Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Base and Bastardly Ballers We Be!; Cochise baseball team
Topic Started: Mar 24 2015, 09:39 PM (1,311 Views)
The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kingman seems like a pretty old school Americana kind of place, and what's more American than baseball? Especially since Kingman's real high schools seem to have some pretty good ballplayers, and the American pastime has something of a history in SOTF as it is. Cochise already has a few team members, so I thought having a one-stop shop thread would be a good way to organise who's where, figure out team dynamics and for people to express interest in joining up! While there's nine dudes on the field at a given point on the team, don't feel too pressured, because there's other roles needed after all. If you're interested in putting a guy on the team, follow the format here, name – handler name – position in mind.

Like Sansa did with the cheerleading thread, it'd probably also be cool to jot down known associates of the team.

Current Members:

Crisanto Luz – TBH – Starting pitcher
Cristobal Morales – backslash – Second baseman
Morgan Jones – Pippin – ???
Tony Lambert – Fiori – Shortstop
Alex Darby – DuckyB – Catcher
Jerry Fury (Who? :P) – MK Kilmarnock – First baseman
Gary Merlino – MurderWeasel – ???
Meryl Weaver - Namira - Starting pitcher
Irene Djezari - CicadaDays - Reliever
??? - Bro - ???
??? - yugi - Third baseman

Associates:

Other positions needed:
-Outfielders
-More fielders; even if all the infield positions fill up, we'll need people who can play backup and stuff.
-More starting pitchers; your typical baseball team has a five man rotation, to allow its pitchers to get enough rest between games, and high school baseball has mandatory rest periods for its pitchers, because pitching is actually super hard on your arms
-Relief pitchers; the guys in the bullpen waiting to pick up after the starter if he starts underperforming, getting tired, whatever
Edited by The Burned Handler, May 19 2015, 03:54 PM.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Based on the re-writes I'm doing for Alex, I'll put him in for consideration for catcher. It seems like the position he'd most likely angle for and suit him best, since he's at his top game when he's a defensive, overarching position. He's played for a long time and baseball is how he maintains tentative peace with his uncle, so he's pretty knowledgeable about the game. I'm only casually familiar with the sport but I'm throwing in hard on research for him anyway because I'm an obsessive nut. If the team'd prefer somebody else in that position, that's cool too, since it's an important one, just seems to be the best fit for him so far.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't have a character on the baseball team this time (did one last version), but most of those who do have come to me for advice on the topic. So if you're thinking about it but aren't sure you have a full grasp on it, feel free to come at me with any questions you might have.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DuckyB
Mar 24 2015, 10:19 PM
Based on the re-writes I'm doing for Alex, I'll put him in for consideration for catcher. It seems like the position he'd most likely angle for and suit him best, since he's at his top game when he's a defensive, overarching position. He's played for a long time and baseball is how he maintains tentative peace with his uncle, so he's pretty knowledgeable about the game. I'm only casually familiar with the sport but I'm throwing in hard on research for him anyway because I'm an obsessive nut. If the team'd prefer somebody else in that position, that's cool too, since it's an important one, just seems to be the best fit for him so far.
One thing I'd say to note well is the catcher is the most physically demanding position in baseball, them or the shortstop. Make sure Alex is someone who could handle the strain, especially since a lot of catchers end up developing knee problems down the road.

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
Mar 24 2015, 10:45 PM
One thing I'd say to note well is the catcher is the most physically demanding position in baseball, them or the shortstop. Make sure Alex is someone who could handle the strain, especially since a lot of catchers end up developing knee problems down the road.
Definitely, already on it! I've got three or four suggested workouts and making notes for how the length of his play will affect him. Main thing I need to work on is adjusting his build a bit for it, I think, but that's been in flux the whole time.
SotF Characters

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds good, I've noted you down and it doesn't sound like anyone's got a problem with that. We've still got plenty of openings though.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hey, only just spotted this thread. Actually have a name and general details for my baseballer, which shall copy/paste from the concepts thread.

Tony Lambert: An All-American baseball enthusiast with a passion for outdoor activities, Tony's the kind of guy who likes to live life to the fullest. Very boisterous and prone to boasting about his achievements, can occasionally be somewhat arrogant about it, but generally speaking he's a good-natured guy who doesn't go out of his way to antagonise others. That said, he isn't above teasing his more introverted classmates from time to time, mainly as a well-intentioned attempt at convincing them to open up more.
V5 Characters

Brian Zhdanovich - Homestead
Ruby Forrester - Shopping Mall
Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Neato, I'll edit it in. Remind me to grab you next you're in chat to hash out character ideas too.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gary Merlino plays baseball--what position is up in the air still as I draft his profile more. He's into the sport but it's not his life, so somewhere where he can contribute and ideally look good doing it without having too much leadership responsibility on him. He's a friendly and charming guy who's easy to get along with if you indulge him a bit, but who will nurse grudges for ages if you set him off. He's my next profile to work on, but I'm still poking his concept into shape at the moment.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Decided that Jerry Fury likes baseball. How lucky.

I'll take first base.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Updated! I hope for all our sakes he's better at baseball than MMA! Any runner will obviously be going to him first so he'll have to be a good fielder with quick reflexes to catch throws and stop plays, and teams will often put their power hitters in the corner positions (first and third, right field and left field), something to keep in mind when putting him together.

Speaking of updates, I wanted to note that this isn't just restricted to the first nine people to post. Baseball teams generally have a lot of players to work with, for purposes of positional depth - if you only have one guy who can play first base, what happens if he gets sick or injured or can't play on a given day? The starting lineup are the nine guys playing on a given day, and teams seem to often have a first string that are usually the starters, but substitutions and such are a thing. For example, look at these lists for the New York Mets, as well as these rosters for actual high school teams in the area (or at least the division Kingman's schools seem to be in for 2015). As you can see, there's room to put people in without worrying too much about room, and we can always hash out who's generally starting where among ourselves (or I guess assume the first nine to sign up are the usual starting lineup); plus, if you'd rather your guy be more of a backup player, the option is there.
Edited by The Burned Handler, Apr 23 2015, 11:19 AM.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Update: We have a QuickTopic! This is an easier way to plan together than trying to keep everything going through PMs, so TBH and I put it together for working out some of the finer details of the team. If interested, hop on in and give some feedback or pitch ideas of your own!
SotF Characters

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posting here for bookkeeping purposes. Will try to have a profile up within the next week or two.
The Living:

Matt Vartoogian -- Weapon: Unarmed -- "This isn't a game. This is evil." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Cassandra Black -- Weapon: Kama -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Virgil Jefferson-Davis -- Weapon: Saiga-12 -- "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've updated the OP to factor in you and Yugi.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's still openings for this! Especially since, with Cicada gone, I have no idea whether Irene is still part of the team (Ohm?).

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V6 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply