Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V6 Siblings
Topic Started: Nov 23 2014, 08:28 AM (4,254 Views)
Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
That sounds like a cool idea Grim! Honestly I'd be cool with the minor mafia connection, and it would add a nice little flavor to the whole thing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was thinking on a concept with some organised crime family connections and whatnot, though some people didn't want me to do it so I wasn't sure. We could maybe hash something out though? Of course, Cosa Nostra isn't as much of a thing in Vegas as it used to be. Outside of that I could see about throwing together a Luz maybe, too.

(Funny enough, I was going to make a Mohave concept when we found out the location, but there's not really enough info extant and some of the current state of that tribe isn't compatible with my plans, so now that character is Navajo instead.)
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm still onboard with this with Lily Caldwell. Who I'm now thinking is Luz on her mother's side and going with a kinda ethnic mishmash with her dad being whiter (since the original intention was to just have her white as hell.)
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm still considering making a Luz kid. For right now, her name's Emma Aguilar Luz. I might post about her soon in the concepts thread. X3
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cool cool. I'll do Lizzy as my first submission to give some more details about the original founding members of the family and firm up some details about their history, and then the rest of us can elaborate on that in our respective profiles/in-character interactions. Sound good?
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Someone did some research and mentioned in chat that there is apparently a large "prepper" community in the general vicinity of Kingman. Are any of the Luz a part of that type of thing? It kind of fits with the whole family-compound vibe, I think.
Version 5

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think the Luz family as a whole is hardcore "prepper" though they are probably some prepper elements (I'm think the family has its roots in the Depression). So it's totally possible that more extreme members of the family could be? Liz's parents are pretty hippy-dippy, but we got room to play.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm actually kinda considering something like that for Emma's parents. My idea was that they got anxious after seeing all the child abductions going on, so they made Ems (and any siblings) take self-defense classes, as well as arranging hiking trips. This admittedly came about after a bit of fridge logic along the lines of "You know, things like self-defense classes or basic survival training for teens seems like it'd be pretty popular in SOTFverse for obvious reasons". So, maybe this fits with the whole prepper idea, at least on Emma's part of the family?

Sounds good, Grim! I can't wait to see info on Lizzy and the Luzs!
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I suppose the idea has to have some leeway since parents still let their kids go on any school trips ever. :P

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rough sketch.

Quote:

Years ago, her great-grandparents, Gregory and Avee Luz (a second-generation immigrant Spanish immigrant to California and a Mojave woman, respectively) recently married and hurting from the depression, came to Kingman shortly before the US entered into World War II. Gregory was exempt from the draft as a result of a leg lost in a childhood accident, but as business boomed around Kingman he was able to establish a name for himself as an automotive and airplane mechanic. After making a small fortune doing contract work for the Ford Motor Company (and some more shady construction for some local Mafia with Las Vegans connections), Avee and Gregory purchased several acres of land just outside of town, determined to make themselves self-sufficient so they would never again be vulnerable to events like the Great Depression. Calling in numerous favors from the various friends and contacts Gregory had made in his years of work around the area, they were able to build a sprawling three-story farmhouse out on their own land with their own crops

This sprawling house became the core of the Luz family compound, spreading out among the acres of land all around, a miniature village of its own. Many of Gregory and Avee's numerous children ended up living on the land themselves, building their own houses and additions to the property, purchasing the outlying territory that no one else wanted.

I figure there's a number of ways their children could have turned out--we could explain more hardcore prepper elements, potential criminal connections, people who went on to be middle-or-upper-class from this foundation established by Gregory and Avee, etc. etc. The only solid detail I have is that Lizzie's family (along with maybe one other) occupies the massive house that sits at the center of the land.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm a little worried about the organised crime connections honestly. You do that a lot, and also having the Mexican-American family be connected to crime seems pretty stereotypical in the bad way?

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was looking at it two ways; a) it gives people who want a more firm mafia connection as part of their backstory an entry-point to an organization that is notoriously focused on history/connections family and b) this is an extremely rough sketch to give people interested in being some branch of the family some ideas as to what I'm thinking (hence why the mafia connection is limited to a single parenthetical phrase)

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Keep in mind also the Mafia doesn't have the stranglehold on Vegas it used to, there's more groups than La Cosa Nostra in the American underworld, and also having the Mexican-American family be criminals/connected to crime is a bit problematic unless handled with extreme care. Like, it kind of ties into real-Arizona's "they're all cartel members/illegal immigrants" stance and whatnot. Why can't they be wealthy legitimately?
Edited by The Burned Handler, Jan 24 2015, 08:15 PM.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They're not illegitimately wealthy at all. The contract work they did was entirely legal, just on the shady side because they knew who they were working with. Hence why any characters who want a more serious mafia connection can capitalize on a family history to segue into it. I know people were interested, so I thought "eh, what the hell."

Also, for the era of history we're discussing, the mafia stranglehold is at once more open and more powerful than it is in modern times. The more-open environment is a relatively recent thing.

(mind this is based on some relatively sketchy info, since it's hard to get hard numbers on criminal enterprises)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Jan 24 2015, 08:28 PM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Working it in based just on sketchy info seems like a bad position to start from to me, but I'm not staff, I don't have any authority to go like "don't do this." I just think it'd a bit iffy to have the wealthy Mexican-American family be connected to organised crime.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V6 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply