Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Don't Call it a Comeback; Open
Topic Started: Apr 26 2015, 09:23 PM (1,622 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NADIA RIVA: PREGAME START

"Alright. Who's going to fit my aesthetic?"

Nadia's eyes narrowed as she looked at the selection of clothing on the rack before her. Before her were a series of dresses, coats, and shirts from eras past. To her left was a fixture filled with old style hats, while her right held a glass case of antique jewelry. For Nadia, wandering through an antique store like this was like finding a chest of pirate gold. It held so much promise, opportunity, and beauty, and she was going to get her hands on it.

For most of her early life, Nadia wasn't that excited by "granny clothes" she could find in antique stores. To her, they looked stiff, itchy, and just plain antiquated. When put on her, such as when her parents made her go to church or dress up for visiting her grandparents, she thought that kind of formal clothing made her look ridiculous. They never felt that free, and her heavy size just made any print overwhelm her.

However, as she got older, she came to appreciate vintage clothing a lot more. Every so often, she'd visit an antique store in Kingman and try to pick up a vintage style outfit or some old jewelry. It could lead to some creative expression or provide unique materials for a photo shoot.

Her mission today was for the latter. Now that she had some extra pocket change following Christmas, Nadia could pay a visit to a local antique store and find something cool to wear. She had done her research following Fashion Week 2014 and had found the trends that were going to be key come Spring and Summer 2015. Etro and Chloe' had hippie style dresses walk their runways, jumpsuits were (somehow) in, and Burberry made denim cool again, and not just something Nadia expected the white trash of Kingman to wear to a wedding.

Nadia had her mental list in her mind as she began to shift the clothing down the racks. There had to be something she could use in her next photo shoot. Something that would allow her to play with old hairstyles and makeup, or at least emulate old models like Bettie Page or Twiggy. The ideas and possibilities were enough to make Nadia salivate, but she made sure she wouldn't stoop so low to do something like that in public, so she held to a sense of decorum.

"Come on," she muttered to herself, "who's going to find a second life with me?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia felt a sudden silence take over the room as a person responded to her comment. "You sound pretty creepy" was not something that Nadia had hoped to be told (nor did she realize she was speaking loud enough to be heard), so that person's comment led to a furrowing of the brow and a pursing of the mouth. She turned to the person who called her out on her language, raising an eyebrow. The girl was Fiyori Senay, one of her classmates from school. They were in the same grade, but didn't really hang out with the same social circles. She didn't think someone like Fiyori would be all that interested in vintage clothing, so that was something new to learn today.

"If I wanted to be creepy," Nadia said, "I could lick the outfits and call them names. Fortunately, I'm not that materialistic, so you don't have to worry. I'm just looking for some vintage clothing for a photo shoot."

Nadia took a quick look over Fiyori. Fiyori had grabbed a black dress with white polka dots, something that looked good with her skin and hair. Nadia eyed the red jacket Fiyori was holding in her hand.

"Just my thought, but I don't think that jacket would work with the dress. If it was a lighter colored dress or a darker jacket, maybe it would work. It's a cute dress, though."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It felt good to be called an expert. Nadia had to admit she was glad Fiyori took her advice. Kingman was kind of a dead-end in terms of beauty, so if she could help one person look better than most of the populace, she could take it. Of course, she did have to raise an eyebrow as the girl tossed the jacket to the floor.

"Okay then," she muttered to herself.

Another girl came by to pick up the jacket. She looked like someone else from school, although Nadia couldn't immediately remember who she was. Nadia turned back to Fiyori.

"Yeah, vintage photo shoot. There's a lot of vintage trends coming about, so I want to take some pictures wearing some old style clothing that's sort of in right now. Basically, denim, fringe, jumpsuits, that sort that the fashion industry decided is cool again. The kind of thing that would be good for my blog or for a portfolio."

Nadia turned back to the rack of clothes and began to push things aside. That's when she noticed a jumpsuit hanging from a rack. She pulled it out and did a quick look over. It looked pretty interesting to her. It had spaghetti straps with a slightly low neckline, with a green and white check print on it. The length was about right for her as well, so she probably wouldn't trip wearing it. Nadia held it up in front of her, showing it to Fiyori.

"Something like this, for example."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh great. Miss Fiyori had an opinion. It looks like Nadia lost all her credibility by picking that jumpsuit off the rack. The other girl at least thought the color was nice, so that put her above Fiyori in Nadia's eyes.

"Yeah, it's just an example," Nadia said. "Although, I probably won't get this. Green can be hard to photograph."

Nadia put the jumpsuit back on the rack and began to push more clothes aside.

"No, I'm looking for something that screams 'retro,' but that I can alter to look somewhat modern."

Nadia then paused when she found a denim shirt dress. It looked to be in pretty good condition, not being too faded or worn. She pulled it out and held it up for the girls.

"Now this is much better."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia held the shirt dress up to her chest and looked at herself in a nearby mirror. In most cases, Nadia thought full denim was the sign of white-trash cheapness, or a flashback to when Britney Spears dated Justin Timberlake. Still, it looked fine as a single piece, one that could handle her curves. If she had a good belt and some leggings, maybe did her hair in a certain way, she could come up with a cool photo concept. She might resemble June Carter Cash or Joni Mitchell, but that wasn't something she had tried before, so maybe it would be cool.

Nadia's attention turned back to the two girls by her. Fiyori was getting a little blunt with her comments. Sure, Nadia liked to tell people how it is, but usually she knew how to address people with some tact. Nadia did think the sunhat was a little over-the-top, but there's at least a better way to handle it.

"That hat's a little Easter parade," Nadia said to the girl, "but I think you'd probably look fine with a subtler one. I'll be right back."

Nadia began to walk over to the changing booth. She couldn't get too distracted by the allure of vintage denim. She needed to make sure the outfit actually fit her. Nadia wasn't religious, but this was the part of her shopping experiences where she began to hope there was some force that would allow her to get what she wanted without it being too small or unflattering.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia finished putting the shirt dress on. She had to undo the top button to breathe a little easier, but it looked like it fit her properly. In the changing room mirror, she could see that the outfit worked good for her. It hugged her hips in a way that didn't crease too much. It was a good start for an outfit, at the very least. All she needed was a belt, some leggings, good shoes, and maybe a hat. Then she had her photo concept down.

Well, it couldn't hurt to hear from the rabble.

Nadia stepped out of the changing booth, trying to show off how the shirt dress looked to the other two girls.

"So, would this look good in a picture?" she asked.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, that reaction was good enough for Nadia. These two girls seemed to react to the outfit well enough to let Nadia think it's be good for a photo. Fiyori did ask about the price.

"Uh, good question."

Nadia found the tag hanging off the shirt, under her armpit. $40. Nadia raised her eyebrows. That seemed a little hefty for a denim shirt dress. However, Nadia had to understand why it would be that much. Considering how old it was, how good the condition it was kept in, and probably blame to be placed on the economy, it was natural the shop would want it to cost a little more than expected.

"It's within my budget," she said.

Nadia looked over at the other girl. That Easter hat raised a good point. She should have a hat to go with the outfit. Hats were extra accessories and items to pose with. There had to be some good hats here as well.

"I'm gonna check the hats out next," she said, making her way over to the hat display.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia was about to reach the hat display when a guy came out of nowhere and nearly ran into her. Nadia froze, keeping her arms close to her chest as he avoided her, apologizing for his movement.

"No, it's fine, it's just..."

That's when Nadia saw the bright yellow short shorts in his hand. Nadia raised an eyebrow. They were an eyesore. Nadia wasn't sure when in history those would have been deemed fashionably acceptable, but they were really crazy looking. She seriously didn't hope this guy was looking to purchase those.

She took a quick look at the shorts, then back at the guy.

"You must be very brave," she said.

That's probably the nicest way I can address those shorts.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia kept a single eyebrow raised as the shorts guy stuttered out his response. It looked like she really caught him in an awkward situation, one that he decided to bail quickly from, tossing the shorts aside before rushing out. Nadia gave him half a smile as he ran off.

"Well, that was something," she muttered.

The other girl had to hurry off as well, leaving Nadia with Fiyori to try on silly hats.

"Sure, let's do this."

Nadia walked over to the hat display and grabbed the nearest hat. The hat was a black bowler hat. She put it on and looked at herself in the mirror. It looked kind of cute paired with the shirt dress.

"Be honest," she said to Fiyori, "how hipster can I get with these hats before I start to make people think I have a collection of fake square glasses?
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia put the bowler hat on and looked at herself in a mirror. It actually looked pretty good on her with the dress. Fiyori gave some general advice on what she should wear for the shoot. Nadia agreed with her assessment, even though it was pretty standard. Nadia nodded along.

I'd laugh at you if you was to wear that to school, though.

Nadia let out a chuckle.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to wear a bowler hat at school like I'm some fucking Brooklyn-hipster-Lena-Dunham-wannabe. It's purely for the craft."

"How about you? Any reason you're looking around here today?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, I get what you mean. This kind of shopping trip was pretty much funded by Christmas money from relatives," Nadia said to Fiyori. "This dress and hat will probably blow through three quarters of that money. Ah well, I deserve to treat myself."

Nadia brushed some hair aside.

"Well, I'm going to get this," she told Fiyori. "Thanks for the help."

Nadia walked away from the girl and back to the changing room. Now that she had the denim shirt dress and the bowler hat, she had to immediately think of the next stage of this photo shoot. She could search her wardrobe at home for extra accessories for the look, but now she needed to think about the setting.

Is there a good building to shoot this in? Maybe an abandoned warehouse or something? Nah, that's overdone. Then again, so is shooting out in the desert. Agh, is Kingman that weak on clever locations? Maybe I'll just model against a brick wall or something.

Nadia's mind continue to run as she changed back into her clothes and purchased the outfit. By the time she left the store, she still hadn't figure out what she was doing. At the very least, she knew she'd look good doing it.

((Nadia Riva continued in Pool Slingshot))
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Main Street · Next Topic »
Add Reply