Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,521 Views)
TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mhh...I'm probably not a good critiquist, but I'll try a character as I recently finished Day 9 and am currently in Day 10. (But I rarely have read profiles and Pregame)

Let's hope I roll Don Joesi Let's not.

Edit: If I roll Renee, Ken or Dodd do I have to critique their V1 and V2 threads, too?
Edited by TwelveFourtyFive, Feb 3 2014, 03:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mhh, I didn't know Tyson had Pregame threads until know, but I guess I found them...maybe I've missed some. (I wonder why they're not on the wiki :/ )

Tyson's profile - Actually neat, even though it was V3 like (nowdays I guess there wouldn't be similies allowed or something like that). Realistic character, I could imagine him existing in this universe and meet him...well his history was not that realistic, because coincidentally his childhoodfriend Sean entered the same school with him after having not met for years. And they both get abducted. What a coincidence. I mean if there was a logical reason why they joined the same school, I'd have liked his profile more.

Tyson's relationships were both with Namira's characters and other characters (In the Bonefire). And his other Pre-Game/Memories(A Day in the Park, Party Hardy Rock and Roll) gave him a good amount of characterization and relationships. Even though Tyson was more a sidecharacter.

On the Island he was an instant player with the usual "kill or be killed" logic. He aimed with his gun on Bobby and mocked him by saying Bobby already committed murder. Is talking with instead of instant shooting Bobby logical? Probably not. But the talking fit Tyson's characterization. Maybe Tyson wanted to tell himself killing Bobby wouldn't be bad as he was a murderer before. Maybe it was because Tyson's an asshole. Maybe it was because Tyson was stupid. Or because Tyson tried to be badass or witty before killing Bobby. We won't know as Fragmentation was written from Bobby's POV. And the talk wasn't that long as Tyson was about to shoot and close to kill Bobby, so it is probably realistic. Then Tyson was killed and like most Bobby kills they were really cool and interesting. It was a bit graphic and gorey, which was a good thing, because unlike other deaths it wasn't over the top. And it made sense and was just logical, because, you know, Bobby had a syringe as a weapon. And that's faster than punching him to death.

Now would V3 have been better if Tyson shot Bobby? I don't think so. I like the fact that Bobby killed him. I think it might have been interesting if he met someone else than Bobby Jacks. But what would've he done? My guess that he'd have been a dick to other characters and/or might have succeeded killing others, I mean he had a decent weapon (But then poor Bobby would've just had the syringe). So he could've been a potential killer. We'll never know. Would he be original? Not really. He would've been an asshole villain, which happened many times before. Tyson was an asshole and according to his profile a coward. In contrast Bobby was more sympathic and a badass. Therefore it's good Bobby wasn't killed and he was.

What else can I say? Tyson was a fodder character. Now was he, in my opinion, used good or not as that? I can't tell because I can't judge because I have no experience. (Which is a reason why it was a bad idea to sign up for this Read-A-Thon, because I have no idea how to judge a character. And it'd have been better to read a review of Tyson by another handler.) But I'll try.
History Time. The very first kill of one owns character with another of ones characters was committed in 2005 by Jacob Starr who shot Alan Shinwrath with- oh yeah I should stop talking 'bout V1. Okay let's focus on V3. According to the wiki page Tyson wasn't killed for his weapon and was just killed of because it was difficult to RP as him. I think that's a justifiable reason to use him as a fodder, cause you know Tyson could've been killed by another handler, but then he must've been handled. And he'd have been handled more than a Oneshot. It also gave Bobby not only the weapon he later used to kill other people in an awesome way. But he gave Bobby more character, which is pretty cool.

After Tyson's death he didn't only influence and was mentioned by Namira's characters like Bobby and Sean, but also by characters like Terrie or Warren (even though he just mentioned him one time), which is a plus point, cause he has some post mortem impact. (There are fodder characters that died and were forgotten forever/never mentioned again).

Therefore I give him a score of six Bill Ritchs out of ten Bobby Jacks.
Should you read him? Definitely yes. And after he dies you should follow Jacks.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is going inactive.

That is bad.

Roll me another one.

Don't let me be sad.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So yeah, Guy Rapide...

His profile was okay for V3. I mean it was pretty interesting, but I heard that parkour was used a lot by other people (But it could be that it was V4, I can't remember). And his profile was written in a different narrative, the first person one. But it was V3 and other characters also did that. And unless eating shit was meant literally, I could imagine meeting him on the street. If it was meant that way however, then it's just weird. I don't know if he's stereotypical, he might be, but I'm not familiar with them. Also it does not happen often that strangers stab kids for no reason, but it at least gave Guy some characterization. He's a coward, with a big mouth and he can run fast. Rapid. I wonder if his name was intentionally Rapide. Maybe. Probably. His profile also was barely about Southridge, which is not as good as if he tells more us about his school life, instead of the street life, I guess. But I think if I was in V3 and read his profile, I could imagine his reputation, and as it was in the first person perspective and how he talks, too. Oh, also, on the island he was nicely described and revealed by other characters, for example Kallie, which was nice, so he had relationships and descriptions despite having no...

Well. Guy had no pregame.

So Guy starts his game at the Small Cottage, a place where something strange will happen later, but let's not mention that. He has a pretty good introduction, without a waking up reaction, just with him meeting the group (But he explains the wake up later). He also was compared indirectly with one of Slacker's V2 characters...however he mispelled the name, oddly. But references are cool, kinda. So he instantly meets his best buddies in the cottage, which is really cool. Darnell and Kallie were his friends, the other people are people Guy barely mentions, but all of them wanted to be peaceful. So, I asked myself: Guy met his (best) friends instantly. Is that good in SOTF or not? Do you prefer to read having people search each other (like Adam and Izzy or Michael and Daniel) or just instantly finding their best/close friends (ala Lenny and Liz or Brook and Jason, who met each other instantly)? I think it worked for Guy, because he splits up with them to join them later to split up again, which is kinda cool in SOTF, as the changing of perspectives is very interesting. I like that.

Like old V1-3 group threads...not much happened. I think it was okay. They just formed a group, then more people joined and then Ken caused drama and paranoia so one member leaves, the others leave, the group is split and new paths open. Thread had drama in it, gave Kallie and Ken and some other characters some real good early-game characterization (although the leadership drama/idea behind the split was not a really original nor an appealing concept to me and I'm not sure whether it was used to characterize them or if that just was a reason to leave the overcrowded thread. Probably the former.). So Guy searches Kallie, leaving Darnell and the others behind. He kinda was attracted to her and is like he was already characterized loudmouthy and perverted in the thread, giving other people information how he's as a person.

Next comes my very favourite scene of Guy! You know, I'm not a fan of accidental deaths, they really can get absurd (dropping scalpels, falling on rocks, sudden exploding), but Alex Steele's death was my favourite accidental death of V3. The thread was a nice introduction to Alex and Guy got a real cool story. I recommend to read it, it really was a nice scene. Guy's reaction also seemed legit and then Alice and Theobaldt and Guy had this meeting. Guy, the short guy, was the heroic guy from the gigantic Theobaldt, who was doing Theobaldt stuff like secretly choking Alice while acting and then leaving. Guy doesn't seem like a villain, despite having that super jerky personality, but not like a hero either. But he seems to be a better person with Alice together. That made Guy a pretty recognizable, not so static, character. It was nice. It was the beginning of a cheesy, cute or cool romance or not. That's a personal matter, I think?

Alice and Guy then left the Mess Hall to find his friends. He actually missed one friend who went to the Mess Hall, but that's just trivial...uh they basically then meet Ken, Kallie and Matt, the first people Guy met. The five of them formed a group, until Guy, Kallie and Alice abandoned the stalker and stoner. Then they met SADD, Maxie and Keith, an important friend of Kallie. Then Alice and Guy left, because it's crowded.

So, Alice/Guy...was not a terrible romance, but not one who grabbed my feelings either. I mean it definitely isn't as good as some of the V2, ones like the Bryan/Tori, Andi/Peter or Ricky/Whitney or Huy/Anna ones nor is it like some of these weird V1 ones, like Wednesday/Chi or Peri/Dorien. I think in early-V3 Alice/Guy and Dodd/Izzy were the most noticeable ones (unless you count the Courtney/Steve/Serenity or Kara/Gabe/Viki/Evan thingy or even the shortlived couples who killed each other). So, it was a romance Oligopoly, maybe? Especially OOC. It was kinda cool and felt a bit anime. At least that's how I imagined. What was your favourite early V3 romance? Or even late romances, which existed quite more often. Inb4 you guys say Lenny/Liz.

Ah, back on the island to the topic. While they were together through the island in some days, meeting people, they created interesting, but not super notable scenes. Guy was being snarky. Alice was being shy. The most notable was probably the scene with Clive and Lilah, because shots were fired and because of the kiss. And then his death. Well, would anybody be surprised if the death is my least favourite part of his story?

I asked myself: Why was that even done? Was it just for the sake of a 72 Hours reference V1-3 already had enough of? I mean, I have to look at the bright side, I liked the idea of retconning who the father of Mary's baby was, I mean, it fit. The knocking out and waking up tied up is also a very nice plot idea. The penis-eating and torture thingy, however, really isn't. It's terrible. Mary could've been characterized different before getting killed off. It was not necessary for her to be batshit crazy and cut people's feet and other limbs, you know? While giving Keith some flashback with Guy is a cool idea, though, it rubs me a bit the wrong way, because Guy mentioning Keith in his thoughts felt random and character pushing. But yeah, I have no idea why people in V3 had a competition for something revolutionary disturbing like that death. This death seems like a way to troll people, really. Also, it was an inactivity kill. Luckily none of our current inactive characters gets treated that way ._.

After he died, he had some impact in the story, by influencing Alice, who School Days-esque took his head and went with it to Guy's acquaintances, which influenced things, until she died.

Well, Alice was in the escape attempt before she went inactive, so I wonder what would've happened if Guy was not inactive. I think he'd have been able to be in the escape attempt and might've escaped. But it also would've been likely that he just would be killed there.

As for the music (this is V3 after all, I can't finish a review without mentioning the songs), I have to admit that the songposts/titles, of the scenes Guy is in, are recommendable to listen to while reading the scenes. It creates a better atmosphere.

So...Guy was one of the better Slacker characters, I could say. He was sane, he was snarky with not much over the top and he did not try to do unique things like BB or Sorenson or stuff like that. While he isn't my favourite Slacker character overall (I might talk about them in the V1-2 Readathon, cause they really were neat), Guy was one of my favourite ones of Slacker in V3.

Should you read Guy? Uh, definitely not the entire thing, like, if you read him just...skip the death, you know? I mean, unless you are into this weird demonic stuff, you can read it, but still. Don't. If you want to read it for the romance, read him (although there are other alternatives). If you want to read it for action, I probably wouldn't recommend it. If you want to get inspired for snarky comments, sure why not. If you want to get inspiration for disturbing scenes for V6, please don't. I beg you :c

---

So:
Just to get a random thought out of my brainhead I'd ask one thing for discussion. What would you guys wish for the V3 Epilogue? It might be completed. Or that's what I hope :<

My wishes would be that firstly, Arty from SADD would be mentioned again. Then that Adam and Izzy marry and Adam renames himself into Adam Cheung (so he cannot be abducted again). Then I'd like to know what Keith does. I'm not sure if that guy is supposed to die in the attempt or survive. Yeah, some Escape flashbacks would be nice to read. With action and stuff. Oh, and of course song lyrics must be there too, I bet.

Third time's the charm, I guess? Roll me another.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Seth Crimson
Dec 16 2014, 05:46 AM
And she gets involved in the escape, where the thread basically turns into a clusterfuck, having to search the thread for where the characters where is frustrating to say the least. And then we don't find out what happens to Terrie, the wiki says she got shot to death in an ambush, but there is nothing like that in the thread.
It got mentioned in the Epilogue from Brad's POV.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lucille! Please come back where you belong.

So, Lucy Arber was a satanist who hates Christians and causes trouble in school, but did not get thrown out, because "The teachers couldn't fail her though, because she would show up on test days and beat the crap out of the exams."

I'm not sure if that works.

So yeah, she hates some classes and was good in math and outside of the satanist thingy, probably a teenagy girl that could've fit in a school setting. Or well, a fantasy RP. I dunno. The conflict between her and her parents (and society) is interesting, though.

But yeah, her profile is very V3. It wasn't formal, but it was subjective (like a narrator...or rather she wrote it herself or so), so I could know how she thinks and speaks and so on. Interestingly she is not antisocial, but apparently a smart individual who thinks other people are sheep.

She dresses also attention-catching and has braces. And tries to violate the school dress code, because why not. The first paragraph of her first post also goes in detail about how she looks and so.

So, what is totally worth mentioning that she just appeared in one day. In character. And out of character she just lived 12 hours!

During this time, she had very nice, fast, intense postings with Cyco.

She wakes up, met Dennis with a "hail satan" (because she's a satanist) and she pisses him off. She did have no pregame (which isn't a bad thing, because V3 pregame was insane), but she had a very, very interesting background story and relationship with Dennis, that basically replaces pregame perfectly. In her profile she's also friends with Lex.

So after Dennis leaves, she throws a rock (this rock did not kill) and Dennis and Lucy had a cool fight scene. Then, Lucy kills Dennis. And then there's a plot twist, which was a pretty nice idea.

Lucy appeared to mock and bully Dennis for no reason or just for fun, but after the revelation for her reasons she became a bit more understandble. Well, the reason did not convince me that much as it was a bit too kitschy for me, but the idea was just awesome.

Then Harry Tsai came, another quick dialogue/fight scene and she got killed by him, therefore was the first player Harry killed. Yeah, Lucy was a cool villain/player I think. In her first post it was directly stated that the satanism isn't the reason she played, but because she wanted to survive in that game. She was not evil, I think, if I ran into her I'd be annoyed of her and also scared. But in the end she was a bit understandable. So, she's not a batshit-insane villain. And I liked that she was kinda an underdog villain, who barely had any impact, because I think that diversity in kills is cool. I like the fact that she just had 1 thread. Neither Dennis or Lucy felt very wasted, the scenes did not feel forced. But I have to admit, that the fact that Lucy just interacted with 2 characters, who both shared one handler made it look like a "cannon fodder scene" for me. But yeah, the plot is what counts and not the OOC stuff. And that certainly was nice. It felt very complete to me and not so foddery.

Although I'm not sure whether it'd be good or bad if she lived longer, though. It could've been interesting scenes, as she had a pretty strong built up and achieved much and got much character during the short time. I mean, she also could've met Lex or met other people. She also was landlocked's fave character, iirc. But we'll never know.

Well, she was not somebody that I felt was super realistic and her concept is pretty strange for me (I have no experience with satanism. Maybe she was written well or not, I don't know.). But outside of that she totally fit in the school setting, which is very cool in V3. The satanism did not bother me that much that I hated to read it and it wasn't that terrible. She was an interesting villain. She might've been evil, but at least after the plottwist she made more sense. And I think she wasn't comic-villainy...although I'm not really sure about that. Actually yes. Or no. I'm not sure. But I'm not gonna break my mind about that. You can just ignore that and she'd be a cool villain.

In the end she was a good short V3 character: lots of plot and stuff happening, no filler. I really liked that the scene was written very quickly! And despite the short time she probably has more character in 12 OOC hours than some characters achieve in a day, probably. Or not, I don't wanna compare. Anyway, she had a great story in these few posts.

Should you read her? Sure, why not, it's pretty short.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmm, okay. Why not.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rattlesnake
Feb 4 2015, 04:29 PM
RC: Antonio Legarda

Bowser: Warren Pace

Xaldien: Antonio Legarda

Xaldien's first roll was Clive, huehuehue

Also I discovered the power to manually type in wiki hotlinks without screwing up
So...does it mean that I have to share Antonio with Xal? Or do I get Clive? Or that I get Antonio while Xal gets Khrysta?

Confusion.

Or you may've not not screwed up, maybe.

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, Anton...

I really liked his profile or rather his concept, which seemed interesting and unique in a good way. Lots of potential.

Then he was on the island, in one thread, where he didn't do much. He basically went into the chapel and prayed. If he had stayed active longer he might've been able to create a plot, where he's the protector of some kind or so. Or something else. But he was not active. He had few posts, where he was there randomly in the thread and in the end achieved no plot.

Then there was his inactive death. I'm split about that. One one hand, I wasn't fond of the sudden snap of Antonio. On the other hand his death was certainly one of the most interesting mutual kills in V3, with the collar pulling.

Another one, please.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply