Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cruising and Perusing
Topic Started: Jun 4 2015, 07:17 PM (783 Views)
Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
SAMUEL HOWARD: PREGAME START

Larson's wasn't a place Samuel frequented. He didn't even go outside much at all, save for the occasional errands or trip to the local library. Even then, he only passed through downtown Kingman on his way home, not bothering to visit any of the stores that lined the streets. Today Samuel just happened to be bored, and as he passed by Larson's while on errands he figured that it wouldn't hurt to pop in and take a look at what they offered.

So he found himself inside Larson's Comics and Games, browsing the graphic novels section. Samuel didn't usually read graphic novels. He'd rather read a book, and found it much more satisfying to imagine the story himself rather than look at pictures provided for him. It wasn't that he disliked them: he enjoyed some good visuals, and if the story was intriguing he'd probably given a chance. Besides, he hadn't seen many graphic novels in his life, since Cochise's library was lacking in everything and he'd never noticed the graphic novels section at the local library.

Samuel's fingers traced the spines, inspecting titles and looking out for anything interesting. At least graphic novels were longer than comics, with a lot more story to take in all at once. Samuel loved long books, which to him were indicative of more story and detail. It was also why he loved book series, focusing on the same characters or setting over the span of many books. The bigger the better, Samuel thought as he kept an eye out for a large chunk of graphic novels with the same title.

One in particular caught his eye. He took it off the shelf, turning it over in his hands and inspecting the cover.

The Hedge Knight, huh?
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Open to constructive criticism!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was based on Game of Thrones. Samuel had read some of the books a while back, when the show was just getting popular. It was nice, it had a nice setting, but he hadn't continued reading. He'd been meaning to, but it had slipped his mind. Samuel figured it wouldn't hurt to delve back into the world of Westeros. While he was at it, he might as pick up the series aga-

Jesus Christ!

Samuel jumped, whirling around to see another kid standing near him. The face was vaguely familiar - probably someone from school, an underclassmen or something. The kid looked like the brooding type, dressed in all black with a hairstyle you'd associate with the angsty loner who sat in the back of the classroom and glowered at people. A look that clashed with his chipper demeanor. It was almost unsettling.

He stared at the other kid before coming to his senses. "Uh..hi." He said, giving a small wave with his free hand. In response to the boy's question, Samuel raised up the book. "Er, it's called the Hedge Knight. Just picked it up, actually." He looked down and read the summary on the back. Something about two squires adventuring, typical fantasy fare. The setting was interesting, at least. He wondered what Westeros was like in the past. Definitely worth a read.

"It seems...good."
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
"It's about a knight and his squire adventuring across Westeros. Y'know, the Game of Thrones place." Samuel explained. "Pretty cliche plot, but an interesting setting." The other boy then introduced himself as Henry: a name he'd heard around school once or twice, but didn't make him any more familiar. For all intents and purposes, Henry was still just someone from school. Or, someone from school he ran into at Larson's. "Why I'm here? Well..."

He was cut off by Henry calling out to someone else, presumably another Cochise student he didn't notice was here. The name was much more familiar to Samuel's ears, though. He and Kimiko were in the same grade, and you knew people your age way better than you did underclassmen. He knew she was short and athletic and pretty smart, though they didn't have much in common so she was an acquaintance at best. She liked comics, so it was no surprise she at Larson's.

He gave a nod of acknowledgement to her in reply before turning back to Henry. "As I was saying, I was just...kinda bored today, I guess. And I was passing by, so I figured I'd pop in." He shrugged. "I'm not normally a big of a fan of graphic novels, but I might as well give it a try."
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Huh. He and Henry had something in common. The fact that he dressed like a goth made a lot more sense. But in Samuel's opinion, he didn't think that Game of Thrones needed more horror. The tragic drama suited the show well, and the show would be fine without it. Samuel enjoyed the fantasy elements as-is, though he wasn't opposed to more horror in the show. It just did well without it.

Samuel nodded along to Henry's rambling, and he had to at least admire his attempts at including Kimiko in the conversation. There was a pause as she typed out her response on her phone, recommending some comics to Henry. His next question was just...dumb, to be honest. Did he even know where he was? "Er, you do know what Larson's sells, right?" He asked, indicating around him. "It's all comics and tabletop gaming resources. There's probably a bookstore down the street, or maybe you could check the library. Either way, there's no books here."
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Samuel hadn't heard of the book Henry mentioned, but he made a mental note to check it out later. The two of them had similar tastes, so maybe it was worth looking into. He just shook his head when Henry asked if they'd heard of it, and part of him wanted him to leave to go find his book. But instead, he asked about their 'senior stuff' and their plans after high school. He didn't know what he meant by senior stuff, and he was caught off guard by the next question. Kimiko shrugged but typed out her response on her phone, holding it up for the two of them to see. He had to lean over to read what she had typed.

The Olympics, huh? Kimiko definitely her eyes set on lofty aspirations, and her ambition was admirable. Samuel didn't know that she did gymnastics, but if she was set on the Olympics she was probably working hard towards that goal. His plans, on the other hand...

"Well then," he said, standing up straight. "Mine aren't nearly as glamorous as that. I dunno, I'm probably just going to work straight out of high school," Samuel admitted. "I'm not well-suited for college, y'see. Don't think it'd help me."
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Henry sympathized with his views on higher education while wishing Kimiko good luck on fighting sexism in the Olympics. Samuel couldn't think of any ways the modern Olympics were misogynist off the top of his head, so she should be fine. Henry went on before turning his attention to a graphic novel that caught his eye, breaking the conversation.

He wasn't sure what to think of Henry. While they apparently held the same interests, Henry ran his mouth far too much for his liking. Besides, he was an underclassmen and he was graduating in a few months anyway, so it was a little too late to be making friends in high school.

He noticed Kimiko hold up the novels she was holding and point towards the desk. Samuel got the message, and nodded in acknowledgement as she excused herself. He looked down at the Hedge Knight, which was still in his hand. It didn't hurt to get it, so he may as well follow suit.
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
He waved back at Kimiko as she left, leaving him and Henry in the shop. Henry was still absorbed with the book he'd picked up, and Samuel took this as an opportunity to leave. He paid for the comic and skimmed the opening pages as he stepped outside.

...opening with a burial? This should be good.

((Samuel Howard continued in TROUBLE))
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Larson's Comics and Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply