Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Introduction Thread; Introduce Yourself Here!
Topic Started: Jan 4 2009, 06:50 PM (9,539 Views)
TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome back, Xaldien!
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome back, Xaldien! It's always cool to see folks return (granted I was like barely a member when you were active I think, so you probably don't remember me ><).
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And now we have assumed complete control!
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Goto Top

MuseMan
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Uh, hi. Hopefully this is still the place where everyone introduces themselves, or I'll look like a bit of a tool otherwise. I'm MuseMan, as the icon on the left probably already told you, and now that preparations for V6 are beginning I figured I'd try to overcome my trepidation and stick my head in. I do have some roleplaying experience, though it's mostly of the tabletop variety. The amount of free time I have is limited at best, but hopefully I should still be able to take part, assuming I don't bug the hell out of everybody.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heya, MuseMan, and welcome to SOTF! You should take a look at the Mini, the chat, and the New Handler's Guide, to help you get an idea of how we work and how we differ from other RPs (the last also has a bit on board etiquette for better non-bugging chances). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any other staffer (we have purple names). We hope you enjoy it here!
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Privyet
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Hi, I'm privyet. I'm new to SOTF (and stuff like this in general) but not to roleplaying. It looks like I joined at a good time, considering the last game just ended!
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heya, Privyet! I know you've already encountered all the stuff I usually link since we talked about the New Handler's Guide in chat, so I'll just extend a welcome here. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any other staffer (we have purple names). Glad to have you aboard. :)
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Maromar
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Hail and well met!

I came across this merry little corner of bloodshed from the land of TV tropes, Iv'e been doing RPs for four years now and also dabble in PC strategy games. I'm quite happy that I could sign up for this site before the beginning of season six, SoTF reminds me a lot of "Lord of the Flies" and seems to be one of the more well-written boards I've stalked (discounting S1, though it has a value of its own if only for hilarity).

I look forward to making carnage with all of you.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V6 Characters:Uriah Bryd
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, Maromar! Welcome to SOTF! You should check out the Mini, the chat, and the New Handler's Guide. I'm glad you've already done some poking around, and yeah, V1 is very different from how things work now. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any other staffer (we have purple names). We hope you like it here!
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ayyy, so I do the thing and introduce myself. I've casually stalked this RP for some time, it seems so well done and inclusive due to how it's set up, but I haven't really had the time to make a pass at joining until now. Good timing given v6 is revving up and all!

I've already looked through a lot of the resources and I'm drafting up a character concept, but I suppose I have to be that guy who has questions off the bat: Is SOTF temporally in the present 2015ish? Need to know for character timelines and all. If I'm not mistaken we can have a character from any high school grade level Freshman-Senior for v6? And finally I don't seem to see many people who will run two characters of their roster as siblings. Is it explicitly frowned upon by rule or just avoided for other reasons?
V7

V6 - Like you imagined when you... were young...
Offline Profile Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome, Cicada Days, to Survival of the Fittest! You should take a look at the Mini, the chat, and the New Handler's Guide. I see you already have some questions which I'll try to answer in just a moment, but as a reminder, staff members (anybody with a purple name on the boards) are always available to answer whatever questions you may have.

A lot of your queries have been answered at the V6 Q&A Thread, but I can give some abbreviated versions. V6 will be taking place in as close to present time as we can make, so yes, 2015. You can only make students from junior or senior grades, NOT freshman or sophomore, and the same handler writing two siblings is not explicitly forbidden in our rules... but we do frown upon it slightly because it doesn't really promote interactivity. In the past, handlers who have written a pair of siblings by themselves tend to have written with themselves or with a very restricted group, and we try to encourage everybody to write with as many people as possible. That's the name of the game, here!

What you might be able to do, though, is get somebody else to write the other sibling. There's a very high chance somebody will be more than willing to join you.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heya, Cicada Days! Welcome to SOTF. I see you've gotten most of your answers, so I'll just go ahead and elaborate briefly on the discussion of characters being related.

One of the biggest reasons we suggest avoiding it is that, historically, characters written together have not often been their writers' best works. Due to the SOTF medium and style, it can really easily lead to one character taking precedence in an awkward and unnatural way that damages both stories, to both characters being used to try to indirectly characterize each other in really forced ways, or to a bunch of redundancy and awkwardness in scenes due to attempts to give them equal precedence. It usually doesn't come out well, even in the hands of otherwise-capable writers. Because this is only an issue of quality, we don't have explicit rules forbidding it--if someone really wants to try, they're welcome to--but we highly caution against it because in the past nine out of ten times it has led to the weakening of characters who otherwise had pretty solid potential.

If you'd like to chat about your ideas in that respect further, or some of the issues I've seen arise, please feel totally free to drop me a PM. Once again, welcome to SOTF! We hope you enjoy it here. :)
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MK Kilmarnock
Mar 29 2015, 12:12 PM
You can only make students from junior or senior grades, NOT freshman or sophomore
Not to contradict Ricky here, but to clarify a little, in pregame you can theoretically put a character in any grade, but only juniors and seniors will be able to go into v6 proper.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
Mar 29 2015, 04:00 PM
MK Kilmarnock
Mar 29 2015, 12:12 PM
You can only make students from junior or senior grades, NOT freshman or sophomore
Not to contradict Ricky here, but to clarify a little, in pregame you can theoretically put a character in any grade, but only juniors and seniors will be able to go into v6 proper.
Sort of! To clarify: any non-Junior/Senior characters would be submitted through the NPC process, the details of which we haven't put up yet. It's a subtle distinction, but one that can be fairly important in how everything plays out (and a lot of it has to do with allocation of staff resources--full critiques can take a bunch of time and effort and while it's fine and expected for lots of characters to not reach the game proper, when there's not even a chance of them doing so due to the rules of the game, we'd rather avoid it).
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

BCTheEntity
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
It kind of seems like this whole thing is starting to not be alive, almost, judging by how few people are present anywhere in it, and especially considering the time it took me to get validated. Still, I suppose it's probably a good show to introduce myself, so hi there, anyone reading this! I'm BC.
I am new to the board.
Losers Dead At My Hands: 0
Tombs Raided: 0
Guns Achieved: N/A
Aliens Shot Down: 0
Want to be friends with my V6 characters? Talk about that here: s10.zetaboards.com/SOTF_V2/topic/7534815/1/
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic