Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
<DEMO COMPLETE> Possible TV2 Fangame Opt-In/Help Recruiting; MW attempts to make a crummy video game!
Topic Started: May 12 2015, 12:42 PM (2,675 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fine by me! And yeah, if people just grad no more than, oh, let's say three things at a time? Just so everyone can get in on it. And quick reminder that RPGMaker can only take MIDI files.

Also, RC, you should let me know where you think the other song you whipped up would be good. But I'll probably PM you about that too.

Also, no hurry whatsoever on these. I'm still spriting, then need to do area maps, then need to do the actual game bit. This is a looonnngggg way from done.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sprites are complete through Shawn, sans Jewel. I stopped before Taylor because he's probably going to be a lot of work.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
I could be up for making some music, if I had a program to do so.
Let's show that private threads still aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on the island in V6. If I started a thread in-game, you are welcome to join it.

In the past...

In the future...

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
All currently volunteered character now have sprites. Special mention to Taylor's freaking dress as the most annoying thing to do ever, since I had to manually adjust it to fit his frame at a pixel level. Also, not sure how Yagmur's missing fingers are looking, but I tried.

I decided not to bother with t-shirts for those male characters who wore them because the level of effort involved is huge compared to a minimal payoff (they would actually look worse than the current less accurate outfits).

I went through and made non-costume outfits for every kid, including those who were only in costume beforehand, because it's nice to have a base sprite and it may become relevant in the briefing scene.

These are still subject to change and revision, of course. Also, if any of the twenty characters not currently volunteered for the game get offered, they'll get sprites ASAP too. Once again, no promises that this will mean characters will even show up, but having them done helps my inspiration/creative process by giving me quick options, so yay.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CondorTalon
May 24 2015, 08:19 PM
I could be up for making some music, if I had a program to do so.
I'm playing a bit with the freeware version of Anvil Studio, recommended by RC. The free version is fully featured for MIDI, and definitely ports to RPG Maker program.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm so sorry Taylor was difficult to work with. Just imagine being one of his parents.

But the sprites are lovely and I think you did an amazing job on all of them.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks, Laure!

Further updates:

Played more with the game engine, got dialogue pictures displaying. Am currently placeholding with art plundered from the wiki, and will probably stick to that until I'm a bit more confident in the direction of the plot/major characters, at which point I'll toss up a priority listing for headshots and some direction as to size and possibly facing.

Figured out what Bik was talking about re: variables, so can probably not copy/paste all the maps five times to mark the passage of time.

Speaking of maps, still working on getting those smooth. I found some so-so tilesets online but am super paranoid about intellectual property rights even though in all likelihood only SOTFers will ever play this thing. Unfortunately, the RPG Maker community isn't too good about tagging what is or isn't free to use. I am looking into other options too, though. And the defaults aren't totally terrible, at least.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, everyone. It's been almost a year since I posted here. For the bulk of that time, very little got done on this project. RL took up most of my focus, and I lacked the attention or energy to do any work on this.

That said, I have an announcement to make:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The game is still a long ways from done, but you can download the demo here.

You'll need to extract the .rar file to play, but it should just run after that (open the game folder and click on "Game." to make it go). Also, some credits for the demo build: the loading screen art is my mangling of Frogue's amazing art of Michael, and the music is by the super talented and wonderful RC.

The demo covers the prologue of the game. It roughly replaces pregame/sandbox as an introduction to some of the characters and the setting. As mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I've chosen Michael Robinson as the perspective character for the game. As such, the prologue covers a snippet of pre-SOTF time in Whittree, Oklahoma.

All Whittree characters I've been approved to use are featured in the prologue, to greater or lesser degrees. The prologue lays out the rough style I intend to use for the whole game: largely decision-based, with some level of branching paths leading in many cases to different results.

When it comes to overall game design, I'm trying to scale my ambitions to a reasonable level. As such, the game will allow you to play through and interact with the TV2 game, but it's not going to give you total freedom at all times. I hope to offer multiple choices for almost every interaction, but their results may end up the same in some circumstances. Characters will be killable, but it won't be all characters and it won't be every time you meet them. I hope to achieve a satisfying level of complexity without driving myself insane. Think Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book instead of, say, Morrowind.

In the interests of open communication, the prologue is basically the sum total of the completed work thus far. It took quite a while—I spent most of my free time over a week writing the script and implementing it in the engine. This means the overall game completion will not be speedy. If it's done in six months, it will be a miracle by any measure. It may take years. It may never be completed. RL has a way of getting in the way of things, and this isn't the center of my life. I do want to keep expectations low.

That said, I have narrowed down the arena to a manageable number of areas to be featured, and I have the first phase of the game summarized and planned. I expect the game to include a prologue, seven phases on the resort, and then maybe an epilogue (or ten :P).

A few thoughts:

If you've expressed interest in helping in some fashion, I'd still love to work with you! When I was swamped, I lost track of a lot of things. I've contacted a handful of people since, but I don't think I've gotten to everyone. If I missed you, I swear it's not personal and if you still have any interest in participating I'd love to have you on board in some capacity.

