Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V6 Siblings
Topic Started: Nov 23 2014, 08:28 AM (4,004 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clan Founders: Gregory and Avee Luz (Grandchild of Immigrants from Spain and native Mojave women respectively)

3rd Child Tomas

Hey

4th Child Erica

O

5th Child Oliver and his wife Melody

7th Child Emily and her husband Amos

Edited by Grim Wolf, Feb 8 2016, 01:10 AM.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It will depend on where we end up, obviously, but the early draft is that several decades before the grandparents managed to first buy several acres of land outside of (whatever city we end up in), and gradually built a house out there. As time went on other members of the family also built their houses and brought their families on the land, becoming a strange little village compound with cousins and siblings all around, so it's just a big family thing.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Family members can be at least half from any background, but I definitely want to decide what the original line was based on researching the area we end up in, so hold off at least a little on ethnicity stuff until we can make that work.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As the ORIGINAL V6 RELATIONSHIP THREAD (TM), I think I should leap back into the public consciousness.

So as things currently stand I'm thinking the Luz family is from a mixed Mohave/Mexican background, and with such a big family there's obviously a lot of potential for things to go different ways. Some rough sketches of the patriarch/matriarch of the clan involve him being tangentially involved in some early military contract work, which could have spun out into some Las Vegas investments/possibly Mafia connections for people who want to have a darker backstory? But that's just me spitballing, and Lizzy Luz is not going to have that going on. She's just gonna be a kid from the compound who spends a lot of her time roaming around Kingman.

How's that sound?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cool cool. I'll do Lizzy as my first submission to give some more details about the original founding members of the family and firm up some details about their history, and then the rest of us can elaborate on that in our respective profiles/in-character interactions. Sound good?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think the Luz family as a whole is hardcore "prepper" though they are probably some prepper elements (I'm think the family has its roots in the Depression). So it's totally possible that more extreme members of the family could be? Liz's parents are pretty hippy-dippy, but we got room to play.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rough sketch.

Quote:

Years ago, her great-grandparents, Gregory and Avee Luz (a second-generation immigrant Spanish immigrant to California and a Mojave woman, respectively) recently married and hurting from the depression, came to Kingman shortly before the US entered into World War II. Gregory was exempt from the draft as a result of a leg lost in a childhood accident, but as business boomed around Kingman he was able to establish a name for himself as an automotive and airplane mechanic. After making a small fortune doing contract work for the Ford Motor Company (and some more shady construction for some local Mafia with Las Vegans connections), Avee and Gregory purchased several acres of land just outside of town, determined to make themselves self-sufficient so they would never again be vulnerable to events like the Great Depression. Calling in numerous favors from the various friends and contacts Gregory had made in his years of work around the area, they were able to build a sprawling three-story farmhouse out on their own land with their own crops

This sprawling house became the core of the Luz family compound, spreading out among the acres of land all around, a miniature village of its own. Many of Gregory and Avee's numerous children ended up living on the land themselves, building their own houses and additions to the property, purchasing the outlying territory that no one else wanted.

I figure there's a number of ways their children could have turned out--we could explain more hardcore prepper elements, potential criminal connections, people who went on to be middle-or-upper-class from this foundation established by Gregory and Avee, etc. etc. The only solid detail I have is that Lizzie's family (along with maybe one other) occupies the massive house that sits at the center of the land.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was looking at it two ways; a) it gives people who want a more firm mafia connection as part of their backstory an entry-point to an organization that is notoriously focused on history/connections family and b) this is an extremely rough sketch to give people interested in being some branch of the family some ideas as to what I'm thinking (hence why the mafia connection is limited to a single parenthetical phrase)

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They're not illegitimately wealthy at all. The contract work they did was entirely legal, just on the shady side because they knew who they were working with. Hence why any characters who want a more serious mafia connection can capitalize on a family history to segue into it. I know people were interested, so I thought "eh, what the hell."

Also, for the era of history we're discussing, the mafia stranglehold is at once more open and more powerful than it is in modern times. The more-open environment is a relatively recent thing.

(mind this is based on some relatively sketchy info, since it's hard to get hard numbers on criminal enterprises)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Jan 24 2015, 08:28 PM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So let me see if I understand; because Arizona has a history of mafia connections (enough for it to be a stereotype) all the people who were previously in favor of such a connection (i.e. Bowser) are now against it because it strikes them as stereotypical based largely on Handler's objections. Am I reading that correctly?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Again, Lizzie has no connection to the mafia, so this has no bearing on my character development. My issue would be if anyone wants to be a member of the Luz clan and have mafia connections as part of their backstory. If that's not a problem, it's easily scrapped. Will of the people?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I meant mafia connections. Based on some cursory research, in the grandparents' time period (and for the next few decades) Arizona was a popular retirement/lay low state for mafia with Las Vegas connections. The cartels have a relatively recent presence in the States.

To reiterate, however, it has no bearing on Lizzie's character development, so does anyone who wants a connection to both mafia and the Luz family, cast your vote now.

If you want some other connection, that can be from your own background.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, some quick notes as I've developed the family further.

Gregory and Avee Luz had 8 children, most of whom are as yet unnamed or unidentified, so that's a lot of room for you to play and if you want a kid with a different last name somehow tied to the Luz family, just have it be a child who changed their name. I'm thinking two or three of those children might be old enough to have grandchildren themselves, in case that's the route you'd rather go. Lizzie is the child of the Luz's 5th child, Oliver, and his wife Melody.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Additional notes I didn't address as pointed out by Burned Handler; Lizzie and her parents live in the gargantuan main house along with one or two of the other families. (Or maybe the extended family of one of the elder children). Economic status should be generally middle class, but there's a lot of leeway; the family has a lot of land and stuff that they tend to share amongst themselves, so their economic class is nebulous across the board.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd say give them whatever relationship you generally want for your specific branch of the family. Tbh I'm pretty sure Gregory and Avee are dead now, so they shouldn't factor in too much, but Avee was a kindly but sometimes cynical woman who always felt a little trapped by her circumstances and Gregory was a generally practical man who nevertheless had a bit of the Willy Loman dreamer to him, possibly with some family who got caught in the Spanish Civil War.

Personally (though this probably won't come up for Lizzie), Oliver and Gregory were on relatively good terms, but he rarely acknowledged his Mojave heritage, a fact which always left things a little frosty between the two.

I should also mention that Gregory is specifically of Spanish descent, not Latin-American.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V6 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply