Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
National Novel Writing Month 2014; known to other people as 'November'
Topic Started: Oct 31 2014, 07:24 AM (1,173 Views)
Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
So, for those unaware of what NaNoWriMo is, it's a writing challenge wherein you have to write a 50,000 word-novel within the month of November. There are also Camp NaNoWriMos in April and July for those who want something more relaxed (they also come with adjustable goals).

Here, you can post about if you're writing, if so, what you're writing about, how prepared/unprepared you are, how close to the goal you are, setbacks, bursts of inspiration, etc, etc. This year, I'm somehow less prepared than last year because I forgot about NaNoWriMo's existence up until yesterday. So, I'm heading into this with only the barest idea of what I'm going to write. Hurray.

How about you guys?
Edited by Maraoone, Oct 31 2014, 07:26 AM.
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

"Mara was a mistake." - Cicada, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I plan on working on the Nano I started a couple years back but I won't be doing nano officially.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sort of similar. I'm 200 pages into my next book and less than halfway through, so I'm just gonna burn hard on that and get it done.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm looking to launch a few new role play type things, and I'll be using NANO as an excuse to do a lot of legwork on it.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Won a few years ago but I simply won't have the dedication to do it this year. I have too much going on November. Last year I was just too lazy, two years ago I was in the middle of a move... yeah. NaNo just ain't good for me lately.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
"Now everybody do the propaganda, and sing along to the age of paranoia."
[ * ]
I've attempted NaNoWriMo almost every year since I was 16, but never actually finished. Going to attempt it again this year. :)

My plan is to rewrite "Star Trek: Into Darkness" to see if I can make it better. I thought that movie had potential but wasn't very good.
"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
It's almost 1 AM and I'm past 1,500 words already. Feeling pretty good as of now : D
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had an idea to lengthen a short story I wrote into a novel, and had ideas on how to do it. I have a lot of free time this month, so I want to attempt it. My problem is that I haven't made an outline yet and am not completely sure on how to proceed. That's probably going to be a big challenge for me.

Anywho, my idea is to do a romantic drama. One story line is about a couple at a movie marathon and how the event brings up a lot of issues with their relationship. The other story is about the director of the movies being shown at the marathon and his relationship with an actress over several years.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Just noting that you guys can always try this strategy here. It's frontloaded, but designed so that by November 30, you only have to write one word to reach 50,000. I'm trying this, and am 3,000 words in so far : D
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When I actually won, my curve was positively ridiculous. I'll try and dig around the old NaNo thread to see if I can still find it.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

trash
Member Avatar
shhhhh
[ * ]
ehhh i've never been a NaNo fan. it seems like it's way more likely to burn someone out for a while than actually foster good writing habits. plus i kinda resent that it's aimed a novels rather than just being "write a bunch of shit" month, i'd rather saw off my own hands than write a novel

i've got a bunch of stuff rolling around that i need to get my ass in gear for tho, so i'm gonna casually see if i can make the 50k goal

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think NaNo's a great project if approached with the right attitude. It's pretty much aimed at getting people who don't attempt such projects to actually try creative things, or at serving as an external motivation to those who stall. I think the key things to internalize, though, are that if you fail to hit 50,000, hey, you're still [however many words you did write] above where youd'v'e been otherwise. I'm a bit cavalier abut the rules and requirements, I guess, because I've done it three or four times in the past (and gave up a quarter through another when I realized I wasn't writing very well).

That said, I'm sitting this year out, I think. Maybe I'll aim for 50k of various site things I owe or school stuff, but probably not. NaNo is great fun, but unfortunately my other creative responsibilities go very poorly with burning through first drafts, and I'd end up feeling bad if I put NaNo ahead of stuff.

Good luck to those attempting it, though! I know you all have it in you, and I can't wait to hear about your results. :)
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You're all going to fail.

Because while Toben is the encouragement I must be the guy who you want to prove wrong.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
"Now everybody do the propaganda, and sing along to the age of paranoia."
[ * ]
See that's why I set a low goal for myself. Whatever shit I write is probably going to be better than that movie. I hope.
"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply