Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
v5 Final Ten Congratulations/Opinions
Topic Started: Sep 14 2014, 07:41 AM (713 Views)
decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, since the rolls are official, we can now say

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FINAL TEN

Male Student #3 - Matthew "Matt" Vartoogian
Male Student #7 - Gray Emerson
Male Student #9 - Zubin Wadia
Male Student #20 - Joe Carrasco
Male Student #70 - Joey Grey
Male Student #76 - Hansel Williams
Female Student #5 - Madeline Wilcox
Female Student #27 - Amaranta "Mara" Montalvo
Female Student #61 - Kathryn Nguyen
Female Student #65 - Katarina "K.K." Konipaski

There is one other thing I've been thinking: what are the chances of these characters making the final four and winning it all? Here's my take on the final ten, using both Doylist (handler-based) and Watsonian (character-based) reasoning.

Male Student #3 - Matthew "Matt" Vartoogian
Spoiler: click to toggle

Male Student #7 - Gray Emerson

Male Student #9 - Zubin Wadia

Male Student #20 - Joe Carrasco

Male Student #70 - Joey Grey

Male Student #76 - Hansel Williams

Female Student #5 - Madeline Wilcox

Female Student #27 - Amaranta "Mara" Montalvo

Female Student #61 - Kathryn Nguyen

Female Student #65 - Katarina "K.K." Konipaski

One other thing on the Doylist side: out of the remaining ten handlers, six of them have hero cards, which means it is possible for someone to make it to Endgame by way of a save. In the case of rolls, Matt Vartoogian, Joey Gray, and Kathryn Nguyen have never been rolled over the course of the game - technically it's meaningless, but one could say the RNG has smiled upon them.

What do you think?
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats for everybody~

I'm going to list my endgame dream team on how much I actually like the character and want them to win, so y'now, completely subjective:

The Good:

#1 Amaranta Montalvo - I want Mara to win all-get-out. She's just had this story that keeps on giving, and she's the only one who'd feel incomplete if she didn't go the end.

#2 Hansel Williams - Yup.

#3 Joe Carrasco - Joe fits a mold we've seen before, but does let some new fresh air into it. Other then that, he's gone a long way, met a lot of people, really makes for a neat all-around storyline.

#4 Madeline Wilcox - Maddie's had a lot swerves and turns in her arc, so when she's got the momentum going, she's good. Long as she doesn't get trodded down now, she really could bring a lot to the table.

The Ok:

#5 KK Konipaski - KK's more traditional as a villain, which makes one ask what she would do if she won. Still though, KK's probably the most self aware character hanging just over the meta balcony, so her own commentary and Rattle's narrative gives a good look at villains without needing to completely deconstruct it to make a "point".

#6 Gray Emerson - Even before the crash, Gray was unfortunately caught up in a lot of slow threads with a large numbers of days just straight up non-existent, and he's still been kinda at a snail's speed. Still, the stuff he has done has been interesting, so he's got that going for him.

The No-Thank-You:

#7 Matt Vartoogian - Matt's been built up for late-game villain since the beginning, but G'damn does he need to do it soon/ The most likely to change on this list, for better or for worse.

#8 Kathryn Nguyen - Never been a huge fan of the softball girls, but their breakdown was really fun. That happened pretty late though, and Kathryn has retreated back to the neutral line for me. Not expecting much more.

#9 Joey Grey - Hasn't done a whole lot.

#10 Zubin Wadia - Same reasons as Joey, with the added bonus that he...just doesn't make any sense, and his development has been rather stubborn. I appreciate your awareness on this Decoy, but I wish you'd factor it into your writing.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
the bass and the tweeters make the speakers go to war
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jesus, is it the final 10 already? Time sure has flown.

Congrats to everyone who's made it this far. It's a rare moment to see so many people be invested and follow through on a roleplay for over a year, let alone keep up a strenuous posting schedule for it. I'm really looking forward to the coming weeks, and seeing what sort of endgame shapes up.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations to the final ten! I can't believe how quickly we've arrived at this point.

I just want to take a moment to say how impressed I am with the quality of our top ten overall. There's something I like about every one of the remaining characters, and if someone had told me six months ago that this would be our final ten cast, I'd've said they were being way too optimistic. I'm also pretty stoked that my entire top five is still in the running (even if it's not exactly that big a surprise given I made the call like two months ago ><).

Final Ten writers: If any of you are interested in my feedback and opinion on how your character would do in Endgame/as a winner, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll shoot something your way. I can run a bit long and don't wanna pad out the thread, especially since I also want to discuss some of the reasoning in Decoy's post, which I find very interesting.

First off, I love seeing Watsonian and Doylist used. They're great terms. The following breakdown is Watsonian exclusively; I may provide more Doylist thoughts later, but no promises.

I found the mentions of kills as a metric for advantage/disadvantage interesting, especially because I think most levels can fall neatly into both categories. The big killers are now past the dangers of mid-game, where they are most likely to fall to player hunters/face constant violence from the rest of the student body. They have good armaments, and they often have more experience and are in better shape food-wise, since they're the kids most likely to have not been starving for the past three or four days. On the other hand, they're gonna have a very hard time mustering alliances at the end, and will likely be prioritized over less threatening targets in fights. They also have frequently taken major beatings. It's about how much they can do to avoid getting caught out.

Mid-levels killers tend to not be as large threats in the minds of the rest of the kids, but often there's a reason for that. A lot of the mid-range killers kill mostly from self defense or later turned away from playing, which could actually leave them in a position to be targeted and to not easily/quickly fight back. Their armaments tend to be a mixed bag, and many of them aren't exactly proficient in the use of what they have anyways. It's largely a question of if they can pull themselves together to gun for victory.

Those who haven't killed/have only killed once, a long time ago, tend to be in the worst shape in terms of weapons (or at least weapon know-how) and supplies, but often make up for it through the factor of surprise. So late in the game, it's reasonable to imagine some of them have even been totally forgotten by those classmates they haven't met yet on the island. They're also often the freshest remaining kids, having not been in many fights (there are of course exceptions to this, such as Gray). It's about whether they can move into a more active role and bring themselves to do what they have to in order to see home again.

I haven't read past the first post yet, as an aside, 'cause I started typing and then got into a swing. Apologies for any redundancies due to that.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki

Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations, Arscapi, decoy, BRO, Naft, Dea, Medic, Dan, Rugga, TT and Rattle! And of course the people who write the announcements. And the guys who write the Meanwhile stuff! And the people wrote V5 and read V5. And obviously Zetaboards for not crashing again.

The Endgame I'd love to read would be Hansel vs Maddie vs Matt vs Mara and, as I think it might be a Final Five, due to the fact that V1, V2 and V4 all had a Final Five IC, the fifth finalist I would wish would be Joe.

And I'd love to read some real awesome Final Ten scenes, just like before. Remember the V4 scene, with Ivan, Tabi, Aston and Aaron? The one where Kim and Reiko allied till the more than epic Endgame? I want something like that.

Or the V3 scene, where Steve and Ryan went to the hospital and were attacked by Reeves and Ryan wrote that letter? And that epic fight with Riz and Eddie? And again that Endgame.

Or V2: Rob and Mari fought and also Jana and Beth died in that thread. And Mari fought with Damien and Damien had one of the most memorable death scenes of V2. And then there was that scene where Mari and Bryan reunite. And also the Endgame.

And of course V1, with a car chase that ended with the destruction of the warehouse. Oh yes, I want to see more destruction in V5 as well. You know the scene, where Jack hid in the chopper to kill Kaige, who killed Drew Lynn? Maybe the Dodd one-shots? And, who expected it, the super large Endgame?

So, it doesn't matter how far these characters go, whether it's Endgame or not: make the V5 Final Ten moments awesome and memorable. Oh yes, and the Endgame, too. Make it epic.

So my opinion on every finalist is as following.

Matt is someone who I really want to go far, I think his concept was a nice and realistic one and he's an underdog, too. But yeah, what Persy said, if the scenes were a bit more happening, it'd be more thrilling to read or so. But I liked his latest thread where Finn wants to go kill, while Matt didn't, so that certainly is cool. And a bit ironic. His plans were in his first post and he had rules, just like Maddie. So having rules helps. That's a fact.

Gray is a pretty cool character, doing some stuff with Andi first and now is with Sean. I'm not sure about him winning, I mean he'd be a cool Endgame finalist, but if he wins, I think it'd be interesting if he'd be in V6, Sydney Morvran style, because he has no kills yet. But, he's a nice realistic character. But I wish Dawn was alive.

Zubin went from Russian Roulette to Belgian Roulette and he survived, with some story with Brian and Ruby and Ami in between. I liked his story with Tyler. I miss Tyler. And yeah, he's surely makes scenes more interesting and awkward, which is pretty interesting to read. But yeah, Zubin is not exactly what I thought would happen when I read a Bear Grylls, but he's basically the last escapee. Could he be the Jack O'Connor of V5? I don't think so, because stone deaths are pretty V3. But, to be fair things I really liked about him were his avengers ratio post, or his introduction post: Rule Number 0 - Don't go to trips. And some other moments.

Joe is a wonderful character, it's good people recommended him to me. So you know what to do? Read him. I like also his relationship with Travis. I think I should read his pregame. I really, really pray that Travis and Joe would meet again :c

First, congratz to Dan for being tied with Dodd with the most times in the F10 on Main. Joey is currently the only adopted character, as far as I know it so yeah. Every Main Endgame had an adopted character, so I'm not sure what will happen to Joey and what not. Dan and Rattle (and maybe Rugga, if Evo counts...but there nobody won so nvm) already won a version, but there's nothing wrong to do it again (after all Toben did it, too). But Joey did not do much, so yeah. But his interaction with Kam, the thread with Tyler and that sleepover thread was nice, imo. But, I really wish that Joey will do something super cool in the Final Ten!

Hansel is my fave character of Naft (Sorry Natali) and I seriously want him in Endgame at least. It'd be so anti-climatic if he wasn't. His threads, his scenes, his narrative, his handler, everything was right. Actually, you know what? I don't care if he's in Endgame or not. He actually would be a winner of V5. Just like Bryant Carver and Samuel Wilson. Naft did a damn good job and put all the right work in. Hansel did win my heart. I'll recommend him to every V6 newbie who orders a cowboy. Also congratz for surpassing Dodd in threads. The fight with Theo, the revenge with Theo, the allying with Andi, that unrolled death. If V5 had a best-of, he'd have a lot of screentime. To not look like a complete Hansel fanboy I'll admit that I did not like the idea that he was a cowboy, cause that sounded a bit odd and unrealistic and it sounded like an earlier version concept (but, I met cowboys myself in cities, so it apparently isn't odd at all). Also, I don't like his name. Hansel sounds like a super strange name. That's why I pronounce him Hunsel. But yeah, the execution of him is just. Awesome.

Maddie has a super nice plot and I totally like her rules. Does anybody remember them? But yeah, her scenes with Nina and RJ: Awesome. Can't really wait to hear them. In that audio thread thingy! Yeah, her early game was pretty legendary and she's hopefully go farther. And she has the best weapon. Instantrecommend.

Mara is a super nicely developed character which I just want to see in Endgame, because her character, story and scenes were perfect: The scene where she killed Ray, the scene where she gave the pizza, the current scene and of course the Summer Simms thread. Oh yeah, that thread was cool. I love grenades. I think know that Rugga does the best inserts.

Kathryn is a character, that I honestly haven't read completely yet, but I'll catch up. From what I've read tho, she was in nice scenes. And she was in a group of important people (softball girls), that have a pretty cool story. That's what I heard, because I did not realize that group was a thing until like the 2/3 mark? But, her surname is Nguyen. You know what that means? I don't. But well, I'll probably read her and the team.

KK is an excellent character and everybody loves her. And she's the first BKA winner. And every first BKA winner went far (except in V3). She hasn't hooked me really like other characters, but I like her scenes and her concept and character! Wouldn't mind going somebody else further, but wouldn't mind her going further. Actually, now that I think of it: Rosemary. Yeah, Rosemary.

And that was it. I'm crazy/tired/potato. Might edit. Might not. It's a mystery.

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I just wanted to pop by and say:

1) Congrats to everyone who's gotten here. I've had the pleasure of working with most of you at this point, and I look forward to whatever happens going forward.

2) I apologize for not having read enough to have good opinions from an OOC perspective. I've been really bad about reading writing out of my domain this version.

3) If anyone wants to offer me feedback on Matt, especially pertaining to stuff they'd like to see out of him, feel free to drop a line.
The Living:

Matt Vartoogian -- Weapon: Unarmed -- "This isn't a game. This is evil." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Cassandra Black -- Weapon: Kama -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Virgil Jefferson-Davis -- Weapon: Saiga-12 -- "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply