Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Death to Buddy; Open - Late Night, Day 6 - Now Day 7, Before Announcement - DZ'd
Topic Started: Mar 7 2014, 12:47 AM (940 Views)
VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Madeline Wilcox continued from Affluenza))

It had been a long day.

After she and RJ had fled from the gated community they stopped and went to sleep in one of the various abandoned houses. Then they woke up and the announcements played. Alex was dead. Maddie didn't know how to react to it, just like the news of Yaz's death. Her two best friends at Aurora, both dead.

The two of them spent most of the rest of the day wandering around aimlessly, Maddie not knowing where to go or what to do, RJ seemingly not caring. She didn't say much of anything beyond occasionally asking RJ if he was okay, she simply didn't feel like talking. When they finally found a place to stay, a parking garage near the nuclear plant, she silently sat next to one of the walls, shutting out the world for a while.

When she finally left her near comatose state, it was late at night already. RJ invited her into one of the cars in the garage, and she obliged, hiding in it with him. She sat in the car quietly, still not really talking. Still stuck in her own thoughts.

Then RJ asked her a question. What did she think about?

She spoke for the first time in hours. "Well..."

She hesitated for a moment.

"I think about a lot of things... it's probably better to name what I don't think about..." She paused. "Like... for instance... I try to avoid thinking about the imminent future." Her voice softened. "I'd rather not imagine myself dying..."

She paused, her voice still quiet. "If anything I'd rather avoid thinking about the situation we're in entirely. Almost like I'm childishly thinking that if I ignore it it will go away and things will go back to the way they were." She whispered to herself. "If only..."

She stared at the floor of car, addressing RJ once again. "What I avoid thinking about the most, though, is what would happen if this... awful place... finally broke me. I don't know what would happen, I don't want to know what would happen." She curled up, pulling her limbs inward. "I hope it never gets to that point..." She turned her head and stared out the window of the car, looking at the other cars in the garage. She whispered, faintly. "Maybe it already has..."

She turned back to RJ. "Does that answer your question?"
Turtle's Signature
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Would it really be okay for any of us to go home?"

Maddie said that statement quietly, pausing for a brief moment after.

"In order to leave this place in the first place... you have to kill at least one other person." She put her feet down and leaned over to grab a bit of bread from her bag. "That makes anyone who leaves here, no matter who it is, a murderer. Just like... just like... you and I." She paused and looked at the floor, she still didn't like the fact that she was a murderer, but continuing to deny it to herself wasn't going to get her anywhere.

"I don't think it's okay for me to go home anymore, either, but if at least one murderer has to go home... why not me? I... want to survive after all." She nibbled on her bread. Truth be told, she wasn't sure if she wanted to go home anymore, to be the one survivor of the game. It could easily be too much for her to bear.

But even so, she still wasn't about to just give up and die. "That's the way I see it, at least." She put her bread away.

She looked out at the night sky, then back at the floor. She blinked. "Do I deserve to survive over anyone else? I don't think so. But I want to at least try." Why did she want to survive anyway? She didn't have any real reason. No more of a real reason than anyone else. The answer was that she simply had the selfish desire for a few more minutes of life, every few minutes at a time.

She looked at RJ from the corner of her eye. "Does that make any sense?"
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maddie sat there silently. She didn't know what to say to that. Even if RJ just said what they were both thinking, she didn't know how to respond. She had grown to like RJ as they'd been together. He was nice and was good company. His presence had kept her from going too crazy. If she had to continue to be here she didn't want her time with RJ to end, despite the rather dangerous run-ins with others, she felt safe with him and she didn't want that to change.

She supposed that she could just tell him that. "I know it can't go on but... I actually feel pretty safe with you. Knowing I can rely on another person to help me out, and all."

She looked down at the floor. "I've also sorta grown to like you over the time we've spent together, you're amiable and all around pretty cool."

She paused and looked up, considering what to say next. "I don't know what happened with you and Lauren, but however it happened I don't think you did it entirely on purpose. The terrorists spin things so as to convince us to fight each other, heck, they can even convince us to fight with ourselves, making our crimes seem even worse than they are."

She stopped, stuck on her last phrase. "Sorta like what they said about me and Nina..."

She looked back at the floor. "Ech, that was sorta a tangent. Sorry."

She lightly bit the end of her tongue. "I guess I just want to say... I know it can't last forever, but as long as the both of us are alive I don't see why not, right? Look out for each other until the bitter end?"
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maddie looked over at RJ to see that he seemed to be having some sort of panic attack. She reached over, her hand close to his shoulder. "RJ? Are you alright?" She placed her hand on his shoulder. He didn't seem to notice. "RJ? What's wrong?" She didn't know what to do, he obviously seemed to be having difficulties. Perhaps some fresh air would do him good. She leaned over and reached past him to roll the window down. The wind blew into the car a bit, but it was weaker than it had been earlier.

RJ was still curled up, clenched. She wasn't sure exactly what was going on and what RJ needed, but she wanted to help any way that she could. "Do you need any water?" She asked him. "Or food? Or is it a sudden headache that's ailing you? I could get the painkillers from the first aid kit." He didn't say anything. He just remained curled up. "RJ... please. I'm worried. Say something."

And he did say something, although it was muffled and she didn't quite catch exactly what he said. She felt some relief, it wasn't something too serious, at the very least. She guessed he just needed his space. "Well, um, if you need anything, feel free to ask. I can help you with whatever you need."

With that she drew her limbs inward and placed her head on the headrest of the car seat. It was getting late, they should both probably sleep soon, so as to be as alert as possible tomorrow.

She yawned, feeling the cool breeze from the open window as her eyelids grew heavy.
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maddie's eyes continuously grew heavy as she sat there. She wanted to stay awake a bit longer, to make sure that RJ was going to be okay, but her eyes shut from the exhaustion and she fell asleep shortly.

Maddie awoke with a start.

Another nightmare. She sighed. Her sleep was getting less and less restful as time went on in this place. She saw RJ awake shortly after her. He seemed to be alright, she was glad.

She was also hungry. She opened her bag about the same time RJ opened his and pulled out the tin of crackers from yesterday. She cracked it open and ate a few of the crackers. They were stale, but they didn't taste odd, they tasted like regular stale crackers, so she wasn't about to worry.

RJ said something just before the announcements came on. She would've responded, but she wanted to listen. More dead, of course, almost as much as yesterday. She would've thought that the rate of people dying would've decreased by now, given how many people have already died. There should be less fighting and less death because of it. She supposed that worrying about the logic of a death game is sort of pointless and went back to eating the crackers.

Then she heard the DZ announcements. A bunch of permanent danger zones. And she was in one of them. Surrounded by them even. She heard RJ urge her to get moving and she did, throwing her things back into her bag and quickly zipping it up before following RJ and running out of the garage and into the open.

((Madeline Wilcox continued in Dreams Walk On Powerlines))
Edited by VoltTurtle, Mar 29 2014, 08:13 PM.
Turtle's Signature

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Parking Garage · Next Topic »
Add Reply