Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ask a Mod
Topic Started: Oct 29 2014, 08:29 AM (846 Views)
Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is just a suggestion for the SOTF staff:

I know we already have a chat room and the function of PM to ask questions, but not everyone uses chat, not everyone is on chat all the time (Staff or the handler asking), PM's to one staff member or even to the HELP account might not be immediately responded to, while there could be available staff around, who could reply sooner. (Saying this as a person who actually has a "PM Thread" since I first started here in Jan 2010, of questions directly back and forth with quite the speedy replier of the staff team, which I will probably continue to use, so I'm not suggesting this as a complaint of any kind. Just think it could help)

My thought is that perhaps a convenient way for, just about anyone really, is to have a thread specifically used as a place to ask questions to the staff basically, for any that may be online and available at the time to answer. I figure the more private/personal issues could be spoken through PM, but there might be some matters that could be helpful if asked/answered publicly, as a place of reference rather than repeatedly asking/answered by different people. Things such as useful FAQs written out can be directed as answers, etc, in one organized and convenient place. It's helpful, because a handler wouldn't need to jump into the chat room simply to ask a question, they could ask it and come back later. The idea has been used with much success from my experience. Perhaps, SOTF could adopt it as well, maybe? That's pretty much all for my suggestion = > an "Ask a Mod" thread. Hope you like the idea.

Q: As for a question since I'm here anyway suggesting on having a thread on asking about stuff, I was just wondering to myself if there's a board function where we could "bookmark" particular threads to our sotf board profiles here to easily click and get back to later. I didn't see one here, but I know some forums have that bookmark option. I figure it would be a particularly useful function on a board with a writing/story theme such as ours. I can't find one, so I doubt it exists, but I hope there is one, couldn't hurt to ask right.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Question: Boxers or briefs?

Legit Question: What sort of protocols are in place to stop plagiarism, and what can the community expect the Staff team's response to be?
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Oct 29 2014, 09:27 AM
Question: Boxers or briefs?

Legit Question: What sort of protocols are in place to stop plagiarism, and what can the community expect the Staff team's response to be?
We have a plagiarism cyborg.

As far as plagiarism in posts, we're human-like creatures. If we notice it in posts then it gets addressed. This actually happened in v4. Someone was caught plagiarizing a popular author in posts. Not wanting to shame the person, a public warning was put out to deter plagiarism citing that we'd seen someone doing it. The person took that to heart and stopped.

Had they continued we would have started discussing punishment.

We've had some plagiarism profiles in the past. First one is tossed and the person is given a warning. We've not had repeat offenders, but it would probably be met with a ban.
things

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Psychedelic
Oct 29 2014, 08:29 AM
Q: As for a question since I'm here anyway suggesting on making a thread on asking about stuff, I was just wondering to myself if there's a board function where we could "bookmark" particular threads to our sotf board profiles here to easily click and get back to later. I didn't see one here, but I know some forums have that bookmark option. I figure it would be a particularly useful function on a board with a writing/story theme such as ours. I can't find one, so I doubt it exists, but I hope there is one, couldn't hurt to ask right.
As far as I know, the answer is no. You have to use the bookmarks on your browser.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

Badb
Member Avatar
Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MK Kilmarnock
Oct 29 2014, 11:26 AM
Psychedelic
Oct 29 2014, 08:29 AM
Q: As for a question since I'm here anyway suggesting on making a thread on asking about stuff, I was just wondering to myself if there's a board function where we could "bookmark" particular threads to our sotf board profiles here to easily click and get back to later. I didn't see one here, but I know some forums have that bookmark option. I figure it would be a particularly useful function on a board with a writing/story theme such as ours. I can't find one, so I doubt it exists, but I hope there is one, couldn't hurt to ask right.
As far as I know, the answer is no. You have to use the bookmarks on your browser.
Not true! Scroll down to the bottom of the thread and you'll find a "Track Topic" option. Tracked topics will appear in your User Control Panel.
V5:
B035 - Ray Gilbert - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, neat! You learn a new thing every day.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Badb
Member Avatar
Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll throw a quick tutorial together if anyone's interested. It makes following characters so much easier.
V5:
B035 - Ray Gilbert - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah, that's convenient, exactly what I was looking for since I use the user note pad on the same screen often too, thank you for that tip there. See, it never hurts to ask. :}

I can edit the OP a little to simplify the intent of use for the thread, since the questions and answers have already begun. A routine clean up of filler posts once in a while is all it takes if things start getting lost in the mix (suggestion again).

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heya! This is a cool suggestion, and actually ties into a thing we had planned back in early V5. I'll see if I can drum up some interest in reviving that. That said, I'd like to ask everyone to take it a bit easy at the moment.

The big issue with staff replies is that they're rarely a one-person affair unless it's something where we already have a set of protocols completely written up. As such, any reply involves some fairly intensive drafting/discussion. I'm bumping back the old staff lounge thread to see what we can do there (turns out to be even older than I thought--December 2012. Whoops! ><), but there's a pretty good chance any such thread won't be much faster than PMing and won't involve off the cuff rulings simply because we like to make really sure anything incorporated into precedent is thought through completely.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Frankly, I'm disappointed that the staff haven't come together to discuss my boxers vs briefs question. The community has a right to know.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
"Now everybody do the propaganda, and sing along to the age of paranoia."
[ * ]
Well, not on staff, but I think that boxers are comfier than briefs, although frankly men's underwear in general is way comfier than women's. Probably more than you guys ever wanted to know. :)
"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
JDelgado
Oct 29 2014, 04:13 PM
Well, not on staff, but I think that boxers are comfier than briefs, although frankly men's underwear in general is way comfier than women's. Probably more than you guys ever wanted to know. :)
Banned for speaking for staff/spilling confidential staff secrets. >:C
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wear boxers to bed that I steal from guys. During the day I wear metal underpants to go with my suit of armor
things

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
For private reasons, I'd like to request that everyone refers to me only by Cake or by username, from now on, please?

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This probably isn't the right place for that. But sure.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply