Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Every day is great at your Junes; NANAKO F-FETCH ME SOME S-SAUSAGES (Open!)
Topic Started: May 9 2015, 04:08 AM (3,327 Views)
MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
(Adelaide Walker: Pregame START)

Adelaide had walked into the café hankering for an afternoon snack. Her grandmother had a doctor's appointment that day, so she had decided to walk home from school. However, she was annoyed at how winded she was by the time she passed main street, and decided Vacanti's would be a suitable rest stop. She preferred the establishment in terms of food better than the more popular Cheryl's. The first time she and her family had gone there, her father too exhausted from the move to make dinner, both Adelaide and her mother had gotten food poisoning. An incredible welcome Kingman, Arizona. Cheryl's, the best restaurant in miles, as long as you don't order the shrimp! Such irony. After that Vacanti's ended up the usual first choice when her family went out to eat.

The girl focused back on the current situation at hand, as Alvaro Vacanti slid across the counter and asked for her order. He was an upperclassman of hers, and always friendly and polite. The perfect host for a restaurant, but part of that disposition could get on Adelaide's nerves. Nevertheless, he was the one who could get her a meal, and she was not going to be one of those fussy customers that complained about every little thing.

"I would like a glass of ice water, and could you tell me today's specials?" she replied, tossing her braid back, which had rested against the side of her neck during the walk over. It was times like this she wanted to get her hair cut short.

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A
V6 Pregame: 1-2
Image Song: TV on the Radio- Wolf Like Me

Frederick "Rick" Brea- N/A
Image Song: SOHN- Artifice

Version 5
(G006) Rosemary Michaels- Butterfly Knife: "H-h-heh..."- DECEASED
V5 Game:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-6 (Return)-9-10-11-12-FINAL

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Everything on special for the day was sweets. Adelaide frowned. Though she enjoyed baking, having such heavy foods after a workout were not the best choice. However, she was interested in the strawberry cheesecake. She had not had that particular sweet at the café yet, and wondered if trying it would give her some ideas about making the treat herself.

"I think I'll stick with the strawberry cheesecake." Adelaide replied with her order. It was always interesting to see Alvaro working. Nearly every time she came in, he was there waiting, if not serving than taking other people's orders or talking with the man at the reception desk. Her father told her once about what happened to that man, Alejandro, but she refrained from sticking her nose into that kind of business. It was beyond her grasp having a family member with such a debilitating injury. Despite her fall, Grandmother Marie was still able to get along well enough, and that made Adelaide secretly relieved whenever she caught a glimpse of the man confined to a chair. It was probably selfish of her to think that, but then again, most people did whenever they saw someone they considered less fortunate.

But then her focus went back on Alvaro. His parents were probably proud of how much time he spent in working at the family restaurant. They probably intended for him to take over the family business one of these days. The desire for children to do exactly what their parents did before them was another thing she did not get, though Alvaro also appeared to be a hard worker. Maybe he was being forced into it.

"...You know, I always see you around here when I come. Does your family make you work everyday?" she decided to ask, seeing very few other customers around that acquired Alvaro's attention.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide wrinkled her brow at how Alvaro said he could be paid less than the average worker. Was that supposed to be a joke? It wasn't that funny, even if she was meant to take it as sarcasm. Yet when he assured her that it was a good way to meet people, Adelaide wasn't so sure.

"So that's your plan? To take over the family business?" Adelaide questioned. It wasn't something that she would personally want. Though her father owned restaurants, he had never pressured her into learning how to run them herself. Partly she was grateful for that, but when Alvaro seemed so involved with his own family, she was almost envious. It was a conflicting feeling, to be sure. However, Alvaro's attention was quickly brought to another customer that entered.

Adelaide turned to look down at Lily Caldwell's tiny figure behind her in line. They were in the same grade, though the other girl was regularly out due to sickness. Adelaide always thought that with her big eyes and knitted, homemade clothes, Lily usually looked like a child's doll. She did better in the sciences than Adelaide, which earned some respect from her. Still, Adelaide was sure if she picked the other girl up, she'd be no trouble at all.

"Hello, Lily." Adelaide said tersely, before turning back to Alvaro. She tried to hide the heat that had risen in her cheeks at the thought of picking Lily up and carrying her around. It wasn't embarrassing, not really, but she still felt her face flush. Lily was around the same height as...

"Should I pay up front or after I get my order?" she decided to ask, though she already knew. Adelaide wanted to find a way to focus her attention back in the present and not in ridiculous fantasies.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide nodded to show that she understood both things that Alvaro had said. She still did not understand how the senior could be so happy about remaining in Kingman, probably for the rest of his life by the sound of it. Yet, like Alvaro, lots of people did. He was probably even more better off than others going into family businesses.

"Alright. Thank you." Adelaide said, saying a quiet 'excuse me' as she passed by Lily and walked towards one of the tables by the window.

Now that she was seated, it would probably be a good time as any to do some homework. Adelaide has already done some of the reading for English in advance, and the Spanish worksheet would be a breeze to go through, so she left them both for her science textbook. Her grade in the class was slipping due to labs, so homework was the only place she could keep up.

Adelaide scowled as she flipped through the pages of the text book to the correct chapter, before getting out her worksheet to start grinding through problems. Barely three minute in, however, and she hit a roadblock.

"What even...?" she grumbled under her breath at the formula she had never seen before. She didn't remember going over this in class. How the hell did the teacher think they were supposed to know it if they never taught it?
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide decided to give up on her homework for the time being. She told herself that as soon as she finished her food she would start again. She had to, if she wanted to get a decent grade in the class. Instead, she focused her attention on Lily and Alvaro's conversation. The café was not busy, so it was easy enough to overhear the conversation. They were talking about chess. She didn't know people played chess at their school. From what she could see of Alvaro's expression, he was absolutely ecstatic about it. Wow, working part time to take over the family business and chess... it sounded like an absolutely thrilling way to live.

Then again, she watched foreign films for enjoyment and she considered her grandmother as a best friend. Adelaide did not have room to judge.

But then Lily's eyes shifted towards her and Adelaide had to force her head back down to make it look like she was still focused on her homework. Trying to escape her embarrassment at possibly having been caught spying with the formulas again only soured her mood.

"Mon Dieu..." she muttered under her breath as she spent another minute trying to understand what she was reading when Alvaro came to the table and set down her order.

"Thank you, Alvaro," she replied, pushing her work to the side. First she took a long sip of the ice water, letting the cool liquid calm her nerves. She was still a bit winded from the walk, so it also helped rejuvenate her.

She brought the plate close to her, wanting to taste the flavors of the cheesecake in front of her, only to find that no silverware had been placed on the table. It was still early, so Alvaro had probably not gotten around to it yet. Oh well.

Adelaide rose from her seat and walked back up to the front, waiting for a lull in Lilly's and Alvaro's conversation before she spoke up. "Can I have a fork? There are no utensils on the table."
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
While Alvaro got the silverware onto the tables, she turned back to Lily. She did well in science, and obviously liked chess enough to read books about it, so now Adelaide was debating if she should ask for her assistance. She was irritated that she hadn't been able to figure this out on her own, but how would it look to colleges if she failed a simple science course at Cochise high.

She had probably stared down at the girl for a little longer than a second before speaking. "Lily, would you be willing to help me with some of the homework problems for science?"

There, short and simple. Quick. They could enjoy their cheesecake while Lily helped her work her way through formulas. Their proximity might even help her learn how to handle being close to another small-statured girl. That way Adelaide would gain even more useful information from their interaction.

What would Lily get out of it though?

Adelaide took out her wallet. "I can buy your cake as payment."

Money or some sense of monetary gain helped in most situations.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide at first wanted to object, but then Lily offered the alternative. They could help each other in different subjects. A fair trade. "Alright then. It's settled."

Alvaro then decided to come back up. He had finished replenishing the cutlery.

"Thank you, Alvaro." she replied with a small smile. Lily agreeing to help her figure out how to use formulas for the laws of... whatever the hell was in that textbook put her in a much better mood. Maybe she should've asked for help more often, but most of the other students in the class were either just as loss or did not even care. It was hopeless for Adelaide to rely on any of them.

Adelaide turned back to Lily, gesturing to Alvaro. "When you're finished talking, come on over."

The girl then strode back to her seat, looking down with a somewhat wry look at how there were no knives on the table. She did not need one, but most restaurants provided knives anyway, even if they were ones with a dull blade. She was slowly losing faith at how well Alvaro could handle the restaurant business when he forgot minor details. Then again, she might be putting Vacanti's through too much judging. This was Kingman, not some five star gourmet place in Las Vegas.

Pushing her text book closer to the window, Adelaide picked up her fork and dipped it into the cheesecake's smooth surface. She then lifted the fork once and gave it a brief inspection before taking a bite. Not bad at all.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide decided to forsake her previous eavesdropping to pay attention to the cheesecake she ordered. The texture and flavor was good, and the bottom crust was not soggy from chilling in a fridge. It was not the greatest dessert she ever had, but a good slice of cheesecake.

After her first bite and then another, she lifted her fork to take a closer look at the crust. Was it graham cracker, like most of the ones sold in restaurants? And if so, was it prepackaged, or freshly pulverized? She could not tell, but curiosity itched at her. Attempting to learn what made up the components of an already finished dish was a much more interesting puzzle than her science homework. And what about adding strawberry to the cheesecake? Was it colorful, sugar-filled syrup that has been mixed in, or real strawberries and juices to give a naturally sweet tang infused with the creaminess of cheesecake.

Most restaurants did not give away their recipe. Adelaide was the daughter of a restaurant owner and chef herself, but she doubted despite it's good taste this cheesecake would ever show up on a plate at one of her father's places. It was not elaborate enough to be a feast for the eyes along with the taste buds.

She took her third bite, closing her eyes for a moment to focus her senses to taste. But nothing was truly amiss in the flavor department. She'd have to send her regards to the chef somehow. She forgot if Vacanti's had an email account that you could rate your service to.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide was almost half done with her cheesecake by the time Lily disengaged herself from her conversation with Alvaro. She was enjoying it, and picked up the decorative strawberry on top and took a bite. Nice and fresh. She wondered if the fruit was made in a greenhouse closer by and shipped from California. Thinking about it reminded her of her grandparents' on her mom's side. Whenever they would visit, they would take Adelaide out on a quick road trip to some farms that would have fresh produce stands. When she was younger she hated eating vegetables, but whatever they got was always fresh and was cooked into some great dish.

How long had it been since she last saw them face to face? It was after she moved to Kingman, but before she joined track... ugh, all of her thoughts went back to track. She should go hit a couple of balls on the side of the house when she was back at home. It was just making her more restless and more frustrated.

Adelaide stopped daydreaming when she saw the other girl start to walk over to the table. She needed to focus. Now that she had assistance, there was no excuse for her to daydream and fail the assignment. Facing Lily, she made room in the seat next to her and took a quick bite into the remaining strawberry, dropping the steam onto the side of her cheesecake plate.

Do you want to go over the worksheet first, or take care of the issues you're having?" she asked. Since Adelaide was the one to ask first, she decided to give Lily the choice where to start.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide regretfully set aside the rest of her cake to pull her worksheet between them. She used her pencil to point at the places she was having trouble.

"And probably the other questions too, honestly. But if I understand the method, I should be able to figure the rest out." Key word being should, but she did not want to take all day with her own homework problems.

"It would be easier if the teachers actually taught us the concepts instead of expecting us to understand everything in the textbook." Adelaide let herself complain, though she doubted Lily would agree with her. She liked science, and chess, too if what she overheard previously was true. She enjoyed formulas and mind games. What Adelaide liked was housed in the other side of the human brain. At least she thought... ugh. There was a pun in there somewhere.

While Lily took a quick lookover Adelaide picked up another mouthful of her cheesecake. Baked goods at least were never this confusing.

She gave a small look up to Jasper, and a nod, before looking back down at the sheet and waiting for Lily's wisdom. Homework was more important than socializing right now.
Edited by MrMissMrs Random, May 25 2015, 10:41 AM.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Its mostly with the labs. Whoever I'm paired with never takes the work seriously," Adelaide replied in a slightly defensive tone, before glaring back down at her homework. It was true. Whenever she tried to take charge in the situation, her partners would immediately either get quiet and stand twiddling their thumbs or have some irrelevant passive-aggressive response. Ms. Barks as the year had gone by was growing less forgiving about mistakes, and would never help push Adelaide, or anyone else for that matter, in the right direction.

"But... the homework is getting more challenging now, too." she admitted, before looking down at Lily's notes, then back at the girl with a pointed stare. How could she create such immaculate notes? Adelaide always made sure her notes were neat and orderly, but she did not have the patience that the other girl obviously had for scribing.

Adelaide took a closer look at the offered notepad. Not only was it perfectly color-coded, it actually made sense. The notes made even more sense than the actual lecture! Lily had laid out the best way to use the formula she had been having trouble applying, and gave examples for different situations it could be used.

"You should be the one teaching this class, not Ms. Barks." she stated to Lily. And she meant it. Lily was periodically absent, yet she still put in the effort to have beautiful notes was incredible. Adelaide wondered how bored Lily got when she was sick. "How did you get all of this?"

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide was impressed, maybe slightly unnerved, at Lily's dedication to note taking. She devoted so much time that could be spent doing something, anything else, yet she chose to research and keep ahead of classes despite being out. Most people Adelaide knew would do that.

"Still, it doesn't change the fact that these notes are incredible," Adelaide interjected, before Lily told her about times she could be available. It was thoughtful. Very thoughtful. Adelaide turned to eat more of her cheesecake to avoid having eye contact at the other girl. When her fork made a small clink against the plate was only when she realized that while they had been discussing notes, she had eaten the rest of her cheesecake.

"...Thank you." Adelaide replied, sounding more stiff than she wanted. "That's kind of you, but I don't... track is about to go into tournament season, so I might not have time."

Adelaide still did not like getting help where there was nothing in it for the other person. She had made it clear before when she asked Lily to help her in the first place. Still, she did not want to refuse outright and have Lily perceive her as rude.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Sure. I should have them right-" Adelaide started as she pulled her backpack closer to search for her Spanish notes, but her sentence stopped when Alvaro made a loud announcement at the front counter. She had not been paying attention to the conversation between him and Jasper, but she was now. Even from the table with Lily she could see how much Alvaro's hands shook, and when he set Jasper's water down how some of it spilled out. She had not seen Alvaro like this before, was he having some sort of panic attack?

Adelaide did not want to be around if that was the case, but she was not in the position to leave either. When she finished taking out her Spanish notebook and slid it in front of Lily, though, she wanted to at least have some understanding of what might have been about to happen, or if she should alert someone else on staff, but the only other employee she could see was Alvaro's uncle, who she did not think had the ability to restrain Alvaro if it was necessary.

"Does Alvaro get... nervous like that usually?" Adelaide nodded towards the counter. "Nervous" was an adequate word to describe what she had seen without resorting to psychological terms. If Lily opened the notebook she would see relatively neat notes, though not color-coordinated and written either in pencil or dark blue pen ink. There were also a few short sentences that were phrases or sayings she had jot down that the teacher had not gone in-depth with. Adelaide enjoyed looking up the words later on the internet for fun and to help her get a greater perspective on the language.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide's mouth tightened into a faint line of distaste as the tall... girl? Yes, it was a girl, with dreadlocks walked towards their table. She was tall, and this was coming from Adelaide. Even from a distance. She remembered seeing the head of hair in the corner of her eye a couple of times before in the halls, but this was her first time getting to see it and it's face to face. At least, somewhat face to face, since the blonde girl obviously set her sights on Lily. Comparing the two of them made it impossible for her to imagine that Lily and the girl were friends, and the terrified expression Lily was wearing made it even more obvious.

Was the other girl a bully? If so, it was pathetic to pick on someone outside of school. The worse there that could happen was suspension or expulsion. In town, it was harassment. Adelaide turned her head to see if Alvaro was still there, but the boy had escaped. Wonderful. She could not rely on the wheel-chair bound uncle either probably to keep the dreadlocked girl in check.

Adelaide gathered hers and Lily's empty plates, deciding on the next best option.

"Glad you're here. We're finished, so could you take these, please? Thank you." Adelaide butted in with a tightly lipped smile.
Edited by MrMissMrs Random, Jun 12 2015, 03:56 PM.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adelaide's attempt at a smile was slowly being placed with an irritated frown. Was this girl deaf or had she not heard her? And the expression the dreadlocked server had was getting creepier by the millisecond.

The situation got worse when Lily deserted her to go pay for her own dessert. What the hell was that about? It had been Lily's fault the weirdo walked to their table in the first place, and now was the time she decided to be a good-for-nothing coward.

Adelaide looked down at her still open Spanish notebook, then at the girl, taking a look at the nametag on her uniform.

"Listen... Caedyn." Adelaide started, deciding to try and gain back control of the situation instead of also making a break for it. It was ridiculous when she was the customer and this Caedyn girl was the employee to act the way she was acting, even if she had just started working there.

"I'm guessing you're new at this, but when someone asks you, nicely, to take away the plates at their table while you're on the clock, you should do that. And pushing yourself into a conversation you obviously had no part of as well I'm guessing is not part of work protocol. So, are you going to take the plates or not?"

She wondered if Vacanti's had a place to file complaints.

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Main Street · Next Topic »
Add Reply