Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rays on Pinion; Open
Topic Started: May 19 2015, 01:04 PM (864 Views)
Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hem in the seed
Water to salt
Salt to rai-
BEEP

((Cameron Herrig: Start))

Cameron's head snapped right to see a car sitting right in front of her. She offered up a sheepish grin and apologetic wave to the unamused driver and then quickly jogged the rest of way across the road. Nearly getting run over was really not the way to start things off. It was a good sign for the rest of the shopping trip. If Cameron was going to be honest, she didn't need to go shopping at all. But it beat being in the house. Her parents were in amazing form as roughly two bites into breakfast some argument had broken out over who had or hadn't done the washing the night before. Ever since they'd decided on divorcing the arguments had become more and more routine. Sadly even though it was becoming routine that didn't lessen the impact of hearing her parents yell their hate at one another. She unconsciously scratched her right wrist, feeling the scars of her time self-harming. A reminder of the last time.

Bad memories all around and her parents seemed intent on remixing it all in time for her final terms. They were always so considerate. So instead of staying stuck in her room Cameron had decided to escape by going shopping. Shopping for absolutely nothing, but it was better than being at home. She did have a mental list of places she wanted to go though. It was all of two shops long but that was hardly the point. If anything it was the most planning she'd done all week. First stop, as always, was the record store. The fact there was even a record store still going in Kingman was a minor miracle. But in terms of getting music that wasn't going to be in the big retail chains it was good, that may have been why it was still in business actually.

Pushing the door open Cameron stepped into the musical wonderland. It was a typical record store in every aspect, rows upon rows of CD's, sorted into genres, vinyls in the corner for people who liked to pretend they were old school and even some tapes, for people who were actually old school. Cameron smiled at the cashier and then made her way over into the metal section. She had the same routine every time. Metal, rock, alt, then vinyl’s because sometimes you could find something they didn't have on CD but never tapes. The tape player in the basement had died on her the year prior and there was no way it was coming back. Instead she'd been working on trying to get her favourite tapes in either CD form or off iTunes. There were only a handful she really wanted, like Rust in Peace and that had been easy enough to find digitally but she really wanted it in CD form. So she started flicking through the CD's on display, looking for anything that seemed interesting. While making sure to keep an eye out for Rust in Peace of course.
Kimiko Kao - - - - - - - The Lagniappe
Travis "Trav" Lynch - - They Stumbled Into Faith and Thought
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Shock Me

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There were a few interesting looking things but nothing that made her think she had to have it. Then she saw Torche's new album Restarter. She knew it was coming out at the beginning of the year but hadn't been expecting to see it in the store. She had to have it. There was no question. Cameron picked it up and started to look through the song list, she had heard a couple of them on YouTube and they were good. If the rest of the album was like them then it was a winner. Not that she doubted Torche, they were an amazing band and always released good stuff.

Cameron looked up when she heard someone greet her. She automatically assumed it was her because she was the only other living creature in the store that wasn't the cashier. The person greeting her was Al...Al...shit. She'd forgotten, it was a super awkward situation because he had actually been to their shows before. The first two letters of his name were A and L though. So Cameron was comfortable enough with just calling him Al and using that to coast through the conversation.

She waved back at him. "Hey Al. What you picking up?" She pointed at the CD he had in his hand as she spoke. "Hopefully it isn't One Direction, otherwise I'm going to have to ask you to stop talking to me." She grinned to make it obvious she was joking, although she did hope it wasn't One Direction or something like Cannibal Corpse. You had to set standards somewhere.

V5
Unknowns
"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail. You can choose to succeed."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He almost had her when he said he had a Justin Bieber. Turned out it was just Hendrix, Cameron could appreciate that. It was a good album and the cover art alone was worth the price of admission. It was no Are You Experienced or Electric Ladyland but still very good.In short Cameron approved.

"Good choice." She said with a smile. Holding up the Torche CD so Al could see it as part of her answer for his question. "It's Torche's new album. I'm a big fan of them so it was cool to find."

She span the CD between her palms as she thought about what to say. It was awkward because she had never really spoken to Al and had no idea what he was like as a person.

"So anyway, what kind of music do you like? Anything in particular or just a bit of everything?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Favorite guitarist, Cameron tapped the CD case against her chin as she thought about her response. Wes Borland was one everyone thought of thanks to the body painting, but she'd never made that connection until after she'd started performing.

"My current favorites were probably Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher of Mastodon." She said, pointing to one of the bands albums that was visible on the shelves. "They do some really cool stuff every single time and their riffs are amazing." Holding up her left wrist Cameron let Al see the Mastodon bandanna she had tied around it. "Seen them live too, it was the most fucking awesome thing ever." Hold on, did he say she played the guitar well? That was a pretty cool thing to hear from a classmate, even if it was someone who liked the band. "Thanks for the compliment as well." She said with a smile, it felt pretty damn good.

"What about you, who's your fave?"

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He didn't have a favorite, that was fair enough. He was also right, there were a lot of good guitarists out there. So Cameron could understand not being able to choose a favorite.

Cameron turned when a girl almost walked into her. She was tiny in basically every way you could imagine. Short, thin, no visible breasts or ass. Could have been a child for all Cameron knew, aside from the voice giving that game away. She laughed when the girl apologized for the heinous crime of nearly walking into her.

"It's all good shorty. You didn't actually hit me and I'm not sure you would have hurt me." Cameron grinned. "You look a bit on the light side." Cameron scratched behind her ear using the CD case, they were versatile tools for scratching that was for sure. The girl was kind of adorable with the whole look she had going on, very "shy girl" stuff. "So, what's your name then?"

Not like Cameron had anything better to do today.

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alice huh? That was two people whose name began with A and L that she'd met. Alice thought she looked familiar, Cameron couldn't blame her, a lot of people recognized her. It was also funny because most of those people didn't really know why they recognized her. It was hard for them to put two and two together. Most people couldn't reconcile the picture or video of her performing with the person standing in front of them. Maybe it was the lack of body paint since that was how most people tended to get their first exposure to her.

Cameron grinned. "Yeah I go to Cochise. Name's Cameron and I think I have a good idea where you know me from." It was weird sometimes; she had a kind of pseudo-fame around Cochise. Some people knew who she was exclusively because she was in a band and they found that cool. Whereas others had only the faint idea of who she actually was through either seeing pictures of her or hearing her name. It was always fun to see how people knew her though.

She wasn't even the most well-known member that would be Vanessa. It was to be expected since she was the frontman, handling both lead guitar and vocals. Not that Cameron minded she was perfectly happy to just riff away in her corner. Although going up to the audience was always an awesome experience. Everyone seemed to get a kick out of the weird guitarist covered in paint going up to them. Sometimes the reaction was stronger than others, although the regulars always liked her switching up the paint design per show, it was effort but it was worth it.

"So take a guess."

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
She got it in one. Cameron gave Alice a small bow. "I am in a band. It's called Peyote Coyote." She held up a finger as an idea went through her head. "In fact...give me a second." Cameron riffled through her pocket with her free hand, grabbing her phone she pulled it out. She slid her thumb across the screen to unlock it and opened up her gallery. She was looking for a specific photo her mom had sent her after one of their gigs; they'd just been the opening act and had all of three songs. But that wasn't the point. The photo was by one of the professional photographers that had been present and made her look like one of the most awesome guitarists that had ever existed. In her opinion.

It was a shot of her mid-solo, her hair was hanging down her back and shoulders but her face was clearly visible. That night she'd decided to paint herself up in a darker theme than normal. The base was a dark brown red colour and over the top she had painted cracks with eyes visible, to make it more interesting the type of eye changed, there was human eyes, cat eyes, lizard eyes etc. It had taken her a long time to do it but the end result was one of her proudest moments.

"Here." She held the phone up to Alice so she could see the picture. "This is probably why it’s hard for you to recognize me. I'm normally painted up as different things. It throws people off. I've also been a bee and a melting rainbow among other things." Once she was sure Alice had been able to get a decent look she withdrew the phone and placed it back into her pocket. She was always proud of anything she did with Peyote Coyote. Including the name, she had suggested it half-jokingly but the others had liked it enough to stick with it. People seemed to like it too, so that always made her feel good about herself.

Cameron was pretty happy with how the trip to the record store was going but she'd have to move on at some stage, maybe stop by Vanessa's or give BB a call. She didn't see the harm in staying to see what Alice's response to Al's question was though. It wasn't as if she was missing anything at home.

V5
Unknowns

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cameron smiled when Alice complimented her picture. It was always fun to see people react to what she did with genuine amazement. It made her feel good about what she was doing. It wasn't that she performed for the benefit of others because that wasn't true. She performed for herself above everything else. That was never going to change. But it was always cool to her when other people liked what she was doing. It meant she was doing it the right way.

"Prodigy? Yeah they're an electronic group from England; I have some of their stuff in my basement. I think some people call them big beat." Along with almost every other genre and artist of music that had ever been popular ever. If there was one thing her parents agreed on it was that music was one of the best things humanity had ever produced. The basement of their house was full to the brim with boxes full of CDs, tapes, vinyl’s and more. Cameron had basically turned the basement into her own private den. She was essentially the curator of her families’ large music collection, not that she minded.

Cameron still had the Torche album in her hand. The more she held it, the more she wanted to go home and listen to it. To that end she decided it would be best to make her purchase and move on.

"Anyway, it's been cool talking to you guys, but I should probably buy this and get a move on." She held up the CD for emphasis. "You should come to one of our gigs sometime Shorty, just ask me and I'll hook you up." Making a call me sign with her free hand Cameron turned and walked over to the counter. After paying she left the store and started heading off in the direction of the art gallery. She felt like grabbing a coffee. Stuffing her headphones back in her ears Cameron let her music overtake her again.

Save your breath
This may be the last
There is no novelty here on the earth

((Cameron Herrig continued elsewhere...))

V5
Unknowns

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Main Street · Next Topic »
Add Reply