Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kingman info thread; Thanks for the sticky!
Topic Started: Mar 8 2015, 02:13 AM (1,591 Views)
The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, everyone. Since Kingman is somewhat less iconic than the past few RL SOTF cities (Ithaca doesn't count because Barry Coleson didn't even have an exact location until Meg thought to give it one post-v1), I thought a thread to compile resources and information about the city could be a good idea, so that local details can be presented more authentically and people can get a better feel for the location when writing. Here people can post information they find on Kingman and Mohave County that they think might be useful for developing characters/helping pregame make use of the locale. Much like the general resources thread in RP Discussion, this is open for anyone to contribute to, so have at! First, I'd like to open with a cool post Maraoone made in the resource thread:

Mara's post

Obviously, on top of this, a good place to start would be the Wikipedia page and the Kingman category it's part of, which should at least be a nice primer on the basics, plus Wikipedia articles usually have helpful links as references cited by the page. On top of that some of the stuff I'd like to start us off with:

* All About Kingman is exactly what it says, home to a huge amount of directories on all sorts of useful Kingman info, be it holidays, guides, area businesses (like this industry guide, great for deciding what your character's family does for a living!) or whatever else. There's a bunch of useful info on the front page outside the links, too, and while there's a blocker set up to keep you from right-clicking, that can be beaten by clicking out of the dialog box, opening another one and then checking "prevent this page from creating additional dialogs". Just be careful with this site, because while there's loads of info here and most of it is just a dry presentation of links, there's still a fair amount of clear pro-Kingman bias in how it's presented.

* Go Kingman has some of the same "beware of bias" issues, but it's a really good stop for tourist info, local attractions, fun facts, etc. all in one easy to navigate site. Includes info on stuff like Kingman's indoor shooting range, a big bowling alley, local hiking trails, diners like this one and more. Kingman seems to be a really outdoorsy place in general, in terms of what there is to do for fun. One of the fun facts is that the mines around Kingman are one of the leading suppliers of turquoise!

* I recommend tooling around in Google Maps a little just to get a feel for the place, landmarks, what stuff looks like, what's around, stuff like that. Plus screwing around in street view is fun and you can look up how far away Kingman is from places. Las Vegas is really close, Los Angeles is a day trip distance-wise, Flagstaff and Phoenix are only a few hours away, all that good stuff.

* The Kingman Daily Miner and The Kingman Standard are the main newspapers for the area, so reading up on their websites couldn't hurt.

* Kingman is the seat of Mohave County, so the county website is a good stop.

* This site has a tonne of stuff to chew on, from overviews of crime rates and demographics to cost of living, climate, transport info, comments from people living there and real estate listings. There's some pretty nice places in Kingman, though by all the info I've been able to find there's a lot of real dumps there too, like the Butler area. A lot of listings are for lots of land where they plan to build houses for clients; that shouldn't be a problem for us, since y'know, artistic licence and all. Who's to say what's an empty lot IRL hasn't been developed in that version of Kingman? It also compares the info for Kingman with the rest of the US so you can see where things stand.

* These sites give more in-depth info on crime and stuff in the area. Looks like meth is still a big problem around there.

* Here is a site with useful info on the schools in the city, from elementary to high school. Kingman High School's actual site might help too, to get a feel for clubs offered and such. I mean, a lot of that will depend on how staff designs Cochise, but still.

* Forum threads like this one (don't be thrown by the name - it's an abbreviation of the actual thread title) can be useful too, since you get people living in Kingman talking about the place. This is a shorter but more recent discussion on the same site, and this one goes on for a while too.

* A note of trivia: One thing I find people consistently saying is it's apparently very windy in Kingman. 10-15 mph on average it seems, and pretty constant.

That seems like a good amount for now, but I'll likely continue to add to this later on, as well as bringing more links in future posts. That aside, feel free to have at it!
Edited by The Burned Handler, Mar 8 2015, 09:12 PM.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's more to be found but a) it's three in the morning, and b) I felt it should be more of a "anyone can contribute" thread as opposed to digging up everything myself. :P Thanks, glad you like it!

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, don't underestimate being able to get a ground-level look like in those pics, also why I recommended street view in the original post.

For Cochise athletes, the AIA website could be a helpful resource, since that's the governing body of school sports in Arizona. It has lots of info about specific sports, news, resources, etc. This site is also helpful, as it includes divisional listings, standings, previous seasons' results, rosters, the works.

Jobswise, I found some more helpful sites that could help people determine characters' parents' careers and such. While these first two are mostly government jobs, the Mohave County website's human resources section gives a really good breakdown on a lot of different career options, including job descriptions and lists of monthly and annual income. This site has some Kingman-specific info on what's currently available, too. Simply Hired has a more general listing of jobs available in Kingman that could be useful for determining where your character works, if they do, and includes stuff like number of job openings, median income for the city, etcetera. Likewise, here is a breakdown of jobs in the area by industry.

Outside of jobs, the Kingman city website has a load of useful info, including full .pdf reports on government meetings and such.
Edited by The Burned Handler, Mar 14 2015, 03:18 PM.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm gonna update this thread now that pregame is open! Anyone want specific info for the next post?

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is a breakdown of average temperatures in Kingman - as you can see, it actually gets pretty chilly in January! They even get snow sometimes in winters, though right this minute it's 73 degrees there.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not great for Kingman itself but very useful for getting the right Arizona vibe, especially since Kingman's in hunting/outdoorsy stuff territory.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for bumping the thread! I've kind of dropped the ball on hunting down more Kingman info, partly because I'm not sure what people are interested in.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's not really information per se, but for the three or so people still doing pregame, I thought this photo series could be cool to look at.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · V6 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply