Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Night Shift; open
Topic Started: Jun 16 2015, 12:31 AM (1,011 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara hummed quietly to herself, drumming her pen against the countertop as she stared down at the blank page in front of her. She stopped all at once in an annoyed sigh and lounged back on her stool, staring at the flickering halogen light near the men's bathroom in the back. 12:30 a.m. and not a soul in sight, not by the coolers stacked with beers and sodas and not in the aisles crammed full of eight hundred kinds of junk food. A typical Tuesday night for Kingman, particularly at her little Gas'n'Go.

Technically she wasn't supposed to be writing on the job, but Nate wasn't going to fire her about it and go through the hassle of hiring another night-shift clerk he could actually rely on. Anyways it didn't count if she couldn't think of anything to write.

She grimaced and started spinning the pen like a baton between her fingers. It abruptly clattered to the ground, and she stared at it with her lips pursed. Metaphor for the whole night, really..

It was such a good concept! A short story anthology set in a yoga studio as a framing device, with every person in attendance having their own short story dedicated to them. The problem was, she couldn't think of any stories she liked! She could make it ridiculous--one protagonist with a Lovecraftian backstory, another living as Lucy after Narnia--but every time she tried it didn't feel real.

She grimaced and hopped off her stool so she could grab her pen.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara jerked her head up as the door swung open. She'd been working here a long time and had almost never had trouble, but little paranoid thoughts always floated through her head on night shift, sure that this one would be the robber, this one would point a gun at her and-

She blinked as she recognized the kid standing in the doorway. Someone from school. Herod? No, that couldn't be right. No one would name themselves after a Biblical child-killer, would they?

We did have a president called Abraham.

"Uh," she started. "Hey."
Edited by Grim Wolf, Jun 17 2015, 09:02 PM.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara blinked at him. She looked around the empty convenience store, then back to Herod. She pointed to the little cooler of sandwiches a little ways in front of her counter. "Okay," she said. "Did you...did you want to pick a particular one, or..."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara stared at Herod. Was he high? He seemed high. Not that she could blame him if he was. What the hell else were you supposed to do in Kingman.

"Uh, sure," she said, extending a hand for the sandwich so she could ring it up. "What's keeping you out this late?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara stared at him. "What am I..." she repeated. "I work here, man. Jobs like you to show up for your shifts. It's sorta the core concept of capitalism. Or, y'know. Life."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Someone intrude in the conversation. Tara turned to stare at him, but she barely heard what he was saying. She was baffled. How had he managed to sneak up on them? The counter was by the glass doors. Yet somehow he'd managed to walk in and hear her talking to Herod during their...transaction? Conversation? What was she supposed to call this exchange? How had she failed to notice him? Was she really that spaced out?

Well, it was her third night on the clock.

Tara grimaced and said, "I'm workin' here. Better question is, what are all of you, doing here?" She gestured towards the back of the store. "We got all kinds of juice. Only like the 20 ounce ones, though. You're not lookin' for something bigger, are you?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara rolled her eyes and grabbed the sandwich out of Herod's hand, running it over the scanner. "$5.67," she said. Her eyes followed the bill and narrowed slightly; there was something arrogant in that gesture, an easy confidence like he came by his money easily. She didn't like it. It seemed to be a subtly way of spitting on what she was doing.

It clicked for her then; her slight and constant discomfort from the moment he'd come in. He didn't seem to understand why she would work. It was why she felt angry with him; this blunt lack of understanding and empathy. He couldn't understand why someone would want a job like this, that paid a little better and gave them the time they needed and kept them away from her mother.

She plucked the bill out of his hand, forcing herself to be the consummate professional--cold, remote, efficient. She wanted him to feel dismissed. She wanted him to feel like she had no regard for him as a person.

"$14.33," she said, pushing the change across the counter towards him and giving him a wolf's smile.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He stared at the change in front of him. She stared at the change. Then he put two more bills on the counter, and left with a "good evening" and a "see you later."

"Wait!" she called, too late. He was already out the door. Tara stared after him, blinking between the money on the counter and the other boy with her this evening.

"Uh..." she stared, staring at the money. "This was...he just paid 30 dollars for a 5 dollar sandwich." She stared at the money. "I don't...what do I...?"

This was turning into one of her weirder shifts.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara grimaced. "Yeah," she said. "I'm really looking forward to playing Abraham Lincoln." Huh, two Lincoln references in one night. She wondered if that had any significance.

She grabbed one of the apple juices and ran it through six times. She blinked. "Huh," she said. "11 dollars even." She looked over the juices. "Are you just really thirsty?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"1.69 times 6," Tara said. "Comes out about right, I think." She waited as he told her why he'd shown up at this hour, and handed her the money a sing-song lilt that somehow managed to not be annoying. Tara smiled. It softened her hard, sleep-lined face, smoothed it out so she looked a little less cynical. "That's sweet," she said, taking the bills and handing him back four singles. Then she glanced over at the little pile of money Conrad had left.

"Do you have any classes with him?" she asked. "I don't know what his schedule is."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Student council? That wasn't a bad tip. "Okay," she said. "Thanks." Without much further ado, Ben turned and left. "Uh, see you," she managed, before he vanished out the door. She grimaced after him, then dug through the money on the counter. All of this had to go back to him. Another task she didn't want.

She sighed and leaned down on the counter, pulling out her old Wal-Mart gophone with a proper SIM card installed. One hour to go.

It was gonna be a long night.

(Tara Behzad continued in Aurum Fuscum)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Nov 26 2015, 03:14 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Events/Other · Next Topic »
Add Reply