If you are a TV2 handler whose character is featured and something really bugs you about the way I've treated them thus far, this is your one and only chance to get in feedback and help me right things (or to withdraw usage permission, though I'd much rather work with you to make sure everything's satisfactory). I'm making choices, cuts, etc. to fit the overall story and the game medium, but I do want to try to leave folks satisfied. Please drop me a line within a week if you want to address concerns.

If you are a TV2 handler who did not offer your character for usage, but now you would like to, there is absolutely 100% still room. The prologue itself has two open desks still (hidden through crafty camera angles at one point) and adding another row is trivially easy. And that's not even touching the Davison characters, who haven't turned up yet! Because I only have the first phase sketched out, and because even that has not progressed to scripting, it's really easy to fit characters in. Let's say there's a soft one week deadline for this, too; characters can still possibly be added afterwards, but are likely to be shunted into pretty minimal roles or get their stories and arcs tweaked more than they otherwise might. I make no guarantees your character will show up at all if you ask after a week from now.

A character's rough level of screen time/importance is quite likely to roughly mirror what they had in the actual TV2 game. There are absolutely some exceptions, but don't expect too hugely much variation, I guess is what I'm saying. There are a number of reasons for this. It's harder to stay true to a character's concept and feel while fabricating events for them forty deaths after where they kicked it in the actual game. Also, any major branch carries potential ramifications for the entire game from that point forwards, which means if there are multiple potential fates for each character in each phase that echo through each other event, that leaves me with something like a hundred variations for absolutely everything that happens in the game, which again goes back to the "this is not my life and I'm not going insane over it" side of things. I'm mostly trying to keep expectations reasonable with all these caveats.

One feature is not currently and may never be implemented: portraits during dialogue, which I addressed a bit in past comments. I'm sort of torn on it. Basically, the issue is as such: there are a lot of characters featured in the game. We've got over fifty students, plus up to two dozen supporting cast members (currently about ten, with a lot of potential for more to crop up near the end of the project/in epilogues). I might look into using Facemaker to create portraits, since I think having portraits does look better and makes certain dialogue exchanges easier to follow. I need to figure out what the usage permissions for Facemaker are, though. There's also a portrait maker in a different RPG Maker engine, and I do have access to that. I haven't played with it much, but it could also work.

If someone wanted to create art, I'd be super grateful, but there are some catches I feel obligated to mention. Basically, I feel like the game's aesthetic will be best served by being consistent, so I'd really want all portraits done in the same style/by the same person. This, again, runs into the issue that there are like 60-70 characters with speaking roles in this game, which I imagine is a ridiculous amount of work, even if we're talking fairly small square portraits. I'd also want to make sure everything looks decent, so at the very least solid scans would be necessary. Finally, there's zero guarantee this game gets completed to any degree further than where it's at right now, so there could be no payoff for the aforementioned massive effort. If you're interested anyways, PM me and we can talk, but I'm all sorts of iffy here just because of the amount of work and my own track record of being inconsistent.

I think that's the rough overview of where everything is. I'd also love any feedback, comments, things you liked, things you didn't, etc. I hope I'll be able to finish this and make it something cool!

There was at least one other really important thing I wanted to discuss, but I can't remember, so stay tuned. P.S. Seth, check your PMs! I promised RC I'd send you something related to this.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks to Espi for instantly finding a soft-lock I missed. It's been fixed. If you downloaded before I posted this, you have a build that will soft lock if you walk down when you first gain movement controls. You may want to download the new version which does not do that. Everyone else: the link leads to the new version now.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If you like, I could try and make a song for your game. No promises, however.

I have also decided, despite my disinterest in mini, I will stream this.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the support! <3

I'd love to have you involved in any way you care to be.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A couple quick notes here:

1. It's been almost a week, so if you'd like to put forth your characters and have not yet or would like to chat about the portrayal of your characters and have not yet, please drop me a line ASAP. As mentioned, I can probably add characters beyond the week deadline but most likely they'll be in increasingly minor/sidelined roles, because I'm moving into fairly serious outlining of major game events.

2. The site I have the demo hosted on may not allow me to reupload it after it lapses in a couple days, as it gave me some grief when I tried to post a bugfixed version a couple days ago. I don't plan for the demo to be offline for long, but it may go down for a day or two while I investigate hosting options. If you want it and it's not online at the moment, PM me an email address to send it to and I can just email it to you directly.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

General Goose
Member Avatar
Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I gotta say, you nailed Yags.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
the bass and the tweeters make the speakers go to war
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As a suggestion, you could host it on a private Gdocs folder. It's stay around a while.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just played it!

I pretty much immediately went over to Nina and repeatedly went through all the dialogue options for her, admittedly. I think you've been doing a good job with her. X3
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artist's Alley · Next Topic »
Add Reply