Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V5 BKA/BDA Voting: August/September 2014
Topic Started: Sep 25 2014, 08:54 PM (600 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You all know the drill by now. We'll leave this running for four days or so. These are the last awards for V5; we'll probably pull exciting quotes from Endgame as it unfolds after this month.

BEST KILL AWARD:
Hansel Williams, for killing Leona Van Kamp
Gray Emerson, for killing Sean Mulcahy
Matt Vartoogian, for killing Tyler Lucas
KK Konipaski, for killing Finn Grant

BEST DEATH AWARD:
Outfoxd, for the death of Leona Van Kamp
Munnin, for the death of Takeshi Yoshikawa
Maraoone, for the death of Juhan Levandi
Fioriboy, for the death of Ruby Forrester
MK Kilmarnock, for the death of Sean Mulcahy
Grim Wolf, for the death of Tyler Lucas
Will, for the death of Finn Grant
dmboogie, for the death of Michael Mitchellson
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Electronic Drug Dealer
Unregistered

The final votes! I'm gonna make it simple and explain both of my choices since they are in the same scene.

For this vote, I vote for Gray Emerson's murder of Sean Mulcahy as the Best Kill and Sean Mulcahy's death for Best Death. I really liked this scene because it payed off for a lot of build up for both Gray and Sean's stories. Sean's been going mad the whole time, with one bad incident after another pushing him further off the deep end. Gray, I feel, is someone who has just been overwhelmed by the whole situation, losing friend after friend and just generally being exacerbated by being in such a stressful environment for so long. I like this scene for both characters because it's finally when everything breaks apart.

Gray finally realizes how far gone Sean is, and makes the very serious decision to end his friend's life. It's not an easy choice, but I feel Sean killing Ami is what gave him that final push to realize there was no saving Sean. Sean, meanwhile, has to accept that his friend has killed him. Since his first post, Sean is clearly someone who is afraid of dying, trying to mask it by being a pirate. It's finally come down on him, and for him to die knowing it was his friend who did it is such a tragic way to go.

I applaud Deamon and Kilmarnock for being awesome in this scene, and I'm really glad I followed these characters for so long. I think they're both deserving of these awards, and I can't wait to see what comes next from the handlers.
Goto Top

Geust
Unregistered

BKA: KK, because the fight between Finn and her was pretty nice and became even more awesome when Mara came. And how she killed him was also pretty worth to note. And KK getting the last BKA ends the BKAs in a circle, which is nice. She seems to be the terrorists favourite. And I know why. Cause awesome.

BDA: dmboogie, because Michael has very good quotes that I could see on the top of the site. That and the death was super unexpected. Like, it really was. The fight with Joe and Hansel was a epic stand off and what I said. I did not expect that. It was awesome.
Goto Top

HOOP - THERE IT IS
Unregistered

For my BDA award, I nominate Mararoone, for the death of Juhan Levandi. Juhan wasn't a great character to me throughout his run, but Mara really brought it in the death thread, really hammering home some excellent themes and doing really really great legwork to make the audience feel Juhan's pain.

BKA, which was much tougher, goes to Gray, for killing Sean. This is twofold in reasoning: firstly, because the Gray/Sean exchange is a truly fine piece of writing and deserves recognition, and secondly I want to see how Gray handles being rewarded in character for a murder of a friend. Lots of momentum to be won and lost there.
Goto Top

hypehypehypehype
Unregistered

For BKA, I'm going to choose Gray Emerson, for killing Sean Mulcahy.

I really liked what went on in this scene. Mainly the fact that Gray didn't feel like he was choosing, but that he had to kill Sean, and the brevity of the actual kill-post. It was really neat.

For BDA, I choose dmboogie, for the death of Michael Mitchellson. Honestly, everyone in this scene did an incredibly amazing job, and what I liked the most here was the bitterness and the desperation involved. It was really shocking to see a character who, from being some silly comic-relief character at his start and up until rather recently, had turned into this. And I loved it.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Gray Emerson for killing Sean Mulcahy. It was a great end for Sean and Gray's story together and is one of the most fitting ends to a group or partnership in V5, in my opinion.

BDA: Maraoone for the death of Juhan Levandi. Juhan's whole story is a great marker of how Mara has improved as a writer over the course of V5, and his death scene is a lot of fun to read.
Goto Top

Anti-Gone
Unregistered

Skipping BKA, sorry.

BDA: Man, for me, this was nearly a coin toss between Takeshi and Michael. I really liked the bitterness and surprise of Takeshi's, but in the end, I'm going with dmboogie, for the death of Michael Mitchellson, who really delivered on a violent, saddening front. I also find it fitting that V5's funny man was the last one to die before the final 10 were left, and the idea of trying to find quotes for him amuses me.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Gray Emerson

Out of the four available kills, this is a very easy choice. Gray killing Sean was a huge plot point and I got goosebumps when I read it. Deamon really carried the tone of the thread and made Gray really sing. I cannot wait to see where he takes this BKA.

BDA: Takeshi Yoshikawa

Way to close out a character with a nice spin on the final thoughts trope. Muinnin/Maraoone/Sansa really knocked it out of the park but thinking about it Takeshi's death post is the biggest thing I took away from that thread. That last line blew me the fuck away. Way to go.
Goto Top

Sir Guest the Twenty-Third
Unregistered

BKA: Gray Emerson

There were a lot of really good kills this round from a writing perspective, but for me what puts Gray a notch up is how big a risk for his story his kill was. Gray has been one of the most solidly moral characters in V5 for much of the game, and his choice to kill one of his friends, in my opinion, flies completely in the face of that. The thing is, it also makes total sense. It's the culmination of a plot that's been bubbling for over half the game, one where Gray's own trusting nature coupled with just a hint too much stubbornness pushes him to the last place he would ever want to go. I have no idea where Gray's going to go from here, but in a good way--it's rare to see such a turn so late in the game, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

BDA: Sean Mulcahy

This was a really tough one. Lots of worthy deaths this time around, and I had to go reread to tiebreak a three-way dilemma. What pushes Sean over the top for me is the way his death functions with the themes of his story. He's been all over the spectrum of grounded vs. out there, and it would've been very easy to have Sean's death be a total flight of fantasy. Instead, it quite cannily is one of the most physical and real moments of his story, full of the right sorts of details and never pushing too far on any one idea. It's really well done overall--not perfect, but a super respectable death amid a whole month of such.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's past time (by a good bit ><). Stay tuned for results and the announcement pretty soon here!
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic