Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Weekly Grind
Topic Started: Apr 27 2015, 08:48 PM (1,094 Views)
CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
SANDRA DYER - PREGAME START

Skateboard against bench.

Helmet on bench.

Butt on bench.

And Sandra was ready for her break!

She popped open the can of Coke she'd bought and took a few big gulps, as she looked out onto the park proper. It was unusually quiet Saturday at the park, as she could only count three or four other people riding around. That was two people on skateboards, and two on bikes. Well, at least they were actually using the pipes and the rails to do tricks, unlike on some occasions where there would be a bunch of kids on scooters, riding around at the bottom of the pipe.

Oh god, the kids on scooters. Some weekends, Sandra couldn't even get to use the pipes at all. Like, what was the point of the pipes if people were just going to ride at the bottom? Couldn't they... oh who knows, ride somewhere else?

Sandra wasn't hating on those kids, really, but it was just a frustrating situation.

But that was a tangent. On this occasion, there weren't that many people, which meant that Sandra was able to get good mileage out of the pipes.

Sandra fished out her phone, checking the time. It was currently 3:48 PM. She put her phone away, then dug through her bag and pulled out a sandwich.

Munch.
Let's show that private threads still aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on the island in V6. If I started a thread in-game, you are welcome to join it.

In the past...

In the future...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Yep, yep. You've done well, young grasshopper," Sandra said, before taking another bite of her sandwich. She was half tempted to pat Irene's head jokingly, but she didn't feel like getting bread crumbs in her friend's hair.

Instead she opted for a quick thumbs up.

"Please hold while I finish refueling myself," Sandra stated, with the sandwich halfway in her mouth already. She was almost done, anyway, so it wouldn't take long.

Sure enough, Sandra soon dusted her hands of crumbs before gripping her board. A quick push got her to her feet, and they began to bring her to her destination: the grind rails. She dragged the board behind her, and with a quick step she threw the board down. Upside-down, of course.

The board popped over onto its wheels, and Sandra hopped onto it, giving it another push.

"C'mon, don't get left behind!" she called out behind her.
Let's show that private threads still aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on the island in V6. If I started a thread in-game, you are welcome to join it.

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sandra didn't believe in simply popping an ollie onto a rail. Well she did, before she got good enough to chain tricks together. But now, that stuff was for plebs.

"Alright, let's get the show started," she said, as she approached a rail.

She popped herself upward, shifting her front foot diagonally to kick the board around. As the board came back around, she brought her feet down, keeping her weight on her back foot and leaning slightly back. As she approached the end of rail, she wound up her upper body, and the instant before the back truck left the end, she twisted, bringing her body and the board around. She landed on the back wheels and shifted around to keep everything else off the ground.

There it was. A perfect... well decent, kickflip tailgrind to 180 fakie manual. Her technique could be slightly better but...

"You see that, Irene? That's how we do it in- oh shit!"

Of course, the instant Sandra's focus went anywhere other than her skateboard was the instant that another rail snuck up on her, clipping the back of her shins and sending her over the rail to land her butt on the board.

"Fuckin'... I call mulligan on that! Fuck!"

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Any frustration that Sandra may have felt from her wipe out and the subsequent teasing from Irene was erased instantly as she followed in her wake. Sandra's scowl shifted to that of a grin briefly, even as she tried not to. It seemed that karma had arrived to shift the balance of the world back in check.

Sandra got her butt off from the board and kicked it up into her hand. The stinging in her shins and the pounding of her rear did little to abate the feeling of excitement and pride she'd felt for herself. Up until she'd been sneak attacked by that pesky rail, she'd gotten it down pat. So really, it was the rail's fault. That rail was out to get her, and she would get her revenge. She kicked and yelled and pulled out a giant flaming sword and hacked the rail to bits.

In her imagination, of course.

"Come on soldier," she said as she approached her fallen comrade. She held her hand out, inviting the other girl to take it, to try again, to stare into the abyss and jump headlong screaming that she wouldn't give up, to use the lifeline that she'd been given in front of her, to use that 1-up she'd purchased from the app store for only 99 cents wow that metaphor got away from her really quickly.

"There's more work to be done."

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Mmm... best I can do is five minutes."

Sandra hopped back on her board, cruising down back to where her stuff was. She turned her body to and fro as she made the short trip to the benches.

She waited for Irene to follow.

"That's like three minutes for your ass rub, and two minutes to mend your pride, by the way!" she called out behind her.

The bench approached. Sandra did a quick powerslide to use up the momentum of her trip, then as her board skidded to a halt she popped it up while leaning back onto the bench. Then, the last crucial step, actually catching her board with her hand.

She sat there, twirling the board, waiting for her friend to drag her humbled self back.

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Now yer talkin', soldier! No pain, no gain! Can't bust a rail without bustin' a wrist."

To emphasize her point, she twirled her free wrist. Sandra had, in fact, broken both of her wrists in the past. Those were not some fun times.

It looked like Irene didn't even need the five minutes. More like five seconds.

"Alright, let's take it easy, at least. It looks like you could use some of that."

Sandra hopped back on her board.

"How about you head to where you wanna? I'm taking a break from being in the lead."

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sandra had, by this point in their friendship, gotten used to all of Irene's little quirks. She could, in fact, say that she'd embraced them. So Sandra didn't pay any mind when Irene started laughing out of nowhere. Sandra was almost tempted to laugh along, but decided against it.

As Sandra followed behind Irene to the hubba ledge, she paid close attention to what Irene was doing. Stair tricks were never Sandra's forte, so she wanted to see what Irene had in store for her.

And as she caught Irene skating back toward her, shouting something about being stupid, she could confidently say the answer was not that.

"Whoa now!"

Yes, Irene would come flying back into her arms! It would be like something from a romance novel! The scandals would spread around the school at a breakneck speed, and they'd have to hide, fugitives from the law or the man or whatever it was! They'd be hiding in dumpsters, trying to desperately continue their education from a trashed laptop that still somehow worked, leeching wi-fi from the nearby McDonald's!

Or not.

But on the plus side, Sandra got a new board!

"Man, fate is just not on either of our sides, today, huh?" Sandra called out, grabbing Irene's board.

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sandra dropped Irene's board almost as quickly as she'd picked it up, footing it over to Irene. She was confident that Irene would be able to catch it, but maybe this day really was bad for both of them and she'd catch it with her ankles or something.

"Whatever you say, Irene. I wouldn't want you do any of those things to me. Except maybe the kiss. Maybe if you were a dude," Sandra said coyly.

Sandra kicked her own board up and caught it with her hands.

"I usually don't say this, but what do you say we quit while we're ahead? Let me amend that. What do you say we quit while we still have all our bones intact?"

Really, Sandra had only wiped out once, but she was still feeling a dull pain in the back of her shins. And Irene... she didn't want to know what would happen if they kept going. Facial stitches? A broken arm? A freak thunderstorm that would zap Irene into the next life?

Okay, that last one probably wouldn't happen, but still.

In the past...

In the future...

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sandra watched Irene run.

"Yeah alright, s'cool. Forget about me, I'm already too far gone of this world! Save yourself, or something like that, I dunno."

Sandra headed back to the bench that had her stuff, surprisingly untouched by the scant three other people in the park, and packed it all up before leaving.

((Sandra Dyer continued in Is it bright on Planet Cool?))

In the past...

In the future...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Desert Plains Skate Park · Next Topic »
Add Reply