Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hypotenuse Murder Mystery Case; The joke begins
Topic Started: Apr 28 2015, 01:41 PM (1,082 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Jerry Fury: Round 1, fight!)

The period right before lunch... yeah, that was always the worst one. So of course, as some sort of sick joke, somebody decided they were going to schedule a trigonometry class at that exact period, and have Jerry sit in it. That had to be what happened, right? These things didn't just happen on accident.

Four rows back and two files away from the door, Jerry Fury sat, surrounded by his classmates. His head slumped forward, cheeks pushed up in sharp creases by his hands in a desperate bid to keep it from crashing down onto his desk. Every so often he'd tug at one of the curls of his hair. He found the little twinge of pain kept him awake, but he wasn't sure how long he could rely on that trick over and over again before he started pulling his hair out.

"So... very... boring..." he mouthed at just under a whisper, his eyes wandering just about anywhere except what was on the whiteboard. Mrs. Brown seemed awfully focused on the vague squiggles and shapes she was drawing with those dry-erase markers. In fact, she seemed focused enough that Jerry was sure she wouldn't notice if he just slipped his hand into his backpack, which was tucked messily under his desk.

He felt around until he felt the tell-tale glossy feel of a soft cover, and pulled his hand out carefully to retrieve a comic book he pilfered from his brother's place. Tucking the cover and the first few pages of filler behind the rest of the book, Jerry rested the comic on his lap and began to read, tucking his chin to read a few panels, glance at the board like he was waking up from one of his sleep-struggles... then tuck his chin down again. As long as he could manage to look up every once in a while, Mrs. Brown shouldn't care.

In theory, anyway.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cosine. Sin. Tan. Cosintan. Kind of reminds me of Constantine. I should reaaaaaaaaaally pick that up.

Jerry flipped between looking at the utterly incomprehensible gobbledygook up on the board and the slightly less nonsensical events going on in his issue of Suicide Squad. Even then it was only slightly. It took a moment for him to realize that it was perhaps because some of the 'boring filler stuff' going on in the first two or three pages he skipped was probably relevant to the plot. Well, too late to look back now; the turning of the pages would no doubt alert Mrs. Brown.

Then Jerry got a brilliant idea. What if he waited for somebody to turn the page of their math book? Yeah, that made sense. Wait for somebody to have to turn the page for something or other, then he could turn the pages of the comic in his lap without it being suspicious.

Mr. Fury, you've done it again!

Jerry waited... and waited... and waited. It had to have been an agonizing fifteen to twenty seconds he waited, and nobody had time to wait any longer than that. Thinking of a positively brilliant backup plan, Jerry raised his hand. After a second or two of Mrs. Brown not seeing it, he cleared his throat to get her attention.

"Yes, Jeremiah?"

Jerry opened his mouth and froze. Shit, what was he supposed to say at this part? In the mental draft of his plan, he was going to say something really witty here about how the problems on the board, weren't they like another problem somewhere else, and what page it was on. Trouble was, he flickered his eyes between his teacher and the board trying to gain some bearing as to what they were learning and he came up totally dry.

Flicker. Flicker. Flicker. Nope, still dry, and now his eyes were getting tired.

"Um... I was wondering..." he started sheepishly, looking around for help. None came. "You know, the thing... that wiggly thing-"

"The sine wave, Jeremiah?"

"Yeah, uh, that thing. How did we get... to that part with the stuff again?"

Jerry sank down in his seat, imagining that every pair of eyes in the class must be boring holes into his skull right now but he dared not look to see if it was true. So what if he wasn't paying attention? It wasn't like anybody else was, and you didn't see them doing anything about it! Yeah, that's right. They don't have any fuckin' ground to stand on making fun of me. Wait. Shit. Why didn't I just flip the pages of my own book!? Why didn't I think of that!? FUUUUUUUUUU

"Never mind!" Jerry practically shouted to a strongly confused Mrs. Brown. "Found it!" He flipped the pages of his math book in earnest despite having already apparently found the solution to his imagined problem, and waited for Mrs. Brown to turn back to the board, his face reddened.

Think Jerry, think. No, wait, you wouldn't have to think if this class weren't so. FUCKING. BORING!
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was all Jerry could do to keep the heat building up on his cheeks down to a reasonable level. Once Mrs. Brown had turned back to the board, he finangled with the pages of the comic until he turned back to what he was sure was the first page. Turns out it was just just filler stuff after all.

Well, wait, then that means this opening is still confusing as-

Something light but irritating struck the back of his neck, tickling and bothering and moving down underneath the collar of his shirt. Giving a sharp gasp, he flung his hand up to smack at whatever had just landed on him, fingers blindly groping and reaching as whatever it was nearly made an escape down the back of his shirt. As his fingertips closed around it, Jerry pulled his hand out and around to in front of him, and it was only at this time that it occurred to him that, hey, maybe he was grabbing a bee.

Good news, not a bee. Bad... well, less good news, it was a crumpled ball of paper.

Well whaddindafuck!?

Mrs. Brown and her math lesson forgotten for the moment, Jerry cranked his neck around to see Kikkiman or Kiniku or whatever the fuck her name was, he just usually called her Kimmy. Pretty sure she was Chinese or Japanese or something, he had never bothered to ask. Given her eyes were focused pretty much directly at him and not on the board, either she was intrigued by his frantic dance to catch the 'bug' that had assaulted his neck, or she was the one that threw it. He was taking a shot in the dark and guessing the latter.

Resisting the urge to call out his befuddlement, Jerry settled for gesturing a 'what gives!?' with his hand. What did she want? Obviously it wasn't to copy off of his homework; first thing first, Jerry was horrible at math and second, Kimmy was typically good at it. Of course she was. Stereotypes were stereotypes for a reason. She was probably kick-ass at DDR too, but this wasn't the time or the place to ask.

Then, of course, somebody ELSE had to go and throw a piece of paper. At fist Jerry though it was coming for him and he flinched wildly, jerking so hard that his seat, and the desk it was attached to, shifted with a loud squeak. Fucking idiot, the HELL!? Jerry mentally shouted, twisting around to face the board before their teacher inevitably got pissed. He swore, if a paper fight broke out...

Who am I kidding? I can fight back with the rest of them. Juuuuuuust wait.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Christ, that face. That wasn't at me, was it?

Some random underclassmen girl (her name was called at the beginning of every class because attendance was a thing, but fuck all if he could remember what it was) had been crawling around and junk off to the side for like, an hour. Or maybe it was around ten seconds, time tended to get all distorted like that when inside a boring classroom. Now that she was back in her seat, she slung a look in what appeared to be Jerry's direction. He wished he hadn't been looking at the time, but it was kind of hard not to with all the previous distractions and crap.

Then Wayne spoke up, saying what Jerry had wished he thought of ten seconds ago.

"Oh oh, actually I need to go too-"

"Wayne's first, Mr. Fury. There's one girl's pass and there's one boy's pass." The words made Jerry's heart sink. If only it would sink hard enough to strike his bladder, that'd show his freaking teacher. Seemed like there'd be no escaping this hell for at least another...

He looked at the clock.

Ten minutes. Oh, oh thank sweet Jesus, we can survive ten minutes.

He still had his comic book, after all, and he hadn't even really gotten into it. Surely that could keep his attention, given there was nothing else to do in this damned class. Well, besides pay attention to what was going on the board and actually learning. Then again, Jerry had decided long ago that avenue just hadn't worked out for him. He'd simply pester somebody else later to give him some one-on-one help with the homework, and that'd be enough for him to pull a passing test grade out of his ass. Worked every time.

Oh. Right. What the hell did she want?

While Wayne was getting himself situated, Jerry craned his neck around, deciding to get it another ol' college try.

"Yeah?" He whispered.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Huh. Is that it?

Kim wanting to know about the comic made a lot of sense. The only query Jerry could have thought of was that she'd want to know something about the scribbles and runes on the whiteboard, and he was about 99.99% sure she was a lot better at math than he was. So, one question answered and one aspect of unease abated.

It then occurred to Jerry that if Kimikuluha or whatever her full name was could tell he was reading a comic, then others could potentially figure it out, and either Mrs. Brown could probably spot him too... or somebody nearby would rat him out. It was a horrible thought, a 'shitty' thought he would say, and Jerry decided he wasn't going to risk getting his comic book taken away by some disgruntled faculty member. He slid the comic off his lap and back into his bag.

I'll suffer through the last... I'unno, ten minutes. Who cares?

Picking up the bright pink mechanical pencil on his desk, Jerry scawled 'Suicide Squad' at the top of the page in what he deemed to be large lettering, then picked up the notebook and held it up in front of him as if to admire his handiwork... while giving the girl behind him a nice, clear look at what he'd just written in his less-than-impressive handwriting. Why she couldn't have just whispered her question was beyond him - she never seemed to talk all that much. Actually, the more Jerry thought back about it, he couldn't even remember what her voice sounded like. Weird.

Setting the notebook back down, Jerry settled himself in his seat and hoped that Kim's curiosity had been fully sated. He stared at the board and the magic Mrs. Brown was conjuring on it. Not a single minute in and with his eyebrows drooping, he suddenly wished she had ALL the questions for him.

Kill me. Oh god, kill me, I need this class to END!
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The bell rang, and every muscle in Jerry's body turned to jello.

Slumping as liquid-like as he possibly could at his desk, Jerry breathed a sigh of relief, lazily watching classmate after classmate file out the door. "Hey, Kim," he called out. No sense in risking a jab at her real name and butchering it. "Why didn't you just whisper it back to me? Like, y'know, what I was talking to you about earlier? Would've been a helluva lot easier than passing a note."

Since the noise in the classroom had picked up so much with the end of the period, Jerry didn't bother so much with keeping things hush-hush. Heck, even if Mrs. Brown did overhear by some miracle, wasn't much she could do now, was there? Not catching them after the fact.

"Actually you never really talk much, do you?" He asked, hands tucked behind his head. "What gives? Why you so damn quiet?"
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jerry read the words on the screen... and his expression faulted.

Oh. Jesus fuck. Mute, like, on a TV screen mute.

Now it all made sense. That was the good news. The bad was now he felt even more foolish than when class was in session. Shit, he couldn't even look Kim in the eyes, given how horribly he assumed he must have offended her. She probably would have shouted at him angrily. Y'know, if she could. Which she couldn't. Because she was mute. Like she just fucking said.

"Uh, uh right! Sorry, slipped my mind a sec!" Jerry lied. "You know, just kidding and whatever. We should talk co- ... we should discuss comics sometime. Yeah. That'd be cool."

Don't look at her. Put your stuff in the bag. Don't check a mirror to see how red your face is.

Abort.

Abort.

Abort.

He hightailed it out of the room like a deer in the fall. He left so quickly that he even forgot Suicide Squad, having fallen underneath his seat.

((Jerry Fury, continued onward and upward in Laws of Motion! Hoo ha!))
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, May 10 2015, 02:11 AM.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · West Wing · Next Topic »
Add Reply