."

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
...Wait what?

Was she seriously insinuating that Brendan and Jane were...no way. That was just...no! Not that Brendan was awful or anything, but really? That required a level of jumping that would make a kangaroo blush. What on earth was...oh, wait, it was Caedyn. Therefore, it was safe to assume she was either A: Being an idiot, or B: trying to set her off on purpose.

Either way, it pissed Jane off. Who did she think she was? "Seriously, you just have to butt in on people, don't you? What's up with that?" Jane stepped towards Caedyn, her face contorting into a snarl. "No, we're not dating, and no, you can't call me a "little people", like, what is this?! Uggh." Jane groaned, and rolled her eyes at the other girl.

Then, just as she was about to speak, Jane realized what she'd done. Caedyn was trying to set her off. And it had worked.

Crap.

Suddenly blushing, Jane stepped away from the other girl and moved next to Brendan, trying to keep herself from breathing too heavily. Damn it all, she just had to open her mouth.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jane let out an angry growl and stomped the ground while clenching her hands into fists. She was pissed. She was furious. How dare that trashy little bitch do this to her? Make her look like an idiot, mock her and demean her and make up lies about her! Ugh, who did she think she was?! It made Jane mad.

No, no it didn't.

Jane sniffled, suddenly. She wanted, very unexpectedly, to cry. She wasn't mad, she realized, or not just mad. She was humiliated; her stomach hurt, she felt like crying. Fuck if she was going to cry, but she kind of wanted to. She felt like an idiot; Caedyn had played her like a piano, and Jane fell for it like a moron. An idiot. Stupid little Jane, letting someone push all her buttons like a computer.

"I hate her." Jane muttered.

Then she snarled, "I hate her!" and whipped around to Brendan. He was a victim too, but it was hard to feel sympathetic for him when the situation was far more personally directed towards Jane. She went to speak, but then went silent. A moment passed. She didn't want to blow up on him, poor guy.

Taking a deep breath, Jane said, "Caedyn's a bitch. Thanks for the help. See you later." Then she left, still fuming.

((Jane Madison continued in For a Film))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Liberty Park · Next Topic »
Add Reply