Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V6 Concepts Thread
Topic Started: Apr 5 2014, 01:39 PM (12,398 Views)
General Goose
Member Avatar
Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
HARSH FEEDBACK FOR ERRYBODY.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Sep 9 2014, 06:07 AM
Here's some harsh feedback!

Don't let other people's opinions dictate your characters. Write what you like, and damn the consequences.

I'll play myself out.
^_^
Turtle's Signature

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Sep 9 2014, 06:07 AM
Don't let other people's opinions dictate your characters. Write what you like, and damn the consequences.

Do you want Gavins? Because that's how you get Gavins.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

Sunny Delighted
Member Avatar
your mom wanted to make sure that her clothes didn’t steal the spotlight from her new haircut so she went with this feather fringed semi-transparent catsuit w/modesty pleather panels in a simple, understated black.
[ *  *  * ]
Naft you are the harshest <3

In the interest of bouncing ideas off each other, I'm going to try to give my (unsolicited, un-expert, but hopefully at least a little helpful) opinion on some concepts. Hopefully I'll eventually get to touch everyone's, but for now I'll just do the next five handlers after RemoteControl so kindly shared some words.

--

Seth Crimson - Dickish characters are cool, I love them, and the fact that you realize that you used to be one gives me confidence that you won't make your SI too unbalanced. Just remember that even dicks have something redeemable about them, and you should be golden.

Espi - Ryder: Stuck up but still a nice person is an interesting combo, and I look forward to see how you're going to pull that off. Also it's nice that he still is in contact with his mom, it's an interesting family dynamic all around.

Sadie: Seems like a solid concept, I wonder how she's faring in school now if she's kind of lazy, and how her weirdness affects her social life. Also robotics club, we love robotics club.

Arianna: So much potential ballet in V6, a control freak ballerina seems pretty perfect. Having other hobbies like painting and blogging balances her out nicely, so good on you!

Ciel - THANKS FOR RAISING THE CHARACTER CAP YOU'RE SO COOL

Jasmine: Oh my gosh I will not be able to handle the weeb it's too strong. I have faith in your ability to pull it off, just know if she's appropriating because she really doesn't know any better, or just doesn't care. Will she grow out of this, find out on the next episode of Dragon B- SOTF?

Aisha: Oh no she's cute, reminds me of Gretchen Wieners let me love her

Alex: If you actually put any references to who-know-who outside of OOC stuff I will bop you on the nose. It'll make him seem like a joke, and he seems pretty interesting outside of that.

Piers: CHARACTER INCEST UGH STOP but I like his name? I want to know more so that's good.

Un-Persona Walt: I already like this kid's story, I am a sucker for uncool kids becoming cool. Him being almost over-confident and cocky makes a lot of sense.

Mitzi: Cute name for a quirky girl. Someone that's actually a slow learner seems uncommon enough to be interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing you pull all her interests together.

Hazel: Korean mafia? Eh, why not? I'll forever call her Mojo Jojo in my head, but she's got a sweet hook and I'm popcorning at how far she goes with the gambling.

CondorTalon Sandra: Is she good at all her sports? I like the sporty girls too, and the boasting sounds fun to play out.

Jennifer: Shy people are sort of hard for me to play, but they do exist and I think watching her against others will be interesting. Especially since she actively doesn't like attention.

Nancy: It's okay Nancy you're cool to me. I'm giggling at her perceived popularity though, poor sweet idol child, it's an interesting trait.

----

Hopefully I said something that got you thinking if nothing else, but you guys seem to have a pretty good handle on things. Rock on with your bad selves.
Edited by Sunny Delighted, Sep 9 2014, 07:54 PM.
The Fallen Everdreamers

Spoiler: click to toggle

Quote:

Egads Sunny
Egads You should be Cobra Commander
Sunny NO.
Egads But when you hit the moneyshot, you can yell "COOOOOOOBRAAAAAAAAAA"

Quote:

SenatorGoose marriage
SenatorGoose is a sacred bond
SenatorGoose between a man, a woman and some shoes

Quote:

mib_fy9526like
mib_fy9526ask me a state
mib_fy9526I can name its Senatots

The New Doomed Kids

Spoiler: click to toggle

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Aw, you're the nicest Sunny. Naft is just a lying liar who sits on a throne of lies.

Anyway, in compensation, I'm willing to offer feedback to whoever wants. Just PM me about it so I don't om-nom-nom this thread.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Round III!

Yeah, as I stated, my opinion isn't that much important and I hope it won't change much of the wonderful concepts, just saying my open thoughts/reactions.

So, Sunny's concepts. I already like the names!

I like the fact that Rochelle is an old concept that is not given up! Her backstory sound pretty awesomely developed and her personality also seems to be pretty uniquely and dephtly developed. The gaming stuff, as well as the good at school stuff is a pretty neat combination. Her pregame sure will be interesting and the fact that she wants to become a doctor might also add super nice things! She seems like a nice more dimensional character and I think she'll be pretty awesome to read!

Rhiannon's band thing is also pretty cool in pregame, especially when we have a band in pregame! Her family story is also pretty nice and I bet that her siblings will be pretty awesome characters, maybe in pregame or even in Meanwhile. Her harshness might be pretty interesting, as it might affect other characters as well as herself. And the jealously and popular thingies are also a super awesome idea, as V6 might have popular characters, whom she might react to. I really, really like the idea of how she views the other people and how she might be reacting to them. I totally want to know how she develops in the school and on the island and what she'll do and if she might succeed. So she's definitely on my V6 to-read list!

And JDelgado's.

Sarah's extrovertedness probably be pretty interesting in pregame and especially the attention loving aspect. I have no doubt that it will be an awesome character, after all you wrote Lily.

Sam is probably my favourite concept of you and will probably a character I will love to read in pregame/game. I really love the concept of ghost hunting, it might put a different atmosphere in pregame or in the memories! Her having a creative mind, might be also cool. She's a pretty original character that I will like to read.

Yay! Another balletclub member! Annabel seems like a pretty cool character, and I think the scenes with her in pregame will be pretty awesome. Especially when she, as a serious person, will meet a character that is less serious or silly. The interaction with her and her classmates will be pretty cool, I bet. Maybe it will affect her story on the island as well. I'm looking forward!

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm still not sure if I'm gonna join V6, but I do have concepts in mind. Might as well post them.

Junko Kurosawa- Junko is a little adrenaline junkie. As a kid she had seen an episode Jackass and tried to come up with her own stunts with her friends similar to the show, only to get punished and told not to do it. While she doesn't do that anymore, she still loves being athletic and a bit of a show-off. She practices parkour/free-running, rollerblades when she's not doing that, and I'm considering putting her on a sports team (most likely track). Generally, if it involves stunts, being fast, or just being physical she goes "Sweet, sign me up!". While she doesn't do the whole Jackass thing anymore, she still has a bit of an adventurous and thrill-seeking personality.

Junko is the adoptive daughter of a lesbian couple, and as a result of both this and personally identifying as pansexual she is sensitive about LGBT issues. I'm thinking she is a member of the school's GSA (if there is one), and is open about her support of LGBT rights. Homophobia in particular tends to rile her up.

When she isn't being an adrenaline junkie, she has a few geeky interests. Junko likes comic books, video games, and animation (both anime and Western). Her favorites tend to be more or less action oriented; Junko plays a lot of fighting games, is fond of Dragonball Z, and likes superhero comics.

Personality wise, she's, as you might expect, tomboyish. I'm thinking she's somewhat cocky and a bit of a show-off. One thing I can see happening is her pulling herself over a waist-high fence parkour-style to see a friend on the other side, as casually as possible like it's nothing weird. Might have a bit of a temper too.

She's not super fleshed-out yet, so some of this may change.

Second concept- I'm honestly not sure if I should post this here, but I do have another concept in mind. However, I need help with it, so I'm asking about the topic like I did with Lana way back when.

I'll hide it behind a spoiler tag just in case, due to the nature of the topic.

tw: contains descriptions of abuse and its aftermath

Thanks in advance. Sorry if it seems like I'm being dumb or whatever. It's a topic I want to write about, but I want to make sure it's treated well.

Only two right now. I may post again later.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I got one concept, might as well post it...

CHARITY EVANS:

Lesbian guitar player. Enjoys social gatherings. Laid-back, but a dedicated worker. Part of the school newspaper staff. Might be from adopted parents, haven't decided that yet.

*looks up*

... I swear I didn't read Kami's concept before posting this. >_<
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
"I am not sick. I am broken. But I am happy to be alive as long as I can paint." --Frida Kahlo
[ * ]
I have another idea, although since this one is based off a real person I'm a little unsure of whether I should do it or not.

Brian Harris: very into auto mechanics, has multiple beat-up vehicles that he fixes and tweaks in his free time, sometimes with his dad. he's smart but struggles with school sometimes and has considered dropping out more than once.

More to come if I actually end up doing this. What are you guys' thoughts on basing a character off a real person without said person's knowledge?
"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Don't do it! They always find out and it always gets awkward as hell. Jessa Vanallen used to be an insert of someone her handler knew IRL, same name and all, and the real one came to SOTF and almost found She Bop before Toben intervened.

In short: Don't do it.

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
"I am not sick. I am broken. But I am happy to be alive as long as I can paint." --Frida Kahlo
[ * ]
Well, to be fair I would change the name. To give some context, this is my brother, who doesn't know I'm on the site. If he did find out, he probably wouldn't hate me, but yeah awkwardness would ensue. I don't know.
"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It honestly probably isn't worth the trouble, just come up with someone fresh.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh man, that has to be the worst.

Getting internet infamy you didn't even know about because someone wrote a thing where you get raped with a vase without telling you. That is the stuff of nightmares. O_O
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
She didn't seem interested in looking for it, she was just going through reporting every single post with her name in it. Chat was waiting with bated breath to see what would happen if she found She Bop, but Toben went into turbo mode to head that off at the pass, PMed her to talk about removing the insert-y stuff by the time she was like two threads in. That's got to be an absolutely shitty thing to go through though, on her end.
Edited by The Burned Handler, Sep 21 2014, 03:14 PM.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tense times all around. It's where this rule comes from (also purging names can take forever). I suggest, if you're doing anything even close to an insert, that you add a really solid layer of fictionalization. Change details heavily, make them a different gender and replace half their hobbies or whatever, just so you get some deniability. Part of writing for many people is getting inspiration from real life, but generally speaking it's best to not slot in anyone recognizable without their permission, and certainly not in any way they can be found/identified. It just gets really awkward for them.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V6 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply