Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,536 Views)
Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Could you please roll me a character, if possible?
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finished reading Kyrie.

She… existed to say the least. I like how in her earlier threads she attempts to ally and be friends with everyone, despite the fact that that is generally a very bad idea, which, if she didn’t end up joining the escape attempt, would have most likely caused her death, making a pretty interesting end for a character. She isn’t without her flaws though, in all of her later threads (Everything that is #6: Escape or Bust onwards), she seems… fused to Max in a way, essentially being the same character saying and thinking two different things, with her death post being the exception. There isn’t any reasoning for this (except for the fact that both characters have the same handler), and it comes off as weird and makes it harder to distinguish between the two. Other than the occasional typo (which made some of her scenes lose a bit of impact), and the fusing problem I mentioned earlier, she’s fine.

Roll me another character, if possible.
Edited by Yugikun, Sep 19 2014, 10:50 PM.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Un-Persona
Sep 19 2014, 10:55 PM
Yugi: Riz

Oh god.
Edited by Yugikun, Sep 20 2014, 04:30 AM.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finally finished reading Rizzolo.
J.R Rizzolo writeup

Tl;dr: J.R is great and you should read him if you are looking for a good example of a standard player.

Roll me another character, if you may.
Edited by Yugikun, Oct 24 2014, 04:48 AM.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I read Dennis’ profile and not only does he have a biography that doesn’t go into his past except for the fact that he was bullied and HE TOTALLY LOVES COMPUTERS YOU GUYS, he has a advantages and disadvantages section which contradicts itself and has a long list of disadvantages, all of which are completely down to chance.

I can tell that this is going to be great already.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dennis was controlled by a handler who not only changed writing style every single post, but didn’t bother to read how the collars work (like, on a basic level, i.e, he thought they sent a knife up your throat rather than exploding) even when he was hinging an escape attempt.

He attempts to have an Emotional Breakdown at Neil at the death of two SADD members but it just comes off as him having a hissy fit which is entirely unprompted (especially since he went almost 5 pages without posting at all).

He then goes inactive and is killed by Adam Dodd in an idiotic move that didn’t really make any sense (essentially, his reasoning was that he wanted to be the person who kills Dodd because he was eventually going to kill everybody in his class, or something like that), and that’s the end of that.

Also, he says OOC stuff IC for whatever reason.

Roll me another.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
readthroughofheathertilmett

V3 is the first piece of fiction that contests whether an abortion was done with a lamp or a vase.

I'm not sure whether I want to find out if there's more of this on the internet.

Roll me another, please.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Galen is this weird fusion of Hiroki Sugimora and the Suicide lovers in BR, having him only care about Nadine to the point where it’s his defining trait (the very first thing he says on the island is literally “WHERE’S NADINE”).

He then decides to make a suicide pact with Nadine and they both jump off a cliff, except he decides to back out of it at the last minute (which was actually pretty interesting). He then gets killed when Nadine gets pissed off at him for not killing himself and then they both kill each other.

Also, for whatever reason he used internet emoticons in his posts.

Tl;dr he’s actually pretty interesting when he decides to break the suicide pact, but other than that he’s this weird hiroki clone.

FEED ME MORE CHARACTERS
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Adonis' handler, Zabriel, literally intended Adonis to be "the perfect man", and made him into an intentional reference to the Greek gods.

Well this is going to be good.

Anyway, Adonis was written to be a major mary sue character, but he doesn’t even end up doing anything after he fights Bobby Jacks for a bit and then he’s inactive killed.

At least his profile gave me some unintentional laughs with the way it was written ("Adonis is the pinnacle of masculine beauty. He has long black dreadlocks and a well muscled body. His dark caramel complexion and expressive brown eyes give him a very exotic look.")

Another.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jonathan really didn’t start out strong, starting out with a handler sharing two characters in the same thread (and not in a “they fuse” way, he makes it so that they have separate posts that come at random and are impossible to tell who’s the focus of the post). He then disappears and goes inactive, and he’s led out of the thread by SOTF_Help.

He then gets taken over by DN, and he actually becomes fairly good. His character essentially becomes this self-aware person who makes a humorous quip at most of the things he does, and while they didn’t make me laugh, it wasn’t awful either, and some of the quips did make me smile a bit.

I also liked his relationship with Dawn, and the way he interacts with her on the island and how they develop into loving one another. It was pretty well written and it doesn’t feel forced or out there, compared to some of the characters I’ve read before.

I also liked his death (even though it was a songpost (Why were there so many of those in V3?)), which shows that all he wanted was to make his father proud by using his last moments to help Noah find Lex Machina.

Tl;dr he sucks until he gets adopted, and then he becomes great.

MOAR
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok I got andy he’s not the one I want but maybe he’ll be half decent, let's check how many threads he has first though
Posted Image
No.

Wait, I have to say something about him anyway?

Fineeeeeee

Andy existed then he got shot by Bobby in the head while he wasn’t looking. The end.

10/10

Another, if you may.
Edited by Yugikun, Nov 1 2014, 08:32 PM.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lance shared his story with Heather, another character that I had read before, so I didn’t need to read much of him to get the complete story of him.

So after he eviscerates his girlfriend, he goes out of the hospital carrying the dead fetus of Heather, only to get shot by Melina Frost with Heather’s gun. Lance’s Trivia section on the wiki outright admits that both he and Heather were simply plot devices, but they don’t serve any importance to the plot of either V3 or SOTF as a whole (aside from being the primary example of why we don’t have pregnant characters anymore, according to TBH), nor do they even contribute to the rest of the thread, having it become a fight between Melina and Paul Smith. Basically it seems to me that both of these characters existed to just show that the handler could write gory scenes, and it comes off as extremely distasteful and tactless for me to like either the writing in the scene (Admittedly, I liked the writing and thought processes of both Heather and Lance), nor the characters, who could have been interesting but instead became plot devices to show off how the handler could write gore.

Another, please. Hopefully it’ll be better and less distasteful.

I should probably stop writing about characters when I am literally on the verge of falling asleep, that can't be good for me
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And I was hoping to get Sean :-(
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, so I finally finished Kallie.

Essentially, Kallie spends the majority of her time on the island trying to find Guy Rapide, Darnell Butler, and Keith Jackson on the logic of “If I’m going to die here, I want to die with the people I care about”, running across the whole island in her quest to find them. Unfortunately, every time she tries to go somewhere, she’s bombarded with people who wish to be in a group with her (this happens in almost every thread she’s in, fun fact), until she actually finds someone (Guy and Keith) and joins a group with them. Guy gets separated and killed, and she and Keith go inactive together.

…Or not. She is then adopted by Dodd, joins the escape plot, and then proceeds to do, think and say nothing, even when the fighting begins (her death isn’t even told from her perspective, just to bring the point home). I understand that there wasn’t much that Kallie could do after she got her collar off; but to suddenly turn into a secondary for Keith and Adam seems wrong and degrading, in my opinion. It also shows the negative effects that adoption can bring (e.g. not measuring up to the original handler’s interpretation of them, becoming a secondary if the new handler is selfish).

Despite the adoption ruining her, I actually liked Kallie a lot! She had a lot of great individual moments as a character, such as a particular moment in her second thread where she bitches out everyone in the thread (Including Matt, Dodd, Sean, and Andy) with her on why she doesn’t want to be in a group with them, and each reason actually hits home for each character, and (from what I know of Matt) actually effects their stories in a way.

If I was forced to mention problems with her pre-adoption, I’d have to say that she gets caught in a lot of giant clusterfuck threads, which have characters who don’t really belong in the scene. I understand that it’s not really Meg’s fault for this, but it made Kallie really hard to read, because sometimes Joe Randompersonwhohasnorealcorrelationwiththescene comes and tries to talk to her, and I ended up skipping most of the non-relevant stuff in her threads.

Tl;dr: Great until she gets adopted.

MOAR CHARZCTERS PLZ
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Un-Persona
Nov 22 2014, 07:38 PM
Do you want me to take him off your hands/trade?
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply